Sect

Marcoilrosso

If you have in mind any particular example
that you have found
of Sect being invalid for Nativities
then that would be useful
if you would post the chart
:smile:

Not at all. I had found instead, a pdf which interpretation of nativities included sect. I would be glad to have some of examples someone in the forum may give.

Last edited:

Alkaid

Yeah, there is some importance to it. But not as much as many modern traditionalists give it, I think being oriental or occidental of the sun is almost as important as sect and that particular technique hasn't enjoyed the same revival as sect. But cie la vie.

This is how I look at sect:

Essential dignity is the planets character.
House placement is the main area where the planet manifests in the natives life.
Sect is about how well that particular planet aligns with the life of the native.

Marcoilrosso

Yeah, there is some importance to it. But not as much as many modern traditionalists give it, I think being oriental or occidental of the sun is almost as important as sect and that particular technique hasn't enjoyed the same revival as sect. But cie la vie.

This is how I look at sect:

Essential dignity is the planets character.
House placement is the main area where the planet manifests in the natives life.
Sect is about how well that particular planet aligns with the life of the native.

This may be interesting: but it is the umpteenth point of astrology where you find things a certain vagueness.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

This may be interesting:
but it is the umpteenth point of astrology where you find things a certain vagueness.
On the contrary, sect - when studied and understood provides clarification :smile:
needs work on the part of the individual to read and practice for himself/herself

AJ Astrology

Hi all,

Can someone explain the concept of sect using a chart? My SolarFire encyclopedia doesn't mention sect, but it does mention that "Ex-conditione" is a term coined by US Astrologer Robert Hand to describe a planet that is completely out of sect. What does it mean to be "completely out of sect?" I've now seen three charts with a planet that is "completely out of sect" one here http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=699759&postcount=9 and one on the thread about John Wayne Gacy, where Sun is completely out of sect, and in my own chart where Mercury and Mars are completely out of sect, my Sun is "in Hayz" and I don't understand that, either.

How does that affect interpretation?

Attachments

• AJ Birth.jpg
    AJ Birth.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Hi all,

Can someone explain the concept of sect using a chart?
My SolarFire encyclopedia doesn't mention sect,
but it does mention that "Ex-conditione" is a term coined by US Astrologer Robert Hand to describe a planet that is completely out of sect.
What does it mean to be "completely out of sect?"
I've now seen three charts with a planet that is "completely out of sect" one here http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=699759&postcount=9
and one on the thread about John Wayne Gacy,
where Sun is completely out of sect, and in my own chart where Mercury and Mars are completely out of sect,
my Sun is "in Hayz" and I don't understand that, either.

How does that affect interpretation?

HOW DOES ONE DETERMINE SECT? discussion with examples :smile:
at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94683

The chief way to determine sect is to find out whether your chart is diurnal or nocturnal.
This is determined based on if the sun is above or below the horizon.
above - diurnal, below - nocturnal.

There are rejoicing conditions that also fall under sect.
One is which planet a hemisphere is in.
Nocturnal planets prefer to be away from the hemisphere of the sun
while diurnal planets prefer to be with the sun.

The second is what sign the planet is in.
Nocturnal planets prefer feminine signs while Diurnal planets prefer masculine signs.
The Arabs seem to have bend this with Mars stating that Mars likes masculine signs better
but there is controversy over this point with some thinking that this was a translation error.

When a planet meets all the criteria for sect it is said to be in Hayz.
e.g Nocturnal Chart - Taurus Rising. Moon in Pisces in the 11th is Hayz.

The opposite is called Ex-conditione when a planet is completety out-of-sect.

e.g. Nocturnal Chart - Taurus Rising. Saturn in Capricorn conjunct the MC is ex-conditione.

As you have figured out with GG by now, a planet can be in hayz and still in detriment or it can be in ex-conditione and still dignified.
Astrology is never cut-and-dried.

AJ Astrology

HOW DOES ONE DETERMINE SECT? discussion with examples :smile:
at

Hi JUPITERASC,

The software I use (SolarFire) is helpful in determining sect. I was looking for information on how to interpret planets that are out of sect. An out of sect Mars would have to be interpreted differently than an in sect Mars, or not? I'm reading Rhetorius the Egyptian and he addresses sect on page 4, but doesn't discuss how it affects interpretation.

AJ Astrology

Much useful information a couple of threads down:

Hi Oddity,

I already wasted 20 minutes of my life reading that lame thread. What I'm hearing is no one knows how to interpret planets that are completely out of sect. Here's another chart where Venus and Mercury are completely out of sect and peregrine. Can anyone add to the delineation?

Does being completely out of sect add to the strength of the Mercury/Venus conjunction in H10? What does it do?

JUPITERASC

Hi JUPITERASC,

The software I use (SolarFire) is helpful in determining sect.
I was looking for information on how to interpret planets that are out of sect.
An out of sect Mars would have to be interpreted differently than an in sect Mars, or not?
I'm reading Rhetorius the Egyptian and he addresses sect on page 4,
but doesn't discuss how it affects interpretation.
Check out Vettius Valens THE ANTHOLOGY http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/vettius valens entire.pdf :smile:

tsmall

Premium Member
Hi Oddity,

I already wasted 20 minutes of my life reading that lame thread. What I'm hearing is no one knows how to interpret planets that are completely out of sect.

In that case you should probably read the thread again. :whistling:

Here's another chart where Venus and Mercury are completely out of sect and peregrine. Can anyone add to the delineation?

Sure. Let me spoon feed it to you? This is an event chart for what should be compared to the mundane chart for Turkey, but even without the Turkish natal chart for the current government, and minus the last ingress and/or solar return charts, what do we have? Though your chart image is a bit whacked....are you attempting a whole signs chart?

Start with the ASC, which appears to be at 24* Scorpio, and Mars in domicile as the OOS malific conjunct the ascendant. The nature of Mars is to sever and to separate.

You have the Moon (the People) in Sag in the second house, along with a retrograde Saturn, also out of sect, and their ruler Jupiter in detriment in the 11th house of hopes and wishes, but also the house of the Arm of the Government. Already we know this is about the people wanting more money.

Does being completely out of sect add to the strength of the Mercury/Venus conjunction in H10? What does it do?

The problem here is that they aren't in H10, they are in H9, and cadent. H10 is where the MC is, at literally 0* of Virgo, just having changed signs.

Listen, planets that are out of sect are doing one of three things. Doing something that is against their nature, (not so much in this case based on sign position), doing something they wouldn't normally do (usually this has to do with being in signs, quadrants or degrees that are contrary to their nature...peregrine, if you will) or doing something that is completely inappropriate to the situation.

Given THAT information, can you go back and read your own chart?

[/QUOTE]

AJ Astrology

Though your chart image is a bit whacked....are you attempting a whole signs chart?

Hi tsmall,

Yes, the chart is Whole Sign. It's an event chart just as valid as any other chart.

Start with the ASC, which appears to be at 24* Scorpio, and Mars in domicile as the OOS malific conjunct the ascendant. The nature of Mars is to sever and to separate.

You have the Moon (the People) in Sag in the second house, along with a retrograde Saturn, also out of sect, and their ruler Jupiter in detriment in the 11th house of hopes and wishes, but also the house of the Arm of the Government. Already we know this is about the people wanting more money.

I already explained why the coup failed on another thread. According to Bonatti, the coup plotters failed to make Venus and Mercury weak. It would have been better if both were retrograde and cadent in H6 or H12, or in H1. I was only looking for more insight on Venus and Mercury who are completely out of sect, because on page 114 of Introduction To Astrology: Abu Ma'shar & Al-Qabisi it says A planet in the opposite of domain is just like one who is [involved in something] inappropriate to himself.

Listen, planets that are out of sect are doing one of three things. Doing something that is against their nature, (not so much in this case based on sign position), doing something they wouldn't normally do (usually this has to do with being in signs, quadrants or degrees that are contrary to their nature...peregrine, if you will) or doing something that is completely inappropriate to the situation.

Thanks for the clarification. I hope you weren't injured providing it. It would have been nice if someone had said that in the first place. President Ergodan asked supporters (Mercury H8) to take to the streets during the coup. People running into the streets filled with soldiers seems like an inappropriate thing to do.

tsmall

Premium Member
Thanks for the clarification. I hope you weren't injured providing it.

I wasn't injured in the least. You are very welcome that I provided an explanation that took me years to figure out.

It would have been nice if someone had said that in the first place.

I know, right?!? It would be awesome if people provided, for free, a synthesis of their own learning from the texts for all to read, so that not everyone has to do the work to get the understanding.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I wasn't injured in the least.
You are very welcome that I provided an explanation that took me years to figure out.

I know, right?!? It would be awesome if people provided, for free,
a synthesis of their own learning from the texts for all to read,
so that not everyone has to do the work to get the understanding.
Well said :smile:
if the receipient of the free information
had posted a civil response

to the generous provider of the free information that took years to work out
that would have cost the recipient of free information nothing

an increasing culture of entitlement on the part of those seeking free information
fails to acknowledge the price paid by the provider

Last edited: