How Accurate are Composite Charts, Really?

sibylline

@aquarius7000 and Jax,

So how would you interpret the composite of people with similar charts? I'm thinking of a former acquaintance, whose birth date is close to mine, was born in a nearby location, and his Ascendant is less than 30 degrees away in the previous sign. So his chart is similar to mine, and our composite is basically the replica of mine/ours in regard to houses and most aspects as well.

aquarius7000

@aquarius7000 and Jax,

So how would you interpret the composite of people with similar charts? I'm thinking of a former acquaintance, whose birth date is close to mine, was born in a nearby location, and his Ascendant is less than 30 degrees away in the previous sign. So his chart is similar to mine, and our composite is basically the replica of mine/ours in regard to houses and most aspects as well.
Similar in what way - you both have the same sun signs or moon signs or ascendants? You have the same houses? One needs to look at all that.

Different planets in different house, which is more than normal for people born at the same location, will give different houses in the composite as compared to the natal chart of any one of the two person. In the composite chart, the houses are the key, not the signs.

sibylline

Similar in what way - you both have the same sun signs or moon signs or ascendants? You have the same houses? One needs to look at all that.

Our Suns and Moons are in adjacent signs but they're in the same houses, because our Ascendants are in adjacent signs. Same signs and houses for the other planets.

aquarius7000

Our Suns and Moons are in adjacent signs but they're in the same houses, because our Ascendants are in adjacent signs. Same signs and houses for the other planets.
A little confusing. But if the composite shows the same houses as your natal charts, then you know that your 'calling' together is the same as what you individually have been doing. See the composite chart is a 'created' chart as I already explained in my previous post. Composite is about the last thing I do, if at all.

thelivingsky

Well, I think how Venus in 1st opposing Jupiter plays out in our relationship is we seem to agree on how to have fun, what restaurant to eat at, taste on aesthetic things, with Jupiter opposing, we probably encourage each other to over-indulge ;) ha!
On a more serious level, I think it helps us to compromise and find solutions to issues, there is a desire to please and to work things out. We were friends first and I think that is a strong basis for love & respect.

I agree with Aquarius7000 that the composite is only a chart of the combined energies of the two people. I like to compare the planets aspects from the synastry to the composite. It also seems to me that if there are not any planets in the angles (1,7, 4 or 10) of a composite then it is not a very significant relationship.

As for planets missing in angles or the angular houses not being prominent in the Composite, here is a list of couples whose composites have no planets in angles or the significant conjunctions and stelliums are not in the angles:

Paul McCartney and Linda Eastman married 25+ years
Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins -together 23 years, 5 children
Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward - married40 +years
Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash
Jay Leno and Mavis Leno - married 40 + years
Patrick Swayze and Lisa Niemi - married 30+ years
Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones
Madonna and Guy Ritchie - only 8 years but had children together
Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise - only 6 years but had a child and ..
Heidi Klum and Seal - again not long-lived marriage but had children together.
I have more I can list but the point is made.

I think these were "significant relationships." So as I have been reviewing my files I see that it's about 50/50 marriages where there is very little emphasis in the angular houses.

I have come to the firm conclusion after 40 years of studying that the Composite Chart is the best predictor of the longevity and general level of satisfaction in a relationship. BUT human beings have many things impacting on their psyches and souls and astrology does not exist in a vacuum. Example: if two people are fundamentally different in their values and level of spiritual advancement, a great composite will not insure success. If the person you are romantically involved with is emotionally troubled, is a sociopath, or an addict, these conditions will impact your relationship very negatively and these factors cannot be definitively determined by examining the composite chart although there may be clues in the natal - but these are not always definitive either.

A good exercise for students of astrology is to take the chart of someone they would not wish on anyone , say Adolph Hitler or Charles Manson, and do some random composites with these people and your friends and family members. You will get some composites that look pretty good and some that are really troubled. But surely you would not recommend that anyone have an intimate relationship with either of these two men.
So the lesson is: people need to do their homework and evaluate the character of any prospective lover/mate before they commit or even before they do the astrology.

I have found 5 characteristics that make for a really strong composite chart for romance and marriage:

1. A conjunction or stellium with the Sun or Moon that is supported by a sextile or trine to another planet
2. A happy Moon - meaning not more than one square aspect or one opposition to the Moon. Square to Jupiter is an exception.
3. Sun or Moon not in H6 or H12
4. Good aspects outweigh the negative ones and there are no t-squares. Jupiter squares and oppositions are usually benign unless Jupiter is conjunct another difficult planet like Pluto or Saturn.
5. For longevity the nodes should fall in the stellium or square it, or on the Moon or the NNode (not the SNode) is on the Asc.

I have some articles about Composites and compatibility myths at my blog at www.thelivingsky.wordpress.com

Barb

Last edited:

Kannon

First, it is good to have solid footing in natal astrology interpretation. Second, there is a lot of stuff online, even in books that is off-base. As to composites, some sites may specify something desirable in a synastry or composite, but which is not necessary for a good relationship. Thirdly, stick with planets rather than clutter up the thing with every conceivable asteroid, planetoid, or factor that might affect a relationship.

For years I've used composite charts to understand the relationship that is created when two people come together (romantic or platonic). Or should I say, I've tried to used them, because I've gotten mixed results at best. I'm willing to consider that I'm missing something about the composite or perhaps am going about it entirely the wrong way, even though I've read several books on it and been trained.

To anyone who claims the composite chart as one of the tools in their astrological belt:

1) Could you look at a composite chart and, given basic background information on the individuals, come to a mostly accurate portrayal of the relationship?

Generally, yes. However, I use the composite once they are at least cohabitating as a couple committed to blending their lives. That is the symbol of the composite using midpoints of each planet/point to create a singular chart representing the unification of two lives. This is not a statement of what cannot be done with the composite, but a position I take that I don't want to encourage a line of thinking into a relationship that may not even exist (such as composites with persons you have not even approached yet or celebrities). Till then I stick with synastry and emphasize that the native I'm speaking to understand their natal's contribution to it.

2) What are the techniques you use?

Its not much different than natal astrology, but I first start with two verified charts with dead-accurate Asc figures. Otherwise I have to leave off the fast moving factors (Asc, and possibly Moon. If one person is lacking a time of birth, don't bother.

Limit aspects to those within 5° of exact, but with luminaries given more leeway. Be sure to include the declinations. Some composites have their strongest features there.

From there simply apply some astrological common sense with regard to Moon/domestic/female matters, Sun/passion/energy/life, Mercury/communication/thinking style, Venus/affection.

3) How accurate have you, and the people you have read for, found your readings?

I don't use composite charts often enough to have enough to make a reasonable measurement of accuracy. Most of the time people are interested in whether a relationship 'should' happen, thus pointing first to synastry, not a composite.

Mostly I refer to the composite for my wife and I. I don't refer to it often, just often enough to understand something of the transits it is undergoing.

More -- There is no such thing as a "progressed composite." In order to progress any chart, there must be a natural planetary motion/velocity that determines what 'progress' means. Humans cannot decide this by superimposing an overlay of estimates/averages over a singular set of midpoints (made by two sets of planetary positions that were moving at somewhat different rates, some of which may have even been Rx). Progressing a composite in this way creates a symbolic fiction of planetary motion that never happened. Astrology always gives us enough planets/objects to play with to totally fool ourselves about the astrological significance of what we're seeing. Sibylline, the comparisons you made above are a good check on falling into such symbolic fictions.

Continue the critical thinking.

sibylline

I have found 5 characteristics that make for a really strong composite chart for romance and marriage:

1. A conjunction or stellium with the Sun or Moon that is supported by a sextile or trine to another planet
2. A happy Moon - meaning not more than one square aspect or one opposition to the Moon. Square to Jupiter is an exception.
3. Sun or Moon not in H6 or H12
4. Good aspects outweigh the negative ones and there are no t-squares. Jupiter squares and oppositions are usually benign unless Jupiter is conjunct another difficult planet like Pluto or Saturn.
5. For longevity the nodes should fall in the stellium or square it, or on the Moon or the NNode (not the SNode) is on the Asc.

I have some articles about Composites and compatibility myths at my blog at www.thelivingsky.wordpress.com

Barb

Barb, thanks for the detailed comment. I'm certain I've read a couple of posts on your blog before as well. I'm going to look at these five characteristics in relation to the charts I have when I get more time and possibly post back here.

sibylline

Limit aspects to those within 5° of exact, but with luminaries given more leeway. Be sure to include the declinations. Some composites have their strongest features there.

From there simply apply some astrological common sense with regard to Moon/domestic/female matters, Sun/passion/energy/life, Mercury/communication/thinking style, Venus/affection.

[...]Astrology always gives us enough planets/objects to play with to totally fool ourselves about the astrological significance of what we're seeing. Sibylline, the comparisons you made above are a good check on falling into such symbolic fictions.

Continue the critical thinking.

Kannon, thank you. I was hoping you would respond because it seems you do a lot of research also. :happy:

What is your view of hard aspects in the composite? What would you make of a long-lasting, happy couple with primarily hard aspects in the composite, including conjunctions with or prominently placed Mars, Saturn, Pluto, Uranus?