Is Neptune a Malefic?

MysticMelody

hmmmm... I am neptunean person (my neptune is in 1st house) very close to ASC.
Well.... for me it is love/hate rel with this planet

Bad:
1. Took me FORVER to identify with myself (still straggling)
2. All of my partners did not know where they stand in a relationship. Despite all my efforts to clarify it
3. Sometimes I fall into role of the victim (but I learned how to get out of it pretty fast) J
4. I can not identify with my emotions. It is too foggy , when I finally do that usually it is too late
5. Escapism: yes … I am not an alcoholic I actually never drink but when I drink a glass of wine I get so intoxicating it is not funny.

Good
1. Appreciation of music and art (used to go to ballet school and finished music school)
2. Great imagination J
3. I “feel” people very fast. Can identify with them fast too. Sometimes it really bothers me. I am taking role of the mirror

Mystic

Ebenia

This is a very interesting thread. I have a strong Neptune influence on my chart - it's closely conjunct my MC in Capricorn and my Sun in 10th and opposing my Moon in 4th in Cancer.

It has caused problems, but it has only made me stronger. I feel like everything that Neptune touches will refine. You cannot understand Neptune energy by focusing on it too much - it cannot be narrowed down ever probably. I feel like it's the soul of a human being - you know it's there and it is sometimes confusing, but in the core of the things, there it still is, bright and clear, showing you the way. Neptune confuses us, so that we would turn within, to find what's really in there.

To me, Neptune is my light and strenght. It has given me the ability to dream and make those dreams reality - it needed a lot of saturnian hard work, but if I hadn't seen the dream in front of me, I would have never done the concrete job really.

I have also learned Neptunes power in a hard way - both my mom and dad have some Neptunian issues; both of them have been alcoholics and my mom still is and my father has other mental issues. I have been a victim, I have martyrised my self, but I will not do it anymore. These situations have refined me as a person and now I am able to pursue my dreams in life as a whole.

And as you could imagine while having Neptune on MC, I will become a psychologist and help people - at least I will work hard on it. :)

Antikythera Mechanism

I have a problem with Neptune in a loved one's chart which was I discovered- that this planet in her 9th House- conjoined with MC- an incredible mind set and also conjoined with the Well known Fixed Star identified as;
Ras Alhague, With Neptune:
Hypocritical, self-seeking, able speaker or writer, but panders to the public, occult, religious or scientific work, but largely misleading, minor Government position, domestic disharmony, ill-health to marriage partner, disappointment over legacy, peculiar death sometimes through fall but animal and human agency may be suspected.
This is an event that took place when she was born that created the horror to all members of my family and hers-
to all of the family members who do not know astrology will really know that everything Neptunium of this person will never be discovered- only we the Astrologer can see it there and more!

Miss Kitten

I don't know what I think about Neptune. I know a person who has a Neptune-Jupiter conjunction on the cusp of Sagittarius and Capricorn, trining a Virgo sun. She doesn't do drugs like a lot of astrological material would suggest, but she has problems idealizing others. However, she is strong psychic who can do things like disrupt electronic devices just by feeling pissy, or make water follow the movement of her hands.

Pallas-trine-Mars

Miss Kitten - The Virgo ascendant and some other aspects probably contribute to her not wanting to use drugs, and depending on which planet is in Capricorn that one probably also, I slightly lean toward thinking Jupiter moreso.

Olivia - Nice job using traditional humoric descriptions, but I actually see Neptune as being dry, very dry, yet moist, like fog, vapors, oil and alcohol vapors especially, all of which are modernly kind of synonymous with Neptune in some way. Vapors are liquids in their gaseous state, so they can be considered moist, but any gas is pretty much always considered dry. Moist means collecting, dry means separating, Neptune has the ability to do both but ends in dryness after its fog has blown away - a vision and truth obscuring fog of lies, deception, idealization, manipulation, uncertainty and naivete have been removed there's nothing left but the dry truth. Oil and alcohol vapors are moist because it's from a liquid, but dry because they're gas and are flammable, meaning that once someone has challenged a dear belief someone has held true it's not uncommon for that person to become defensive and fight to protect that belief Neptune told them was sacred and perfect, even though this other person is proving it wrong. Pure alcohol turns to gas at room temperature and of course gets people drunk, which easily can match Neptune's confusion.

Look at the effect Neptune in Aquarius (which I consider Neptune's fall) has had: Nobody has any friends any more! Everyone's kind of turned inward, become shallow, narcissistic, looking out for number one first. People who think they have friends probably can't count on them when they need them or they idealize the people they surround themselves with, probably to their own detriment, that's the dry: Neptune's barrenness and false hope.
The moist is in how people now try (strong emphasis) to communicate to each other on cell phones, facebook, twitter, myspace, looking for "friends" online (or this could be Uranus in Pisces or their mutual reception). Some people add thousands of random strangers just trying to feel popular (Aquarius is associated with groups) and mistake this as friendship, some people like myself have to learn hard lesson's about the truth of human friendships and overcome their unrealistic ideals about it and the potential they believe is there, but isn't. If I'm right that Neptune has this contrary dualistic nature it's further proof that Neptune is indeed that accurate ruler of the double-bodied Pisces I think. Many of these things happen throughout time, but I think they're especially prevalent now, thank you, Poseidon! Also, drugs have become more of an issue, like people getting meds from Canada here in the US and a subtle movement to legalize pot mostly at a state level. I don't want to start a whole thing here, but these people claim pot is totally harmless.. Yeah, but they're being led by Neptune, so I don't really trust their claims.

Neptune is like a mirage: Something you perceive that might not be true.

Its catchphrase could be "Everything's fine!" or the "The sky is falling!" So Neptune is definitely malefic, and we're not just talking about individual charts or personal opinions. If a malefic is a planet that does intentional harm than there can be no doubt.

Last edited:

Inside Out Orange

The moist is in how people now try (strong emphasis) to communicate to each other on cell phones, facebook, twitter, myspace, looking for "friends" online (or this could be Uranus in Pisces or their mutual reception). Some people add thousands of random strangers just trying to feel popular (Aquarius is associated with groups) and mistake this as friendship, some people like myself have to learn hard lesson's about the truth of human friendships and overcome their unrealistic ideals about it and the potential they believe is there, but isn't.

I think that's a good example of Neptune in Aquarius. In addition to your points, I'd add that it's all distant communication, no real depth and electronic-based which is very Aquarian in its nature. From the Neptunian perspective, many people with cell phones, texts, facebook, twitter seem to be addicted to it.

Ebenia

Even though this could be very clear to everyone, I am still going to address something that I feel that needs to be really considered when talking about any planet - especially Neptune.

It is easy to blame something that you do not see completely and you cannot really control. But the truth is that Neptune is not any worse planet than any other planet. The thing that makes Neptune probably so hard to deal with, is that we people don't want to deal with ourselves.

I feel like every planet is a two way street - you can go it the low way or the high way. If you develop yourself, if you oppose yourself, if you dress yourself up from everything unreal, you can find the pure love, pure soul that you have inside. Both of these things (unreal things and illusions and pure soul) are in my opinion under the influence of Neptune.

We as humans are terrified of ourselves. That is why we drink and use drugs and go for Facebook instead of meeting a friend by a cup of coffee and so on, cause we are avoiding (Neptune) the truth. Neptune just represents this side of people. It does not do anything bad itself - we all have the opportunity to either learn and act or to sit and be taken over by all the influences that the world gives us and blame it on others.

Amy Vir Sn Ari Mn Pis Ris

I have Neptune in 28 degrees Libra in my natal 8th house, whether you use Placidius or whole house. I think it's given me dreams that have come true.

I know folks with Mars square Neptune who had addictive personalities....
either with drugs or alcohol....or Neptune conjunct their rising.

Inside Out Orange

At the risk of speaking too soon ... I'm actually beginning to enjoy my Neptune transits ... I'm finding myself more perceptive of people's "between the lines" communication ... I'm finding myself more trusting that what the universe has delivered is because it is what I wanted and need ...

Curious Amy....

I have Neptune conjunct my ASC by 4 degrees, both in Capricorn. Neptune is in my 12th house. My ASC is also conjunct Mars by 7 degrees, and Mars is in the 1st house, also in Capricorn.

I loathe alcohol, and rarely use drugs, and only enjoy such use when I'm alone and want to sit and think without judging my own thoughts and perceptions. (Venus in Virgo) I am actually really rather frightened at the thought, and haven't used any sort of drug since college, and probably won't ever again. It terrifies me even to think about it. Meditating also frightens me significantly, even though I easily slip into meditative states. I just don't want to lose control. Perhaps this is the Capricorn influence?

mod.

Ebenia

Meditating also frightens me significantly, even though I easily slip into meditative states. I just don't want to lose control. Perhaps this is the Capricorn influence?

mod.

I have noticed the same thing - I am kind of terrified of meditating, even though I can also slip into meditative-kind-of mind very easily, especially when doing a astrology reading for someone or helping people out. But I am terrified of meditating for my own good. **** you capricorn influence - I like you usually so much, but the **** control thing is bothering...:devil:

Inside Out Orange

What are you defining as meditation?

Meditation is just a state of being where you are aware of everything that is going on around you. It's relaxed and focused. What's scary about that?

Amy Vir Sn Ari Mn Pis Ris

ModCleopatria.....as always with astrology we know the stars give us the power of choice. Perhaps yours is manifest by being spiritual or a dreamer? I should think that Venus in Virgo will be much more practical and health conscious.

InsideOut-

I suppose I mean a deep, meditative reflective state. I can't let myself get into the immagery- I literally get scared and pull out, even with someone guiding me.

Amy-

You're right about that! Definitely health conscious, and Venus trines Neptune.

mod.

Inside Out Orange

InsideOut-

I suppose I mean a deep, meditative reflective state. I can't let myself get into the immagery- I literally get scared and pull out, even with someone guiding me.

Ah I see. That makes more sense.

I'd have expected the fear of those states to come from a water sign influence. They tend to engage with those kinds of visualisation in quite a deep way.

Canaqua

Let me speak to my freind Neptune...

For years Neptune, played me, life confused me and I lived like there was no one else on earth.

Then I woke up....

I lived the life of sex, drugs and rock and roll... or at least I thought I did!!!! Then came Pluto sq Pluto, Neptune sq Neptune, and of course don't forget the uranus opposition.... BANG.... smack up the side of the head.

Now that I am awake, I live a different life... I use my Neptune to give to humanity, practice art and love unconditionally. I'd rather use it like this than the previouse 40 years.

It's true, the positive and negitive are there if you chose to use them. I have Neptune conjunct my IC, part of a grand time in water from 4th/11th/8th... trining Mercury11th and Jupiter 8th... Talk about telling a great story... well, I did... and still do. I use my talents to write, and public speaking.... I run an non-profit Free art studio to those who grapple with mental illness, addicitons and poverity....

I would much rather use this GT like this than how I used it back in the 70's.... I was the addicted one... I took all of my life experiences and turned them into gifts to mentor those I work with today....

No matter what the natal chart says... it has to say it in at least three different areas for it to become a reality (at least that is how I read it) nothing is all negitive...there are silver linings to everything... knowing them is half the battle.

If you believe you are operating the negitive side of neptune... change your brain...change your thoughts and perhaps even your friends. You can look of the higher octive of Neptune and use it to be the best you can be.

Or then againg you can wait for Pluto to come along and destroy all you have build, and then get whopped over the head by Uranus in one clean sweep.... it's up to you.

First you must believe then you will recieve....

Neptune's location on the wheel as the beginning-at-the-end and the make-up of its glyph give a clear indication of how Neptune should be interpreted.

The crescent is rotated 90 degrees from its Eastern orientation as the Moon to a Southern orientation. It rests atop the cross, which represents matter or corporeal man.

Pay special attention to the foot of the cross which is also orientated south and is an inversion of the standard cross representation, another significant indicator. Pisces and Neptune rule the foot. The glyph represents a complete change in the hierarchy of awareness and values and shows the final stage of the evolved soul transcending the shackles of man's material world and form.

For the spiritually aware soul, Neptune is benefic and the placement of the Moon, Neptune along with 4th, 8th and 12th houses will reflect this. Neptune rules the ideal mixture of intuition and feeling, creating spirituality.

To gain spirituality, one must forsake the self for a higher cause. Matter is an illusion. The self is merely part of the universal whole. The only constant of the material world is change. These are foundational teachings to all religions manifest during the Piscean age.

A soul ruled by matter will likely struggle against Neptune, which requires that one gives in. These souls will find Neptune to be generally malefic, especially where aspecting the Sun and Uranus and in the 2nd, 6th and 10th houses.

Jupiter and Saturn's placement and aspects can either moderate, discourage or encourage one's influence from Neptune (or any of the other planets), but as both represent the meeting ground between the inner and outer planets, the influence deriving from their placement should be given much consideration.

Last edited:

Inside Out Orange

A soul ruled by matter will likely struggle against Neptune, which requires that one gives in. These souls will find Neptune to be generally malefic, especially where aspecting the Sun and Uranus and in the 2nd, 6th and 10th houses.

Sorry to cherry-pick one comment but I think this is definitely a key to how people view Neptune. It dissolves all that Saturn has built and in recent times of rampant materialism it's hard for many not to Neptune as a malefic.