Kickoff times

Bulletbobb

I posted this same question over on 'the other' forum, but with no replies.
I would like to know if anyone has noted the actual kickoff times for European football (soccer) games. Most posts seem to use times like 12:00 or 15:00, which I find hard to believe. Surely TV 'over there' needs at least a few minutes to make their introductory comments, just as we do, at least for the NFL?
Having a built-in 2-3 minute error in start times is recipe for failure.

Craig
CA, USA

sven555

In the UK, times of kick off are very strict.

3pm kick-offs literally start within seconds of 3pm (+/- 2 seconds)

This is done to prevent cheating by either team or other games happening simultaneously.

In European matches, I think they are a bit more relaxed. Not sure.

wirabhumi

I m a big football fans.
I have been following many major league in many country since I was teenager.

In whole of Asia and Europe football (soccer), kick off times are strict.
Very rarely match start late. if happen, because something extra ordinary happens, like riots, bad weather, accident etc..

So if there any tv report, comentator or events, it will be done before, and match start in exact time as schedule.
Even just 1 minutes late, that happen very unusual.

But in Australy (Hyundai A-League) and US (MLS), some ceremonial or some event tooks time where match suppose to be start.
So kick off will be so late than time scheduled, and that was common.

Last edited:

Bulletbobb

You guys are lucky to have your games start on time.
Over here the NBA, for example, usually starts at 11 minutes after, but that's only the most common starting time: there's actually about a 5 minute window during which the game can start. Makes it very risky to use things like midpoints, which have very small orbs.

Thanks for the information.

Craig

Loda41

I posted this same question over on 'the other' forum, but with no replies.
I would like to know if anyone has noted the actual kickoff times for European football (soccer) games. Most posts seem to use times like 12:00 or 15:00, which I find hard to believe. Surely TV 'over there' needs at least a few minutes to make their introductory comments, just as we do, at least for the NFL?
Having a built-in 2-3 minute error in start times is recipe for failure.

Craig
CA, USA
The official time is IMO a lot easier to use or simply add 5 minutes to the officially posted time. I found I wasted too much time http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/images/smilies/sick.pngtrying to hit it exactly although with modern cable and internet systems the starting times are getting closer to the officially posted time

Bulletbobb

I'm not quite sure what you mean.
Here in the US starting times are set by the TV people, to have time for introductory comments, commercials, etc. The NBA, for example, usually starts at 11 minutes after the nominal. Adding 5 minutes to the scheduled start time would still result in a very serious error in the start.
From what the others told me games in Europe start right on the scheduled time, so I don't understand why you would be adding 5 minutes to those times.

CRW

Loda41

I dont follow European sports closely. The U.S. hockey leagues started adding five minutes from the half hour mark on their games. Granted it is not exact, just an easy way for me to split between 11 minutes past the half hour and the half hour itself.

Bulletbobb

So you're 'over here". I thought I was the only American to be interested in sports! Don't know why more of us don't post.
The NHL generally starts at 8 minutes after the listed time. 7 minutes is the earliest I've seen, altho games can start after 8 minutes.
You have to be very careful about starting times as some parts of the chart are very sensitive to time, and it makes a big difference.
Exact times are available, if you know where to look.

Craig