Ian Curtis rising? Remember Joy Division?

Hieronimuss

OMG, how bad is it too guess the rising sign by using the fact that my idol committed suicide? (with 2 grand trines! Didn't Cobain have a GT as well) I still miss him... So...Scorpio? It would put Venus in 8th and Sun Uranus and Mercury pretty high in the chart. Any other JD fans here?

iancurtis.gif

-----------------------

http://www.astroknowlogy.com/questions/amy-winehouse-and-ian-curtis-joy-division

ScorpioCrow

Strange...I too have Moon in Scorpio (ouch!) and a Sun-Mercury conjunction that's too close for comfort ("combust" in some texts).
Astrology-personality link? I am an INFP according to Myers-Briggs, and he was probably one, too.
Check out famous INFPs' charts - I just noticed a pattern of Moon in feminine signs and Sun in either Water and/or Mutable sign.
However my mother is a Virgo with Moon in Taurus and is an ESTJ (complete opposite of INFP) so that can't apply to all...

R4VEN

I'm watching the doco, "Joy Division" as I write this, and had asked myself the same question.

I'm for Scorpio Rising. Images of him looking at the camera show very, very intense eyes. I have done a chart for him using a birth time of 4pm, which gives him an Ascendant of 25 and a half deg in Scorpio, but more importantly, Sun, Mercury and Uranus all in the 8th house. This birth time - or thereabouts - also places his natal Saturn in his first house, very close to his Asc.

I know nothing about his early life - birth circumstances, relationships with parents - and all of that would help flesh out his chart.

Iced8Ace

Yes, there is not much known about Ian Curtis. I am not surprised to see his Saturn trine mercury, the introspection of his lyrics are emotionally superb. He was very good at grounding his emotional energy, I would suggest 6th house moon conjunct Neptune.

LyP

I'm watching the doco, "Joy Division" as I write this, and had asked myself the same question.

I'm for Scorpio Rising. Images of him looking at the camera show very, very intense eyes. I have done a chart for him using a birth time of 4pm, which gives him an Ascendant of 25 and a half deg in Scorpio, but more importantly, Sun, Mercury and Uranus all in the 8th house. This birth time - or thereabouts - also places his natal Saturn in his first house, very close to his Asc.

I know nothing about his early life - birth circumstances, relationships with parents - and all of that would help flesh out his chart.

i think that is scorpio rising also
i'm sure
really :biggrin:

Lunar Pisces

I have a pretty intense reaction to Scorp risings that I never get from Curtis. I'm very airy, and he has a definite air vibe about him, and I like him for a late Libra Rising, with Neptune/Moon near his ASC.

Somewhere else on the forum in a thread about Neptune conjunct AC in the natal chart, I recently posted my brother's chart and talked about his issues, including having epilepsy and being pretty delusional and deceitful. Like Curtis my brother has Neptune squaring a Sun/Mercury conjunction (I can confirm my brother's birthtime, so I can confirm he has his Neptune conjunct his ASC and his Merc/Sun conjunct in the 9th house). There are many, rather unsettling commonalities between my brother and what i know of Curtis (that I can hold to be reasonably true).

Although Curtis has been thoroughly romanticized over the years (I'm old enough to remember when he died), the blunt truth is Curtis was...problematic and probably someone whose problems you wouldn't like to have in your life. Like my brother, he exhibited serious mental health problems along with his epilepsy that included depression, mania and narcissism. He cheated on his wife, lied to his bandmates, blamed others for his flaws, hid his symptoms, and had a creepy obsession with Nazism along with everything else. My brother has many of these same tendencies.

Neptune/moon near Curtis' ASC would easily account for his "intense" eyes--as a Pisces moon myself, I find his eyes very neptunian/Piscean/oceanic rather than dark and Scorpionic (my brother OTOH is a Scorp rising, with blue eyes, and there's a big dif in appearance--Curtis lookedc like he's about to drift off in a trance, while my brother usually looks like he might stab you if you say the wrong thing).

A late Libra rising would put his Sun near his MC, which I think suits him very well as a frontman and someone who was pretty dramatic in his public life. Depending on what time you choose, it would be in either the late 9th or early 10th. I like him for a late 9th house Sun, like my brother. Having a brother who is also an epileptic and a 9th house Sun, I see a lot a parallels here. Curtis, like my brother, had a well-known narcissist streak about him that appears related to their epilepsy, a rather Jupiterian tendency toward excess and grandiose thinking that seemed. according to his bandmates, to be at its highest after he had had a seizure.

This also puts Curtis' Uranus predominantly in his 10th which I think hits one particular nail on the head: how quickly and abruptly his career came and went, yet his influence has been extraordinary, literally reshaping punk/post-punk music and just about everything that has came after since.

Last edited:

craft94

OMG, how bad is it too guess the rising sign by using the fact that my idol committed suicide? (with 2 grand trines! Didn't Cobain have a GT as well) I still miss him... So...Scorpio? It would put Venus in 8th and Sun Uranus and Mercury pretty high in the chart. Any other JD fans here?

iancurtis.gif

-----------------------

http://www.astroknowlogy.com/questions/amy-winehouse-and-ian-curtis-joy-division

Yes I'm a Joy Division fan too. But I'm a bit wary of guessing the ascendant signs of (especially long-deceased) celebrities, especially when the ascendant sign seems to always be Scorpio. He's already got a very watery chart so that could easily be what we're picking up.

I could see him as a Leo Rising with Uranus on the ASC (which would account for his unique stage presence) and Sun, Mercury and possibly Venus all in the 12th house (signifying some kind of illness that kept his true self hidden from others). But again, this is just useless guessing

Last edited:

craft94

Yes, there is not much known about Ian Curtis. I am not surprised to see his Saturn trine mercury, the introspection of his lyrics are emotionally superb. He was very good at grounding his emotional energy, I would suggest 6th house moon conjunct Neptune.

Yes, a 6th house Moon conjunct Neptune would also make sense and could account for his mysterious illness

ThisIsMe

Might be going against the grain here but I think he could be Virgo rising. His whole dark mystique thing wasn't very accurate to reality. Apparently he was just a family man (Cancer, hello) that had his troubles. He was way more of an ''every man'' than you'd imagine. The problem is he had the health problem which robbed him of his normalcy. It wasn't really his natural personality. It took him to dark places. Also, depending on his time of birth, his moon might or might not be in Scorpio.

I could see Pisces. He has mutable energy imo.