Writing career?

princess valhalla

I have been going through an existential crisis of sorts lately, trying to figure out what to do with my life. I have wanted to become a writer for some time now. Recently I have been concentrating on honing my skills. My question is, can I make a living out of writing? That is if I could become a published writer and also if this is what I am meant to do. Is this my destiny? These are the things on my mind.

I'm attaching a chart that I created earlier this afternoon while meditating on it. Any help in reading the chart would be much appreciated. I am signified by venus and the moon? MC in Capricorn. IC falls in the 3rd house and MC in the 9th. Not sure if that has any significance.

Thanks.

Attachments

• writing career.jpg
    writing career.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 34

wca

your significator is Venus (not Moon). what do you make of her sign and house placement?

what notes do you have of Mercury's rulership of the 2nd house? does the chart show you a positive or negative impact to your income?

and what about the future career itself, as shown by the 10th. Saturn rules.. what do you make of his placement by house and sign? what is he in aspect to, and how does that impact your judgment?

additionally, are there benefics or malefics on angles or in angular houses? what is the Moon up to?

piece some of these thoughts together. there's an answer here.

Marinka

Hoping you had some time to meditate on the questions from WCA as they are good questions.

A quick interpretation using my method --

- Venus is you (ruler 1st) and you have an early ascendant which means the question is early. That will be appropriate here as you will see.

- I always check 7th house to see if Saturn is there because that is a warning to the person interpreting the chart. Saturn is there so, I have to be especially careful on my interpretation and you'll see why in a minute.

- The moon in my method of interpretation tells me the question and I expected to see it in the 3rd (writing) or the 2nd (making money) but, instead it is in the house of publishing (9th). This is where I have to be careful, your question being answered is about publishing and not whether you can write or whether you can make money .. again, this is from the method that I use (others may see it differently).

- The moon in the 9th (publishing) is moving to conjunct you (Venus) and that is a YES.

BUT, remember the early degree of the ascendant means the question is to early ... there is no book to publish. Also, there are many ways to publish a book, you could use a traditional publisher or to publish yourself. So that this question is a YES, does not mean much ....

On your next horary question, better questions (IMHO as others might disagree) might be:

- Will I be able to have my book ready for publication by Dec 2014?
- Will a traditional publisher put my book into print by Dec 2015?
- Will I make $50,000.00 by Dec 2014 on this book?

-Some other notes, both Venus and Moon are moving to square Uranus (11th house of institutions) which I would take to be the traditional publisher as there is nothing to publish so the question is for naught. The ruler of the 9th is Jupiter which is in the 3rd but, Moon and Venus are both moving to oppose it, again, nothing is written.

waybread

PV, just building upon what the others have said...

I've been reading all kinds of posts from horary astrologers who say the traditional "cautions and strictures" don't matter and others who say they simply get folded into the overall interpretation in some way.

Generally the moon is taken as a "you" planet in the horoscope, but more in the sense of your attitude about the matter. I note that she is in detriment in Capricorn, so she's lost some of her oomph.

Vocation-as-destiny is a 10th house matter, and yours is ruled by Saturn.

I am wondering, given Venus in the 9th house of higher education and your early degree rising, whether you really have enough writing experience now for an astrologer to determine whether you could make it as a fiction writer or not.

Mercury rules your third house of communication; and (depending upon what you want to write) Jupiter rules your 9th house (of works of literature of enduring value, as well as higher education.) The moon is nicely heading towards a conjunction with Venus and a sextile Mercury. Jupiter and Saturn have some reception going on, which is good.

The main issue I see with this chart is that Saturn in the 7th (and it is combust the sun, just a hair off cazimi,) with Mercury retrograde, is that either astrologers' judgment (a 7th house matter) is likely to be clouded, or else you won't like the answer.

I mean, do you really want to listen to some amateur astrologers vs. your own inner convictions and voice?

I'd go with the idea that you have talent, and that you would benefit from some college/university creative writing classes, and most importantly, critical feedback on your work. If you are not writing everyday, even in your journal (or a blog), I hope you will do so. Join a writer's group (there are some on line) if you've not done so already. Then after you have some of these experiences under your belt, the foggy horizon may look a lot clearer. Writing is a very competitive field, in which a lot of talented work goes unpublished; but if you write well, this will be an asset in your future career, regardless of whether it is writing or something else.

Re: wca's point about looking at your second house, many published authors still need a day job. Oftentimes this is teaching English.

Last edited:

princess valhalla

First, I want to thank all of you for taking the time to respond. I think ya'll have given me good readings and more importantly great advice.

I'll try to respond as best as I can to each post. I really don't know much about Horary astrology. I haven't read any books on the matter and the very little knowledge I have is from this forum. To answer wca, I'm not sure what to make of Venus in the 9th. I know that publishing falls under the ninth so that is good. Venus in Capricorn isn't afraid of hard work, is ambitious and will slowly but surely reach the top of the mountain.

Mercury ruling the second is good for making money through writing and all types of communication. However, I think that earning money can fluctuate with the second in Gemini. At this point, I don't think it could negatively impact my income as I am very poor and not working currently. :pinched: I am a stay at home mom and there is only one income coming into the home, my boyfriend/husband's.

Saturn ruling the 10th in the 7th . . . not sure. Basic translation is that I would earn my living through partnerships.

Actually, there are a few similarities with this horary chart and my natal chart. First, my ascendant is the same, Taurus. My second house is Gemini with POF residing there. Same as this chart. Also in my natal, I have Moon conjunct Venus in the 9th house. My natal Venus is @ 29 degrees Capricorn conjunct my Moon @ 2 degrees Aquarius. Moon also conjuncts my MC @ 6 degrees Aquarius. Both charts have ruler of the 1st in the 9th, chart ruler trine Ascendant. Both charts have ruler of 10th in the 7th, except in my natal, it is the modern ruler of Aquarius (Uranus) in the 7th. Saturn is in my fifth house, so traditional ruler of the 10th in the 5th. In this horary chart, the Sun is conjunct Saturn. In my natal chart I have Sun in the 8th square Saturn in the fifth, 3 degree orb. So in both charts, the Sun makes an aspect to Saturn.

Marinka, Bravo! :wink: Your assessment is spot-on! You mentioned that normally with a question like this, you would like to see the Moon in the 3rd (or 2nd.) In my natal chart, the 3rd house cusp is Cancer ruled by the Moon and my Moon is in the 9th. Ruler of the 3rd in the 9th.

You are absolutely correct that there isn't a novel to publish yet. I do have 2 full notebooks of thoughts, ideas, notes, etc. but that is all at the moment. There is a book in there somewhere but for now, it is just bare bones.

Your ideas for future horary questions are excellent! I will hold off on asking any further questions until I actually have my book in hand. However, I will keep those in mind when the times comes!

I feel like I should give some more background info at this point.

I have always been a voracious reader as long as I can remember. Before I could even read, my Mom always took me to the library. I would pick out my books and she would read them to me. I absolutely love libraries to this very day and still go to the library on a regular basis. I can literally spend hours in the library combing through books, running my fingers along the spines of books, aisle after aisle. I love the way books smell and turning each page gives me great pleasure. As Oscar Wilde said, "With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?” :biggrin: To me, reading is freedom.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”

I have always enjoyed writing as well. I love ideas, thoughts and storytelling. It is amazing to me that the English alphabet is comprised of only 26 letters and what can be conveyed using these 26 letters!

There was a turning point for me one month ago. I went to a book reading of one of my favorite authors. I also met two other authors that were touring with this person. All three of them are NYT bestsellers. They are also friends and are a part of a very famous writing group. They really advocate writing and the writing process. Meeting them, talking to them, really inspired me to follow my dreams of writing and becoming a published writer. When asked about writing, one of these writers commented that he didn't recommend it for anyone under the age of 30-31 because they simply do not have enough life experience to draw from. I would definitely agree with this statement. Before I wasn't ready but I know that I am now.

Besides this, I really want to leave a legacy behind. There must be a reason why I am on this Earth. I think writing will eventually be my legacy. I hope anyways. When you read books of these long gone authors, a part of them still lives. Their thoughts and ideas live on. I think that is really beautiful.

November is National Novel Writing Month or NaNoWriMo. The goal is to write a novel of 50,000 words in 30 days. The point is just to write! Not to worry about creating a masterpiece, editing or being a perfectionist. Just write! Get the creativity flowing. I am participating in it this month. It really is just a practice exercise in writing.

I am involved with some writers websites and forums, LitReactor and Writing.com I do want to find a local writing group. Getting reviews, advice and support from other aspiring writers is vital. This works well with my natal MC in Aquarius, being a part of a group with similar interests and goals.

Waybread thank you! Your advice is superb and is what I am currently in the process of doing. :) You are correct that I should follow my inner convictions. Thank you for reaffirming that for me.

Again thank you so much, each one of you. xoxo

Now in the words of Ernest Hemingway, "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit at a typewriter and bleed." Or in my case, a computer. :lol: Time to start bleeding my heart out. :)

Attachments

• old book smell.jpg
    old book smell.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 22