Mutual reception in horary

Osamenor

Staff member
If a horary chart has a mutual reception involving a significator, is that telling us something? If so, what?

I'm thinking of the kind of situation in which the querant's significator is in mutual reception with another planet, but that planet is not in an aspect with the significator and is not the significator of the quesited, either. For instance, the querant is represented by Venus, the quesited is represented by Mars, and Venus is in mutual reception with Mercury, but Mercury does not make an aspect to Venus or Mars. Would the mutual reception be a telling detail, and what kind of information might we get out of it?

Osamenor

Staff member
I meant mutual reception in the sense that the planets are in each other's domiciles. For instance, Venus in Gemini and Mercury in Taurus. They wouldn't aspect each other, but they would be in mutual reception.

Oddity

They're not in mutual reception. They need to at least see each other by sign, and these two don't. In horary, you'd want an applying aspect.

In modern astrology, I believe the idea of mutual reception is two planets being in each other's sign of rulership.

It gets more complicated in traditional, and in horary astrology. Planets can receive each other by rulership, exaltation, or two minor dignities, and it still works. For instance, Saturn in Sag and Jupiter in Libra. This works because Jupiter rules Sagittarius, and Saturn is the exaltation ruler of Libra. But it wouldn't work if the planets weren't seeing each other by sextile.

If you have no aspect, you have no action, except in rare cases of emplacement, e.g., sometimes a person's significator in the tenth house in a job horary indicates that they'll get the job. But that's partially dependent on dignities, too.

Osamenor

Staff member
In modern astrology, I believe the idea of mutual reception is two planets being in each other's sign of rulership.
Yes, that's what I meant when I said mutual reception.

It gets more complicated in traditional, and in horary astrology. Planets can receive each other by rulership, exaltation, or two minor dignities, and it still works. For instance, Saturn in Sag and Jupiter in Libra. This works because Jupiter rules Sagittarius, and Saturn is the exaltation ruler of Libra. But it wouldn't work if the planets weren't seeing each other by sextile.

If you have no aspect, you have no action, except in rare cases of emplacement, e.g., sometimes a person's significator in the tenth house in a job horary indicates that they'll get the job. But that's partially dependent on dignities, too.
Okay... so just being in each other's sign of rulership won't do it. But would that perhaps provide another detail? Let's say it's the same example: Venus signifies the querent and is in Gemini, while Mercury is in Taurus. Mercury and its placement are not representative of the question itself, but could they be a detail that hasn't been considered?

For an example, let's say this is a relationship question, and Libra is rising, making Gemini the ninth place and Taurus the eighth. The querent is a university student (ninth house) or maybe is about to go on a long trip (also ninth) and Mars, which represents their love interest, isn't in the right position for a yes, this person likes me... but then there's that Mercury in the eighth in mutual reception (by sign only) with Venus.

I'm imagining an eighth house kind of scenario unfolding that's currently unknown to the querent: a family member of theirs is terminally ill, for example, but they didn't know that, and when they find out, that's going to take their mind off romance for a while. Would that kind of thing be indicated by this horary? It wasn't covered by the question, and it isn't something the querent sees, but it's a game changer waiting to happen.

Oddity

Not really. It isn't strong enough. You might have some sympathy between Venus and Mercury here, but it wouldn't be game-changing. More along the lines of 'I understand what you're going through and I wish I could help, but I can't'.

tsmall

Premium Member
Yes, that's what I meant when I said mutual reception.

Okay... so just being in each other's sign of rulership won't do it. But would that perhaps provide another detail? Let's say it's the same example: Venus signifies the querent and is in Gemini, while Mercury is in Taurus. Mercury and its placement are not representative of the question itself, but could they be a detail that hasn't been considered?

For an example, let's say this is a relationship question, and Libra is rising, making Gemini the ninth place and Taurus the eighth. The querent is a university student (ninth house) or maybe is about to go on a long trip (also ninth) and Mars, which represents their love interest, isn't in the right position for a yes, this person likes me... but then there's that Mercury in the eighth in mutual reception (by sign only) with Venus.

I'm imagining an eighth house kind of scenario unfolding that's currently unknown to the querent: a family member of theirs is terminally ill, for example, but they didn't know that, and when they find out, that's going to take their mind off romance for a while. Would that kind of thing be indicated by this horary? It wasn't covered by the question, and it isn't something the querent sees, but it's a game changer waiting to happen.

Chart? Usually I only look at somthing unfolding that is unrelated to the question if the chart isn't radical. Otherwise, what you are describing likely isn't related to the question. But I believe you are on the right track, trying to trace down the "why he just isn't into me," and the "what am I going to do in the meantime" that is the reality of practicing horary astrology. It isn't just a simple yes/no. Querents really want to know "why" and "what else."

ChildOfVenus

So what would it mean if there was an opposition aspect between Moon and Mercury. But it's applying and Moon is in Cancer and Mercury is in Capricorn? Also why wouldn't Venus in Gemini and Mercury in Taurus be in reception when Gemini is linked to Mercury and Venus is linked to Taurus?

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member
So what would it mean if there was an opposition aspect between Moon and Mercury. But it's applying and Moon is in Cancer and Mercury is in Capricorn?

Moon in domicile is pushing nature and power, but has no management over Capricorn. Mercury in Capricorn is going to reject what the Moon is pushing.

Oppositions are contest or compromise; reception will give clues as to which it is.

Also why wouldn't Venus in Gemini and Mercury in Taurus be in reception when Gemini is linked to Mercury and Venus is linked to Taurus?

Because reception requires an aspect; Taurus and Gemini are in aversion to each other. Rather then mutual reception, we call this "generosity."