Feedback on my trial readings

yuting

My friend asked me to help her read the charts for her and her bf. I think she would like a synastry reading, but since I have neither of their birthtimes, I have asked her to try find that out first. In the mean time, I have tried to do their respective natal reading. Just a general impression read, since I am beginner and the readings are without birthtime. My purpose is try to help her improve self-understanding and understanding the other person, so she can have better idea how to better interact.

Without birthtimes, I used noon to plot the charts. I ignored all the angles and houses. For moon, I just look at the possible sign(s), not the degree or aspects. I looked at the planets in signs and elements and key aspects with personal planets.

Here is my msg to her:
General personality:
You are the deep type, in search of the truth, good at reading into beyond the superficial and hate superficial people and things. intensive thinking but not necessarily practical. You might question traditional thoughts and is quite individualistic (open minded to listen to views of others, but form own opinion)
Emotionally, you are not as intense or volatile (though I cannot tell which moon you are yet, the 2 possibilities are more stable, though one more outgoing and expansive and the other more practical & careful). You might look soft and gentle, but likely you are very stubborn once you've made up your mind. Whatever you believe or feel (deeply), you are not quite comfortable sharing them or worried about whether you should have after sharing or whether you have shared it in a suitabe way (this is in daily live and also in relationship)
He is very practical in work, live and emotions, down-to-earth, and very determined. Thinking is somewhat rigid. He has a lot of drive and is someone who likes to take initiative. However, he can be somewhat negative and with a bit of inner tension, eg not satisfied with his accomplishments or worried about losing what he has accomplished. He might overdo, overcommit, then drive himself too hard to achieve it.
Like you, whatever he believes or feels deeply, he is not quite comfortable sharing them or worried about whether he should have after sharing or whether he has shared it in a suitabe way (this is in daily live and also in relationship)

In romantic matters:
You like beauty and gentleness. Romantic. direct (more so than in your work or other matters). You might be more stubborn and independent in other areas, but in relationship you are more cooperative and interactive.
He needs growth and new things and might get bored easily. Commitment (in traditional sense) might scare him. So key to interact with him and give him space, dont cling to tightly.
When he's enjoying, he will be interesting to talk to, a polite and charming conversationalist. If not happy, he could be argumentative.Well, actually he might enjoy a good argument even when he is happy ;)
Nevertheless, he is careful with relationships, he does not get involved easily. If he does, he is serious and committed (just dont tell him that or ask him if he is committed, he will do so himself in his way)

Please let me know what you think of my interpretation and any additional read on the charts you might have.

Yu-Ting

Attachments

• Peony.jpg
    Peony.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 20
  • PeonyBF.jpg
    PeonyBF.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 16

miquar

Hi Yuting. I like the way you have covered a lot of ground and think your writing is very readable too. I also like the way you use words like 'might' when you feel that the interpretation may or may not apply, and also the way you mention when certain traits are more likely to appear in particular areas of life. Keep going in the same direction is my advice.

I've found it interesting when I've looked at a noon chart and later been given the time, because it gives a sense of how much information is missing when the time is not known. You could give both interpretations to the natives and see what they make of the difference too.

Synastry is very demanding at first, if you find you are struggling to handle and synthesise all the data, I'd encourage you to just leave it alone until you have more experience with natal charts.

By way of a couple of humbly offered 'top tips' to possibly help you build on your successes so far, I would say keep in mind that the planets and signs symbolise processes of development rather than static character traits, and secondly read everything you can get hold of by Liz Greene, and any Centre for Psychological Astrology (CPA) seminar transcripts.

yuting

Miquar,

Thanks so much for your feedback and encouragement.

I am aware that a lot of info is missing without birthtime, so a lot of generalizing and might in this reading. Waiting for birthtime info if my friend can get them for refining the reading.

I know my friend is not familiar with astrology, so I just give the what (I see) but not why/how. Split out the romantic part, cos I think she's most interested in that. But then we know for a real relationship, we need to know the persons involved (self and partner), not just the romantic aspects. I understand even for synastry, it should be read in the context of the 2 indiv natals (passionate for a cool person would be passionate for an already passionate person ;) )

Just hope you can give me a bit more clarity on the point "the planets and signs symbolise processes of development rather than static character traits". Could you give a bit more explanation with maybe an example?

Thanks again

wilsontc

Staff member
what are you basing this interpretation on? to yuting

yuting,

You said:
...I used noon to plot the charts. I ignored all the angles and houses. For moon, I just look at the possible sign(s), not the degree or aspects. I looked at the planets in signs and elements and key aspects with personal planets.

Here is my msg to her:
General personality:
You are the deep type, in search of the truth, good at reading into beyond the superficial and hate superficial people and things. intensive thinking but not necessarily practical.

In order to give you feedback on your astrological method, we first have to understand your astrology. Please list after each comment how you came to your conclusions based on the chart. Then we will be much better able to give you feedback on your interpretation.

Needing the astrology,

Tim

miquar

Hi Yuting.

I would encourage you to use words like might, perhaps, possibly, etc. even where you have an accurate birth time. This gives the recipient room to respond honestly about they are actually experiencing the energies shown in the chart, so you'll learn more from them. Its also ok the give a broad interpretation of a part of the chart and ask the native to fill in the details - the real value of a reading isn't in guessing how the chart will manifest, but in the discussion which follows the pinpointing of how the energies are currently manifesting. This pinpointing has to be a joint effort between astrologer and native to be of real value. The other benefit of being tentative in your suggestions is that there is less likelihood that the native will feel a failure if they are not living up to a very positive interpretation, or afraid that a negative interpretation describes who they will become in the future.

What I meant be seeing the planets and signs as processes is that having a particular sign or planet strong in a chart doesn't make anyone anything necessarily, but it does suggest that the person must engage with that particular energy along the path to individuation.

For example, A strongly Virgo person, as part of their path through life, would benefit from cultivating technique and discrimination - this is a process they need to engage in to fulfil their purpose and embrace their true self. But of course if this person has become an extreme Virgo - overly attached to order and routine at the expense of other ways of being, then the process they need to engage in probably involves loosening up excessive defences against chaos and intuition.

Its about finding the optimum expression of each archetype. As the Ancient Greeks used to say 'Nothing in excess.' Its useful I think to look at the signs as being comprised of six polarities as well as twelve signs, because the healthy expression of any sign involves some integration of the values of the opposite sign.

yuting

Re: what are you basing this interpretation on? to yuting

Tim,

Point taken. So here is my analysis basis (next post), starting with the gal.

Yu Ting

yuting

Without the birthtime and being quite a beginner in reading, I try to stick to the strongest impressions (e.g. clusters and dominating energy) and the tightest aspects involving a personal planet (but not using Moon nor the angles). However, from my own chart, I know I can be too dogmatic and sound more authoritative than justified. :p

For her:

General personality:
You are the deep type, in search of the truth, good at reading into beyond the superficial and hate superficial people and things. intensive thinking but not necessarily practical. You might question traditional thoughts and is quite individualistic (open minded to listen to views of others, but form own opinion)

I got this from her Scorpion Sun/Mercury/Uranus cluster, esp with the Sun/Uranus conjunction enhanced by a Plutonic NN (she is of an age that she has likely started to feel the pull of the NN), plus the spiritual influence of Neptune with sextile. Jupiter is also in a deep feeling water sign. She also has a few Chiron aspects to activate deep healing energy.

Emotionally, you are not as intense or volatile (though I cannot tell which moon you are yet, the 2 possibilities are more stable, though one more outgoing and expansive and the other more practical & careful).

Her moon is either Leo or Virgo (though knowing her personally, I feel she is more Virgo Moon), together with a Libran Venus and mars in Leo should make her emotional side less volatile.
You might look soft and gentle, but likely you are very stubborn once you've made up your mind.
She has a lot of fixed energy including the energy powerhouses of Sun and Mars, the mind (Mercury) and control (Saturn), so I see her as hard to change (but the Uranus makes her open to receiving non-traditional ideas, but once she has drawn her conclusion from all she has received, she would likely stick to it).

Whatever you believe or feel (deeply), you are not quite comfortable sharing them or worried about whether you should have after sharing or whether you have shared it in a suitabe way (this is in daily live and also in relationship).

This one I am not really certain, but Mercury is squaring Saturn (orb actually a bit too wide for my liking, but it is the only Mercury aspect, so probably can still feel it)

In romantic matters:

You like beauty and gentleness. Romantic, direct (more so than in your work or other matters). You might be more stubborn and independent in other areas, but in relationship you are more cooperative and interactive.

I was looking at the Libran Venus and Leo Mars, air and fire, a bit cardinal, a bit fixed.

Actually, her chart has remarkably few personal planet aspects without Moon and the angles, so based on this alone, the energy might be somewhat unfocused. With Moon, angles and house/house ruler input, could get a much better picture of the strongest energies and spheres of life influence.

yuting

For the man, my impression is his chart contracts greatly with my friend’s. He has a lot of energy working together as well as against each other even without considering the Moon and the angles. He has T-square Jup/Plu converging at Sun and a rectangle of Mars/Jup/Nep/Plu. He is probably a strong character.

General personality:

He is very practical in work, live and emotions, down-to-earth, and very determined. Thinking is somewhat rigid. He has a lot of drive and is someone who likes to take initiative.

Capricorn cluster of Sun/Moon/Mer. Regardless of birthtime, his Moon should be in Cap. Mercury is almost Aquarius, so maybe he will still have some advance/non-traditional thoughts at times, but with Mercury opposing Saturn and ruler of Aquarius (old school) being Saturn, the Saturnic energy should still be very strong. Most of his planets are in Cardinal and a fair share of fire energy, so he is likely one to take initiative, esp in traditional goals (the Saturn), so I sense he will be very career-minded (want to see the house placement).

However, he can be somewhat negative and with a bit of inner tension, eg not satisfied with his accomplishments or worried about losing what he has accomplished. He might overdo, overcommit, then drive himself too hard to achieve it.

This is what I interpret from the Jup/Plu converging at Sun T-square. This energy is re-inforced by the mystic triangle of Jup/Plu/Mar, though maybe in a more positive/supportive/balanced manner. Still the Mars/Neptune opposition will still make balancing difficult.

Like you, whatever he believes or feels deeply, he is not quite comfortable sharing them or worried about whether he should have after sharing or whether he has shared it in a suitabe way (this is in daily live and also in relationship)

He has Mercury/Saturn opposition, so this trait is probably stronger than in my friend.

In relationship:

He needs growth and new things and might get bored easily. Commitment (in traditional sense) might scare him. So key to interact with him and give him space, don’t cling too tightly.

Venus in Sagittarius and Mars in Gemini are not the most stable signs for relationships (both mutable). Sagittarius wants new experience and growth, Gemini is for light-heartedness and fleetiness.

When he's enjoying, he will be interesting to talk to, a polite and charming conversationalist. If not happy, he could be argumentative. Well, actually he might enjoy a good argument even when he is happy.

Venus sextile Mercury and mystic triangle of Jup/Plu/Mar converging at Mars in Gemini.

Nevertheless, he is careful with relationships, he does not get involved easily. If he does, he is serious and committed (just dont tell him that or ask him if he is committed, he will do so himself in his way)

Very tight Venus/Saturn trine and Moon in Capricorn.

wilsontc

Staff member
makes sense to me, Yu Ting

Yu Ting,

You said:
...here is my analysis basis (next post), starting with the gal.

Your analysis makes sense to me and it is one very likely interpretation of how these people use their energy. But that isn't a certainty: people can surprise you! If possible, talking to the people can help a lot in developing your astrological awareness.

One suggestion not related to your interepretation: when using astro.com set the time to "unknown". This way you will get a chart which has no lines drawn on it for the astrological houses. Since you don't know the time, there is no need to have astrological houses on the chart.

Great job!

Tim

Last edited:

waybread

Re: makes sense to me, Yu Ting

I would recommend you input the birth times as "unknown." I don't know about you, but my eyes tend to read those angles and house cusps as real, even when they could be way off. Also, if you post an "unknown" birth time at Astrodienst, it will give you a default noon birth time anyway. Then you have to recognize that the moon could move either way, 6 degrees, as it moves 12 degrees in the course of a day.

I would give the moon a 10-degree orb. Other astrologers do more or less. It looks like both of your friends' moons will stay in the same signs regardless, but some of the aspects could either become more intense or else disappear entirely.

Synastry is not hard to do. Just look for conjunctions, sextiles or trines amongt pairs or key planets: suns, moons, and "reverse" Mars/Venus aspects. I note that your friends' suns are sextiled. If Peony were born later in the day, their moons would be trined. Her Venus trines his Mars. His Venus squares her Mars. So most of these inter-aspects look favourable. A Venus-Mars square can be really "hot stuff" although ultimately stressful, so it's best if the couple has something going on besides physical attraction--which they seem to do. Sextiled suns are great indicators of friendship. Inter-aspects between each other's sun and moon are also really helpful.

Good luck with your interpretations, yuting!

One thing I found very helpful is to think of how signs in different elements behave. The BF, with his sun, moon, and Mercury in Capricorn, an earth sign, should have a fairly material, practical approach to life. Peony, has her sun and Mercury in a water sign (Scorpio) and probably her moon in Virgo, an earth sign. So her approach to like should be primarily feeling and emotional; though with some practicality from Virgo, as well.

As I re-read your chart interpretation, you appear to do this, as well.:smile:

With her Venus conjunct Pluto, and her Scorpio sun conjunct Uranus, Peony strikes me as being fairly intense! She may need a lot of intensity in her life. But this would seem to be matched by her BF's sun square Pluto and sun sextile Uranus.

One thing I did a lot of when I was just starting to read charts for other people, was to explain that I was just learning, and that their feedback would be really helpful to me. Most friends are happy to oblige.

yuting

Yu Ting,

You said:

Your analysis makes sense to me and it is one very likely interpretation of how these people use their energy. But that isn't a certainty: people can surprise you! If possible, talking to the people can help a lot in developing your astrological awareness.

One suggestion not related to your interepretation: when using astro.com set the time to "unknown". This way you will get a chart which has no lines drawn on it for the astrological houses. Since you don't know the time, there is no need to have astrological houses on the chart.

Great job!

Tim

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement.

yuting

Thanks for the feedback. When I talk to my friends on astrology, I usually pre-empt it with astro reading is just to help us getting better understanding/different perspective to a person/a relationship/an event. How we act on that understanding and exhibit the latent energy is up to the individuals.

On paper, my reading might sound too sure/too confident (a personal weakness I am learning to overcome). Will talk to her to let her know how to read it in perspective.

yuting

I would recommend you...

Thanks for your feedback. Will try their synastry next. But still hoping to get at least 1 birthtime before I try.

Still awaiting her feedback on my initial read. I would certainly like to hear from her what she thinks.