Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Dignities & debilities

Dignities & debilities Board for discussing planets in dignities and debilities in natal charts.

Unread 02-26-2014, 07:45 AM

Re: Mercury in Sagittarius??

I've also heard Mercury in Sag is good for foreign languages. Its probably because since Sagittarius is the master of foreign lands it probably speaks better in a foreign language than in it's own native tongue!

Unread 03-08-2014, 08:01 PM

Mercury in Sagittarius is a weird one. Remember, Mercury is in detriment in this sign and it has problems being itself.

Mercury is detailed, technical intellect and in detriment Mercury cannot handle those things.

So what happens?

Attention to detail goes out of the window, the mind because active and jumpy and it makes huge intuitive leaps rather than well thought out distinctions and theories. It's good for more abstract subjects, but terrible for detail oriented stuff. That's why Mercury in Sagittarius can look scatter brained; their thought processes are working so quickly and with so little caution that it jumps from point A to point Z without considering anything in between. This Mercury is also a tad on the random/unstable side, but still quite sharp and able to find real, abstract truths.

In short; Mercury in Gemini and Virgo are your scientists, Mercury in Sagittarius is your philosopher.

Last edited by sworm09; 03-08-2014 at 08:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sworm09 For This Useful Post:
moonris3 (03-12-2017)
Unread 03-08-2016, 03:04 AM

Huh? It sounds like you described Mercury opposition or square Jupiter. You're exaggerating the placement quite a bit lol

Conspiracy theorists is the Queen of Mercury in Sagittarius on this forum. We should all await for his input as his input is the official say on this thread
Unread 03-08-2016, 03:09 AM

Queen? What are you smoking?

Mercury in Sag is a stoner's placement. See Bunraku's comment above
Unread 03-08-2016, 03:17 AM

And said Her Majesty... and her is edict official. Everyone may rise and kneel

Some pertinent data to appease the local volcano gods :

Sir Isaac Newton had Mercury in Sagittarius
http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Newton,_Isaac
Unread 03-08-2016, 03:22 AM

Gotta hand it to my fellow Swagittarius, her teasing game is pretty good.

Mercury in Sag, just like Mercury in Pisces can result in a number of ways. But since it's in a Jupiterian sign the mind would be more inclined to the bigger picture and not necessarily the nitty-gritty.

Last edited by conspiracy theorist; 03-08-2016 at 03:26 AM. Reason: error
Unread 03-08-2016, 03:27 AM

What if the rest of the chart is involved? Sometimes those little peripheral things get in the way of discussion...

Just kidding of course ! Of course I am..please volcano mods don't reign fire down on me I'm innocent.

🌋🌋🌋

Anyways ...

Sagittarius has a human portion and a beast portion. Mercury in these places will further color its interpretation
Unread 03-08-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunraku View Post
By the way, there is this rumor going around that Mercury in Sag are good at learning languages. Is this true?
It certainly seems to be working for me. I am German and after one year in England people thought I was from South Africa. I became fluent and lost my accent quickly. Spanish came easily, too, but disappeared quickly because I didn't use it.

French was never my language though. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworm09 View Post
Mercury in Sagittarius is a weird one. Remember, Mercury is in detriment in this sign and it has problems being itself.

Mercury is detailed, technical intellect and in detriment Mercury cannot handle those things.

So what happens?

Attention to detail goes out of the window, the mind because active and jumpy and it makes huge intuitive leaps rather than well thought out distinctions and theories. It's good for more abstract subjects, but terrible for detail oriented stuff. That's why Mercury in Sagittarius can look scatter brained; their thought processes are working so quickly and with so little caution that it jumps from point A to point Z without considering anything in between. This Mercury is also a tad on the random/unstable side, but still quite sharp and able to find real, abstract truths.

In short; Mercury in Gemini and Virgo are your scientists, Mercury in Sagittarius is your philosopher.
I am just about to finish my training as a software developer (programmer). I love it, but I prefer to develop concepts (theoretical, big picture) or program the user interface, because I get instant visual feedback whether what I'm doing works or not, resulting in regular and frequent successes. As soon as I have to go deeper into the code, the nitty gritty details, I stop having fun. It bores me to tears. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist View Post
Queen? What are you smoking?

Mercury in Sag is a stoner's placement. See Bunraku's comment above
Bwahahaha! Check!

AC
, in 5th, , ,

Last edited by Aeryn; 03-08-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Unread 03-08-2016, 07:01 AM

Post your chart Aeryn

For an astrology forum we don't usually have any charts. We've been out and dry, a natal chart drought!
Unread 03-08-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Post your chart Aeryn

For an astrology forum we don't usually have any charts. We've been out and dry, a natal chart drought!
Uh... is this my Sag-Merc not getting the joke? (My chart is in my signature. ^^)

But certainly can't have that! Have at it! I am always happy to be analysed!

AC
, in 5th, , ,

Last edited by Aeryn; 03-08-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Unread 03-08-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiacal View Post
When I talk to other people, they say that I talk confusingly and its true coz I can also feel it.

Do you think that being a scorpio, that's why all the things inside my mind, I don't just say it? That I am just silent. Preferring to listen than to talk.

But how do you think will these affect me?

Mercury Sextile Jupiter

Mercury Trine Midheaven

So in summary :

I am a silent person, I don't just talk. But when I talk, I will talk like being in a confusion like the uhmss.. like that.
I just have a comment for your first question and since it's just one anecdotal experience, it doesn't explain why you prefer to listen rather than talk.

I have a son who's a Scorpio/Sun and Sagittarius/Mercury and he talks all the time! Interrupts people all the time. I'm the same (but Sun/Moon/Mercury conj. Capricorn) so maybe he just takes after me. He talks more about experiences and feelings, I tend to talk about things and ideas. Sadly, neither of us are good listeners. If there's an aspect for good listening skills, then that's one I'd like! Though I'd like to believe I don't interrupt as much as my son. I should add that my son also has Venus and Pluto in Sagittarius.

One thing my son's said that really resonates with me is that he has it all up in his head and it's all orderly and makes perfectly sense there, it just comes out jumbled because he can't prioritize what to share and in which order. +1!

Sometimes I think I notice that people with charts that appear very similar on the surface, are very different due to belonging to different generations, so the generational planets make different aspects to their personal planets. I'm not an astrologer though, so I can't give a more educated response.
Unread 03-08-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Post your chart Aeryn

Thanks, I'm having a slightly off day and this just cracked me up!

Some of us would love to post charts but either the style is wrong, the size is wrong or the format's wrong. I'm just not pc literate enough for this site.

I don't have Mercury in Sagittarius but I've been asked more than once if I have Mercury in Sagittarius. My Scorpio son who has Mercury in Sagittarius has the same communication style as me and the same intonation as well. I'm not going to post his chart here but mine's on my profile in gallery or something.
Unread 03-08-2016, 06:24 PM

Yes well I'm on mobile so I can't see signatures or groups lol

I think I'll be stuck this way. I can't for the life of me figure out my password and am hoping this mobile device never logs me out.
Unread 04-10-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieta1990 View Post
... I find their propensity to gloss over details in order to assert an ideal troubling. The also have a propensity to stretch the truth or disregard important distinctions and also a very stubborn when wrong.
I would never make such generalized accusations, especially not in a topic that's like to be read by people with exactly that constellation. Not worried at all about offending anyone it seems. Luckily I am always up for a bit of self exploration..
I myself am definitely not stubborn when wrong. However, I do fight/argue for my theories until they are proven wrong. That leads to me putting my theories out there - in order to test them and give others the opportunity to prove me wrong. This is quite often misunderstood.

"Gloss over details in order to assert an ideal..." Where do you get that from? Can't even think of a single example. Care to elaborate?

"Disregard important distinctions" - maybe these distinctions are too important to you? Communication is always based on a common code. Part of that code can be "I'm not going to waste my breath for making distinctions that I'm sure you know I know."
My partner has Mercury in Libra. When we are tired we both become less in control over what we say. This results in me being less careful and more emotional with my expressions. That triggers him to correct me like "you can't say that like that, because..." And he goes on this monologue to explain which cases are exempt from my earlier comment. Then I get annoyed cause I perceive it as a waste of time and in all honesty as offensive and my inner response is usually along the lines of "do you seriously think I don't know that? Do I have to state the obvious? Do I have to qualify and quantify everything I say? Or can we just have a conversation where you take the time to analyze what I say before jumping right into correcting me?"
Is that the kind of situation you were referring to?

Quote:
Yes well I'm on mobile so I can't see signatures or groups lol

I think I'll be stuck this way. I can't for the life of me figure out my password and am hoping this mobile device never logs me out.
Ah, I see. Here is mine: http://www.aerynmartin.com/nerd/aery...l_placidus.gif

AC
, in 5th, , ,
Unread 04-21-2016, 11:18 AM

Mercury in Sagittarius often seems so imaginative, colorful and often poetic. There's nothing wrong with my imagination (despite stereotypes about Merc.Cap) but I can't write poetry or lyrics to save my life. Even when relating everyday events to me, my youngest son sounds like he's telling a fairytale adventure!

Also, when they are mad, it's my experience that it's not that hard to convince them to become un-mad.

Knight's comment about throwing out statements is something I do too and my Mercury is in the 20th degree of Capricorn, too far from Sagittarius house cusp, it's in the 3rd house but maybe it's the trine to Jupiter? I've been late to realize how infuriating this is to others! I don't know why I do it, ask someone more self aware with the same tendency. Then I might be able to let you know if I think I'm doing it for the same reason.

My Sag father in-law does the same and gets the same reaction as me. He's married to/my MIL a Aquarius Sun/Mercury. They both sound stubborn but only my MIL is truly stubborn. FIL either loses interest or pretends to lose interest. Lots of conversations between us four adults end on a collective "Hmmrf!".
Unread 04-21-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacapcious View Post
Mercury in Sagittarius often seems so imaginative, colorful and often poetic. There's nothing wrong with my imagination (despite stereotypes about Merc.Cap) but I can't write poetry or lyrics to save my life. Even when relating everyday events to me, my youngest son sounds like he's telling a fairytale adventure!
I can confirm that.
Whenever I describe a situation it is very colourful or even dramatic and full of context - for some more than desired. ^^
I do write stories, songs and poems, too.

Quote:
Also, when they are mad, it's my experience that it's not that hard to convince them to become un-mad.
Also confirmed and known to be typical Sag:
Aries fires up (gets mad) and is likely to punish, but once released that fire will go out quickly (phew!).
Leo finds it hard to forgive and will hold a grudge.
Sag is the quickest to forgive - probably due to their connection to the inner child - but won't forget the hurt.

Quote:
Knight's comment about throwing out statements is something I do too and my Mercury is in the 20th degree of Capricorn, too far from Sagittarius house cusp, it's in the 3rd house but maybe it's the trine to Jupiter? I've been late to realize how infuriating this is to others! I don't know why I do it, ask someone more self aware with the same tendency. Then I might be able to let you know if I think I'm doing it for the same reason.
Sag is all about the big picture. Sag is also thought to be lucky, though I think it is more due to faith (which also happens to fall into the realm of Sag) in themselves and the universe: Fire signs are prone to act before thinking (fire = action). Sag has a great understanding of the bigger picture. Add the two together and you have someone who acts (which includes speech) before thinking and has less negative experiences with that due to their understanding of the bigger picture, which results in good instincts. So it only LOOKS like luck to those who can't see the patterns of the bigger picture as well as the Sag.

I believe myself to be less prone to that due to my Jupiter/Mars & Saturn being in the third house, which is all about the details, which may cause me to go into more detail than most Sags. ^^

AC
, in 5th, , ,

Last edited by Aeryn; 04-21-2016 at 12:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeryn For This Useful Post:
tenacapcious (04-21-2016)
Unread 11-20-2016, 09:53 AM

Works great for me.

Its at 29 degrees Sag on my MC though and almost in Cap. I wouldn't change the placement if I were given the choice, that's how much I enjoy it.

Honestly, the things other people don't like about this placement are basically the same reasons the native does like it. Like the x-ray vision aspects in Scorpio.

And with what else?? Sticking it with two generational planets for instance, really changes things all up.

(I said this over some KFC talking to a friend of mine during something super important..) - Publius
Unread 03-12-2017, 02:52 PM

I had a friend who is a Capricorn Sun, Virgo rising with Mercury in Sagittarius in 3th house.
He used to talk much, especially about his scientific hobbies, he was very intelligent and with great sense of humour but he couldn't stop himself of talking about intimate details from his personal life :P It was sometimes weird to hear about his sexual problems or toilet issues.
He could talk about it in public, he didn't realize that some topics can make an awkward atmosphere...
Another friend, Scorpio sun with Mercury and Moon in Sagittarius had exactly same problem.
Mercury in Sagittarius loves to speak lot and whatever comes to his mind, it is something that shares with Pisces.

Tags
mercury, sagittarius