DECANATES aka DECANS From a Traditional Perspective

JUPITERASC

DECANS - or decanates:
Egyptian term for the faces, means 'tenths'
because each decan covers 10° :smile:

FACES - Also known as DECANS
are divisions of the signs into 10° sections
each of which is governed by one of the planets.
These appear to be based upon the Egyptian division of the year
into 36 ten-day periods, each presided over by a particular stellar deity.
The 4th century astrologer Firmicus Maternus
is among many who placed great emphasis on their use
saying that a planet in its own decan
is as good as in its own sign.
Like Manilius before him, he attributed decan rulership
to the signs of the zodiac
but most authors gave them to the planets in descending order towards the earth
i.e., Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Sun, Venus, Mercury, Moon
Their order reflects planetary rulership over the days of the week.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=kEgnLpm06zQC&pg=PA5&lpg=PA5&dq=Decans+Edfu+Temple&source=bl&ots=Rf5lfWKNNB&sig=Fr_EoIMt1001j_Z5uKGt-F28lpM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=oL5DU4f2DY2QhQea04DYAQ#v=onepage&q=Decans%20Edfu%20Temple&f=false

'Personalities' of Zodiac signs
were not used by Babylonians or Egyptians
or medieval astrologers either
and
'Proud Leos'
'Meticulous Virgos'
are the inventions of people who lived within the last 100 years

'Astrological innovator'
or vandal, depending on opinion
was William Allen, born London 1860
who later took the name 'Alan Leo'
because he felt that all the best astrologers had pen-names.
'Leo' matched his Sun sign
and
Alan Leo invented the doctrine of 'Sun signs astrology'
more or less single-handedly

JUPITERASC

DECANATES ILLUSTRATED ON A CHART WHEEL
:smile:

decans-chaldean-02.jpg

petosiris

Banned
Almost everyone that uses decans, uses them wrong, or atleast the decans they use have nothing to do with Hellenistic and Egyptian decans. Think about a few facts for a moment:

The first decan of Cancer is Sothis/Sopdet/Sirius according to Hephaistio and many extant Egyptian sources. Now the sidereal ecliptic degree of Sirius is 19° Gemini, the tropical was near it at that time. However Sirius rises along the 7th degree of sidereal Cancer in Alexandria around 200 BC.

200 years later Teucer of Babylon somehow acquired this knowledge and got famous with his books on the subject. Firmicus Maternus has a list of full and empty degrees that shows 7°-12° Cancer full Sothis, obviously saying those degrees are good, because Sirius rises with them. All degrees in Firmicus are taken from some foreign source who used paranatellonta degrees.

Valens used Teucer as a source, but he does not mention any technique with them, only briefly mentions which constellations rise and vaguely mentions their mundane connection. I would not be surprised if he did not have full information on the vague subject or just kept it in secret as Firmicus alludes to:
''That most true and immutable theory the ancients left wrapped in obscurity so that it should not come to the notice of everyone. The great Petosiris touched on it only lightly; not that he was not familiar with it (for he had arrived at all hidden secrets), but he did not want to divulge it lest his work should lose its divine character.'' – Maternus, Bram translation.

Maternus has high praises for the decans as you said - ''Nechepso, the most just emperor of Egypt and a truly good astrologer, by means of the decans predicted all illnesses and afflictions; he knew which decan produced which illness and which decans were stronger than others. From their different nature and power he discovered the cure for all illnesses, because one nature is often overcome by another, and one god by another.''

Well, with these facts in mind, you might think decans are sidereal, well I found out they are neither sidereal nor tropical. They are paranatellonta, they do not use ecliptic sidereal degrees, nor tropical. Obviously such astrology is not seen today, only mocked by Ptolemy's followers - ''We therefore confirm for decans their lesser dignity role, as it wants the wording of Ptolemy, who not for coincidence in Tetrabiblos does not make any mention of them.'' - http://www.apotelesma.it/wp-content..._in_ancient_Greek_astrological_literature.pdf

Some scholars have posited that the Greeks misunderstood the Egyptian calculations by parallels with ecliptic degrees, I tend to agree to some extent (some people like Teucer and Firmicus got them right apparently, Anonymous of 379, Ptolemy and Paulus followed a different approach ''?the wrong one?''). All sources suggest the use of paranatellonta in Egyptian decans and nothing else.

Note that using the decans in their original form will provide different results in different places (parallels), because different stars rise at different parallels over different time (precession). A nonagesimal whole/equal decan system that includes the whole sky, not only the ecliptic and some range from it. The so called Sphaera Barbarica of the Chaldeans. So imo forget about assigning a ''decan'' to a planet everywhere.

The quote my Firmicus gives me hope that Nechepso and Petosiris were actually Egyptian, and not Greek only.

The under the beams range in Hellenistic astrology is 15, this is about the amount it takes for the heliacal rising of a fixed star (the planets are visible from a much tighter range), and we know the importance of the heliacal rising of Sirius in the Egyptian calendar.

Bjorkstrand

no way, {deleted attacking comment~moderator}
signs exist
aspects exist

u can not have a leo energy in the middle of aries
if u study music, 12 keys= 12 signs
ergo u can't have the leo key in the aries key

{deleted attacking comment~moderator}
decans don't exist
{deleted attacking comment~moderator}

Last edited by a moderator:
no way, welcome to astrology
signs exist
aspects exist

u can not have a leo energy in the middle of aries
if u study music, 12 keys= 12 signs
ergo u can't have the leo key in the aries key

wake-up
decans don't exist
by the way that's the english language

Signs and aspects do not objectively exist. Signs are just a division of space into 12 equal parts. Sure, there is logic and reasoning behind this, but it doesn't make it "real". You can't touch it, you can't see it, you can't sense it. Aspects don't "exist" either. I don't see laser beams which planets emit when I look at the sky. It's all a convention, not an objective fact, just like decans. If you see no point in using decans and you don't think they bring anything valuable to the chart description, you're free to think this way and not use them. However, your phrasing "decans don't exist" is very strange considering that we're talking about astrology.

And by the way, if you refer to JUPITERASC's second post, you'll see that he wasn't even talking about the decans where Leo is in the middle of Aries. The chart he posted shows that planets rule decans, not signs. That's a different version of decans.

JUPITERASC

Signs and aspects do not objectively exist. Signs are just a division of space into 12 equal parts. Sure, there is logic and reasoning behind this, but it doesn't make it "real". You can't touch it, you can't see it, you can't sense it. Aspects don't "exist" either. I don't see laser beams which planets emit when I look at the sky. It's all a convention, not an objective fact, just like decans. If you see no point in using decans and you don't think they bring anything valuable to the chart description, you're free to think this way and not use them. However, your phrasing "decans don't exist" is very strange considering that we're talking about astrology.

And by the way, if you refer to JUPITERASC's second post, you'll see
that he wasn't even talking about the decans where Leo is in the middle of Aries.
The chart he posted shows that planets rule decans, not signs.
That's a different version of decans.
Quite :smile:
Notice that the 1st DECANATE of ARIES is ruled by the planet MARS
and the 2nd DECANATE of ARIES is ruled by the SUN
and the 3rd DECANATE of ARIES is ruled by the planet VENUS

DECANATES ILLUSTRATED ON A CHART WHEEL :smile:

decans-chaldean-02.jpg

Senecar

And by the way, if you refer to JUPITERASC's second post, you'll see that he wasn't even talking about the decans where Leo is in the middle of Aries. The chart he posted shows that planets rule decans, not signs. That's a different version of decans.

Isn't it the case modern astrologers take them as psychological mappings between mind and the stars, however the ancient and traditional astrologers believed / presume they do exist?

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Are you using the traditional decans with paranatellonta?

I have tried out using paranatellonta with the ASC and DSC, but I have not stuck with it for a couple of reasons. First of all, it is much easier and faster to delineate a chart using the basic Hellenistic techniques (whole sign houses and configurations) than going through the trouble of using stellarium.

Secondly, the ecliptic (which I use from time to time) and azimuthal projections (keep in mind they have to be made when rising, that is why they are often confused with heliacal risings) are completely contradictory.

https://imgur.com/rMqn7H6

For a few days I experienced a cognitive dissonance trying to use both methods, but they are incompatible. Neugebauer was right that it is a characteristic of the Greek to simultaneously hold two contradictory systems (System A and System B, tropical, sidereal and decans at the same time etc.).

Furthermore, I do not look at the bounds as often as I used to, because I DO NOT KNOW whether they are based on sidereal ecliptic coordinates (http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9812 - it is possible I was wrong here and they were based on paranatellonta like the decans instead, by the way thanks for deleting my thread here, fantastic discussion). If I do not know what are they based on, how do I rationalize using them?

What most concerned me was if the decans and the bounds are based on paranatellonta, what if the planets and the zoidia should also be measured from the horizon and not from the ecliptic. For a few days I began to think that every chart should be observed naturally at the place to see the colours of the stars and the weather, of course this is not entirely possible today due to light pollution, also I began to change the zodiacal coordinates using azimuth, reading on Egyptian gods and tying them up with zodiac, at which point I was thinking: ''what the .... am I doing'', so I stopped for now, because I am busy with other things.

If the ancient astrologers were looking at these things (we are not entirely what their exact method was, these are my guesses), they were into some deep stuff. Basic astrology works decently, but maybe decans give better results (Firmicus?), which until I test more in charts, would be always obsessed with.

Isn't it the case modern astrologers take them as psychological mappings between mind and the stars, however the ancient and traditional astrologers believed / presume they do exist?

Astrolatry. They believed the stars to be gods, or atleast tied to them somehow. And religion was very real.

I've never understood the ''psychological'' argument with modern occultism. How does ''mapping'' mean it is non-existant or non-causal (synchronistic)?

In my opinion, it depends on whether you make a distinction between mental and physical phenomena. Of course dualistic thinking with intentionality would say those are non-existant, but a monist or physicalist view of consciousness would not make a difference between the two. Also saying astrology works by synchronicity is saying nothing in my opinion (no cause given).

Because current science is strongly physicalist, maybe we should accept confirmation bias and cold reading as the current available explanation for astrology. After all, scientists have proven that people believe even bad astrology (those Barnum tests are so poor), not that astrology does not work. Then it would be a question of how to improve our cold reading beyond psychics. Wasn't Crowley thinking the same at some point in his career?

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Obviously this does not solve the ''twins question'', but if we follow Firmicus Maternus paranatellonta, George W. Bush will have his Ascendant/rising decan in a ''full degree - Sothis'' due to the presence of Sirius rising at this parallel at the time - https://imgur.com/a/xhQye while someone with a similar chart, born during the same day is likely to not have this. This brings further differentiation between the 360000 people born each day. What I was pointing out is that we should not pick what Hephaistio or Teucer said about ''decan x'' during the 1st century for the Mediterranean region and apply it to all charts. Also equating a ''decan'' with a planet seems unreasonable to me, for the reasons I have pointed out.

Donald Trump has not only Regulus (obviously almost everywhere due to being close to the ecliptic), but also Vega co-rising, speaks ''full degree'' to me. If I would have equate with a planet, I would also take into account the colour of the star at the time. Those examples are aimed at showcasing the theory, not proving anything with two presidents. Check Hephaistio's Book I of Apotelesmatics for further intake on the colours of the stars and the decans.

Obviously such approach opens a can of worms. Why can't there be one astrology for everyone everywhere? Does Canopus or Alpha Centauri have anything to say about Rome? Can someone use the ecliptic degrees of the stars at the same time? Does that mean that the whole zodiac and bounds should be changed for every parallel?

Drop the decans and say they do not exist.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I have tried out using paranatellonta with the ASC and DSC, but I have not stuck with it for a couple of reasons. First of all, it is much easier and faster to delineate a chart using the basic Hellenistic techniques (whole sign houses and configurations) than going through the trouble of using stellarium.

Secondly, the ecliptic (which I use from time to time) and azimuthal projections (keep in mind they have to be made when rising, that is why they are often confused with heliacal risings) are completely contradictory.

https://imgur.com/rMqn7H6

For a few days I experienced a cognitive dissonance trying to use both methods, but they are incompatible. Neugebauer was right that it is a characteristic of the Greek to simultaneously hold two contradictory systems (System A and System B, tropical, sidereal and decans at the same time etc.).

Furthermore, I do not look at the bounds as often as I used to, because I DO NOT KNOW whether they are based on sidereal ecliptic coordinates (http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9812 - it is possible I was wrong here and they were based on paranatellonta like the decans instead, by the way thanks for deleting my thread here, fantastic discussion). If I do not know what are they based on, how do I rationalize using them?

What most concerned me was if the decans and the bounds are based on paranatellonta, what if the planets and the zoidia should also be measured from the horizon and not from the ecliptic. For a few days I began to think that every chart should be observed naturally at the place to see the colours of the stars and the weather, of course this is not entirely possible today due to light pollution, also I began to change the zodiacal coordinates using azimuth, reading on Egyptian gods and tying them up with zodiac, at which point I was thinking: ''what the .... am I doing'', so I stopped for now, because I am busy with other things.

If the ancient astrologers were looking at these things (we are not entirely what their exact method was, these are my guesses), they were into some deep stuff. Basic astrology works decently, but maybe decans give better results (Firmicus?), which until I test more in charts, would be always obsessed with.

Astrolatry. They believed the stars to be gods, or atleast tied to them somehow. And religion was very real.

I've never understood the ''psychological'' argument with modern occultism. How does ''mapping'' mean it is non-existant or non-causal (synchronistic)?

In my opinion, it depends on whether you make a distinction between mental and physical phenomena. Of course dualistic thinking with intentionality would say those are non-existant, but a monist or physicalist view of consciousness would not make a difference between the two. Also saying astrology works by synchronicity is saying nothing in my opinion (no cause given).

Because current science is strongly physicalist, maybe we should accept confirmation bias and cold reading as the current available explanation for astrology. After all, scientists have proven that people believe even bad astrology (those Barnum tests are so poor), not that astrology does not work. Then it would be a question of how to improve our cold reading beyond psychics. Wasn't Crowley thinking the same at some point in his career?
I requested via a thread on the help with forums board
that we have a Western Sidereal Board
I posted a link to your thread
but unfortunately as a consequence
your thread was then deleted because a moderator thought
it breached forum rules on copyright
but
Valens is out of copyright
here's the relevant comment from the moderator on the issue
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=851826&postcount=43
and here's your original post that you made
fortunately I kept a copy of it for further personal study

10-08-2017, 09:03 PM
petosiris
Sidereal Origins of the Egyptian Bounds
I. Aries

The first 6° of Aries belong to Jupiter: temperate, robust, prolific, beneficent. Influenced by the stars of Pisces in Aries, which are of the nature of Saturn and Jupiter.
Alpherg (Saturn and Jupiter)
Mirach (Venus) is between the end of this and the beginning of next bound.

The next 6° belong to Venus: cheerful, clever, radiant, even, pure, handsome. Influenced by the beautiful and vain Cassiopeia and her daughter Andromeda. Cassiopeia indicates enhancement of beauty and adorning of the body.
Caph and Schedar (Saturn and Venus)
Metallah (Mercury) is between the end of this and the beginning of the next bound.

The following 8° fall under the ambiguous influence of Mercury: changeable, clever, idle, windy, stormy, full of thunder and lightning. Influenced by the stars of the Triangle (Mercury). The stars in the head of Aries, which are of the nature of Mars and Saturn, are known to indicate passions. Exaltation of the Sun.
Almach (Venus) is between the end of this and the beginning of the next bound.

The next 5° belong to Mars: baneful, fiery, unsteady, characteristic of rash, wicked men. Influenced by the stars in the hind foot of Aries, which are of the nature of Mars. Absence of notable stars of different planetary nature make the natural significations of the zoidion even stronger in that particular bound. Depression of Saturn.
Botein (Mars) is between the end of this and the beginning of the next bound.

The next 5° belong to Saturn: cold, barren, malicious, injured. Saturn does bad in Aries.
Notice that the last bound of every zoidion is always of Mars or Saturn.
Segin (Saturn and Venus) is between the end of this and the beginning of the next bound.

II. Taurus

The first 8° of Taurus belong to Venus: prolific, with many children, moist, downward-trending, convicted, hating their children. Influenced by the stars at the beginning of the sign which are as Venus and Saturn, and by the Pleiades, which are as the Moon and Jupiter. Exaltation of the Moon.
From its first degree to 6° (the section of the Pleiades) it is worthless, even destructive, disease-producing, thundering, causing earthquakes and lightning flashes. The next two degrees are fiery and smokey. The right part (toward Auriga) is temperate and cool. The left parts are worthless and changeable, sometimes chilling, at other times heating. The head (to 23°) is in a temperate atmosphere, but it causes disease and death for living things. The rest is destructive, worthless, disease-ridden.
Notice Valen's sidereal mundane descriptions of the first 8 degrees of the zoidion. All bounds are related to fixed stars and clusters in a similar way as there is a certain relation for every single bound.
Notice that at 23° ends Jupiter's bound of Taurus.
Notice that Valens describes all zoidia primarily using constellations and star clusters.
For we too did not in vain made our predictions by the rising of Sirius and the stars that accompany it. By eclipses, halos and comets in each constellation that they appear and we know that the Babylonians did the same.
Notice that Algol (Jupiter and Saturn) has a very positive delineation by the Anonymous.
Disregard deceptive delineations of fixed stars. The hypsoma of the Moon cannot be a place of fabled afflictions.
Notice that the Brood-hen gives many chicks.

The next 6° belong to Mercury: intelligent, sensible, criminal, with few offspring, sinister, fatal. Influenced by the stars of the Hyades, which are as Saturn and Mercury with the exception of Aldebaran (Mars and Venus), which is in the next bound.

The next 8° belong to Jupiter: great-hearted, bold, lucky, ruling and beneficent, magnanimous, temperate, loving modesty. Influenced by Tabit and Rigel, which are of the nature of Jupiter and Saturn. Aldebaran (Mars and Venus) when rising is very auspicious for births and elections.
Notice that bright stars have large influence on a particular degree, especially if they are on the ecliptic.
Notice that a bound itself is influenced by a few stars or clusters and the five bounds together make a general influence on the zoidion. For we too did not in vain prognosticate using 36 sidereal divisions and by more specific observations we chose to split them into 60 bounds.
Rigel (Jupiter and Saturn) is between the end of this bound and the beginning of the next one.

The fourth bound, the next 5°, belong to Saturn: sterile, barren, a eunuch, a vagabond, censorious, theatrical, gloomy, toilsome. Influenced by Orion, but also by Bellatrix (Mars and Mercury) which exerts a different influence.
27th degree of Taurus… shrill voice, deceptive people and they make people who are successful and have good results, obstinate and stubborn people, they who are impetuous, impulsive, insatiable and greedy in their desires, who corrupt both young boys and maidens, perjurers and oath-breakers; especially in the nocturnal genitures. If they rise at the horoscope in a diurnal geniture they make the natives become audacious and bold, fierce, people who are inclined to repent and often change their mind, false and deceitful, thieves, godless, friendless, simulators and shammers, insolent, people who stain themselves with murder, forgers and counterfeiters, cheats and swindlers and these natives sometimes do not die well. This happens especially in a diurnal geniture.
Notice how the generation of us still had the sidereal stars in mind when delineating the bounds.
Notice that day and night influence the fixed stars as much as the planets.
Notice that the nature of the stars and the bounds are not literal or equivalent, but are meant to serve as a guide not to fall into deception.
Capella (Mars and Mercury) is between the end of this bound and the beginning of the next.

The final 3° belong to Mars: masculine, tyrannical, fiery, harsh, murderous, a looter of temples and a criminal - not an unknown one, rather destructive and short-lived. Influenced by the stars at the tips of the horns that are as Mars.
Al Hecka and El Nath (Mars)
Ensis (Moon and Mars)

III. Gemini

The first 6° of Gemini belong to Mercury: temperate, with fine weather, intelligent, versatile, skilled, active, poetic, prolific. Influenced by Betelgeuse and Menkalinan, which are of the nature of Mars and Mercury.
The second degree of Gemini… these stars have Mars' and Mercury's temperament and nature and they make military heads and leaders, people who are valiant, able, skilled, strong and vigorous as well as full of energy, versatile, cunning and shrewd, people who are capable of doing a lot of varied activities and are competent at many things.
Notice the connection between the fixed stars and the bound of the zoidion.

The next 6° belong to Jupiter: competitive, temperate, with fine weather, prolific, luxuriant, beneficent. Influenced by the stars in the feet that are as Mercury and to a lesser degree as Venus. This particular bound contains little influence from other notable stars so we chose it to be the territory of Jupiter, yet we took into account the competitive nature of degrees, for we did consider that the planet is opposed to its place.

The third bound, 5°, belongs to Venus: blossoming, artistic, addicted to plays and mimes, poetic, a contest winner, popular, cheerful, prolific. Influenced by Alhena (Mercury and Venus) and Mirzam (Venus).

The fourth bound, 7° belong to Mars: much-burdened, with no brothers, having few children, a wanderer, with a good income, destructive, bloody, inquisitive. Influenced by Sirius (Jupiter and Mars), Canopus (Saturn and Jupiter) and Wasat (Saturn).

The last 6° belong to Saturn: temperate, a procurator, having possessions, intellectual, with a wide knowledge, distinguished, noted for intelligence, an arranger of great matters, most famous. These are untypical delineations for a Saturn bound. Consider the influence of Castor (Mercury), Adhara (Venus), Pollux (Mars) and their positive delineations by the Anonymous.

IV. Cancer

The first 7° of Cancer belong to Mars: hurling thunderbolts, moved in different directions, uneven, contradictory in his wishes, manic, prolific, poor, destructive, and in the end, base. Influenced by Procyon (Mercury and Mars). Anonymous delineates the Mars and Mercury stars in the fourth bound of Taurus along with Procyon.
Notice that the bound delineations given by Valens for these bounds are similar as well.
Aludra (Venus)

The next 6° belong to Venus: prolific, censorius, moist, changeable, skilled, popular, promiscuous. Influenced by Praesepe (Mars and Moon) and the two Asselli (Mars and Sun) that are at the end of this bound and the start of the next one. Both bounds contain popularity and skill.

The following 6° belong to Mercury: precise, a robber, a leader in public matters, a tax gatherer, in the public eye, rich, wealth-producing. Influenced by the stars in the claws that are as Saturn and Mercury. Exaltation of Jupiter.
Acubens (Saturn and Mercury)

The fourth bound, 7°, belongs to Jupiter: kingly, imperious, glorious, judging, great-hearted, temperate, ruling, entirely noble. Influenced by the constellation Leo that begins from this bound. Jupiter is exalted in Cancer.
Notice that these degrees are similar to the bound after the next one.

The final 4° belong to Saturn. In this bound everything is water, moist, poor in personal property, and in the end quite needy. Influenced by the stars in the head of the Lion that are as Saturn and Mars. Depression of Mars.
Notice that Saturn is opposed to its place in this zoidion.
Notice that it is also opposed to its other place in the next zoidion.

V. Leo

The first 6° of Leo belong to Jupiter: experienced, masculine, imperious and in general having leadership qualities, active, eminent, with no mean traits. Influenced by Regulus (Mars and Jupiter) and the stars in the neck that are as Saturn and Mercury.
Notice that Regulus has nothing to do with the Mercury bound of Virgo.
Notice that each fixed star and cluster in the proposed tropical bounds and zoidia creates a discrepancy.
Notice that only the sidereal zodiac integrates each zoidion, bound and star.
For we too did not in vain prognosticate using the stars rather than with equinoxes and solstices.

The next 5° belong to Venus: very temperate, yielding, talented, luxurious. Influenced by the faint stars in the belly and above the Lion that are of the nature of Saturn and Venus.

The third bound, 7°, belongs to Saturn: having much experience, fearful, scientific, naturally clever, narrow, religious, with many children, searching out secret lore, barren, without offspring. Influenced by the stars in the hip that are like Saturn and Venus.
Zosma (Saturn and Venus)

The next 6° belong to Mercury: addicted to plays and mimes, popular, scholastic, guiding, prescribing, intelligent. This bound is barren and characteristic of long-lived men. Influenced by the stars in the tights that are like Venus and Mercury.

The final 6° belong to Mars: very base and monstrous, destructive, injured, torpid, censured, unlucky. Influenced by the stars in the tail of the Lion (Saturn and Venus).
Leo from 25 degrees to 30 degrees… incur emotional disorders, depressions and passions. When these places ascend at the same time and rise, as we have explained above, they urge and induce people who are born in this situation to act immorally and dissolutely, not only towards women, but also towards young boys and to delight in the pleasures against nature.
Notice that the Anonymous delineates the same 6 degrees.
Denebola (Saturn and Venus)

VI. Virgo

The first 7° of Virgo belong to Mercury: lofty, procuratorial, an arranger, handsome, organizing great affairs, most intelligent, entirely noble and eminent. This bound is not, however, lucky in love. This misfortune is generally true of Virgo, especially in this bound and in that of Venus. This bound causes men who are open to criticism; the bound of Venus causes those who err constantly. They fall conspicuously short in regard to boys. Influenced by the stars in the head of the Virgin that have an effect like that of Mercury and Mars and by the stars in the Cup of Bacchus that are like Venus and Mercury.
Notice that Alkes has an influence on the last degrees of the previous bound as well.
Alkes and Labrum (Venus and Mercury)
Zavijava (Mercury and Mars)
Markeb (Saturn and Jupiter)

The next 10° belong to Venus: censured, wronging their marriage and falling into difficulty because of this, lucky in theatrical matters. They are most unnatural in their passions, especially when Saturn is in aspect; when Mercury is in aspect, they commit adultery; when Jupiter is in aspect, they commit a great number of sins which are forgivable - but still there are condemnations. When the sun is in aspect, they commit hidden actions; when the moon is in aspect, they meet with reverses and political opposition. If this bound is beheld by malefics, it causes prostitution. Passionate degrees that are influenced by Zaniah, Porrima and Auva that are as Mercury and Venus. Exaltation of Mercury.
Vindemiatrix (Saturn and Mercury)
Al-Janah and Alchiba (Mars and Saturn)
Algorab (Mars and Saturn) is between the end of this bound and the beginning of the next one.

The third bound, 4°, belongs to Jupiter: agricultural, proper, reclusive but not ignorant. Men born under this bound are trustees, fruitful, upright. Natural significations of Virgo.
Notice there are no passionate degrees as in the previous bounds.
Markeb (Saturn and Jupiter)

The fourth bound, 7°, belongs to Mars: masculine, harsh, public, demagogues, night prowlers, hired men, counterfeiters, imposters. These degrees assault men and lead them to chains, mutilation, tortures, and imprisonment. Influenced by the Bear Keeper. Depression of Venus.
Seginus (Mercury and Saturn)
Kraz (Mars and Saturn)
Hege (Mercury and Venus)

The last 2° belong to Saturn: monstrous, chilled, destructive, short-lived, the bound of deluded men. There are eminent stars in this bound, even though Arcturus rising is known to indicate fights and bad death.
Spica (Venus and Mars)
Arcturus (Jupiter and Mars) is between the end of this bound and the beginning of the next one.

VII. Libra

The first 6° of Libra belong to Saturn: kingly, lofty, effective - especially for day births, but disturbed for night births. These degrees are also barren, moist, destructive. Influenced by Bootes (Mercury and Saturn nature with the exception of Arcturus) and Virgo. Thus barren, destructive, bad at night and other untypical of Libra descriptions.

The next 5° belong to Mercury: businesslike, craftworking, marketing, the bound of instruments of exchange and numbers, collecting; in general, just and intelligent. Influenced by Princeps (Mercury and Saturn), Kambalia and Syrma (Mercury and Mars). This bound should be 8 degrees.
Notice the effect of the constellations of Virgo and Bootes.
Gacrux (Venus and Jupiter)

The third bound, 8°, belongs to Jupiter: wealth-producing, but despite that, this bound is characteristic of unlucky men, cheerlessly hoarding their possessions, living without ostentation, with a sordid lifestyle, with no appreciation of beauty, censorious - and not, of course, blessed with children. Influenced by the Crux - Mimosa and Acrux (Venus and Jupiter). This bound should be 7 degrees. Exaltation of Saturn. Depression of the Sun.
Gemma (Venus and Mercury)
Zuben Elgenubi (Saturn and Mars) at the degree of the exaltation of Saturn, thus not lucky, cheerlessness and hoarding of possessions.

The fourth bound, 7°, belongs to Venus: loving beauty, loving crafts, craftsmen themselves, e.g. sculptors, painters, engravers. In general this bound is rhythmic, pious, mild and slow, fortunate, making progress without effort, exceedingly fortunate in marriage, and lucky in everything. Natural significations of the zoidion with the exception of crafts and slowness, which are due to the influence of the powerful Zubenelschamali (Jupiter and Mercury).
Unukhalai (Saturn and Mars) is between the end of this bound and the beginning of the next one.

The remaining 4° belong to Mars: ruling, leading, lucky in all martial affairs, optimistic/spirited, steady, successful, great-hearted; not, however, with many brothers or lucky with those he has. Influenced by the previously mentioned fixed star and Agena (Venus and Jupiter). This bound should be 2 degrees.

VIII. Scorpion

The first 7° of Scorpio belong to Mars: easily upset and disturbed, unsteady, irascible, frank-speaking, arrogant, with few children but many brothers, uneven in fortune, inflamed, very appropriate for nativities which promise campaigns and travel abroad. Influenced by the stars in the right claw and the forehead of the Scorpio, which are at the end of the bound and the beginning of the next one - Isidis and Graffias, which are as Mars and Saturn. Depression of the Moon.
Rigel Kentaurus (Venus and Jupiter) is an auspicious star, especially for our latitudes at which it rises.

The next 4° belong to Venus: lucky in marriage, pious, loved by everyone, loving children, wealthy, selected for every office, living graciously. Influenced by Ophiuchus (Saturn and Venus) - Yed Prior, Yed Posterior and Marfic, as are known to you.

The third bound, 8°, belongs to Mercury: military, competitive, prizewinning, and, where words are concerned, bitter, contentious, not to be despised. These degrees are also prolific and fecund. In general they plan mischief, especially against those who attempt evil or do it. Influenced by Antares - Cor Scorpii (Mars and Jupiter) and the Engonasin (Mercury).
Han (Saturn and Venus)

The fourth bound, 5°, belongs to Jupiter: talented, lucky, high-priestly, glorified in gold, purple, and the high offices appropriate to the inherent greatness of the nativity. This bound is beneficent and as a whole loves men and gods. Influenced by the Serpent (Saturn and Mars) and the Engonasin (Mercury).
Sabik (Saturn and Venus)
Ras Algethi (Mercury)

The last 6° belong to Saturn: punitive, with few children or brothers, haters of their own relatives, poisoners, melancholic, and misogynists, having secret wounds, and in general very punitive and cursing fate. They are hated by both gods and men; they resist their superiors and are despised by their inferiors. Influenced by the sting of the Scorpion and Ophiuchus, thus poisoners.
Ras Alhague (Saturn and Venus)
Lesath (Mercury and Mars)

IX. Sagittarius

The first 12° of Sagittarius belong to Jupiter: active men. These degrees are damp but temperate, dabbling in all crafts and skills, prolific, with many children and brothers, yet poor. Influenced by the twin nebulas Aculeus and Acumen which are as Mars and Moon, Sinistra (Saturn and Venus), Spiculum and Al Nasr at the tip of the arrow (Mars and Moon) and the stars in the bow of the Archer - Polis, Kaus Media, Kaus Astralis and Kaus Borealis which are like Jupiter and Mars.
Notice that the stars at the end of the bound are more preferable than those at the beginning, which are prone to indicate injury.

The next 5° belong to Venus: temperate, prominent, victorious, prizewinning, pious, honored both by the masses and by the rulers, blessed with children and brothers, living with many women. Natural significations of Sagitarrius.
Facies (Sun and Mars)

The third bound, 4°, belongs to Mercury: verbal, subtle, active, producing eternal verities, philosophical, and in general prominent in science and wisdom; fond of learning if Mercury inclines, but if Mars inclines, loving weapons and tactics. Influenced by Pelagus and Ascella, which are as Jupiter and Mercury, and by Vega (Venus and Mercury).
Notice that Manubrium and Head-Archer (Sun and Mars) are near Vega as well, thus the bound is known to give love of weapons and tactics or wisdom depending on which planet is being influenced and its strength.

The next 5° fall to Saturn: sterile and baneful, cold, harmful, characteristic of base and completely unlucky men. Influenced by the stars in the feet that are as Jupiter and Saturn. We do not think this delineation is often the case, though the author mentions varied possibilities for Sagittarius that we too have observed.
Sheliak (Venus and Mercury)
Dheneb (Mars and Jupiter) of the Eagle is between the end of this bound and the beginning of the next one.

The next 4° belong to Mars: hot, rash, violent, shameless, destructive - except that this bound is restless in all things. All the bounds in Sagittarius indicate varied possibilities in all matters. Influenced by the Eagle (Mars and Jupiter).
He that is born with this bound rising will grow bent on spoil and aggression, but should he enlists himself in a noble cause, he will turn his depravity into virtue and be glorious among men.

X. Capricorn

The first 7° in Capricorn belong to Mercury: theatrical, comic, on the stage, lying, whoring, seducing, covetous of others' things, of no reputation, talented in everything, blessed, wealthy, but not of high rank. Influenced by the Eagle and by the stars at the horn of Pan, which are as Venus and Mars, between the end of this bound and the next one.
Albireo (Venus and Mercury)

The next 7° belong to Jupiter: it brings vicissitudes of glory and infamy, wealth and poverty, largess and public ridicule. This bound is barren, having female or deformed children, of low rank, vulgar. There is nothing wrong with female children. Influenced by Dabih and Oculus and the stars in the mouth (Saturn and Venus) which are passionate degrees.

The next 8° belong to Venus: profligate, lecherous, downward-trending, thoughtless, censured, having their ends very much in doubt, not dying well, nor steady in marriage. Influenced by the heart and back of the Goat and by Aquarius. Depression of Jupiter.
Armus (Mercury and Saturn)
Dormus (Saturn and Jupiter)
Albali (Saturn and Mercury)

The fourth bound, 4°, belongs to Saturn: severe, cheerless, alien, unlucky with their children and brothers, bloody and destructive, cold, pitiless/stand-offish, malicious, slow to act, but tricky. Influenced by the stars in the belly and tail of Pan, which are as Saturn and Jupiter.
Castra (Saturn and Jupiter)
Nashira (Saturn and Jupiter) is between the end of this bound and the beginning of the next one.

The last 4° belong to Mars: lofty, prosperous, dictatorial, aiming at rule in everything, poor, destructive of their own relatives and of brothers, wandering, loving solitude, quarrelsome to the end. Influenced by the stars in the tail of the Goat, which are as Saturn and Jupiter. Mars is more constructive in places of Saturn. Exaltation of Mars.
Deneb Algedi (Saturn and Jupiter)
Sadalsuud (Saturn and Mercury)

XI. Aquarius

The first 7° of Aquarius belong to Mercury: rich, miserly, gladly hoarding wealth up to the measure of the nativity, intelligent, learned in the law, precisely defining everything, imperious, petty, careworn, loving education and all disciplines, supervisory, overseeing, philanthropic. Influenced by the stars in the shoulders of the Water Bearer, which are as Saturn and Mercury.
Ancha (Mercury and Saturn) and Sadalmelik (Saturn and Mercury) are between the end of this bound and the beginning of the next one.

The next 6° belong to Venus: loving well, pious, wealthy without effort, profiting by sudden and unexpected good fortune, prosperous, seafaring. These are prolific degrees. It is beneficial for anyone born under these degrees to unite with old women, the feeble, or with eunuchs, and to gain advantage from the barren or the aged. Influenced by the bright stars Fomalhaut and Deneb Algide, which are of the nature of Venus and Mercury. Notice that the Anonymous has similar delineation of Fomalhaut to Valen's delineation of this bound.

The next 7° belong to Jupiter: lucky, petty, lurking at home, careless of his reputation, living in obscurity, fortunate in his children, misanthropic. Influenced by the stars in and near the stream of water, which are as Saturn and Jupiter.
Skat and Situla (Saturn and Jupiter)
Achernar (Jupiter) of Eridanus has influence between the end of this bound and the beginning of the next one.

The next 5° belong to Mars: diseased (particularly in the internal organs), troubled by lawsuits; this bound is characteristic of wicked, intractable, and incapable men - except that these men readily attempt evil deeds. Influenced by Pegasus.
Homam (Mars and Mercury)

The remaining degrees, 5°, belong to Saturn: barren, moist, conceiving with difficulty, enfeebled, especially in the dura mater and the internal organs, afflicted with dropsy and fits, poor, with few brothers or children, envious, unlucky in their ends. Influenced by Pegasus.
Markab (Mars and Mercury)

XII. Pisces

The first 12° of Pisces belong to Venus: cheery, fecund, downward-trending, luxurious, living graciously, with a friendly greeting, celebrating, loving, making progress without effort, dear to the gods. Natural significations of Pisces.
Scheat (Mars and Mercury)
Deneb Kaitos (Saturn)

The next 4° belong to Jupiter: literary, learned, preeminent among the masses and victorious over everyone because of his words, with many brothers, prolific, with many children, having too many associates and brothers. Natural significations of Pisces. Depression of Mercury.
Algenib (Mars and Mercury)

The next 3° belong to Mercury: fecund, ruling, those of high rank, with many friends, bounteous, loving their parents, charitable, pious, temperate. Influenced by Cepheus.
Alderamin (Saturn and Jupiter)

The next 9° belong to Mars: active, naval warriors, bold guides, attaining success in mystic lore, plundering but then restoring, varied, not dying a natural death. Influenced by Andromeda, thus boldness and naval warriors. Exaltation of Venus.
Alpheratz (Venus)
Baten Kaitos (Saturn)

The last 2° belong to Saturn: enfeebled, moist, subject to fits, entirely unlucky. Influenced by Kurdah (Saturn and Jupiter) and Acamar (Saturn).

XIII. End

We have given instruction about what effect each degree produces. And we have walked through each bound and cast further light upon it.

Such then are our observations of the effects of the stars and zoidia themselves.

Whoso loves unquietness, let him be reformed.

Petosiris
Valens
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s entire.pdf

Anonymous
http://www.cieloeterra.it/eng/eng.te...9/eng.379.html

petosiris

Banned
Honestly, it was better without it, as I no longer hold that theory. I mean I was trying to tie everything together in the Hellenistic mess with a sidereal zodiac, but I gave up soon after it (the bounds worked better with a sidereal zodiac, but still not a solution to the full degrees and decans of Hephaistio, Firmicus and Teucer).

Yes, copyright is a serious matter, maybe I remember wrong that Riley released that to the public? (I do not see a copyright?) I am fine with it, and I respect the administrator's decision + I admit I was a bit trolling at the time (though with good intentions).

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Honestly, it was better without it, as I no longer hold that theory.
I mean I was trying to tie everything together in the Hellenistic mess with a sidereal zodiac
but I gave up soon after it
(the bounds worked better with a sidereal zodiac
but still not a solution to the full degrees and decans of Hephaistio, Firmicus and Teucer).

Yes, copyright is a serious matter,
maybe
I remember wrong
that
Riley released that to the public? (I do not see a copyright?)

I am fine with it, and I respect the administrator's decision
+ I was a bit trolling at the time.
(though with good intentions).
I understand - opinions evolve/morph/change :smile:
I also respect the moderators decision
the thread was simply composed of Riley quote of Valens
HOWEVER
you are correct that
Professor Mark Riley of CSU released the Valens pdf
from which you quoted
FREE to the public
and there is in fact no copyright - Valens died two thousand years ago as well
so obviously Valens original text is out of copyright in any event

There are a number of threads over on skyscript
attesting to the fact that
unsurprisingly
"the ancients" used a sidereal "zodiac"

27067402_759221840930218_7352028552686824256_n.jpg

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
I understand - opinions evolve/morph/change :smile:
I also respect the moderators decision
the thread was simply composed of Riley quote of Valens
HOWEVER
you are correct that
Professor Mark Riley of CSU released the Valens pdf
from which you quoted
FREE to the public
and there is in fact no copyright - Valens died two thousand years ago as well
so obviously Valens original text is out of copyright in any event

There are a number of threads over on skyscript
attesting to the fact that
unsurprisingly
"the ancients" used a sidereal "zodiac"

''For I discovered some things and simply appended them to my earlier writings, due to the sudden rush of enthusiasm caused by
my discoveries - the compiler was in ecstasy, particularly about these matters, and he felt that he was meeting God face to face.'' - Valens, Anthology trans. Riley

At the time I was in the same ecstasy about my discovery and did not even care to order my thoughts in some manner. In fact, I lost a bit of sanity back then*, as can be seen from the structure of the post. As I said, I thought I had found the key to astrology. Good to know that I did not break a copyright after all, huge thanks to prof. Riley, (I do not know what I would have been doing with my life without that amazing translation.)

I agree with you that talking traditional astrology is impossible without sidereal considerations, even more so than modern astrology which is arguably tropical in theory and practice.

* - especially around the Length of Life technique - http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=104461&sid=c3db9cf050805678dc976ded12be2e5e

Last edited:

Senecar

I, too, was under impression that to the ancients stars were gods, and the lights from the stars are messages for the basis for predictions.

For modern / evolutionary astrologers, I am not absolutely sure but, they seem more focusing on the signs of stars and personality of people - hence psychological mappings between minds and the stars (signs). They don't seem keen on making any type of predictions. They are against making astrological predictions, because it is impossible or doesn't work, they insist, and even morally wrong to make such predictions if they are negative nature. Astrology is for human psyche development and personality analysis only.

Crowley had been a skeptic in trying to explaining how Astrology works, and saw no point on even doing so.
If you really are to explain even how heat works and what electricity is in today's realists' term, you cannot do it.
What is heat? What is electricity and how and why do they work? - no one actually knows. They just know it works and use them for their daily lives.

He says even all the scientific explanations are based on imaginary postulated matters such as atoms and nucleus.

Astrology has been practiced from thousands of years ago, and it worked. So if one believes it works, and knows how to use it, then let them do it. If one does not, then there is no point trying to get him/her using it. It's up to the individual. Reading Introduction on his book "The General Principles of Astrology", that is the impression I am getting.

I was further reading his analysis on some of the planets in houses part, and it looks quite accurate (I was looking at my friend's birth chart at the same time and reading Crowley's analysis on the planet in the house) and rich in content.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I, too, was under impression that to the ancients stars were gods, and the lights from the stars are messages for the basis for predictions.

For modern / evolutionary astrologers, I am not absolutely sure but, they seem more focusing on the signs of stars and personality of people - hence psychological mappings between minds and the stars (signs). They don't seem keen on making any type of predictions. They are against making astrological predictions, because it is impossible or doesn't work, they insist, and even morally wrong to make such predictions if they are negative nature. Astrology is for human psyche development and personality analysis only.

Crowley had been a skeptic in trying to explaining how Astrology works, and saw no point on even doing so.
If you really are to explain even how heat works and what electricity is in today's realists' term, you cannot do it.
What is heat? What is electricity and how and why do they work? - no one actually knows. They just know it works and use them for their daily lives.

He says even all the scientific explanations are based on imaginary postulated matters such as atoms and nucleus.

Astrology has been practiced from thousands of years ago, and it worked.
So if one believes it works, and knows how to use it, then let them do it.
If one does not, then there is no point trying to get him/her using it.
It's up to the individual.
Reading Introduction on his book "The General Principles of Astrology", that is
the impression I am getting.

I was further reading his analysis on some of the planets in houses part, and it looks quite accurate (I was looking at my friend's birth chart at the same time and reading Crowley's analysis on the planet in the house) and rich in content.
quote-the-stars-are-like-letters-that-inscribe-themselves-at-every-moment-in-the-sky-everything-plotinus-81-4-0425.jpg

petosiris

Banned
I absolutely agree with Plotinus' Tractate ''On Whether The Stars Causes''. However, philosophical thinking is not enough in contemporary science.

Science demands empirical data, not rationalism, and occultists usually hold ''diaries'' of ''scientific religion'', but why they do not give this arcane information to the scientists?

''Practically, "I concentrated my mind upon a white radiant triangle in whose centre was a shining eye, for 22 minutes and 10 seconds, my attention wandering 45 times" is a scientific and valuable statement. "I prayed fervently to the Lord for the space of many days" means anything or nothing. Anybody who cares to do so may imitate my experiment and compare his result with mine. In the latter case one would always be wondering what "fervently" meant and who "the Lord" was, and how many days made "many."'' - http://www.the-equinox.org/vol1/no1/eqi01012.html ,The Soldier and the Hunchback ! And ?, Aleister Crowley

Absolutely. Then give them the data.

JUPITERASC

I absolutely agree with Plotinus' Tractate ''On Whether The Stars Causes''. However, philosophical thinking is not enough in contemporary science.

Science demands empirical data, not rationalism, and occultists usually hold ''diaries'' of ''scientific religion'', but why they do not give this arcane information to the scientists?

''Practically, "I concentrated my mind upon a white radiant triangle in whose centre was a shining eye, for 22 minutes and 10 seconds, my attention wandering 45 times" is a scientific and valuable statement. "I prayed fervently to the Lord for the space of many days" means anything or nothing. Anybody who cares to do so may imitate my experiment and compare his result with mine. In the latter case one would always be wondering what "fervently" meant and who "the Lord" was, and how many days made "many."'' - http://www.the-equinox.org/vol1/no1/eqi01012.html ,The Soldier and the Hunchback ! And ?, Aleister Crowley

Absolutely. Then give them the data.
FeynmanRichard-Doubt500x250px.jpg