Confounded by 6th House

marestar20

Hi everyone,

I've been studying astrology since 2009, and am still having trouble wrapping my head around the activity going on in my 6th house, and was hoping some of the more experienced posters could help shed some light on the COLLECTIVE impact of the planets in this house.

As you can see below, I have Uranus (conj. 5th house Saturn), Neptune, Mercury, and the Sun in the 6th House. I have had a lot of difficulty over the years living my life in a way that allows me to be healthy. The circumstances of my youth did not allow for creating or maintaining daily habits and personal hygiene (check out the aspects from Aries Moon/10th), which is reflected by the presence of both Uranus and Neptune in this house. Figuring out this dynamic is a major part of my life right now, and has been for the last several years (the Uranus/Pluto square has been dancing on top of my Merc/Moon square). I've dealt with many of the mysterious health issues suggested by Neptune/6th, and am continually working to create a framework for my life in which these are no longer daily concerns (though I realize that may be impossible).

The part I find most confusing is how to interpret the Neptune/Merc/Sun stellium that conjuncts my Desc. From what I've read, the conjunction to the descendent means that these three planets will reflect the nature of my spouse (which I can confirm: my husband has Sun/Merc conjunct in Pisces/3rd, Neptune in Cap/1st). But I have difficulty interpreting this aspect as it relates to me personally, and how I should approach daily living/work to yield the best results. Oftentimes I feel like I'm fighting against the current trying to keep the Neptunian tendencies at bay! Sometimes it feels like Neptunian things are good for me, but sometimes they feel destructive. Any thoughts/advice on how to integrate these energies constructively?

Please let me know if there's any further information (biographical or otherwise) that might be helpful in examining this matter.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!
Best,
- Mary

Attachments

• astro_24gw_01_anonymous_2015224.85926.1752.jpg
    astro_24gw_01_anonymous_2015224.85926.1752.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 40

Kannon

The part I find most confusing is how to interpret the Neptune/Merc/Sun stellium that conjuncts my Desc.

This is going to seem to pull the rug out from under your chart, but the answer depends on exactly where your Asc is. (That also determines what aspects are in effect in declination.) It is not 18 Cancer. It could be a few degrees later or earlier, which would change the picture a bit.

In any case, don't strain over this. You've not been studying astrology long enough to be able to have equal understanding of all factors even within your own chart.

Neptune in the 6th when it shows up as recurring or chronic health issues generally relates to:
I. Missing nutritional factors:
(a) minerals
(b) vitamins
II. Poisons in/affecting your body:
(a) present in body structures such as dental fillings
(b) from regular intake such as water/food/air

The thing to do is not work your brain too hard trying to 'figure out' these astrological factors, but to follow up on these Neptunian (hidden) factors relating to bodily health matters that can be discovered.

Make use of your intuition as suggested by Cancer rising and feel your way through this while making the effort to gain more information about what could be contributing to your health issues.

Added note: Your correct Asc is most likely a bit earlier, putting Saturn in the 6th house opp Chiron in 12th.

JUPITERASC

Hi everyone,

I've been studying astrology since 2009,
and am still having trouble wrapping my head around
the activity going on in my 6th house,
and was hoping some of the more experienced posters
could help shed some light on the COLLECTIVE impact of the planets in this house.

As you can see below, I have Uranus (conj. 5th house Saturn), Neptune,
Mercury, and the Sun in the 6th House
I have had a lot of difficulty over the years living my life in a way that allows me to be healthy.
The circumstances of my youth did not allow for creating or maintaining daily habits and personal hygiene
(check out the aspects from Aries Moon/10th),
which is reflected by the presence of both Uranus and Neptune in this house.
Figuring out this dynamic is a major part of my life right now,
and has been for the last several years
(the Uranus/Pluto square has been dancing on top of my Merc/Moon square).
I've dealt with many of the mysterious health issues suggested by Neptune/6th,
and am continually working to create a framework for my life in which these are no longer daily concerns
(though I realize that may be impossible).

The part I find most confusing is how to interpret the Neptune/Merc/Sun stellium that conjuncts my Desc.
From what I've read, the conjunction to the descendent means that these three planets will reflect the nature of my spouse
(which I can confirm: my husband has Sun/Merc conjunct in Pisces/3rd, Neptune in Cap/1st).
But I have difficulty interpreting this aspect as it relates to me personally,
and how I should approach daily living/work to yield the best results.
Oftentimes I feel like I'm fighting against the current trying to keep the Neptunian tendencies at bay!
Sometimes it feels like Neptunian things are good for me, but sometimes they feel destructive.
Any thoughts/advice on how to integrate these energies constructively?

Please let me know if there's any further information (biographical or otherwise) that might be helpful in examining this matter.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!
Best,
- Mary
6th House main rulerships include Illness and disease
All matters relating to the health industry and those who work in it: dentists, doctors, nurses.
Employees, tenants and servants :smile:
Lilly specifically mentions day-labourers, farmers and shepherds.
Goldstein-Jacobson mentions those who live on the native's property, such as caretakers, au-pairs, lodgers, etc.
Also domestic issues gernerally
this house has some relevance to domestic appliances that are purchased to ease day to day chores and laborious tasks.
Pets, small animals and lesser cattle (ie., hogs, sheep, goats, rabbits)
and any profit or loss attached to the sale of such cattle.
The 6th house also has a connection with farming and crops generally. Deborah Houlding HOUSES TEMPLES OF THE SKY

Generally 6th is regarded as a house of sorrow, weakness and affliction.
As a cadent house it represents alien or unhelpful conditions
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/h6.html

JUPITERASC

HOW TO PROCEED WHEN TWO OR MORE PLANETS OCCUPY A HOUSE

'…....When many planets occupy same house,
The most powerful action on the house significations
is from house ruler :smile:
then, from exaltation ruler
then from planet with closest natural analogy with house meanings.
When, among many planets occupying same house,
some correspond by their analogy to meanings attached to the house,
whereas others are contrary to them
then ascertain which of these two groups is most powerful.
If the former, the affairs indicated will be achieved
if the latter, their realization will be impeded or prevented........'

'….When planets occupying same house are all benefics,
they anticipate fulfillment of good fortune
and suppression of misfortune indicated by the house.
If they are malefics, the contrary will occur,
unless they are in good zodiacal state in a favorable house.
If some are benefics, and others malefics,
examine with care which of the two groups is most powerful,
and judge according to the result of this organization
If, in a fortunate house,
a benefic planet is followed by another benefic,
this indicates that good produced by house affairs will be stable.....'

HOWEVER

'…..If the benefic is followed by a malefic, the fortune acquired will be lost
In an unfortunate house,
a benefic followed by another benefic indicates that the misfortune will not be realized,
or if it is,
in an extremely limited way.
If this benefic is followed by a malefic, however,
the misfortune signified by the house will certainly occur,
but the native will escape it.
But if a malefic is followed by another malefic,
the misfortunes caused will be very serious and the native will never escape them....'

source of the above information http://www.forumonastrology.com/foa/newmain.html

BENJAMIN DYKES INTERVIEW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP7LwIA9yMY

marestar20

HOW TO PROCEED WHEN TWO OR MORE PLANETS OCCUPY A HOUSE

'…....When many planets occupy same house,
The most powerful action on the house significations
is from house ruler :smile:
then, from exaltation ruler
then from planet with closest natural analogy with house meanings.
When, among many planets occupying same house,
some correspond by their analogy to meanings attached to the house,
whereas others are contrary to them
then ascertain which of these two groups is most powerful.
If the former, the affairs indicated will be achieved
if the latter, their realization will be impeded or prevented........'

'….When planets occupying same house are all benefics,
they anticipate fulfillment of good fortune
and suppression of misfortune indicated by the house.
If they are malefics, the contrary will occur,
unless they are in good zodiacal state in a favorable house.
If some are benefics, and others malefics,
examine with care which of the two groups is most powerful,
and judge according to the result of this organization
If, in a fortunate house,
a benefic planet is followed by another benefic,
this indicates that good produced by house affairs will be stable.....'

HOWEVER

'…..If the benefic is followed by a malefic, the fortune acquired will be lost
In an unfortunate house,
a benefic followed by another benefic indicates that the misfortune will not be realized,
or if it is,
in an extremely limited way.
If this benefic is followed by a malefic, however,
the misfortune signified by the house will certainly occur,
but the native will escape it.
But if a malefic is followed by another malefic,
the misfortunes caused will be very serious and the native will never escape them....'

source of the above information http://www.forumonastrology.com/foa/newmain.html

BENJAMIN DYKES INTERVIEW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP7LwIA9yMY

Very interesting information, thank you for sharing it.

So, if 6th cusp is in Sagittarius, and Jupiter in 9th is sextile to Mercury/Sun and quintile Neptune - but square to Uranus - do you think the malefics or the benifics are more dominant? Also, what do you think the impact might be of Neptune being Jupiter's ruler?

marestar20

This is going to seem to pull the rug out from under your chart, but the answer depends on exactly where your Asc is. (That also determines what aspects are in effect in declination.) It is not 18 Cancer. It could be a few degrees later or earlier, which would change the picture a bit.

In any case, don't strain over this. You've not been studying astrology long enough to be able to have equal understanding of all factors even within your own chart.

Neptune in the 6th when it shows up as recurring or chronic health issues generally relates to:
I. Missing nutritional factors:
(a) minerals
(b) vitamins
II. Poisons in/affecting your body:
(a) present in body structures such as dental fillings
(b) from regular intake such as water/food/air

The thing to do is not work your brain too hard trying to 'figure out' these astrological factors, but to follow up on these Neptunian (hidden) factors relating to bodily health matters that can be discovered.

Make use of your intuition as suggested by Cancer rising and feel your way through this while making the effort to gain more information about what could be contributing to your health issues.

Added note: Your correct Asc is most likely a bit earlier, putting Saturn in the 6th house opp Chiron in 12th.

Hi Kannon, thank you for replying.

I've never had anyone suggest that my ASC is off before - I've always assumed that it was accurate since it's recorded so exactly on my birth certificate - what leads you to think the ASC is incorrect? I'm very curious. :) I've always really connected with the placement of Saturn in 5th because I have a very hard time expressing myself and feeling like it's okay to have fun; to me, it feels like it's echoing the energy of Chiron in Gemini. Also, my husband and I both work in the arts (Capricorn on 7th cusp).

I definitely agree with what you're saying about using intuition to navigate health issues; I've been doing that extensively over the last 5 years as it's been difficult to get help from others (aside from one energy worker who was a revelation). And I think there was an issue with vitamins/minerals before I started taking epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), which dramatically reduced the aches and pains I was having and improved my sleep.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Very interesting information, thank you for sharing it.
That's ok :smile:
So, if 6th cusp is in Sagittarius
and Jupiter in 9th is sextile to Mercury/Sun and quintile Neptune - but square to Uranus -

do you think the malefics or the benifics are more dominant?
FREE ONLILNE STUDY RESOURCE GLOSSARY OF TERMS :smile:

MALEFICS
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/malefics.html

- also known as 'infortunes', these are planets that naturally symbolise damage and loss. Traditionally these are Saturn, the 'Greater Malefic' and Mars, the 'Lesser Malefic'. Both are extreme in nature: Saturn being cold and dry, and Mars exceeding in heat.

If the natural malefics are positively placed in the chart, well dignified, strong in position and involved in good aspects, their influence may be beneficial rather than afflicting.

The South Node is also considered to be a detrimental point and is thus traditionally termed a malefic.

The article on the life and work of Ptolemy explains the humoral philosophy behind benefics and malefics.

BENEFICS
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/benefics.html

- Also known as 'fortunes' these are planets that assist in a positive outcome. Traditionally, Jupiter is known as the 'Greater Benefic' and Venus as the 'Lesser Benefic'. Both are temperate planets, Jupiter being moderately hot and moist, and Venus moderately cold and moist, bringing fertility and assistance. They offer benefits and protection and when in good aspects to the significators.

However, if the benefics are in a damaged condition and make difficult aspects, or act as rulers the houses that are traditionally considered unfortunate, ie: - 4th, 6th, 8th and 12th - they cease to be beneficial and are capable of causing affliction.

The North Node is also considered to be a beneficial point and is thus traditionally termed a benefic.

Also, what do you think the impact might be of Neptune being Jupiter's ruler?
Pisces is Jupiter's domicile
i.e.
Jupiter rules Pisces
as shown by this table in common use amongst astrologers

dignities2.gif

Kannon

I've never had anyone suggest that my ASC is off before

You've never come across an astrologer who understands as much about the subject as me.

I've always assumed that it was accurate since it's recorded so exactly on my birth certificate ...

Not necessarily. But you phrase your statement accurately by saying "assumed." Its a common sense assumption, but does not work out consistently.

...what leads you to think the ASC is incorrect? I'm very curious. :)

My expertise on the matter. Your Asc is definitely not 18/19 Cancer. It could be a couple degrees later or at least a few degrees earlier. It won't do any good to explain any further here. I'll be eventually putting up a web page on my site to explain things generally relating to the birth process, but it probably will only hold the interest of those more metaphysically inclined.

I've always really connected with the placement of Saturn in 5th because I have a very hard time expressing myself and feeling like it's okay to have fun; to me, it feels like it's echoing the energy of Chiron in Gemini. Also, my husband and I both work in the arts (Capricorn on 7th cusp).

1 out of 12 people's birth charts have Saturn in the 5th house. Are there that many working artists? No. Saturn in the 5th house does not demand art as your profession. If Saturn's house position indicated our profession I would be a banker (8th). I could not be more disinterested in banking.

Instead this points more to the signs on the Asc and MC. You are just likely to have Asc/MC in water signs or in aspect to a watery planet, like an aspect to Neptune, even a hidden one in declination.

Besides having difficulty expressing yourself may be why you are an artist and that is very 'water.' Planet factors relating to art are Venus, Neptune. Signs are water, sometimes Libra/Taurus/Leo/Aqua.

I definitely agree with what you're saying about using intuition to navigate health issues; I've been doing that extensively over the last 5 years as it's been difficult to get help from others (aside from one energy worker who was a revelation). And I think there was an issue with vitamins/minerals before I started taking epsom salt baths (magnesium sulfate), which dramatically reduced the aches and pains I was having and improved my sleep.

Glad to hear you have found an energy working who has helped you. That can do you more good than anything when you have a mysterious condition or a complicated one that does not seem to have a clearcut treatment. In 2004 I hit rock bottom with the depression so bad I would not wish on my worst enemy (not that I have any). An energy healer I contacted who was over 300 miles away was not only able to help me -- by phone -- but helped me to become an energy healer myself. I've just recently been getting back to practicing it.

JUPITERASC

I've never had anyone suggest that my ASC is off before
- I've always assumed that it was accurate since it's recorded so exactly on my birth certificate
- what leads you to think the ASC is incorrect? I'm very curious.
:)

I've always really connected with the placement of Saturn in 5th because I have a very hard time expressing myself and feeling like it's okay to have fun; to me, it feels like it's echoing the energy of Chiron in Gemini. Also, my husband and I both work in the arts (Capricorn on 7th cusp).

At the time of birth the medical team focus is on the welfare of the mother and the baby
and not on consulting timepieces, watches, clocks on the wall, computer clocks and so forth :smile:

Furthermore, commonsense dictates that immediately following a birth
both mother and newborn require medical attention
the newborn requires washing
then must be dried, weighed, clothed
and only then is an official time of birth noted
often it is an estimated time
sometimes it's simply the time when written notes are being completed by medical staff
hospital procedures regarding notes varies

and so astrologers tend to seek to verify the official time of birth
with a process known as rectification

There are several rectification methods

BASIC STEPS

List major life events
such as academic rewards, degree, diplomas, exams passed,
operations, hospital admissions of any kind, accidents
relocation to a new home, relocation abroad
marriages, divorces
births
deaths
starting first job, leaving old job, starting new job
anything important.

Btw exclude dates that are "give or take a couple of weeks"
as being totally too inaccurate!

Specific dates for major events

means the actual exact day
as well as the precise time of the occurrenc
e

Interesting discussion entitled "Rectification by Trutine of Hermes/Animodar" at http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=822

Physical appearance indicators are worth checking out
Astrologer RON BIPPUS conducted forty years of research
and his published conclusions are shown at
http://reocities.com/athens/delphi/1601/physical.html

even within the same race there are differences of skin tone and eye colour
It's not unusual for children of the same race to be fairer or darker complexioned than their siblings.

and
within the race of white/whitish people some siblings are darker/lighter complexioned than others
and likewise
within the race of black/blackish people some siblings are darker/lighter complexioned than others

so
focusing on height, weight, bone structure, eye colour gives overall good results

Black people with Blue eyes and other ethnicities Parts 1 and 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vhW7rR6VDg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCPBpCWm89Y

RECTIFICATION TIPS and discussion http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51626

waybread

Mary, on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the stress in your life now?

I'd guess fairly high, with those squares in your chart to your 6th house planets; and a sprinkling of quintiles together with your Capricorn planets that confer some ambition. Whether you feel you're on track for achieving those ambitions is another matter. Squares tend to scream that we DO SOMETHING yet they don't make it easy for us to achieve what they demand.

With your moon square Mercury and Neptune, you strike me as a very idealistic person. Idealism is a good servant but a poor master.

Just to cite some basics of modern astrology, your sun is your sense of identity-- what you feel is the true you. When a planet conjuncts your sun, it shows what you identify with. (This is different in horary and traditional astrology.) Mercury suggests that you identify (sun) with your intelligence. Then Neptune can either make you a visionary (some leading scientists have sun-Neptune contacts,) or someone suffering from ongoing disillusionment.

So the key is to identify empowering interpretations of your planets. Sun conjunct Neptune and Mercury in Capricorn isn't going to change, but you can identify constructive meanings of these placements. So often in astrology, if we don't exemplify the constructive meanings of our planets, the chart still has to express itself, so we then fall back on the negative ones.

For starters, anything you can do to contain the stress in your life should be beneficial.

With Mars in Pisces, watery Cancer rising, and Neptune in your 6th house of health, can you take up a water sport like aquatic exercise or lap-swimming at your nearest rec center? Vigorous physical exercise is good for a lot of psychosomatic disorders-- if this is what you have. Saturn in the 6th should like endurance sports that require a lot of self-discipline.

Can you create a workable vision for something in your life that your Capricorn nature is ready to tackle? Nothing too big, just something that you know you can complete in a practical way.

Then think about shifting your health concerns to the principal alternate meaning of the 6th house, which is service to others. Maybe a volunteer hobby or project in your workplace appeals to you. If you supervise anybody at work, think of how to improve their work experience.

The 6th also rules small animals. Maybe volunteering at an animal shelter would appeal.

Anyway, even if these suggestions miss the mark, see if you can pull something out of them as generalities that you can apply to your life now.

Last edited:

marestar20

Hi waybread,

My stress levels now are actually much better than they were a few years ago. Fall of 2008- Fall of 2011 was a rough time, but since then things have been getting better and better. Since that time, I've gotten married and moved across the country, away from negative family influences. Also, the small business that my husband and I run is starting to gain some footing, and we're less concerned about our financial situation month-to-month. So, I guess I'd say my stress levels are 2-4, depending upon the day. :)

As you suggest, vigorous physical exercise has been really helpful for me in the last 8 months or so; last week, I signed up for my first formal 5k race! Having concrete goals - like distance, speed, or lean body mass - has been great for organizing my life. For example, it's a lot easier for me to maintain a regular sleep schedule, eat right, and drink moderately when I know that it's going to help my athletic performance. Solo athletics that build up my physical strength/endurance seem to be a good way of satisfying those conflicting Aries/Capricorn energies! I've also been using my intuition more when deciding how much and how hard to run, rather than blindly following a training plan (which led to some injuries in the first few months of training). And I think Mars in Pisces responds well to my regular epsom salt baths, which aid recovery and improve my sleep! :)

marestar20

JUPITERASC,

After looking at the articles you posted, I'm wondering if my actual birth time might be 5:56pm rather than 5:44pm, which would put my ASC at Cancer 21'23". The decan-appearance based method seems to put me in the Pisces decan of Cancer, and my DSC ruler (Saturn) on my wedding day was at 21'31" Scorpio.

JUPITERASC

JUPITERASC,

After looking at the articles you posted,

I'm wondering if my actual birth time might be 5:56pm

rather than 5:44pm,

which would put my ASC at Cancer 21'23".

The decan-appearance based method seems to put me in the Pisces decan of Cancer,

and

my DSC ruler (Saturn) on my wedding day was at 21'31" Scorpio.
Well done for good astrologicalsleuthing marestar20 - so let's home in on DSC ruler Saturn :smile:

and following the wedding day chart rectification technique
we keep in mind that
on your wedding day
the Ascendant Ruler and the Ruler of DSC must connect to the Natal Horizon DESC/ASC axis

because that is what a wedding is, astrologically!

Saturn trine Ascendant makes Descendant connection to the natal Horizon

however

keep in mind that the Ascendant ruler is the Moon

so

the location of the Moon on your wedding day requires study
possibly Moon and Saturn were in aspect on that day

marestar20

Well done for good astrologicalsleuthing marestar20 - so let's home in on DSC ruler Saturn :smile:

the location of the Moon on your wedding day requires study
possibly Moon and Saturn were in aspect on that day

Thanks!

Looks like the Moon opposed Saturn that day from the 11th house, making it sextile the ASC and trine the DSC. At UT 00:00:00, astro.com shows Moon at Taurus 21'4", Saturn at Scorpio 21'31". Interesting! :)

Speaking of Saturn, there seem to be multiple people here who think that my Saturn might be in the 6th house rather than the 5th. I'd really like to take whatever steps I can to resolve this question, as my Saturn return is immanent, and I'd like to know which themes need the most focus! For what it's worth, my Progressed Saturn is also in 5th, conjunct Venus/Neptune/Uranus.

Edited to add: looking at my chart with the modified ASC (5:56pm), it actually does make a fairly significant difference in terms of aspects to my angles. For the MC, on astro.com's chart, Moon/NN is now within a wide orb of conjunction, Saturn is trine, Pluto is quincunx, and the Sun is square. Also, Mars (ASC ruler's ruler) is now trine the ASC. Probably some other stuff too, but that's what I noticed!

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Thanks!
That's ok :smile:
Looks like the Moon opposed Saturn that day from the 11th house, making it sextile the ASC and trine the DSC. At UT 00:00:00, astro.com shows Taurus 21'4", Saturn at Scorpio 21'31". Interesting! :)
The degree of the Moon at the time the wedding vows were spoken is of particular interest
Speaking of Saturn,
there seem to be multiple people here who think that my Saturn might be in the 6th house rather than the 5th.
I'd really like to take whatever steps I can to resolve this question,

as my Saturn return is immanent, and I'd like to know which themes need the most focus!
For what it's worth, my Progressed Saturn is also in 5th, conjunct Venus/Neptune/Uranus.
Astrologers do tend to have varying opinions, that's not unusual
and
in time each astrologer forms their own opinions, dependent on their personal practice
nevertheless
keep in mind that
The house location of any natal planet is entirely dependent on the house system chosen

easily demonstrated by creating charts using any of the fourteen different house systems
on offer at astro.com's Extended Chart Selection Page

EXPLANATORY ASTROLOGICAL HOUSES ARTICLE http://www.librarising.com/astrology/misc/wholesignhouses.html

'...In no other area of astrology is there so much mess and confusion than in the area of the so-called "houses".
There are at least twenty or thirty different house systems
or means of dividing the so-called "birthchart" into twelve segments of life activity.

In astrology, houses, mansions, or domains, represent general areas of life activity
and are the grounding areas or arenas of expression for planets...'

'...Originally, the words "houses" and "signs" were interchangeable
or
meant the same thing.
A planet in Aries was also a planet in the house of Aries

so that in effect. there were no real houses as we know them today....'

'….Artificial divisions now known as houses
were attempts by early Greeks and Hindus to measure strength "points" in the horoscope
which during 7th and 8th centuries AD were construed
or confused
as means of dividing the birth chart.
The ascendant and midheaven degrees and their opposites, for example,
were definite power points or areas of intense focus, but not necessarily the beginnings of a house or quadrant. ....'