Transits of Chiron

SunW

What are your observations on the transits of Chiron in your natal chart?

Chiron is a centaur, a healer, a teacher in astrology, martial arts, medicine, alternative healing. He had an wound on his leg that could not be healed.

Chiron can make a person a good astrologer, a healer, a doctor, someone that works in the military.

It can give someone healing or an wound.

It gives problems with the legs or hips.

waybread

I used to ignore Chiron until sometime around 2006 when I slipped on some ice and broke my ankle. I couldn't figure it out from ordinary transits or progressions until I saw transiting Chiron conjunct my natal Mercury in Aquarius. Mercury rules walking and Aquarius rules the ankles.

I understand Chiron more metaphorically as giving either physical or emotional "wounds that don't heal," but where, if we stay open to those hurts, we gain in wisdom and compassion.

david starling

In the ancient tales, Chiron betrayed his healing abilities by teaching warriors, including Hercules, archery for use in battle. He also supplied Hercules with deadly poison-tipped arrows, for which there was no antidote. As the half-mortal son of Saturn, god of misfortune, wise Chiron should have known enough to have been more careful, because it was Hercules, well known for his careless behavior, who accidentally shot him.

So, Chiron's fate is cautionary: Carefully consider your actions, lest you yourself become a victim of them.

Chiron is currently in Aries, so stay cool, and don't go losing your head!

And, c.t., be prepared to protect your wheat crop from fire damage.

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

Thanks for the tip David. Apparently the mods thought I was being sarcastic because I don't see my post anymore but truly, the transit probably means my yield is ******.

waybread

Chiron shows by house where a non-healing emotional wound lies.

Mine is in the third house.

My sister, (late) brother, and I were generally on good terms as adults, but I had to realize many times over not to look to them for warm fuzzy emotional support.

Other things, sure-- and I give them high marks for other aspects of our relationship.

IleneK

Premium Member
In the ancient tales, Chiron betrayed his healing abilities by teaching warriors, including Hercules, archery for use in battle. He also supplied Hercules with deadly poison-tipped arrows, for which there was no antidote. As the half-mortal son of Saturn, god of misfortune, wise Chiron should have known enough to have been more careful, because it was Hercules, well known for his careless behavior, who accidentally shot him.

So, Chiron's fate is cautionary: Carefully consider your actions, lest you yourself become a victim of them.

Hi, David,

Just to clarify about the Chiron myth, I have never heard a rendering to describe him as having betrayed anything.

Here is the story I have heard through the years:

According to archaic myth, Chiron was sired by the Saturn who had taken the form of a horse and impregnated a nymph, Philyra. Soon after giving birth to Chiron, Philyra abandoned her child out of shame and disgust. Chiron, effectively orphaned, was later found and fostered by the Sun god Apollo, who taught him the art of music, lyre, archery, medicine and prophecy. Apollo's twin sister, Artemis, trained him in archery and hunting. Chiron's uniquely peaceful character, kindness, and intelligence are attributed to Apollo and Artemis' nature.

He did not teach others to use poison-tipped arrows. He was accidentally struck by one from which he could not heal, since he was part divine. It was not until the gods finally allowed him to die and be placed into the heavens that his undeserved suffering and wounding ceased.

Chiron was a great healer and respected oracle and was said to be the first among centaurs and highly revered as a teacher and tutor.

david starling

Hi, David,

Just to clarify about the Chiron myth, I have never heard a rendering to describe him as having betrayed anything.

According to archaic myth, Chiron was sired by the Saturn who had taken the form of a horse and impregnated a nymph, Philyra. Soon after giving birth to Chiron, Philyra abandoned her child out of shame and disgust. Chiron, effectively orphaned, was later found and fostered by the Sun god Apollo, who taught him the art of music, lyre, archery, medicine and prophecy. Apollo's twin sister, Artemis, trained him in archery and hunting. Chiron's uniquely peaceful character, kindness, and intelligence are attributed to Apollo and Artemis' nature.

He did not teach others to use poison-tipped arrows. He was accidentally struck by one from which he could not heal, since he was part divine. It was not until the gods finally allowed him to die and be placed into the heavens that his undeserved suffering and wounding ceased.

Chiron was a great healer and respected oracle and was said to be the first among centaurs and highly revered as a teacher and tutor.

He was, like his mentor Apollo, both a healer and an archer. He was the only peaceful Centaur, with the rest constantly at war with one another.

david starling

I read somewhere, can't remember where, that Chiron himself concocted the poison*, and made it available to Hercules to fight off attacks from the Centaurs, who were of an entirely different sort from Chiron, but looked just like him. Hercules shot Chiron entirely by mistake.

Here's an interesting perspective I haven't seen before, with a very positive message:

https://www.nicolatannion.com/news/2020/5/21/chiron-the-art-of-turning-poison-into-medicine

*Correction: Chiron did NOT concoct the poison that Hercules used against the violent Centaurs. Sorry for the mistaken memory. :eek:

Last edited:

david starling

I stand corrected!

Reliable sources say that Hercules himself obtained the poison, from the blood of the monstrous, many-headed serpent "Hydra".

Last edited:

david starling

In the ancient tales, Chiron betrayed his healing abilities by teaching warriors, including Hercules, archery for use in battle. As the half-mortal son of Saturn, god of misfortune, wise Chiron should have known enough to have been more careful, because it was Hercules, well known for his careless behavior, who accidentally shot him.

I have to correct the statement that Chiron supplied the poison to Hercules, so I've removed it from this post.

However, in addition to healing, Chiron DID teach Hercules and other Greek heroes archery for use in combat.

david starling

Hi, David,

A healer who teaches the use of a deadly weapon of warfare seems to me to be working at cross purposes.

IleneK

Premium Member
A healer who teaches the use of a deadly weapon of warfare seems to me to be working at cross purposes.

You know as well as any, my friend, that life is complex and paradoxical. Like being a wounded healer. :smile:
I certainly don't suggest he was beyond reproach or a perfect healer. After all he was only part divine. The other part was centaur.

But there is no betrayal in the story. That was my point.

Thank you for your thoughtful responses, David.

david starling

Hercules also died from the Hydra's poisonous blood. Like Chiron, Hercules was half mortal, but his father was Zeus, who placed him in the sky as the constellation Hercules.

Chiron's mother was also a mortal, but his father was Cronus (Saturn to the Romans). After his death, Zeus/Jupiter placed him in the sky as the constellation Sagittarius.

Here's a variation: There are two constellations imaged as Centaurs, Sagittarius and Centaurus. Some say that Sagittarius honors Chiron, others say it's Centaurus.

The difference is, that Sagittarius is about archery, for which Chiron was renowned.

Centaurus holds a spear, instead of a bow, and Chiron was a hunter, as well as an archer.

So, it's a choice between the two!

Last edited:

Frisiangal

What effect does (transiting) Chiron have?
Just read all the Chiron review posts in the 'tags' at bottom of this topic.
I've lived with a partile Chiron-BML-Asc., the most aspected of all configurations in my chart, all my life :whistling:.
My contribution(s) are somewhere amongst them.:smile:

IleneK

Premium Member
Most of the major ancient Greek myths had multiple versions.

A super site that compiles them by diety is www.theoi.com .

Thank you for this, waybread.
It relates the myth as
Kheiron was a renowned teacher who mentored many of the greatest heroes of myth ... [and]
was accidentally wounded by Herakles when the hero was battling other members of the tribe. The wound, poisoned with Hydra-venom, was incurable, and suffering unbearable pain Kheiron voluntarily relinquished his immortality. Zeus then placed him amongst the stars as the constellation Sagittarius or Centaurus.