I've been banned from astrology because of my Christianity

I made no appraisal of your person, at all.

This is a conversation about Christianity.

It is not a conversation about Christianity - although his parents are Christians, let's not be dogmatic about it. As I said to him in my previous post, everyone has a path to choose.

Tessie

Banned
It is not a conversation about Christianity - although his parents are Christians, let's not be dogmatic about it. As I said to him in my previous post, everyone has a path to choose.
I can't decide if you being deeply ironic or unwittingly encapsulating the exact phenomenon you are against. The OP is a Christian who has chosen the topic of conversation.

Tessie

Banned
And here I thought this was a site about astrology.

This is the Chat area of the forum, "For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you." The OP is a Christian and has started a discussion on whether astrology is idolatry in Christianity. If members do not have anything to say about this topic, specifically, that is also respectful towards the OP's spiritual persuasion, they are free to leave the conversation.

JUPITERASC

This is the Chat area of the forum,
"For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you."
The OP is a Christian and has started a discussion on whether astrology is idolatry in Christianity.
The OP is a young child living at home
whose father banned them from astrology
because the father is Christian and raised the child as a Christian
the child is obviously questioning why astrology is apparently supposedly not Christian
and that is unsurprising that the child is questioning the parent
because there is in fact a popular astrological book named CHRISTIAN ASTROLOGY by William Lilly :smile:

If members do not have anything to say about this topic, specifically,
that is also respectful towards the OP's spiritual persuasion,
they are free to leave the conversation.

this thread IS NOT about astrological chart interpretation
and is indeed a CHAT

i.e.
a DISCUSSION

on the topic of the OP's fathers spiritual persuasion
as directly linked to the fathers religious beliefs
and
those beliefs are being questioned by the child
and that is fine

hence the discussion
so
THEN
obviously since this is a discussion
it is reasonable for the OP to be provided with as many perspectives on the matter
as members are interested to provide

furthermore chat is the place for amicable discussion on astrology
as well as on Christian beliefs

and is definitely not the place for anti-astrology proclamations
citing the bible as an undisputed authority
when in fact this is not a strictly biblical solely Christian forum

if a member has a belief in biblical anti-astrology proclamations culled from biblical sources
then since this is an astrological forum
it is an attack on the forum to attack astrology

JUPITERASC

God made the stars but,
when discussing astrology from a Christian perspective,
the stars are not the bottom line.
A Christian perspective is not the sole perspective :smile:
It's like, God made also man and woman,
but the Bible says never to put man's counsel above His.
According to Christianity, God is a Spirit.
He is eternally bigger than astrology.
that's fine as one of many personal beliefs
and
there are multiple personal beliefs
and obviously
not all personal beliefs include belief in a god
in fact
every individual is entitled to their personal belief
whether or not that belief includes a god or not
Yet an argument which reduces conceptually His Will for All to astrology is the definition of idolatry.
idolatory is defined as the worship of an idol
or a physical object
as a representation of a god.

In all the Abrahamic religions idolatry is strongly forbidden
although views as to what constitutes idolatry
differ
within and between them

therefore
since there is no consensus regarding what consitutes idolatry

clearly then
idolatory is a matter of opinion
and everyone is entitled to their opinion

Dubyadude1986

This thread illustrates perfectly why people are so tremendously afraid of religion.

Christianity is a religion. Fact. Like it, don't like it, reword it, intellectualize it to death, whatever needs to be done. But it is a religion.

abisert

Hiya guys. I'm back again.

I love how people are still trying to help me out. But from what I got, it seems to be something that I have to think for myself, but I hope it gets figured out soon.

It seems that I barely have any time for astrology, so it's really a occasional thing.

What if I still want to do it? Is it compatible with Christianity? Is there any active Christians on here?

JUPITERASC

I love how people are still trying to help me out.
But from what I got, it seems to be something that I have to think for myself, but I hope it gets figured out soon.
Exactly
You may be interested to study a FREE online pdf CHRISTIAN ASTROLOGY by William Lilly
http://www.astrologiamedieval.com/tabelas/William_Lilly_Christian_Astrology.pdf

It seems that I barely have any time for astrology, so it's really a occasional thing.

What if I still want to do it? Is it compatible with Christianity?
Is there any active Christians on here?
Clearly that is a matter of opinion
and everyone is entitled to their opinion
:smile:

Oddity

If you look at astrological history, it is replete with Jews, Muslims, and - Christians. Lilly, Bonatti, Nicky Culpeper were all Christians, and their works are easily available - quite a bit online.

I have a hard time seeing it as idolatry as it does not involve worshipping the stars.

But if your dad sees it as witchcraft, he sees it as witchcraft, and is probably not amenable to persuasion. So it depends on how much you want to study astrology, and how much you want to obey him, and what the consequences of disobedience would be.

CapAquaPis

I thought churches ban people for believing in astrology (LOL), because they feel it's against their religion. Astrology is criticized in religion, like Christianity, because of the use of planets or celestial bodies to foretell the future and being about fate, opposes Christianity's reliance on God and their belief of free will determines your course in life. I find the more religious people are, they're more likely to fear astrology as well oppose the practice as something sacrilegious.

Tessie

Banned

I love how people are still trying to help me out. But from what I got, it seems to be something that I have to think for myself, but I hope it gets figured out soon.

What if I still want to do it? Is it compatible with Christianity? Is there any active Christians on here?

You might consider showing this discussion to your daddy so that you can talk about it. I understand he is against astrology but, if you are not, I am sure he'd rather know your remaining concerns. It is biblical to discuss your questions with people you trust spiritually.

Kscar

All I can offer, is follow your heart, if you feel a pull from Astrology go for it, develop your skills, in the Bible it speaks of god himself said to seek him out, and through knowledge, self knowledge you will not only find self truth, but maybe even more then that.

Just follow your own path, dont walk in someones shadow. Its slowly tears away at the heart and soul.

Read your holy book(Man has tampered with it, translations tends to omit or lose meaning.. ect), find what sings, it is possible to have faith and 'knowledge seeking' in the same mind.

Keep faith.

Don't mind my rambling.

Last edited:

Kscar

It's compatible if you allow it to be. You are your own individual. My younger years were spent between multiple faiths, I have adopted not one single, but grains of song from each. And Practice Astrology.

A open mind and heart are all that is required, maybe toss some courage in the mix as well. Stand tall in those shoes of yours.When your drawn to something, even in the slightest, there is a reason.

david starling

I can't decide if you being deeply ironic or unwittingly encapsulating the exact phenomenon you are against. The OP is a Christian who has chosen the topic of conversation.

The OP is a member of a Christian sect which considers Astrology the work of the Devil. Not all those of the religion known as "Christianity" have such a pejorative view of Astrology.

Hey Tessie, I'm not being unwittingly ironic, I'm just giving the op a broadened perspective. I guess because you are so religious, you perceived it to be about Christianity or even religion. From my perspective, I did not see religion as the forefront of the topic, but rather a young mind who is curious enough to learn about things about astrology, but is hindered by his age and restrictions from parents. Giving him solely a Christian perspective would be very limiting and not at all helpful for someone with a curious, independent mind. I believe you have the best intentions but when you subscribe to a religion or God so much, you can become deeply dogmatic about it, and I was here to balance that. I pointed out to him that when he gets older, he can have any perspective he wants.

Tessie

Banned
The OP is a member of a Christian sect which considers Astrology the work of the Devil. Not all those of the religion known as "Christianity" have such a pejorative view of Astrology.

It may surprise you to learn that Christianity is defined by the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.