Significations of Venus in Trad

Rebel Uranian

We all know that Venus is the author of mirth and jollity. We know that it is either refined or a reckless slob. We know that it is artistic, even though many artistic people are angsty and depressed and not mirthful or jolly, and many are not gamblers either. There is a phrase "starving artists," which is literal, but Venus is supposed to be fat and overeat. Venus totally confuses me. Can anyone explain to me the whys behind Venus in trad?

Claire19

We all know that Venus is the author of mirth and jollity. We know that it is either refined or a reckless slob. We know that it is artistic, even though many artistic people are angsty and depressed and not mirthful or jolly, and many are not gamblers either. There is a phrase "starving artists," which is literal, but Venus is supposed to be fat and overeat. Venus totally confuses me. Can anyone explain to me the whys behind Venus in trad?
Venus rules both Libra and Taurus and it depends on where your Venus is and its aspects.....Recklessness does not belong to Venus except in Aries for risk taking.. Artistic expression takes many forms and many creative people are happy and it really belongs with the Sun and Leo in many ways...Jupiter connected to Venus will cause over indulgence perhaps...What you are quoting is very narrow and stereotyped.
Always the whole chart has to be looked at and that is the art and science of true astrology.

Anachiel

I think the confusion is arising here because you are confusing two separate things.

First, Venus is the author of mirth and joy, among many other things. However, artists, skinny and fat people are not Venus. Neither are gamblers or starving artists or anyone else. No one is Venus. So, you have to separate that out first if you want to understand the concept behind this or any planet.

Venus does govern or rule, hold sway over or signify certain types of people and things and activities. She also has a distinct look, by herself, that ends up being modified by where she placed and such like.

However, one cannot conclude that all artists are Venusian; they aren't. All gamblers do not have Venus prominant; they don't. And, whether you eat well or not doesn't have one iota to do with Venus either.

This would be like saying the governor of a state or city is so-and-so down the street or this other person over here in that bar or those people down there illegally gambling or the housewife or whatever. They might partake in some of those activities but they aren't any of those people. They simply govern a specific area of effect, and hold sway over them, influence them and represent them in matters.

You can still be governed by Saturn and be happy or by Jupiter and be poor, or have a strong Mars and hate fighting or be an artist.

Not every recipe that has milk and honey is a cake.

SniperBomber328

You can still be governed by Saturn and be happy or by Jupiter and be poor, or have a strong Mars and hate fighting or be an artist.

Not every recipe that has milk and honey is a cake.

The above shaded area is totally me! My Mars is Angular in the 1st, Domicile in Scorpio, Direct in Motion, Free of Combustion, in its own Triplicity, Occidental and Swift in Motion......and I hate figthing all the way. In fact I am a pacifist in-and-out!

Rebel Uranian

I think your Mars is actually in Libra :whistling:

I don't like violence but my amagdalya, which tells most people "fight or flight," simply tells me "fight or fight." Most people don't have to worry about relying on it too much since theirs almost always say "flight" and thus they end up doing exactly that: relying on their amagdalyas too much and thus not thinking. I had to worry about relying on it pretty early on or else I'd just end up hitting people and breaking things. I don't like doing that, so I have to think.

Now back to Venus...

Last edited:

SniperBomber328

I think your Mars is actually in Libra :whistling:

I don't like violence but my amagdalya, which tells most people "fight or flight," simply tells me "fight or fight." Most people don't have to worry about relying on it too much since theirs almost always say "flight" and thus they end up doing exactly that: relying on their amagdalyas too much and thus not thinking. I had to worry about relying on it pretty early on or else I'd just end up hitting people and breaking things. I don't like doing that, so I have to think.

Now back to Venus...

It could be Libra, but I don't use Sidereal so....It doesn't really factor for me. Though the pacifist thing may stem from somewhere else, I wonder?

JUPITERASC

Traditionally
Venus completes 8 sidereal cycles and 5 synodic cycles with 8 years.

It has retreating arcs of 15 degrees for 40 days.
Venus is moistening and moderately heating, benefic, feminine and nocturnal.
admired, passionate, wealthy, gracious, outgoing and friendly.
Venus controls desire, love, priesthood, public benefactors, wearing of golden crowns and ornament
merriment, friendship, companionship, acquisition of additional property, ornaments,
agreements on favorable terms, marriages, refined arts, pleasant sounds, music-making, sweet singing,
beauty of form, painting, mixing of colours, embroidery, purple-dyeing, perfume making,
inventors, the masters of crafts, working with gold and precious stones, haircutters, cleanliness,
plays, the supervisors of markets, weights, measures, trades and shops, giving and receiving,
laughter and rejoicing, order, aquatic animals, the livelihood of the mother, assistance from women,
remarkable reputations, nourishment and pleasure, the olfactory system, the reproductive organs,
the secondary sex characteristics, multi-coloured adornments, precious stones, golden colours
and greasy tastes. It is chronocrator over youth up to the 22nd year.

Bibliography :)
Robbins, F. E. (1940). Ptolemy: Tetrabiblos. William Heinmann, London. Retrieved from
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/home.html
Valens, V. Anthologia. Translated by Mark Riley. Retrieved from https://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius Valens entire.pdf