Ability to speak several languages

R4VEN

let me disagree...i`ve studied intellect professionally and there are several types of intellect-linguistic intelligence, logical/mathematical intelligence, musical intelligence, etc..so if person isn`t good at languages that doesn`t mean that he/she hasn`t intellect!!! it`s wrong statement!
As a result of my many years as an educator (and even more as an observer of humans) I have to agree with you, Tamara.

One of my brothers has a PhD in mathematics - no problems with intelligence - but he has always found languages to be a struggle, so much so that he sticks to English only, even though he has worked extensively (in short-term contracts) throughout south-east Asia.

I have many many other examples. Just too tired right now to go into details.

Tamara

As a result of my many years as an educator (and even more as an observer of humans) I have to agree with you, Tamara.

One of my brothers has a PhD in mathematics - no problems with intelligence - but he has always found languages to be a struggle, so much so that he sticks to English only, even though he has worked extensively (in short-term contracts) throughout south-east Asia.

I have many many other examples. Just too tired right now to go into details.

it`s allready proven that there are different types of intelligence! so unability in one field doesn`t mean the lack of intellect!

Frisiangal

Bob wrote:
There's no mystery here. Language is Mercury.

All you have to do is assess the intellect of the Native. The Native either has the intellect or he doesn't, and if the Native doesn't have the intellect, he probably can't speak, read or write his language well either.

I agree that 'the word' comes through Mercury.
Would a lack of intellect therefore impair the mentality in relating to another through the spoken word?

Mercury also shows the 'general interest' in relating to another through word.

I've mentioned my MENSA-gifted Gemini Sun sister on several occasions. She has Mercury at the beginning of Cancer with only a sextile to Uranus in Taurus. No birth time, I'm afraid. Her life's careers (banking, hotelling, real estate) have been involved with relating and selling to people on a one-to-one level. Her school French is long forgotten. 17 or more years of holidaying in Spain and all she can say is 'una sangria por favor'.:biggrin:
Although she has the intellect, she has never shown any interest whatsoever in learning a foreign language. I often wonder if it is because of Mercury's position in a sign related to 'home issues', thus a position/aspect that relates to 'foreign interest' would be evident in those who find talking in all its facets so fascinating.

P.S. Just remembered that she recently acquired a computer from a friend who no longer used it. Internet has opened a new world to her. The only problem is that all the instructions are in Spanish!!! She is now learning a foreign language. The effect of transit Pluto to her Mercury-Uranus?????

Last edited:

Pepperpot

Hello to you all!
this post caught my attention so I thought I'd reply.
My mercury is in fall pisces...in the 4th house. Inconjunct jupiter in the 9th house (leo). My 9th house ruler is the moon in libra 1th house and 3rd house ruler, venus is in the 2nd Taurus. 9th house ruler (moon) squares both ruler of 3rd (venus) & jupiter.

I speak 2 languages other than my mother tongue and understand another and I am currently learning another. I learnt the languages by spending time in the countries and their people> I am not at all academic but rather have a good memory.

Jupiter in my chart is the handle of my bucket chart.

Attachments

• equal house natal.jpg
    equal house natal.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 28

BobZemco

I agree that 'the word' comes through Mercury.
Would a lack of intellect therefore impair the mentality in relating to another through the spoken word?

No, the ability to relate is based on the Moon and other factors. I'm sure you've seen people of great intelligence who are cold and emotionless, and then those who can only communicate with people by screaming at them, and then those who can communicate with others on any level.

I've mentioned my MENSA-gifted Gemini Sun sister on several occasions. 17 or more years of holidaying in Spain and all she can say is 'una sangria por favor'.

Tell her to quit hanging out with the Dutch and Brits at Sgt Pepper's in Lloret de Mar. They're a bad influence.

Although she has the intellect, she has never shown any interest whatsoever in learning a foreign language. I often wonder if it is because of Mercury's position in a sign related to 'home issues', thus a position/aspect that relates to 'foreign interest' would be evident in those who find talking in all its facets so fascinating.

Having the intellect only means she has the capability to learn foreign languages, not that she will learn foreign languages. Some people have great ability in math but absolutely hate mathematics, science and engineering. There are people who are gifted singers or musicians, but have no desire to perform professionally, or in a group or even perform at all.

Tamara said:
it`s allready proven that there are different types of intelligence! so unability in one field doesn`t mean the lack of intellect!

Intellect and intelligence are not the same thing.

One may possess great intellect and not be at all intelligent.

R4VEN said:

Well, you're equivocating intellect with intelligence. IQ = Intelligence Quotient, not Intellect Quotient. I don't believe it would be possible to measure or quantify someone's intellect.

Since Mercury is also the general significator for mathematics (and all sciences) your brother probably has a very strong Mercury, and there is some connection with Mars or Saturn (who are probably either the Chart Almuten, Chart Ruler, Ascendant Ruler, Term/Triplicity Ruler of the Ascendant, Dispostor or aspected to Mercury), which would show he has the intellect for math, but not for languages.

dr. farr

Mercury, certainly, significator of the Mind considered as a unity, and its communications within itself and with other Minds and with the World; but I follow the old-timers (Culpeper and earlier authorities) in mentioning-in addition to Mercury-other key significators including Jupiter as significator for the "reasoning" processes of Mind, and Saturn as significator for the memory, without which learning is inhibited, if not impossible.

scorpittarian

mercury in sagittarius in 10H.
out of sign conjunct pluto
out of sign square saturn.
conj venus/nnode.

mercury rules my 5H/8H.....

3H cusp in aries
9H cusp in libra
jupiter in the 9th.
mars & venus in sag in the 11th & 10th resp.

im multilingual(around 6 langues)....n pick up things really fast esp languages & technology(i always top these 2 without working at them while everyone else is slogging n slogging) - ..i lack musical intelligence though..tried learning the guitar but got bored n gave up after a month n its strange cz ive neptune rising n quite a few neptunian connections.....:pouty:..
absolutely uninterested in math n science(excpt bio :love:)...plain boring n pointless in my opinion......let the atoms fly over my head & i aint wasting any time behind an 'x'...

i dont think its tough learning any subject(language here) as long as u want to....thats what we do in school all the time to get passing marks atleast.

Vagabondgirl

eh.. i am polyglot .. my mercury and jupiter very active and strong ... i think 3rd and 9th house are your power houses also look into if lord of 9th and 3rd should be well placed and well aspected..

I speak 3 fluently, 1 ok for communication and the last one I understand some but dont know so much vocabulary. Also a 5th language that I know a little from school, I can read much better than understand it spoken. I was bilingual as a kid too:D I did quite well at foreign languages, but not in litterature. I have zero imagination for writing short stories and so on:/

I lived in 2 foreign countries in my short life.

According to the equal chart I have Jupiter in the 9th house of Aquarius, its in mutual reception to my 7th house Uranus in Sagi.

Jupiter trines AC, trine moon (wide orb), Square my Mercury/Pluto conjunction in the 6th.

AC is gemini....And my mum said I learnt to speak at an early age compared to the rest of the flock.