Training

trickster

(Sorry if I'm putting this in the wrong place, or if it's already been done...)

I'm curious about your original astrological training. Are you self-taught through some of the fantastic books that are available? Did you learn by attending weekend workshops? Did you go to a formal astrology school, in person or online? Some combination?

Personally, I read lots of books and try to work through them using my own chart, but I'm just a hobbyist. I'd love to attend an astrology school though!

Your turn! :happy:

conspiracy theorist

To be brief because a lot of it is in my subconscious; self-taught. Looking for Sagittarius when I was 15 and natal charts as mentioned in a youtube comments section. Went from there and read anything and everything from all manner of practitioners both classical and modern. Learnt on my way how to separate the wheat from the chafe and not to be too glamoured by anyone so that they could sell me a crock. Forums were a boon and I learned a lot from watching trusted astrologers tackle a chart with high accuracy rating. One day everything congealed and I grokked it. I looked at a chart and all of a sudden it became crystal clear. Some time passed and I tried my hand at interpretations and they ended up being pretty good. And here I am today.

Osamenor

Staff member
I started with self teaching and came to this forum when I realized I needed help.

My first glimmers of interest in astrology just played out in conversations with amateur astrologers and reading a few books. One astrologer I knew recommended Steven Forrest's books, particularly The Inner Sky. I read it once, and how he described signs and planets and archetypes made perfect sense, but the last chapter, which is about aspects, just went over my head. I put it aside for maybe a year or two, then I got a professional astrology reading, including solar return. After that, I picked up the book again, and suddenly aspects started to make some sense.

I tried to interpret my own chart, and soon realized I didn't know enough to do it. Online I went, and I found this forum. I joined and started asking questions. I've now been here for just over two years.

A few months later, I heard about an astrology meetup group in my area. I went there. I met some professional astrologers, and one of them has been trying to get me to join her classes, but she's mostly scheduled them when I can't make them. I did do one short online class a few months ago.

I'll probably take some classes if and when I can fit them in. I might do an apprenticeship if the right opportunity comes along. But mostly, I'm learning by reading charts on here, and paying attention to my own chart and transit.

JUPITERASC

(Sorry if I'm putting this in the wrong place, or if it's already been done...)

I'm curious about your original astrological training.
Are you self-taught through some of the fantastic books that are available?
Did you learn by attending weekend workshops?
Did you go to a formal astrology school, in person or online? Some combination?

Personally, I read lots of books and try to work through them using my own chart,
but I'm just a hobbyist. I'd love to attend an astrology school though!

Your turn!
:happy:

For those who are interested in obtaining a certificate
there is a reputable online college offering courses taught by well known advanced astrologers at
http://www.kepler.edu/home/ :smile:

BUT
it is not necessary to spend any money at all
in order to have freely available to you ancient astrological techniques
that have amazingly survived for near enough two thousand years
– because they are available in the form of a FREE pdf translated by a Professor Riley of CSH
at
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf

Much astrological lore is missing
lost now in the mists of time, since important writings have been destroyed by war
or simple prejudice
not everyone agrees on the ways astrology 'works'
there are numerous branches such as Western, Sidereal, Vedic, Chinese and so on
also there are many skeptics
so ultimately its up to the individual to decide