Surya Siddhanta --> Anyone???

midi

Does anyone know anything about Surya Siddhanta and SSS ayanamsa?

(P.S. Srry was feeling little awkward to describe everything, so I edited the post.
:-] :-] )

Last edited:

Virinchi

comparing two methods in astrology is like comparing two religions.
vedic astro itself has many ayanamsas and methods
its like.. you're a christian, but catholic or protestant ??
its your choice... test every possible method (if you have patience) and stick to the most accurate one which satisfies you.
for more on Surya Siddantha

Crystalpages

Dear Midi ji,

Mr. Vinay Jha who may or may not be a member here, has been writing and researching extensively on a variety of Jyotish topics including Surya Samhita, and as well is a scholar in Sanskrit, a linguist and teacher of many. He has also authored a free software named Kundalee. You could google it if interested. Many of his recommendations were in the past year or two incorporated in P.V.R. Narasimha Rao's software JHORA and are available as 'vinay jha's options', if you wish to look up.

There is a concept in Jyotish which depicts the planets (grahas) as Devas. I wonder if there is a connection there with SS calculations which differ from the more modern, astronomically updated routines that most software use and which modern ephemerides are based upon.

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

dr. farr

The concept is intriguing: precession is not considered in the calculations, rather a shifting between a sidereal ecliptic longitude and a tropical ecliptic longitude is considered, with what's called a "trepidation" which rises from 0 to +27, then declines back to 0 and further to -27 (degrees) over a cycle of time. Clearly this concept is NOT based on ASTRONOMY (because even in those ancient times we now know that they did know about and have very close to exact calculations for precession-yet this data was NOT applied to ASTROLOGICAL calculations, the SS ayanamsa concept was-and was much advocated by Vahamirihira in his writings of the 6th century AD) Also, a movement of 54 seconds per year was used for calculations (additions of 54 seconds during the "+" period of 1800 years, subtractions of 54 seconds during the "-" period of 1800 years) rather than the ASTRONOMICALLY correct precession rate of 52.248 seconds per year.

So, when is the "start" year (year 0) for calculation of these "trepidations" (the Surya Siddhanta ayanamsa)??

THAT, of course, is a major question!

However, it has long (since the time of Aryabhatya) been held that 490 AD is "ground zero" for the current cycle: to make a by-hand calculation of the SSA (Surya Siddhanta ayanamsa) then:
1) subtract 490 from the given year
2) multiply the result by 54
3) divide the product by 3600 (number of seconds in 1 degree)
4) this = the ayanamsa for the given year
As of 2014 this = 22 degrees 51 minutes

The trepidation cycle will reverse (and begin decreasing from its maximum of +27 degrees)) after 2299 AD.

Interesting!!-and actually quite important relative to oldtime (through the 19th century) Vedic astrological practice-this oldtime concept is coming up, somewhat, again particularly among those going "back" to the old Vedic classics for their guidance; however, the great (perhaps I should say, vast) majority stilluse the Lahiri (taken from the Chitra) ayanamsa, or the KP, or the Raman.

Me? I'm a "sayana", even when applying Vedic concepts and techniques, so I cannot render an informed-by-experience opinion, regarding the matter of ayanamsa...

Last edited:

Crystalpages

Yes Dr. Farr, ayanamsha is almost like a credit card debt that gets paid in instalments and never seems to diminish and go away <LOL>

I am not too well versed in the Ganit skandha and have always relied on ephemeris, tables of ascendants and houses, and now software (non SSS), but it did sound a completely different approach. Those who have utilized it (traditional way or software like Kundalee and JHORA) alone would be able to tell about it.

In Usha-sashi's book on vedic jyotish calculations, I recall them mentioning (with a long table too) how over a period of time, the annual rate of recession varies cyclically, as you mentioned or similar. According to them the rate of precession is not 54" per year but currently around 50.xxx which is what many use (software etc). It is a very slow regression and who knows at the time when SS got formulated (verbal or written), it might indeed have been 54 and so that was used.

Sorry, I cannot be more helpful about that method.

Regards,
Rohiniranjan