How important is vertex in a chart?

mdinaz

That's not what the vertex does. The sign it is in is not terribly important, more important is its aspects as the vertex changes signs every three hours and depending where you are born is typically in the 5th-8th houses.

sworm09

Does anyone feel they express themselves like the sign of their vertex?

From what I know the Vertex is mainly used in relationship astrology. If you're reading your own natal chart I don't think it's absolutely necessary to include.

mdinaz

From what I know the Vertex is mainly used in relationship astrology. If you're reading your own natal chart I don't think it's absolutely necessary to include.

It's very important in the natal as well as in relationship astrology. The sign however is not very important.

anne3

Banned
I was not aware that it changed signs every three hours. Mine is in the 7th house in Virgo. So, it kind of like an unaspected planet in that its purpose is highlighted with aspects? I guess if vertex is highly aspected then it could play a major role?

mdinaz

I have written a very great deal about the Vertex axis here: http://aliceportman.com/category/vertex-axis/.

I find it a very powerful factor in the natal chart and works like an angle. This sign itself describes the doorway to higher awareness - I have written quite a lot about this on the Solar Fire v8 and v9 interpretation files.

Alice

I haven't found the sign itself to be nearly of importance as its house position and aspects. What can you tell us briefly about how you feel the sign is important? I do think it is a very important doorway to the Universe and that our manifestations emanate from here, and how those manifestations are created and influenced are based on a number of factors, particularly by aspect to certain objects. However I personally haven't seen as much influence by sign. I guess that's hard for me to see as my Vertex is trine my Venus but the Vertex is also in Libra, and my Vesta (where I believe is the input of desires) is in Taurus and quincunx my Vertex, both very closely. Interested in your ideas.

Horus

I have written a very great deal about the Vertex axis here: http://aliceportman.com/category/vertex-axis/.

I find it a very powerful factor in the natal chart and works like an angle. This sign itself describes the doorway to higher awareness - I have written quite a lot about this on the Solar Fire v8 and v9 interpretation files.

Alice

Thanks for the link, Alice. Some of what you wrote matches info I've read elsewhere about the "electric axis", and that the Vertex is often referred to as "Destiny's Gate" , a fated hotspot which gets activated by transits and synastry. I always assumed that this was because the Vertex is always placed on the fate side of the gravity axis.

What I've never been totally clear about is the meaning and role of the Anti-Vertex. If the angle truly has polarity then can we infer that it is the point of "freewill and self-determination"?

Mine is in Aquarius in the 2nd house, square my Sun, closely sextile my Moon and trine my Mars and Uranus. So what does this mean natally/internally, without transit activation?

Last edited:

anne3

Banned
Interesting article, Alice. I don't have any planets conjunct my vertex, but it is in Virgo in the 7th house but I am not very successful in relationships. I do have Saturn alone in my 7th house but it is not within the orb for it to be a conjunction.

What is your opinion on vertex in virgo in the 7th house?

Horus

Interesting article, Alice. I don't have any planets conjunct my vertex, but it is in Virgo in the 7th house but I am not very successful in relationships. I do have Saturn alone in my 7th house but it is not within the orb for it to be a conjunction.

Saturn can do that as the Lord of Karma, lessons, tests ,fears and blockages in this house until the relationship karma is healed or balanced out, and it will override any other influence to the contrary.