List of Erroneous, Illogical and Fictitious Systems in Astrology

Oddity

Oh, hell, I disagree with lots of people about lots of things. But when, say, I'm arguing why the outer planets, asteroids, etc. don't count, I state my argument against the idea that they do, I don't call people idiots for disagreeing with me.

Strangely enough, it actually works sometimes. Calling people idiots - not gonna work. Ever. At least not if you're hoping to engage in a discussion about ideas.

Have you ever found an astrologer who agrees with another?

JUPITERASC

That's fine. Just don't expect anyone to change their mind because of what you say.
You've got a weak case when you need to insult people

(under the guise of 'criticism') to make your point.
Whether a comment "is under the guise of criticism" or not
is obviously a matter of personal oppinion
since the intent of the commenter
may have been misunderstood :smile:

of course we could outlaw any form of criticism whatsoever
but that seems unnecessarily extreme

petosiris

Banned
Oh, hell, I disagree with lots of people about lots of things. But when, say, I'm arguing why the outer planets, asteroids, etc. don't count, I state my argument against the idea that they do, I don't call people idiots for disagreeing with me.

Strangely enough, it actually works sometimes. Calling people idiots - not gonna work. Ever. At least not if you're hoping to engage in a discussion about ideas.

I have not used the word idiot, though I quoted Morinus and his contemporary astrologers using the words ''ridiculous'' or ''Arabic sorcery'' and Ptolemy using the words ''waste of labour'' which you might see similar. If they are using it, I guess it's common and traditional. Sometimes offending feelings is inevitable, I was offended by their remarks few months ago too. But now I understand that they were not with bad intentions at all, and I am thankful. I guess it does work in changing minds sometimes. I am 6.9 atheist, but I don't see how that can detract from my arguments.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Strangely enough, it actually works sometimes. Calling people idiots - not gonna work.
Ever.
At least not if you're hoping to engage in a discussion about ideas.
I'm fine with being called an idiot
in fact I tend to agree with anyone who calls me an idiot
but then
we all have different perspectives :smile:
It's not unusual to hear others referring to all and sundry as "idiots"
it's common in fact

petosiris

Banned
I am grateful for Ptolemy calling my months of labour on lots ''waste of time'', and I am grateful for Morinus telling I was using ''fictitious'' systems. I actually was an idiot, but now my vision is clear.

JUPITERASC

It's a hot topic in the hot topic arena.

f71.gif

Oddity

Hey, in case I didn't make it clear I think your ideas for an atheistic astrology are top-notch. It's your presentation that wants a bit of work.

Don't listen to Morin when it comes to social graces. Please. And no, his twelfth house is not an excuse!

I have not used the word idiot, though I quoted Morinus and his contemporary astrologers using the words ''ridiculous'' or ''Arabic sorcery'' and Ptolemy using the words ''waste of labour'' which you might see similar. If they are using it, I guess it's common and traditional. Sometimes offending feelings is inevitable, I was offended by their remarks few months ago too. But now I understand that they were not with bad intentions at all, and I am thankful. I guess it does work in changing minds sometimes. I am 6.9 atheist, but I don't see how that can detract from my arguments.

SunConjunctUranus

I am grateful for Ptolemy calling my months of labour on lots ''waste of time'', and I am grateful for Morinus telling I was using ''fictitious'' systems. I actually was an idiot, but now my vision is clear.

I'm glad that Master petosiris still log in to this site and teaching an idot like me :smile:

Edit: BTW, all of this are gratitously FREE.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Hey, in case I didn't make it clear I think your ideas for an atheistic astrology are top-notch.

It's your presentation that wants a bit of work.
You got a B plus - more work needed :smile:

Don't listen to Morin when it comes to social graces. Please.

And no, his twelfth house is not an excuse!
Interestingly I picked up one of Morinus books today

but I did not have time to read it

giphy.gif

petosiris

Banned
There are some things I enjoy in him, particularly his style, but I think many of his theories, particularly dignity, are based on misunderstanding of Ptolemy, also mainly that he criticizes the usage of ''universal significators'' by Ptolemy, and instead he brings mostly traditional significations of houses.

unique_astrology

Everything in astrology is just someone's opinion, nothing more. Certainly not based on a study of millions of charts by any individual and verified by an absolutely flawless record of prognostication.

And any opinions from practitioners of old, when life expectancy was far shorter than today, travel in a lifetime was far more limited, means of exchanging of ideas and study was far more limited because of that limited travel (including for correspondences), have no logical reason to be taken as absolute gospel. Not by any of them.

petosiris

Banned
Oddity, I think Petosiris just wants to be provocative.

Must be a tough Uranus transit for him, or something.

Easy for you to say, you are Jewish astrologer too! It can't be easy being both an atheist and an astrologer.

But I wonder, waybread, do you even believe there is even one astrological technique that is real/physical/scientific?

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Everything in astrology is just someone's opinion, nothing more.
Certainly not based on a study of millions of charts by any individual

and verified by an absolutely flawless record of prognostication.
And any opinions from practitioners of old, when life expectancy was far shorter than today,
travel in a lifetime was far more limited, means of exchanging of ideas and study
was far more limited because of that limited travel
(including for correspondences), have no logical reason
to be taken as absolute gospel.
Not by any of them.
And that mon ami is yet another opinion with which astrology abounds

because

as you yourself just mentioned :smile:
and I quote
Everything in astrology is just someone's opinion, nothing more.

JUPITERASC

It can't be easy being both an atheist and an astrologer, but
I think you've made a good outline for yourself, and others who are.
Oddity highlighting individual belief systems

Hey, in case I didn't make it clear
I think

your ideas for an atheistic astrology are top-notch.

It's your presentation that wants a bit of work.
resounding praise indeed
Oddity, I think Petosiris just wants to be provocative.
Must be a tough Uranus transit for him, or something.
WB you misunderstood
if you read the whole thread
notice that
Oddity and petosiris merely exchanging banter :smile:
perhaps your own outers need checking vis a vis transits
And I also want to thank you for your Jewish remarks, they are as expected!
quite - those with different beliefs

are obviously not usually in agreement
Easy for you to say, you are Jewish astrologer too!
It can't be easy being both an atheist and an astrologer.
But I wonder, waybread, do you even believe there is even one astrological technique
that is real/physical/scientific?
an excellent question