Should I go back to school this September?

wan

Hello. I know how to read a horary chart that has to do with romance/relationship, however I don't know how to read one that has to do with education, career..etc.

Anyway, I have been debating with myself over whether to go back to school to take undergraduate philosophy. I have posted the chart below. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Thanks.

Attachments

• should.gif
    should.gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 29

Osamenor

Staff member
Higher education is ninth house. Use that for the significator of your quesited, just as you'd use H7 in a horary about a romantic interest.

You've made a couple of other posts that made it sound like you'd already decided to go back to school. Is it not a done deal? What stops you from saying yes, definitely, at this time? Are there any financial or practical hurdles? Or is it just a "do I really want to do this" question?

wan

Well, registration doesn't open till mid-June, so I am not committed to anything yet.

The main reason I am going back to school is mostly to find men. A small part of it is that I really enjoy philosophy, but I have to be honest with myself that I am doing this to meet men.

Aside from the fact that most of my classmates will be too young for me, there is also the issue that I cannot sit still for long periods of time. I really hated going to classes years ago. I hated that I would have to listen to the professor talk and talk for close to one hour and I had to go to a lecture like this for months. This plus the fact there is no guarantee I will find a guy really makes me hesitate. So yes, I would say it's a real "do I really want to do this?" type of question. The course would likely cost 500 dollars, which is not a small sum of money for someone like me, but it would not be a hurdle per se.

Thank you for your response Osa and I hope I have answered your questions.

Last edited:

wan

Ask me more questions if you need to Osa. I find that when people ask me questions it really helps me solidify my thoughts. Plus you always have good insight, which I appreciate.

Osamenor

Staff member
The seventh and ninth houses of your horary chart have the same significator, and it's in domicile. I'm not sure whether that suggests you really will meet a partner this way, or just reflects your motive. Notably, there's no aspect between Saturn and Moon, which represents you. However, Moon is going to form an opposition to Saturn in the sign it just entered.

I find it interesting that the ninth house contains a domiciled Jupiter: the planet of philosophy. I think your interest in philosophy isn't nearly as small a reason as you think.

But if you find the lecture method of learning not to work for you, it doesn't make sense to sign up for a lecture course. If the way it's taught is incompatible with your learning style, the class will just be a frustration and waste of time.

If your learning style is as you describe, it would make more sense to take a class that's built around hands on activity or interactive discussion than a lecture based class. That kind of model would also give you direct interaction with classmates, much better for meeting people, male or otherwise. In a lecture based class, you might not interact with your classmates at all.

Last edited:

wan

Osa:

Yes, there is indeed spark in me for philosophy. I have always found this subject to be very interesting, so meeting men is not the only reason for why I want to go back to school.

And you are right, sitting in a room listening to the lecture does not give me a chance to interact with my classmates. However, I don't think that there are hands on activity or discussion-based types of learning for university level philosophy.

Are there any other ways? I mainly want to meet smart, single men who are around my age.

Here we actually used to have these discussion groups called Philosophy's cafe. Basically, a bunch of people meet up at a pre-determined place, and we just talk about whatever. Anybody can join. However, the group is temporarily closed down due to covid. It's not an ideal way to meet men either, cause the groups are usually held during the week, and men are either in school or working, and the people I did meet tended to be retired people.

Osamenor

Staff member
What kinds of activities do you think smart, single men who are around your age would be interested in? That you are also interested in, that is.

If you can think of something, why not start a meetup group for it, evenings or weekends? You might have to wait for Covid restrictions to lift before you can launch it, but in the meantime, you could be preparing.

As for hands on or interactive discussion classes, you'd have to look to an alternative kind of school for them, or a non-school option. Kind of like what you had in your Philosophy Cafe.

One of the first things I noticed when I looked at your horary chart is that Jupiter rules the MC. That made me wonder if you expected this philosophy class to lead to a new career, or if there was any chance it accidentally would--Pisces MC being the sort that tends to build a career by happenstance, being flexible and making many changes. MC is also how you're publicly known. Becoming the leader of a group based on an interest of yours is perhaps another way it could manifest.

wan

Interesting about the MC part, osa. And as a matter of fact, I did fantasize about becoming involved in the academia following my study in philosophy. But like I said, it's only a fantasy. I don't imagine I will be completing a degree in it. The most I will do is take a few courses that seem interesting to me.

The vast majority of my interests are overwhelmingly solitary: reading, writing, debating/arguing, and learning.

I will definitely consider starting a meet-up group of some sort. I browsed the meetup.com site and saw a few that looked interesting. I don't remember seeing one that's related to philosophy. I could probably start one. But it will have to wait till covid passes.

I actually don't have too many ideas about what interests smart men who are my age would be interested in, that I would also be interested in. Seems most of them are either married or in a long-term relationship. And it's like I said, one big thing facing me is that my interests are all solitary by nature. So this makes it quite hard for me. Plus I am an introvert and a hardcore loner and this just makes matters worse.

Osamenor

Staff member
Then start with what you're interested in, schedule it at a time that would work for most people with jobs, and see who shows up.

You're not looking for most men. You're looking for one, who's compatible with you. Or a few who could be compatible with you. To be compatible with you, they'd have to be available and they'd have to have some common ground with you. A shared interest is the usual kind of common ground to start from.

But don't make it all about meeting men. The only activity that you ever should make all about meeting men is joining a dating site. If you do that, sure, you're there to meet men and probably nothing else. If you take a class or start a group or anything like that, it has a purpose that isn't meeting men.