What suggests ability to do math

dhundhun

Traditionally, Mercury is related to mathematical skill. In sextile and trine with Saturn, one gets very good mathematical skills with in-depth understanding.

Ixaee

Mercury in Aquarius, with no hard aspects perhaps? Or Mercury in 11th? Aquarius/Uranus usually rules over Mathematics...

My Mercury is in my 4th, complimentary conjuncting Uranus (with no hard aspects to either)... and Im still pretty low-average in math...? :sad:

Last edited:

Bina

I love maths and am pretty good at it, my math teacher was encouraging me to do a degree in it..
no Mercury-Saturn aspects, nor Mercury-Uranus, not many aspects to Mercury at all, and nothing in Aquarius or 11th house in my chart.. ???

Moog

Traditionally, Mercury is related to mathematical skill. In sextile and trine with Saturn, one gets very good mathematical skills with in-depth understanding.

Saturn's involvement makes sense. Saturn and Mercury don't see each other in my chart. I might check out some famous math guys and see what was cracking in theirs.

Culpeper

Premium Member
I do mathematics and have taken university courses in the subject. In my chart Mercury in the tenth house rules the ascendant. The Sun in the tenth rules the third house and Saturn in the fourth house rules the ninth. This seems to be a good combination for intellectual matters. Now if I just had some other strong houses.

gen6k

I think each sign takes the structure of math differently. Plus I think a proper system of placements is needed in order to stabalize its fruition.

A strong Saturn aspect for organization/rigor. On the other hand Virgo will have a more laid back, seperating the wheat from the shaft view.

Gemini for its hieroglyphic counterpart. Sagittarius for its Principal/Axiomatic quality. Gemini looking at it more from a linguistic-system point of view, and sagittarius looking for its metaphysical truth.

I noticed that everyone does maths differently in the end, and many different types of astrological set-ups can contribute in different ways.

For example Feynmann a Taurus has the most physically tracking quantum mechanics technique of basically backtracking each possible location in physical space using matrices. With his ability to see and rotate space air/earth qualities.

Einstein was a Pisces with a Sagittarius moon. There you have the Otherwordly warped space-time that neptune can detect along with the overarching synthesis of Sagittarius. elegant simplified equations.

Or john nash, cancer asc, gemini sun, aries moon. Feeling your way in to subtle places by gathering information and innovating the frame of reference.

Some people can have mathematical skill, but they never develop it because it doesnt touch their hearts. They get bored in the process. Some people would be able to have mathematical skill if their water didnt cloud their decision making, etc.

Last edited:

anoop.indirapuramghazibad

Certainly combination of sun and Merc. is good for Maths, and the point is what's the distance of Sun with Merc. Degree wise, Merc. Heading for exalt position, Aspects of other planets like Jup. etc. it counts and gives results. 5th house is for Intelligence, Mercury is for Intelligence IQ etc.
Please tell me sun position degree wise and other planetary position

dhundhun

I have an unaspected Mercury in Aquarius 11th house and I looooove Maths =D My first love is Physics/Chemistry however.

Mercury is exalted in Aquarius and it has double strength being in 11th house. In addition to that it has Quincunx aspect with Moon - in absence of other aspects it is powerful aspect.

dhundhun

I love maths and am pretty good at it, my math teacher was encouraging me to do a degree in it..
no Mercury-Saturn aspects, nor Mercury-Uranus, not many aspects to Mercury at all, and nothing in Aquarius or 11th house in my chart.. ???

If you have posted your progressed chart correctly, you are taking advantage of progressions.

1. Mercury is in 3rd, in conjunction to exalted Jupiter.
2. Mercury is Sextile to Uranus and Pluto and trine to Neptune.

Also in Natal, Mercury is trine to MC and in opposition to Moon. Thereby mercury as enough power.

Last edited:

Bina

If you have posted your progressed chart correctly, you are taking advantage of progressions.

1. Mercury is in 3rd, in conjunction to exalted Jupiter.
2. Mercury is Sextile to Uranus and Pluto and trine to Neptune.

Also in Natal, Mercury is trine to MC and in opposition to Moon. Thereby mercury as enough power.

Thanks, dhundhun!
I missed Mercury trine MC. So maths ability is a question of Mercury being strong?
I read somewhere that in vedic astrology the strongest planet is the one which is furthest in any sign (it has the highest degree), in my chart that's Mercury..

Am not sure about the progressions though, I've always loved maths and been good at it -since starting school.

R4VEN

I have an unaspected Mercury and I've always enjoyed Maths, and I also taught it for many years.

My older brother however, makes me look like a mathematical dunce. He has taught it at university level and has taught gifted kids in maths, something I couldn't manage. He has Mercury trine Saturn, where Mercury rules his 9th house and is intercepted (i,e, Virgo is) in his 12th, while Saturn rules his 4th house. He is very mathematical in his speech........like, when giving options, he'll say something like: "a) we can go to the beach, or b) we can have a barbeque at the park, or c) we can stay home." True story - that's how he talks, just like a multiple choice test.

EDIT: British physicist, Stephen Hawking (and the basis of any physics is mathematics) has his Cap Mercury trining his Saturn-Uranus conjunction in Taurus. The Uranus factor suggests the inventiveness of his work.

Last edited:

PisceanPallas

Account Closed
Just to add weight to what has already been said here...

I have always been good at maths and with numbers.

I have Sun conjunct Mercury (exact) in the 9th house, trine Saturn in the fifth house.