The Moon's Speed - an indicator of intelligence

holly

From: Mountain Astrologer http://www.mountainastrologer.com/standards/editor's choice/articles/mental_chem/mental_chem.html

The Moon’s relative speed shows a native’s perceptual capabilities: how a person processes information, whether his or her perceptions are alert (fast Moon) or deliberate (slow Moon). The Moon’s daily travel is simply the difference between the Moon’s longitude at midnight (or noon) Universal Time before birth and its longitude at midnight (or noon) UT after birth. Because this averages 13°10’ (13.37°) per day, we will define a native’s perception to be alert if the Moon was moving faster than this on the day of birth — and deliberate, if the Moon was moving more slowly than this.

In the words of Al H. Morrison: “The ‘fast’ Moon … scans rapidly with a wide-open search pattern. If there is anything going on, anything new or unfamiliar, anything different from expectation, it is instantly perceived. In a complex environment, as most social environments are, there are so many details and processes to notice that the ‘fast’ Moon native has his mind receiving an avalanche of input, fresh data.”2

On the other hand, “Where the Moon is slow in its apparent motion, the native’s perceptual capabilities are focused, or directed toward observing whatever the native is motivated to seek, or has been conditioned to pay attention to, or whatever he fears. Other information is simply not perceived, not observed. This leaves the mind relatively lightly burdened, with minimal input of perceived data to process.”3

I found it to be particularly interesting as an explanation as to why some people are very perceptive about their environment, can think quickly and retain random snippets of trivia, while others are oblivious to such things.

I've tested it out on my quick witted family and rather 'slow', oblivious fiance (I do love him, I promise! ;)) so I'd be interested to see if others find the article informative and useful.

sskohli

hi holly
i would think, it depends on the position of the moon...
i think it affects the mind, if its aspecting the ascendant in some way...
if its in other houses, it generally causes fast changes
my friend has a moon in the 10th house and he frequently changes jobs
other one of mine has moon in the 7th and he cannot make his decisions on relationships..i think moon causes impatience and doubt in the areas where it aspects.
But then its what, i have experienced..try it on your fiance..see where his moon is placed vis-a-vis his ascendant.
sandeep

Lissa

Hi Holly,

That is very interesting,but is there a simple way of calculating the Moon's speed at our time of birth?I don't know how to calculate this,and I'm not exacly good with the Maths...

Arian Maverick

I was about to post a similar question, but I believe the easiest way to make these calculations would be to consult the Swiss Ephemeris for Users on the Astrodienst site.

The key is this:

The Moon’s daily travel is simply the difference between the Moon’s longitude at midnight (or noon) Universal Time before birth and its longitude at midnight (or noon) UT after birth. Because this averages 13°10’ (13.37°) per day, we will define a native’s perception to be alert if the Moon was moving faster than this on the day of birth — and deliberate, if the Moon was moving more slowly than this.

I'm no mathematician, so I'll use myself as the guinea pig and see if I can arrive at a relatively close answer.

I was born on April 5, 1989 at 6:04 AM, so I will consult the Ephemeris for April 5th and for April 6th. I believe the numbers are already set for 0:00 Universal Time (UT). At midnight UT on April 5th, the Moon was at 28 Pisces 50; at midnight UT on April 6th, the Moon was at 14 Aries 04. Unfortunately, I will probably have to convert both numbers to the 360 degrees format. The Aries is simple enough, since Aries is the first sign of the zodiac and does not require any additional adding of 30-degree segments, but Pisces is the last sign, so I will subtract 30 degrees from 360 to begin--330. Now, I add 28 to result in 358; I could have also subtracted 2, but I prefer addition to subtraction. We can't forget the minutes, so tack on 50 minutes to 358 to result in 358 50/60, 358 5/6 to reduce the fraction.

Next, we should reduce 14 Aries 04 to 14 4/60 to 14 1/15 to make calculations simpler.

358 5/6 - 14 1/15 = 344 23/30

Obviously the Moon didn't travel through the entire zodiac in one day, but this is the disadvantage of moving between Pisces and Aries; I think I'll try taking away 30-degree segments.

EDIT: I'm going to leave everything I've typed above so that others can learn from my mistake, which I realized shortly after I left. I had the right idea about converting the both numbers into their equivalent degree in 360-degrees system, yet I did it in reverse.

Pisces can remain at 358 5/6, but I should have added 360 degrees to the 14 Aries 04 (14 1/5) to arrive at 374 1/5.

Now, I will take away Pisces from Aries, instead of Aries from Pisces.

374 1/5 - 358 5/6 = 15 11/30

Because this averages 13°10’ (13.37°) per day, we will define a native’s perception to be alert if the Moon was moving faster than this on the day of birth — and deliberate, if the Moon was moving more slowly than this.

So if I did my calculations correctly, the Moon was moving faster than the average of 13.37 degrees per day on my date of birth.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Lissa

Thank you Arian,but I'm a lazy gal...:D I would rather have a program or someone like that could calculate that,I know some astrological programs do so.Any of you Kepler users out there willing to o this for me?...:D

Michael

I am willing to help you Lissa.
I have Kepler 7.0. However I
don't know what to do, so
please tell me what I have to
look for.

Lissa

Thank you so much Michael!!!

I'm not sure either because I don't have Kepler,but I've seen a couple of shots from charts made with Kepler that had the Moon's speed listed,you just had to input the person's data I thik...

(My data is March17 1991 2:40AM in Oeiras,Portugal)

Blessings,
Lissa

Michael

Lissa your moon was at +13º 36' 18'' (Janus) when you were born.
Faster than mine.

13º 28 is the velocity of the moon when I was born.
So I guess it's fast.

I'm having problems calculating this. Wait for an update.

Last edited:

Lissa

Thank you alot for checking it for me Michael!:39:

We both have fast Moons,I guess that gives us the ability to be quickly aware of our surroundings...seems accurate to me.

Arian Maverick

The Moon’s speed, however, does not merely symbolize how fast information is gathered and processed; it also describes how people gather themselves together and gird themselves for action. The natives whose perceptions are alert move quickly to get on top of a situation: Their immediate impulse is to attack. They like things to be clear and definite and aboveboard, so they are nonplused by subtleties. When they have a bee in their bonnet, they have no patience for any other point of view, nor are they interested in exploring possible consequences and ramifications — they don’t even want to hear about such things. They move by impulse and instinct; they make up their minds immediately, and once their minds are made up, they cannot be budged or moved to reconsider. In conflict, they try to take their opponents by storm, to overwhelm them, to give them no space in which to move. Their actions and reactions are quick and decisive.

Perhaps I'm biased, but this description sounds suspiciously Arian to me, although I understand that a fast-traveling moon has nothing to do with the sign it is located in...

What am I supposed to do with a fast Aries Moon? :rolleyes:

The other horoscope factor that makes up a person’s mental chemistry is Mercury’s position relative to the Sun at the moment of birth. If Mercury is located earlier than the Sun in the zodiac — so that, at dawn on the birthday, Mercury has already risen (is in the 12th house) — then the native’s attitude is said to be eager. Whereas if Mercury is located later than the Sun in the zodiac — so that, at dawn on the birthday, Mercury is still beneath the horizon (in the 1st house) — then the native’s attitude is said to be certain. (See Table below.) The difference here lies in how people categorize information, interpret it, and fit it into preconceived patterns, whether these be individualistic (eager) or conventional (certain). This is a process of reason or self-consciousness rather than one of knee-jerk response.

Does this paragraph refer to the exact position of Mercury relative to the Sun at the moment of birth, or at the moment of sunrise on that day? Also, if a native were born before sunrise, would he or she use the sunrise of the previous day?

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

holly

A really easy way to calculate the Moon's speed, if anyone is still interested in doing so, is to use the astro.com chart facility.

Enter your birth date, as you would to normally get your chart, but instead of your time and location, enter in midnight (GMT) and put Greenwhich England as your birth place.

When the chart comes up, note the position of the Moon. Do this again but use 11:59 pm as the birth time. Note the position of the Moon.

Now subtract the first from the second, being careful to convert degrees and minutes, to degrees and decimal places, and then back again.

That final number is the result. Done!

EXAMPLE

Using my birth date: January 20 1985.

Step 1.
I would enter 00 (12 MIDNIGHT) 00 as the birth time.
I would enter Greenwhich, England as the birth place.

Looking at the chart, the Moon was at 16 degrees, 28 minutes and 47 seconds. Write this down. This is the Moon's position at the beginning of the day.

Step 2.
I would then go back and edit the birth data, and replace midnight with 11:59 pm. Keep the location as Greenwhich, England.

Looking at the chart for a second time, I note that the Moon was at 29 degrees, 38 minutes and 41 seconds. This is the Moon's position at the end of the day.

Step 3.
Convert both numbers to decimal points.

16 28 47 becomes 16.46 (I didn't bother with the seconds, but you can if you like it to be more accurate.)

To convert to decimals, divide the minutes by 60. In our example 28/60 = .46

The first number is 16.46
The second number is 29.63

Step 4.
Subtract the first number from the second.

29.63 - 16.46 = 13.17

Step 5.
Convert the result back to degrees minutes and seconds. This is done by multiplying the numbers after the decimal point by 60.

.17 x 60 = 10.2

The result is 13 degrees, and 10 minutes.

Result.
Therfore, on my date of birth, the Moon was moving a distance of 13 degrees and 10 minutes per day.

This number is the exact average, which is surprising, because I believe I am super intelligent. ;)

If anyone wants me to work theirs out for them, just give me a yell. I like doing this kind of maths! :)

holly

I will do Lissa's as a second example.

EXAMPLE #2
Lissa's birth info is: March17 1991 2:40AM in Oeiras,Portugal

However we only need to know the DATE of birth. I will use astro.com again, as this option seems to be available to everyone.

Step 1.
I will go to astro services > charts > extended chart selection.
Click 'add a new person'.

This is the information I will enter for Lissa:

Date: 17 March 1991
Time: 00 MIDNIGHT 00
Place: Greenwich, England, UK.

Looking at the chart, I see that the Moon was at 4 degrees, 11 minutes and 4 seconds. This is the Moon's position at the beginning of the day.

Step 2.
I click 'edit data for Lissa' and change the birth time to 11:59pm This is the data I now use for Lissa:

Date: 17 March 1991
Time: 11:59
Place: Greenwich, England, UK.

Looking at this chart, I note that the Moon was at 17 degrees, 57 minutes and 22 seconds. This is the Moon's position at the end of the day.

My two numbers are as follows:

Start of the day: 4 11 4
End of the day: 17 57 22

Step 3.
I will now convert these to decimals.

Start of the day.
4 11
11/60 = .18
In decimals: 4.18 degrees.

End of the day.
17 57
57/60 = .95
In decimals: 17.95 degrees.

Step 4.
We now need to subtract the start of the day from the end of the day.

17.95 - 4.18 = 13.77

Step 5.
We will convert this back to degrees and minutes:
.77 x 60 = 46
The answer is 13 degrees and 46 minutes.

Result.
The Moon travelled 13 degrees and 46 minutes on the day Lissa was born. This is just above average, so Lissa is smarter (ok, more 'perceptive' and 'quick minded') than me. ;)

holly

Arian Maverick said:
Does this paragraph refer to the exact position of Mercury relative to the Sun at the moment of birth, or at the moment of sunrise on that day? Also, if a native were born before sunrise, would he or she use the sunrise of the previous day?

Arian Maverick

Arian Maverick,

From what I understand, he is referring to the position of Mercury relative to the Sun at the time of birth and is using Sunrise to explain his point.

If Mercury is at 10 degrees of a sign, and the Sun is at 20 degrees of the same sign, then Mercury is earlier than the Sun in the zodiac, and would therefore rise earlier.

So if Mercury occupied a later degree than the Sun, it would rise after the Sun.

Does that make sense?

In my chart, the Sun is at 0 degrees Aquarius, and Mercury is at 11 degrees Capricorn. Mercury occupies an earlier degree of the zodiac than the Sun, and thus Mercury would have risen earlier than the Sun. When I double check it by changing my birth time to sunrise, I see that the Sun is on the Asc, and Mercury is in the 12th house. He has already risen.

unukalhai

Yikes... Too much math!

Attached: Moon speed tables for 1940-1960, 1961-1980 and 1981-1994, as comma-seperated-values file (view in text editor or your favorite spreadsheet application like excel, etc, after unzipping) - Values given for midnight and noon of each day, GMT time.

Attachments

• mspeed-1940-1960.zip
    83.9 KB · Views: 54
  • mspeed-1961-1980.zip
    79.7 KB · Views: 58
  • mspeed-1981-1994.zip
    56.4 KB · Views: 82

gaer

unukalhai said:
Yikes... Too much math!
I agree!!!

This is as detailed as I would get, for Lissa:

Aries: 12:34, 12 hours later
Pisces: 28:52, 12 hours earlier
--------
Difference 13 degrees, 42 minutes, average speed, from 12 hours before her birth to 12 hours afterwards. I wouldn't bother with seconds.

Easier way: The moon was at 5 Aries 42 at birth. Use a program to "rewind" to 0 Aries (which just happens to be at 4:40 PM the previous day, but that doesn't matter). Then set for the next day.

That gives you 13:43, as close as you need to be. ;)

Gaer

PS: I think mine is 14:50, so I must be very smart. :D

Lissa

Oh my God,so much math when you have a program that calculates it for you!:eek: As I always say,"Why would you want to do by hand what a computer is perfectly capable of doing on it's own":D?Or maybe I'm the only one around here who's lazy:D.

(Thank you to those who calculated my Moon's speed :39: ,I'm still not sure about what was the exact speed but I guess it can be considered a fast Moon.)

gaer

Lissa said:
Oh my God,so much math when you have a program that calculates it for you!:eek: As I always say,"Why would you want to do by hand what a computer is perfectly capable of doing on it's own":D?Or maybe I'm the only one around here who's lazy:D.

(Thank you to those who calculated my Moon's speed :39: ,I'm still not sure about what was the exact speed but I guess it can be considered a fast Moon.)
According to the first post, the average is: 13°10’

Yours is 13°43’

Really fast is a bit over 15 degrees.

Really slow is a bit under 12 degrees.

Your moon is a bit fast, but just a little. ;)

Gaer

KayBug

Just looking at my chart or rather the box beside my chart it says Moon 7 Scorpio 58' 20"

Is this suppose to be telling me I am stupid or something? Grrr....Scorpio moon doesn't like that.

Last edited: