Does south node represent karma or your past life/ past lives?

YonyGursho

I was just wondering if it represents your past life or your past lives or if it simply represents what you've achieved in this life so far as well as in other lives (if you have lived other lives that is).

SunConjunctUranus

As far as I know, south node represent "comfort zone" in modern astrological description. How you define "karma" btw. Seems to me, it's Jyotish's vocabulary.

SunConjunctUranus

Yony,

Sorry, dude. I'm not particulary using the nodes, so maybe there are some "modern" expert would give you an answers. Though historically speaking, the nodes originated from Persian and then transmitted to Indian. There was a Britsh astrologer, named Sir William Lilly (17th Century CE), who refered South Node and North Node as Dragon's Tail and Head respectively. The book is worth for reading and it's also free.
Christian Astrology

YonyGursho

Yony,

Sorry, dude. I'm not particulary using the nodes, so maybe there are some "modern" expert would give you an answers. Though historically speaking, the nodes originated from Persian and then transmitted to Indian. There was a Britsh astrologer, named Sir William Lilly (17th Century CE), who refered South Node and North Node as Dragon's Tail and Head respectively. The book is worth for reading and it's also free.
Christian Astrology

I see. Thank you

Eanahsti

From what I read, I believe the south node represents the characteristics of your past life.
My mom and my sister’s birth chart low-key supports it.
(This is what my mom told me)
So my mom went to a psychic because her life was sort of on a rollercoaster at that time (she birthed my older sister at a pretty young age and the father did not stay to support her). The psychic told my mom that my older sister was actually my mom’s younger sister in their past lives.
I got into astrology about 7 months ago and until i researched their birth charts (about 6 months ago) and asked them about it was when I found out my mom went to the psychic. There’s more to it, but I figure it won’t relate so,
I’ll talk about something that does.
My older sister’s north node is in the 1st house which would mean her south node is in the 7th. She is inclined to helping others and making them her number one priority. She doesn’t have too much time for herself. Her career path is going towards occupational therapy because our grandma is physically handicapped. Right now she is doing a job that takes care of a boy who is autistic. She is an amazing person, but she has to learn that the person she really needs to care for is herself.
That is all I can say about the south node based on my sister’s experiences. I hope this helps!

CapAquaPis

My SN is 29' Aquarius 3 degrees behind my sun in 26' and moon in 20' - close to the sun and the moon in my case, does it describe my life is similar to this one? I say No, points to my True Node in 29' Leo opposite my solar and lunar signs. Does anyone know what the SN conjunct Sun and Moon does to me?

soul9

Yes, south node represents area of life that we have already achieved in past life. When we are assigned a work where ever our south node is placed we will do it with minimum effort or supervision. But we will not enjoy doing it. Because we are born to do do what our north node represents. It represents our desires of this life. And we are still in learning stage regarding the life area represented by our north node.

Forgotten Warrior

Yes, south node represents area of life that we have already achieved in past life. When we are assigned a work where ever our south node is placed we will do it with minimum effort or supervision. But we will not enjoy doing it. Because we are born to do do what our north node represents. It represents our desires of this life. And we are still in learning stage regarding the life area represented by our north node.

Beautifully said.

CapAquaPis

The 9th and 10th houses where the MC is can tell a story of a past life as well. My Mercury in Pisces at a malefic (13') and the feminine energy of Pallas (29' Pisces), Eros (2' Aries), Venus (7' Aries), Eris (14' Aries) and Ceres (21' Aries) proved my theory of being a 20-something-year-old woman in South Vietnam killed on the day the North took over the country (late April 1975). The SN in Aquarius and MC in Aries (both near cusps of Pisces in 9th) described a life that ended when she was young, opposite my "gains" in True/North node-29' Leo.

Mister Skeleton

The South Node is an area of life that comes naturally to you. It shows what your natural talents are, what you can develop without much effort. For example, I have the South Node in Gemini so writing and languages come naturally to me. Supposedly, this is because you developed these qualities in a past life or past lives. Unfortunately, from what I've noticed, it can also be an area of life that comes with karmic baggage and doesn't feel satisfying when you partake in the activities it represents, it leaves you feeling 'empty'.

To get an idea of what I mean by karmic baggage. I've known some people who had their Taurus South Node ruler, Venus, squaring Saturn at an exact degree. Another one who has their South Node in Libra and has Saturn in the 7th house. Another one with South Node in Scorpio who has their Saturn in Scorpio And in my case, I have South Node in Gemini and I have Saturn in the 3rd house. I've had problems communicating with people growing up because of a language barrier. Still kind of have that problem, but it's gotten better with age.
Basically, the South Node ruler might be badly aspected or might be receiving a harsh aspect from Saturn, Saturn might be in the sign of the south node or the house naturally ruled by the South Node ruler might have Saturn in it. It's not always the case, but I've seen it a lot.

Of course, I'm not saying that it always comes with karmic baggage. If past lives are real, then your south node ruler might still be well placed and in 'good condition', but it will still feel rather empty to do the south node activities.

Last edited:

ardentika

Nodes have been something that fascinated me for a long time. To me, I've realized nothing to be true written on the internet.

I don't see SN as karma, to me it's just another supportive thing of the node. Because opposite signs are a different side of the same coin, so it doesn't make sense to me for one to be karma or past life.

Even though I don't have planets on my SN, I can't say I've been fully comfortable with every aspect of it. Nodes in general are very uncomfortable, SN or NN, it doesn't really matter. I've seen some suggest that the nodes show your karma as a soul, and not every person ever walks their that path in every life time. It's the ultimate growth. I don't know if that's true, I think it's very individual.

But to me nodes support each other. For people who have planets on SN it would be the NN that's helping the SN, hence they help each other. And vice versa.

I have Taurus on SN, I wasn't born in wealth, I've always been keen on arts, but I can't say I was naturally talanted. I couldn't sing properly, I couldn't draw properly, I never had an outstanding talent, but I liked doing it. It was hard work for me to get there. I also have Venus on NN. So again I don't feel anything of that to be "natural talent" for me or "given" if that makes sense.

But I guess it's all a matter of belief. I believe past lives could exist, but I don't see it being helpful to focus on them for obvious reasons.

Again, if the south node would be past life, something we have to leave, it doesn't make sense that the NN would be it's oppositional sign, since they are legit the same thing. I've seen people in their 50s who are still jumping between SN and NN. They just feel like scales that we try to balance.

IleneK

Premium Member
SN is what we bring into this life. It is was we know about. If you believe in past lives, then it is what you garnered then. If you do not believe in past lives, you can look at SN as genetic inheritance. In any case, it is what you bring when you enter this life.

NN is what you are in this life to learn. As Ardentika points out, SN and NN are two sides of the same coin, which is our life's unfolding as illustrated through the intersection of the energies of Sun, Moon and Earth.

As in,
The lunar nodes are the two points where the Moon's orbital path crosses the ecliptic, which is the Sun's apparent [from the perspective from Earth] yearly path.
We are always living both NN and SN, flowing back and forth between them. As we are with the chart in its entirety, flowing amongst all its energies.

Last edited:

ardentika

It's funny because I've read on many sources basically "SN = BAD" and "NN = GOOD" and I used to actually believe that until experience haha. I wonder where that comes from.

petosiris

Banned
It's funny because I've read on many sources basically "SN = BAD" and "NN = GOOD" and I used to actually believe that until experience haha. I wonder where that comes from.

In the Northern Hemisphere, the north node is ascending, and the south node is descending, that is where it comes from.

Irisiel

No one's mentioned this yet, so I will.

I came here trying to interpret a synastry, a person whose presence I've felt all my life, been drawn to, almost seem to turn with respect to, though we were only ever schoolmates & acquaintances. The first time I checked out astrology 30+ years ago there was nothing in our charts to explain it.

Jump ahead to today and I start to learn about Chiron & Black Moon Lilith & the Nodes.

First I observed that 4 of her planets had conjunctions or opposites to my BML (our BMLs are conjunct bc we're born 39 days apart). Then I found out that would mean she was drawn to ME; no help.

Then it finally dawned on me: her Moon and her South Node are right on my South Node, which is also conjunct my IC, and conjunct my Lilith which is conjunct her Lilith on the other side.

I have not yet been able to parse all this. But the one thing that comes up again & again is how someone conjunct my SN is going to feel very familiar. If you believe in past lives it means you had a relationship before.

Familiar, okay; still trying to explain the fascination, like she has something I'm missing.

Osamenor

Staff member
Familiar, okay; still trying to explain the fascination, like she has something I'm missing.

That's probably not really a south node question. If you feel like someone has something you're missing, the most likely astrological explanation is that their chart completes yours, in some sense. Maybe they have lots of placements in elements where you have little or nothing. Maybe a part of the zodiac that's empty in your chart is occupied in theirs. Maybe your temperaments, which can be calculated based on certain chart factors, balance each other.

This could be so even with the familiarity you describe, and even if the explanation that you've been together in past lives holds water for you.

People the same age always have nodes conjunct each other's. That alone doesn't explain the attraction, or you'd have that with all your classmates. Moon on south node adds a strong note of familiarity, since not only can south node represent the familiar, Moon definitely does.

Last edited:

Irisiel

That's probably not really a south node question. If you feel like someone has something you're missing, the most likely astrological explanation is that their chart completes yours, in some sense. Maybe they have lots of placements in elements where you have little or nothing. Maybe a part of the zodiac that's empty in your chart is occupied in theirs. Maybe your temperaments, which can be calculated based on certain chart factors, balance each other.

This could be so even with the familiarity you describe, and even if the explanation that you've been together in past lives holds water for you.

People the same age always have nodes conjunct each other's. That alone doesn't explain the attraction, or you'd have that with all your classmates. Moon on south node adds a strong note of familiarity, since not only can south node represent the familiar, Moon definitely does.

Thanks much, Osamenor! I'll check all this out.

Our composite has Venus tightly conjunct Mars. Her only personal planet connection.

I think most of the rest can be explained by my 12th House stellium conjunction including Pluto conjunct Sun = obsessing over secret things.

I always just thought I was very determined, but in retrospect I can see a tendency to obsess, everything is a mental puzzle (Pluto conjunct Mercury and Uranus) that I can unravel, given enough time.

Thanks! =)

Last edited:

chiamaria

It's possible that it represents your comfort zone because it's what you played out in your past lives a lot. Me personally, I have South node in 2nd house and I'm very good with money, for sure. I even love putting together an excel spreadsheet and calculating income and expenses! I do, at the end of the day, have north node in 8th House though, which means I'm supposed to share resources with another and have a super intimate relationship, and I do feel drawn to my 8th house tbh.

I have two friends who have their North and south nodes reversed from mine. They have 8th house south node, and boy do they like their sex, and historically they haven't been the best with amassing resources. :lol: :lol:

I'm their 2nd house teacher and they're my 8th house teachers :biggrin:

Last edited: