What is the differentiation between vedic astrology and western astrology?

Northstar10

I'd like to know what people think about the difference between the two, regarding both their origins and their purpose. It's kind of weird to have two different time systems of the same zodiac, though as a Taurus by Western tradition, I guess it gives me something to switch to when I fall out of love (to Aries). The vedic astrologer who did my chart explained to me that vedic astrology is correct, but then the Christians took over and changed everything.

Ryoin

Banned
western analyses your look, personality, likes dislikes, way of life etc

but vedic is accurate in predicting even timings of events

I, for one, think that's a very poor way to look at western astrology. :(

Northstar10

Is 'vedic' rooted in the word 'veda', like the Vedas, the holy books that teach about God being the self? It seems that Eastern spirituality teaches 'God is within' while Western spirituality teaches 'God is without'. It seems to me that Western astrology is worldly astrology, while vedic astrology is spiritual astrology.

Last edited:

Virinchi

the term vedic astrology, hinduism etc are given by westeners to distinguish their methods and religions from already existing customs in india.
infact india was also named by british

dhundhun

Few key differences:

1. Vedic zodiac is takes characteristic from stars as background, western zodiac takes characteristic from earth's ecliptic around Sun.

2. Vedic direction is dasa system, based on position of moon, western direction is based on progression.

3. Vedic analysis is yogas, based on planets in whole sign and their relationships, western analysis is based on planetary aspects.
~ there by a debilitated planet in certain conditions in Vedic system can act as if it is exalted (neech bhang raaj yoga).
===

KP System in Indian Astrology is blending of both systems, using Vedic zodiac, but taking advantage of Placidus house system. Sometimes this consolidation gives wonderful results.

I hope, I have worded properly to explain.

Virinchi

right !
total vedic or total western could never give satisfactory answers
so the blend of both , K.P is preferred and followed by me

alternativebeliefs

the term vedic astrology, hinduism etc are given by westeners to distinguish their methods and religions from already existing customs in india.
infact india was also named by british

Virinchi is quite correct.

The correct term for Vedic astrology is 'Jyothish', which means the science of light. Jyothish is believed to have been conceived by an ancient Hindu sage through divine intervention.