Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology

Natal Astrology A place to discuss yours and others' birth charts (after you post your own birth chart interpretation). Includes psychological and relocation astrology, houses, aspects, and planetary dignity and debility.

Unread 09-27-2018, 04:49 PM

Re: Most elevated planet

My MC is at 7 Aquarius. The closest planet is the moon at 1 Pisces. My moon is the apex of a Yod and is the most aspected planet in my chart. I identify with Pisces moon more than Gemini sun, despite having sun in the 1st house, because of my extremely emotional nature. My reality is always colored, and sometimes warped, by the mood I'm in at any given time, and meditation and yoga have only been able to do so much to help me with this. My chart is ruled by Venus in Taurus, and Venus is loosely conjunct my ascendant. In my happiest moments, I think I seem and feel very Venusian and somewhat Taurean with blasts of Gemini sun brightness, but if I'm honest, it's the moon with the help of a very active Mars running the show most of the time.

It's hard to say if this supports the idea that the elevated planet is important since my moon is strong in so many respects, not just as being closest to MC.

The Following User Says Thank You to Witchyone For This Useful Post:
conspiracy theorist (09-30-2018)
Unread 09-28-2018, 02:39 PM

Oh wow saturn in 8th house taurus is the closest with jupiter in 8th coming 2nd and I'm studying psychology.
The Following User Says Thank You to teardust22 For This Useful Post:
Unread 09-28-2018, 05:17 PM

Chiron 20° ♍ -9H. MC is on 4°♎. If i go further outer than that it'd be Pluto 28°♏ - 11H. My Pluto will progress into the 10H before Chiron though. So that had be interesting to see how it unfolds. I studied Marine Sci in Uni. I think that has Pluto in Scorpio ring to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to yuriv For This Useful Post:
Unread 02-07-2019, 11:00 PM

In all these pages, I don't think I've seen a single reference to an elevated moon, which I appear to have. Would this indicate feelings running away with one? I thought my nasty hypersensitivity was the result of the Moon sq Asc (?), not something to be compounded.

I'm inclined to believe Neptune should have this position, as I'm creative to a fault.

I've looked at all the cool pictures that should explain this to me, but it's not happening. Could someone please tell me what my most elevated planet is, and WHY?

Thanks!

Last edited by jac; 02-09-2019 at 02:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jac For This Useful Post:
conspiracy theorist (02-10-2019)
Unread 02-08-2019, 12:08 AM

According to Jones, a planet is ELEVATED when

A planet stands alone in the 10th house AND the 1st house is unoccupied. This avoids having both a rising and an elevated planet.

Personally I take the planet nearest the MC in either 9 or 10, especially if it stands alone.

As far as significance, I say the planet "stands above all else". Jones says that the position shows that the native is inclined to stand for things his fellow man admires or is willing to support, and so success comes.

Last edited by greybeard; 02-08-2019 at 12:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Useful Post:
conspiracy theorist (02-10-2019)
Unread 02-11-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist View Post
I'm debating on whether to incorporate this more into the charts I read.

The most elevated planet is the planet that is closest to the MC degree and this apparently brings said planet to prominence in the life. It's an idea that is similar to the cutting planets/high focus in the Marc Edmund Jones and singletons by hemisphere.

What is your most elevated planet and does it play a strong role in your life? Your contribution will help to advance our collective knowledge.
Hmmm.. I think it would be right to say that any planet closest to any if the angles would do that.
In my case Mercury ia closest to my MC degreese. However Neptune and Uranus are conjuncting tightly my DSC, Neptune by 0 degrees and Uranus by 3. And I think especially Neptune does a perfect job in ruining my life, Uranus too.

Mercury in 1st H is same degrees as my MC but it's not that important to me.
So I would say it's not true.
Unread 02-11-2019, 12:39 PM

@UnluckyGirl

I'm getting a couple of meanings from your post so I'm not sure what you are actually communicating. The term elevated planet speaks to the planet in the highest position of the chart relative to the MC - Your MC could be at 29 Sagittarius and the closest planet to this degree happens to be Venus at 5 Capricorn. The most elevated planet wouldn't be the planet that necessarily mirrors the degree of the MC - If your MC is at 15 Scorpio, your Mars at 15 Taurus wouldn't be the most elevated planet. Maybe your Sun is located at 13 Scorpio and that would take the title.

There are quite a few different ways that planets gain prominence in the chart, not just by angularity. This thread tries to explore if the highest planet in the chart has such a relevance in chart reading. Do you have no planets above the horizon in your chart?
Unread 02-11-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
@UnluckyGirl

I'm getting a couple of meanings from your post so I'm not sure what you are actually communicating. The term elevated planet speaks to the planet in the highest position of the chart relative to the MC - Your MC could be at 29 Sagittarius and the closest planet to this degree happens to be Venus at 5 Capricorn. The most elevated planet wouldn't be the planet that necessarily mirrors the degree of the MC - If your MC is at 15 Scorpio, your Mars at 15 Taurus wouldn't be the most elevated planet. Maybe your Sun is located at 13 Scorpio and that would take the title.

There are quite a few different ways that planets gain prominence in the chart, not just by angularity. This thread tries to explore if the highest planet in the chart has such a relevance in chart reading. Do you have no planets above the horizon in your chart?
I have just 2.
So that means that the planet closest to MC (if any) is an elevated planet?
In that case it's my Moon in Pisces (5°)
MC is in Pisces 26°.

Could you check it too?
http://i63.tinypic.com/2u7vk2x.jpg
Unread 02-11-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnluckyGirl View Post
I have just 2.
So that means that the planet closest to MC (if any) is an elevated planet?
In that case it's my Moon in Pisces (5°)
MC is in Pisces 26°.

Could you check it too?
http://i63.tinypic.com/2u7vk2x.jpg
Yes, the Moon is definitely the most elevated planet, and as it rules both the Sun and ascendant in your chart, it makes even more important to the overall structure of your natal chart. The prominence of this Moon is undeniable, which is shown in more than one way.

What have you noticed about the Moon in your life?
Unread 02-11-2019, 05:57 PM

Elevated planet

Jeddu Krishnamurti

Aquarius rising and
Uranus Rx is elevated.

The main theme of his teachings is "Internal Revolution".
A secondary theme he calls "The mirror of relationships", which reflects his prominent Moon {mirrors} opposition Venus {relationships}.

But the elevated Uranus "stands above all else".

Notice how our inner self is projected into the outer world as our creations.

Last edited by greybeard; 02-11-2019 at 06:02 PM.
conspiracy theorist (02-11-2019)
Unread 02-11-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, the Moon is definitely the most elevated planet, and as it rules both the Sun and ascendant in your chart, it makes even more important to the overall structure of your natal chart. The prominence of this Moon is undeniable, which is shown in more than one way.

What have you noticed about the Moon in your life?
I have very good intuition in multiple ways, it feels like a supernatural power. I understand what kind of a person someone is just by looking at his/her eyes.
I feel like I'm absorbing the energy around me without wanting to, I have low energy myself and get easily exhausted.
I could say more things but they can apply because of other aspects/placements in my chart.. I have lots of Neptune going on other than my Piscean Moon.
The Following User Says Thank You to UnluckyGirl For This Useful Post:
Unread 02-11-2019, 11:35 PM

Mars is my most elevated planet. It conjuncts my Midheaven from the 9th house, by just one degree. Mars is in Cancer though, so not in a particularily strong position otherwise... and it is also very closely conjunct Mercury.

Considering just Mars as my most elevated planet makes little sense to me. I guess I have my daring moments, but overall Mars is not a planet that makes much of an impact on my personality. I have the temperament of a rock, the drive and passion of a sloth and the fighting spirit of a rabbit.

I guess my Mars is just so very influenced, and even dominated, by its proximity to Mercury (which rules my Gemini Sun and is in mutual reception with my Virgo Moon). I have a quick wit and a sharp tongue, strong opinions and the backbone to stand up for them. Communication is the main focus of my life. I only ever fight with my words, and usually more with conviction than any great passion. I boldly assert my opinion, but never aggressively. I work as a librarian, which I feel is my true calling in life.

Last edited by Domna; 02-11-2019 at 11:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Domna For This Useful Post:
Unread 02-11-2019, 11:43 PM

The conjunction melds both planetary energies together so that both manifest as a unit. In your case, the most elevated "planet" would actually be a Mercury/Mars conjunction - and everything you described about yourself sounds like a Mercury infused with the fighting spirit of Mars. Mars needn't only manifest in physical courage and daring.
Domna (02-11-2019)
Unread 02-11-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
The conjunction melds both planetary energies together so that both manifest as a unit. In your case, the most elevated "planet" would actually be a Mercury/Mars conjunction - and everything you described about yourself sounds like a Mercury infused with the fighting spirit of Mars. Mars needn't only manifest in physical courage and daring.
Yes, that's my take on it! Those two energies are just completely intertwined in my chart (with Mercury a bit more dominant), neither ever acts alone. So it makes sense that they act together as most elevated as well.

Interestigly enough, they are also the most elevated by declination... both are out of bounds.
Unread 02-12-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
I'm debating on whether to incorporate this more into the charts I read.

The most elevated planet is the planet that is closest to the MC degree and this apparently brings said planet to prominence in the life. It's an idea that is similar to the cutting planets/high focus in the Marc Edmund Jones and singletons by hemisphere.

What is your most elevated planet and does it play a strong role in your life? Your contribution will help to advance our collective knowledge.

Well, the most elevated planet in my chart is Mercury, it's applying to the MC with about one degree or slightly less. MC Pisces, the dreaded 'Pisces Mercury'. Mercury also makes an exact trine with my ASC in Cancer. I recently finished a high-salary job in a very specific area where my boss said that I 'have a talent for explaining things'.

• I wrote poetry as a kid and won prizes
  • Throughout school and college I was debate captain, champion and judge
  • People have said since I was a kid that I was an intellectual with advanced communication skills
  • Most of my paid, professional work has been in writing, editing, news-reporting
  • I have Mercury 1 degree S square with Uranus, I adore technology, I'm fascinated by the future and have written much about tech. in my work
  • I have Mercury in the 9th, I've lived in other countries, adore it, about to move again, I speak 2 other languages
  • Mercury is also associated with movement, and despite frequent horror claims about it's placement in Pisces, I've frequently been told that I'm a good dancer, including by djs
  • Pisces I think confers some innocence and hopeful/wishful approach, and with Mercury, I think people see this in me for both good and bad reasons (the common misconception that 'kind means unintelligent', I've IQ 136, yet people say I'm imaginative and creative and if they need something that requres that, they come to me
I've seen before claims that planets from 9-11th houses could be considered 'elevated' and not just the MC. But I'll leave that theory up to practicing astrologers. I have 10th house planets and an exalted 9th planet - they make themeselves known. But, the most-elevated planet, Mercury, certainly has left a mark, yes.

Last edited by Starfall; 02-12-2019 at 12:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Starfall For This Useful Post:
conspiracy theorist (02-12-2019)
Unread 02-12-2019, 01:05 AM

And what if
You have no elevated planet?
Unread 02-12-2019, 01:05 AM

A couple other examples from my family...

My mother has Saturn in Pisces in the 10th as the most elevated planet, conjunct Chiron. She is a struggling artist, who also struggles with bipolar disorder.

My brother has Moon in Libra in the 9th conjunct his Scorpio Midheaven. I don't feel like his Moon is as obviously influential as my Mercury/Mars or mum's Saturn... He is not at all an emotional person, or at least not emotive. Nor does he come across as very empathetic or an openly caring type of individual. However, he is very musically inclined. And I guess he has a diplomatic air about him, as well as a Libran skill for putting himself in other people's shoes and a 9th house talent for educating. Skills that he uses in his work selling assistive technologies for the visually impaired and teaching users about these technologies. He has the Uranus/Neptune/Saturn in Capricorn stellium of his generation in the 1st house, which I guess serves to explain his stoic techie personality. Saturn is also square to his Moon.
Unread 02-12-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
And what if
You have no elevated planet?
What's the cutoff for elevation in your own practice - do you always strictly stick to planets in the 9th and 10th alone as qualifying for most elevated planet?

What it would mean to have no elevated planet is something that would be interesting to parse out - as a "pattern" of planetary make-up - but I can't think of any deduction that would be satisfying in explaining it.

No regard for the outside world or social standing wouldn't necessarily apply.
Perhaps not being concerned about embodying a universal principle for the collective a la Jones' description could apply.
Following an internal vision of success could be the case - a focus on personal meaningfulness of experience could apply.

In the tradition dark charts are those with both luminaries below the horizon, although other planets could certainly be elevated. Maybe you are looking at a similarly "dark" theme with these kinds of charts - a sort of night time subjectivity to them.
It would be interesting to test that inductively to see what commonalities crop up.

Last edited by conspiracy theorist; 02-12-2019 at 01:40 AM.
Unread 02-12-2019, 01:49 AM

Generally I stick to 9th & 10th house planets.

Elevation is just one among many dignities and its absence is not particularly illuminating. Like its rising cousin, elevation is an Accidental dignity.
Unread 02-12-2019, 02:09 AM

Essential dignities describe innate, inborn traits. They are "of the essence" of the native and fundamentally immutable. They collectively describe your "endowment".
Everyone born on any given day largely shares these traits with everyone else born on that day.

These accidental dignities (rising, elevated, angular) depend on the diurnal motion of the Earth and are therefore highly individualized, not shared.

Accidental refers to that which is adventitious or of external origin. An event or set of circumstances is generally the trigger. With close orb, signalling early occurrence, these dignities are "dispositional" and strongly influence character development. With a wider orb and consequent later occurrence they act as precipitating or provocative agents.
jac (03-01-2019)
Unread 02-12-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
Well, the most elevated planet in my chart is Mercury, it's applying to the MC with about one degree or slightly less. MC Pisces, the dreaded 'Pisces Mercury'. Mercury also makes an exact trine with my ASC in Cancer. I recently finished a high-salary job in a very specific area where my boss said that I 'have a talent for explaining things'.

• I wrote poetry as a kid and won prizes
  • Throughout school and college I was debate captain, champion and judge
  • People have said since I was a kid that I was an intellectual with advanced communication skills
  • Most of my paid, professional work has been in writing, editing, news-reporting
  • I have Mercury 1 degree S square with Uranus, I adore technology, I'm fascinated by the future and have written much about tech. in my work
  • I have Mercury in the 9th, I've lived in other countries, adore it, about to move again, I speak 2 other languages
  • Mercury is also associated with movement, and despite frequent horror claims about it's placement in Pisces, I've frequently been told that I'm a good dancer, including by djs
  • Pisces I think confers some innocence and hopeful/wishful approach, and with Mercury, I think people see this in me for both good and bad reasons (the common misconception that 'kind means unintelligent', I've IQ 136, yet people say I'm imaginative and creative and if they need something that requres that, they come to me
I've seen before claims that planets from 9-11th houses could be considered 'elevated' and not just the MC. But I'll leave that theory up to practicing astrologers. I have 10th house planets and an exalted 9th planet - they make themeselves known. But, the most-elevated planet, Mercury, certainly has left a mark, yes.
Out of curiosity, at what degree is your Mercury located?
Unread 02-12-2019, 06:04 PM

Mercury at 27'51 of Pisces. Hope that helps.

Also the childhood accidents with water are there too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Starfall For This Useful Post:
Unread 02-15-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
In all these pages, I don't think I've seen a single reference to an elevated moon, which I appear to have. Would this indicate feelings running away with one? I thought my nasty hypersensitivity was the result of the Moon sq Asc (?), not something to be compounded.

I'm inclined to believe Neptune should have this position, as I'm creative to a fault.

I've looked at all the cool pictures that should explain this to me, but it's not happening. Could someone please tell me what my most elevated planet is, and WHY?

Thanks!
Well, I had comment then, the moon would refer to being emotional, a connection to the subconscious, one's past that is, also a life ruled - influenced by cycles, patterns. Further it infers that one is in tune with death, nocturnal, shadows and one tends to absorb and reflect ‘light’ from outside of themselves. Interesting you should reactive this thread. My chiron is on the same degree with my moon. Technically I have two elevated planets if I want to.

Tags
elevated, planet