Why is the trine considered bad, in some cases?

AppLeo

I know that trines are often perceived as good.. but I feel like one of the trines in my chart is actually horrible. I've been neglecting the skill, or just being conscious about it, rather than fighting for it.

Some people say that if you have too many trines then your life is easy and you don't build any character.j

I kind of feel like that has happened to me, to some degree.

Lin

Well, trines do best when in company with squares and sextiles.

Some trines are better than others. For instance, I have found that trines in earth are more obvious and substantial than trines in fire, for instance. Trines often represent talent. But talent doesn't mean much unless it's used. And often one does not develop the talent one has, but would rather torture himself to get something "else."....something harder to achieve than the talent born with. Counter intuitive but true.
Anyway, all trines are not created equal. The house, sign and other aspects are important.
LIN

katydid

here is a real life example of a trine that might be considered 'bad.' In my opinion.

The natal chart of Aaron Hernandez, the ex-star NFL player, that was convicted of murder, and then killed himself in his prison cell last week---is a very difficult natal chart...

chart can be found in this thread:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=781506&posted=1#post781506
So we don't know a certain TOB, so I will ignore houses. Noon chart:

Aaron has a tight Sun/Pluto conjunction , Sun @ 14 Scorpio applying to Pluto @15 Scorpio. Mercury @ 11 Scorpio, Mars @ 1 Scorpio.

So he has a stellium : Mars/Mercury/Sun/Pluto in Scorpio

That stellium squares the Moon at 15 Aquarius, with Noon chart.

Four planets in Scorpio, including the co-rulers of Scorpio, and the Sun and Mercury , all squaring an Aquarius Moon can be very emotionally volatile, defiant and strong willed.

NOW add a TRINE to that Scorpio powerhouse stellium, from Jupiter in Cancer. :devil:

Personally, I see that trine as a negative one overall. I say that because I think it expands and escalates his already out of control ego, and places no boundaries upon what he wants and desires and EXPECTS from others. I think it makes him way too emotional for his own good. Nothing is ever enough when Jupiter in Cancer trines 4 powerhouse planets in Scorpio.

Last edited:

Frisiangal

Why is the trine considered bad, in some cases?

Trines are said to be an inherent part of character; the been there, done it, etc. through a specific temperament.
They are easy for the individual to relate to, in which case any harsh aspects to them from other elements can seem to interfere with their natural attitude.This can make the trine act in a defensive manner. It's used to acting in a particular fashion and doesn't feel at ease if its character has to look at situations and be experienced in another way. It can lay back and become lazy, rather than confront the issue facing it.
Yet when its 'natural talent' can take on any challenges faced through other aspects, a working compromise can be found that benefits all and may strengthen the trine even more.

I have a grand trine in Earth, with a square from Fire from Leo! A block of dynamite was necessary to move the Earth from under me and take some risks.:biggrin: People say I'm very active, yet I seem to do the same things all the time.:whistling:

brion

A Moon/Pluto square, psychologically speaking, removes conscious awareness of emotion. In other words, a person dissociates what they do from their feelings. Hitler had the Moon Inconjunct Pluto, and was divorced from his emotions as well.
With the moon in an air sign, a person can rationalize his feelings: they "live in the head" and combined with dissociative traits, allow for violent acts, which the person rationalizes away as did Hitler (The Jews were "bad people").
Added to the vengefulness of conjunctions to Pluto, the capacity for violence was inherent in Mr. Hernandez.
What should have at least "spoken to him" - His Jupiter (in Cancer, exalted) trine Pluto (in Scorpio) seems not to have swayed him. I myself have a Jupiter Pluto trine in Aries/Leo, fatally - an idealistic trine (fire signs). It is the strength in my soul. For those who have it, it translates as "Fairness is my God." But not in his, although he could have had jupiter squaring something. Also, a Saturn/Jupiter opposition weakens the Jupiter/Pluto trine, with Saturn/Jupiter being an aspect of an agnostic/atheist, and again, lessening the "fairness" of the Jupiter/Pluto trine, especially with Saturn being in Capricorn.
In psychological terms, he could be a sociopath or a psychopath, and those personality disorders (undiagnosable before the age of 15) are not well treated by therapists, since the person lacks a sense of remorse. Other traits in the chart reinforce this (Sun conjunct Pluto, and other Pluto conjunctions). Pluto does rule Death after all, and revenge is part of the Scorpio Motif.
Not unusual he would turn to football, a violent sport. Psychologically speaking.

Lin

Regardless of the responses after the OPs question to me,
" What do you mean torture himself to get something else?"

If a person is brought up to work hard on his weaknesses it does make him strong in the area of weakness.
BUT if the "negative law" which comes from this is "easy to get (have) things are not worth as much as hard to get things" then a person could ignore the talents he is born with because he was taught those things are not really valuable. He can subliminally "look for" the hardest things to get....and that may be a job, a skill, a romance - anything....because it's HARD and not because it's BEST or authentic for him.

That's what I meant.

LIN

AJ Astrology

NOW add a TRINE to that Scorpio powerhouse stellium, from Jupiter in Cancer.

Hi katydid,

What trine?

Jupiter has long since separated and apparently everyone ignored that little "r" next to Jupiter, which means Jupiter is retrograde and moving away and so cannot possibly trine anything.

In any event, there's no birth-time and it never fails to amaze me how people uselessly fuss over a chart that cannot be read because it doesn't have a birth-time.

Bunraku

I found this in the literature I thought you might find interesting

Signs of Long Ascension. These are (for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere): Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra,Scorpio, and Sagittarius. When planets apply to a sextile from within signs of long ascension, the sextile acts as a square, and when they apply to a square, the square acts as a trine.

Signs of Short Ascension. Again, in the Northern Hemisphere: Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces, Aries, Taurus, and Gemini. In these signs, squares act as sextiles, and trines as squares.

katydid

Hi katydid,

What trine?

Jupiter has long since separated and apparently everyone ignored that little "r" next to Jupiter, which means Jupiter is retrograde and moving away and so cannot possibly trine anything.

In any event, there's no birth-time and it never fails to amaze me how people uselessly fuss over a chart that cannot be read because it doesn't have a birth-time.

Sorry, but I disagree.

The Jupiter is one degree orb from the Mercury /Jupiter Trine.
And 4 degree orb for the Sun/Pluto Trine to Jupiter.

So I can't see how it is not considered an active trine. The retrograde does not nullify anything.

As for the birthtime, that does not change much with Jupiter aspects.

AppLeo

I found this in the literature I thought you might find interesting

Signs of Long Ascension. These are (for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere): Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra,Scorpio, and Sagittarius. When planets apply to a sextile from within signs of long ascension, the sextile acts as a square, and when they apply to a square, the square acts as a trine.

Signs of Short Ascension. Again, in the Northern Hemisphere: Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces, Aries, Taurus, and Gemini. In these signs, squares act as sextiles, and trines as squares.

Where are you getting this information?