Preferred house systems

The Ram

My favorite is Placidus. I find it to be the most accurate for my chart and others. My next favorite would be equal signs, while not as accurate as placidus overall, I find some of the equal signs descriptions fit me better.

Last edited:

Zarathu

Account Closed
I used to use Polpyhry. But when I started using Astrodynes, I switched to Placidus, since the statistical norming of the system using 30,000 charts was done with Placidus.

dr. farr

I used Placidus for over 3 decades; then (late 1990's) when whole sign was rediscovered (with the translation of oldtime Hellenist literature) I tested it out and found that-for me-it provided clearer, often more accurate delineative results than I had obtained with Placidus-and I have been using whole sign exclusively, ever since...

Erulastiel14

I prefer Placidus. It's the easiest to read and the most accurate. But when I'm looking at a charted with intercepted houses I alternate between Placidus and Equal, to get the full picture but still be able to read the chart accurately.

mdinaz

I started with Koch but over time I found my transits seemed to correlate better with Placidus. If I have absolutely no clue about birth time (such as with researching a historical personality) I may use whole sign. I may also use whole sign for people born at extreme latitudes but no longer live at those latitudes. For the very few times I do horary, I'll use Regiomontanus just for traditional reasons.

waybread

Usually I use Placidus, but there are exceptions.

1. A high-latitude birth can give you very skewed houses at certain times of year. This is really problematic for people born in Scandinavia, the Baltic states, Russian, Alaska, northern Canada, and even Scotland. In such cases I will often look at a range of house systems for the person, notable equal house and whole signs to see if it makes a difference. Then I kind of interpolate. I would also place much less emphasis on houses than on aspects and signs. I'll post an example below of a Finnish prime-minister.

We still have a problem even with equal house or whole signs, however, because you can wind up with the MC in the 12th house!

2. If a birth time isn't known exactly, I would probably use whole signs, because degrees on house cusps are going to be meaningless. You would still need to fasten the ascendant and MC within particular signs. But if someone says, "I was born around 1:30" and can't narrow it further, yet 1:30 puts the ascendant firmly in the middle of a sign, then whole signs make sense. You still need to treat the ascendant and MC degrees with caution.

3. If I want to spend time with a chart, I would probably look at several house systems. Particularly for "cuspy" planets, you can get a better read on whether they stay in the same house, or move around. If it's the latter, I would treat their house position with circumspection. If they stay in the same house, you've probably got something solid.

4. To me, quadrant house systems are far more natural than whole signs, yet whole signs can give a whole lot of supplementary information. I think of Placidus as giving a frontal portrait of the person, yet whole signs (or some other system) as analogous to a profile or oblique picture. Both show a "true" picture of the person, but from a different perspective.

Attachments

• ahti_karjalainen Placidus.gif
    ahti_karjalainen Placidus.gif
    44.1 KB · Views: 24
  • ahti_karjalainen equal house.gif
    ahti_karjalainen equal house.gif
    43.8 KB · Views: 24

socrates

I used Placidus for over 3 decades; then (late 1990's) when whole sign was rediscovered (with the translation of oldtime Hellenist literature) I tested it out and found that-for me-it provided clearer, often more accurate delineative results than I had obtained with Placidus-and I have been using whole sign exclusively, ever since...
But Hand is wrong regarding places showing topics and MC being just a point.
Valens says that MC in 9th house has double duty,being place of action and status(10th) and religion. So, how can the MC be not topical?,
Something is wrong with the ancient system

socrates

another thing.The MC is the MC for hose living at equator.Thats why you see he Sun in the south at Noon
For any person the point overhead is the MC,that is,the nonagesimal

But I cant help noticing that Finnprime minister has Júpiter at MC in 12th house.Odd
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahti_Karjalainen

but the lord of Ng Mercury is in 2nd.He was a Banker.See the wiki link
Neptune square Júpiter for alchoolism

Last edited:

poyi

Premium Member
another thing.The MC is the MC for hose living at equator.Thats why you see he Sun in the south at Noon
For any person the point overhead is the MC,that is,the nonagesimal

But I cant help noticing that Finnprime minister has Júpiter at MC in 12th house.Odd
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahti_Karjalainen

but the lord of Ng Mercury is in 2nd.He was a Banker.See the wiki link

I found using Placidus but counting the signs as extremely useful way of observing mutiple perspectives in the chart. In his case, his career MC was directly in the 12th sign as 12th house in whole sign system that will fit the condition of dealing with large organization in the sign of Scorpio dealing with other people resources in the nature of behind the scene. Scorpio is a fixed sign representing little change to the nature of his career, and about fixed resources perhaps.

At the same time, his drinking problem his self undoing, 12th house the house of Pisces and alcohol or various addiction directly affected his career, public image MC, also named as Tankero a Mysterious Large fictional animal that is also ruled by 12th house.

My conclusion boring as it may sound, both Placidus and Whole Sign work very well but even better when you use them together. To me personally, no need to argue which is better.

Last edited:

socrates

I found using Placidus but counting the signs as extremely useful way of observing mutiple perspectives in the chart. In his case, his career MC was directly in the 12th sign as 12th house in whole sign system that will fit the condition of dealing with large organization in the sign of Scorpio dealing with other people resources in the nature of behind the scene. Scorpio is a fixed sign representing little change to the nature of his career, and about fixed resources perhaps.

At the same time, his drinking problem his self undoing, 12th house the house of Pisces and alcohol or various addiction directly affected his career, public image MC, also named as Tankero a Mysterious Large fictional animal that is also ruled by 12th house.

My conclusion boring as it may sound, both Placidus and Whole Sign work very well but even better when you use them together. To me personally, no need to argue which is better.

good point,but MC seems to do well without placidus too.His Moon rising ruling 8th could explai that too
another interesting point,by Morin, my saturn in aquarius in 9th seems to explain my aversion to siblings and need to move away from them. Saturn in siblings house would be in Leo,its fall. Each house is influenced by the opposite. Rulers of 3rd house dont seem to explain that

poyi

Premium Member
good point,but MC seems to do well without placidus too.His Moon rising ruling 8th could explai that too
another interesting point,by Morin, my saturn in aquarius in 9th seems to explain my aversion to siblings and need to move away from them. Saturn in siblings house would be in Leo,its fall. Each house is influenced by the opposite. Rulers of 3rd house dont seem to explain that

You can view the Moon in Sagittarius as receiving Jupiter in Scorpio as her fall, while Jupiter is receiving Moon as his domicile. His person rise and fall within the interaction of the Jupiter and Moon mutual reception in the mix of rulership domicile and fallen dignity while Moon is only in Face in Sagittarius anyway. The Intercepted Cancer as the 8th sign within the 7th house, could be seen as the following of his life story.

Urho Kekkonen took Karjalainen as his secretary in his first government in 1950. This was the start of co-operation between Kekkonen and Karjalainen, which continued as good and tight for over 20 years. In the 1960s and early 1970s Karjalainen was generally seen as Kekkonen's future successor. The co-operation was broken up when Kekkonen disbanded Karjalainen's second government in 1971. Karjalainen sought to be the presidential candidate for the Centre Party in 1981, but lost to Johannes Virolainen. In January 1982, Mauno Koivisto was elected as President of Finland after Kekkonen resigned.
Moon is by whole sign in the 1st house, ruling over the 8th sign, by Placidus, within the 12th house close to AC, but ruling the 7th house of open enemy while in the mix of unseen enemy, the connection of 12th, 8th the secret enemy, disappointment, abandonment of the 12th house, and the fear and death of this actual outer layer image 1st was due to the failed relationship with his long term political partner Kekkonen who turned to be his open enemy that elected his secret enemy.

poyi

Premium Member
I would like to talk about his death from Pancreatic Cancer.

Placidus 8th contains Leo, Virgo intercepted, Libra. 8th house began at 26 degrees 42 Leo. From 25-28 disease degrees of Leo, in medical astrology, poisoning, drowning, asphyxiation. Virgo is the sign ruler of Pancreas. Jupiter is the planetary ruler of Pancreas and Liver.

Leo>Sun in Aquarius Detriment>Saturn in Libra exalted in 8th and Rx>Jupiter in Scorpio Peregrine at 18 degrees>final dispositor Mars in Aries 2nd house conjunct Chiron Mars in received Detriment from Saturn in Libra from 8th house

Died on the 7th September 1990

astro_52gw_342_ahti_karjalainen_adb_199097.5071.54406.jpgastro_245gw_342_ahti_karjalainen_adb_199097.5641.1686.jpg

Progressed Venus partile conjunction also parallel to natal South node, contra parallel to Venus's fall as Virgo North node the sign ruler of Pancreas, Venus in the intercepted sign of Pisces although as the exaltation of Venus while transit NN is in the progressed 8th sign which was in the Placidus progression's 12th house. You can see that Progressed Venus and SN sextile Moon in Taurus exalted in 12th house but receiving fall from Jupiter Rx in Scorpio from 6th.

Although the aspect between Venus in Pisces, Moon in Taurus, and Jupiter Rx in Scorpio were loose contact, but through declination, Moon was at exact 1 degree to perfect contra parallel to Jupiter Rx in Scorpio, while Venus was less than 22 mins perfection to parallel South node. Progressed Pluto interestingly 11 mins perfection parallel to Progressed Part of Fortune.

Anti vertex less than 26 mins perfection to parallel Chiron.

poyi

Premium Member
On the day of death, Cancer as this progressed Ascendant, Moon in Taurus in placidus 12th in the 11th sign (grief shared by a group of people?). Moon in Taurus>Venus in Pisces/SN>Jupiter in Scorpio>Mars in Gemini>Mercury in Taurus>Venus in Pisces/SN.

Ascendant of the progressed chart, ended it chain rulership with Venus in Pisces partile conjunction with SN placed in 9th sign (12th and 9th connection the despair and religion? religious ceremony for his funeral at the grave?) ruled by the Jupiter in Scorpio Rx placed in 6th 16 degrees 09 Peregrine.

Also Part of Fortune, the physical body the well being of it in Cancer placed in 4th the End of Life placed in 1st sign (Ending of the physical life, the end of story of the original conception Spirit>Sun into Flesh>Moon reflection of the Spirit?) perfected square to Progressed Sun in Exaltation within the intercepted Aries in 12th, yet Sun was unaspected (the essence of life disconnected?).

The Progressed 8th ruled by Saturn in Libra Rx back to Venus in Pisces at SN>Juptier>etc