PLUTO – Does Mass Matter? Because That's Why Pluto Is No Longer A Planet

JUPITERASC

Officially then, Pluto is no longer a planet :smile:

For an object to be a planet, it needs to meet three requirements defined by the IAU:

(1) The object needs to be in orbit around the Sun – Yes, so maybe Pluto is a planet.

(2) The object needs to have enough gravity to pull itself into a spherical shape – Pluto…check

(3) The object needs to have “cleared the neighborhood” of its orbit
Uh oh. That was the rule breaker. According to this, Pluto is not a planet

Amazingly, although Pluto is not a planet, many are unaware of that fact so that is the inspiration for this thread

QUOTE:
As planets form, they become the dominant gravitational body in their orbit in the Solar System

As planets interact with other, smaller objects, they either consume them, or sling them away with their gravity

Pluto is only 0.07 times the mass of the other objects in its orbit. The Earth, in comparison, has 1.7 million times the mass of the other objects in its orbit

Source: http://www.universetoday.com/13573/why-pluto-is-no-longer-a-planet/

wintersprite1

Premium Member
picture.php

T9kle34u

Pluto is more than twice the diameter and a dozen times the mass of the dwarf planet Ceres, the largest object in the asteroid belt.
Although Pluto may no longer be defined a planet it is by definition a "dwarf planet" and as such could still be of astrological significance.

JUPITERASC

Pluto is more than twice the diameter and a dozen times the mass of the dwarf planet Ceres, the largest object in the asteroid belt.
Although Pluto may no longer be defined a planet it is by definition a "dwarf planet" and as such could still be of astrological significance.
There are currently 5 recognised 'Dwarf Planets' but it is certain that there are many more in the Kuiper Belt that have not yet been identified.

Any body in the Kuiper Belt with enough mass to attain "hydrostatic equilibrium" - meaning that it has enough mass that its gravity crushes it into a sphere - will be another "dwarf planet". There may be dozens or hundreds of them, but they are so small and far away that we haven't noticed them yet

THE FIVE RECOGNISED DWARF PLANETS ARE:

Ceres - between Mars and Jupiter in the asteroid belt.
Pluto
Eris
Makemake
Haumea

Number of dwarf planets that are in the outer solar system as of Wednesday 27 June 2012

8 objects which are nearly certainly dwarf planets,

30 objects which are highly likely to be dwarf planets,
60 objects which are likely to be dwarf planets,
103 objects which are probably dwarf planets, and
394 objects which are possibly dwarf planets”
source: California Institute of Technology
http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/dps.html:smile:

piercethevale

OH DON'T GET ME STARTED....!
I assume you have the factory specifications and requirements handed down from "MOST HIGH":annoyed:

Attachments

• awgeez II.jpg
    awgeez II.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

piercethevale

...and I've said it before...UB 313 aka Eris... isn't even natural...
as to what it is... give it a guess:bandit::andy::surprised::tongue:

Attachments

• mothership.jpg
    mothership.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 25

piercethevale

:
As planets form, they become the dominant gravitational body in their orbit in the Solar System

As planets interact with other, smaller objects, they either consume them, or sling them away with their gravity

The Earth has been struck many times... and by some rather large objects too... Daumit! Then we ain't a Planet either!:tongue:

Okay, like a big fish...I'll bite...
So exactly what hasn't the Planet Pluto 'Cleared out'?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

piercethevale

...not to mention the preponderance of astrological evidence that confirms Plutos' status.
In fact, I find it to be, quite possibly, the most influential of all the Planets.

{deleted by moderator}

Last edited by a moderator:

JUPITERASC

So exactly what hasn't the Planet Pluto 'Cleared out'?:rolleyes:
Explanation

For an object to be a planet

Uh oh. That was the rule breaker. According to this, Pluto is not a planet

QUOTE:

BUT

Pluto is only 0.07 times the mass of the other objects in its orbit. The Earth, in comparison, has 1.7 million times the mass of the other objects in its orbit

Source: http://www.universetoday.com/13573/why-pluto-is-no-longer-a-planet/

JUPITERASC

The question arose on another thread, but that thread was discussing conjunctions specifically which wasn't the point I intended to highlight, and this thread is general chat, so we can do a comparison between Pluto and the Sun from the perspective of realistic assessment of their relative importance on this thread instead, in or to highlight why JMO Pluto is of no consequence in comparison to the Sun

(1) dwarf planet Pluto
http://www.universetoday.com/13573/why-pluto-is-no-longer-a-planet/

versus

(2) The Sun

The major clue as to which trumps which is that we refer to our home planet earth as being part of 'a solar system' NOT
a 'pluto system'

Without Pluto, life on earth would continue much as usual HOWEVER, without the Sun all life, as we know it, ends for our planet. SO which of the two seems more important now I wonder.....

If the Sun were to somehow vanish from our skies then planet earth would be in perpetual icy cold and darkness both day and night.

In fact there would be no distinction between day and night BECAUSE so far as planet earth is concerned, THE SUN ALONE DETERMINES DAY AND NIGHT that's how powerful the Sun is - Pluto has no comparable influence. Therefore mass does matter....

FURTHERMORE
if there were no Sun
the Moon would have no light to reflect and would therefore be invisible.

The Sun is far more important than Pluto

Planet earth would have only the light of stars, many hundreds/ billions of light years away

Human and animal life could not survive under those conditions

What if either Pluto or the Sun vanished? Would anyone notice?

From our geocentric perspective no one on earth would notice if Pluto vanished - except a few scientists with extremely powerful telescopes - clearly Pluto has insufficient mass :smile:

BUT IF THE SUN VANISHED - NOW THAT WOULD CAUSE HAVOC!! THE SUN VANISHING WOULD BE AN INCALCULABLE INFLUENCE ON ALL PLANETS CURRENTLY IN ORBIT OF IT!!

CLEARLY MASS DOES MATTER AND THAT'S WHY PLUTO IS NO LONGER EVEN A PLANET BUT IS OFFICIALLY A BROWN DWARF.

Attachment shows that ERIS another brown Dwarf is bigger than Pluto

Attachments

• DWARF PLANETS.png
    DWARF PLANETS.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 23

Neptune Rising

Mass stopped mattering to me a long time ago :p its what effect it has inside that matters. Chiron may well be a small (ish) asteroid, but it certainly packs a punch when in hard transit to personal planets.

Doesn't matter to me what they call Pluto, planet, dog, dwarf... it still rocks.

JUPITERASC

Mass stopped mattering to me a long time ago :p its what effect it has inside that matters. Chiron may well be a small (ish) asteroid, but it certainly packs a punch when in hard transit to personal planets.

Doesn't matter to me what they call Pluto, planet, dog, dwarf... it still rocks.
Not for everyone :smile:

Although of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion which is equally as important as everyone's opinion. Opinions differ. That's not unusual

Neptune Rising

Each object in the sky has its own importance, in my opinion, and each object has its own mass. Depends also, maybe, on your astrological viewpoint as to how Pluto's significance is regarded, astrologically. Astronomically, I take what is said with a pinch of salt as it changes all the time. I've had traditional astrologers cut me dead when I talk about my natal chart house rulerships, mentioning the "P" word :bandit:. Other astrologers happily include Pluto in their discussions. There's no one size fits all. :)