Jobless in America - Tent Cities

Vista

Okay, you are not reading my posts. I stated that I started a business as an immigrant and did/do employ people. I also left a small franchise behind in England that is now owner/operated by a woman who had been on benefits. I couldn't let this thread go and be a part of AC without stating I think this is utter nonsense. My two cents, my right.

No I did read your post I forgot that part. My friend came here from Belgium and started a business that at one time employed at least a dozen people. He was deported because his Visa expired and could not get another extension. Where is the justice? Yet someone from Mexico can come here and receive government assistance, yet they let them stay.

You also aren't showing me any documentation to the contrary in regards to what is happening here in California. I have. So my "two cents" back to you is that your opinion is utter nonsense as well; my right too. You also aren't answering me on where you live and I am pretty certain it's not here or you would have said so. I am also pretty sure that you are not up on the California financial crisis or unemployment we are facing as a state. We are ranked as one of the highest percentage of unemployed states in the country. We cannot continue to support the vast number of illegal immigration we are receiving and the drain it's taking on social services.

Vista

Vista, you are upset because in common with many millions worldwide you are unemployed which is a tragedy for you - however, you are one of the fortunate ones because you have assistance from your mother. This thread is intended to focus on those who are not only unemployed but also homeless having lost everything and who have no family and/or friends with the ability to support them. It is clear you are angry with your situation, however attempting to pin the blame on "anchor babies" is missing the foundation causes of the current jobless in America and the resulting Tent Cities. For example Marks' comment

and tsmall's opinion are both full of commonsense

and did you read twelthnight's post?

This thread needs to return on track and discuss the HOMELESS who are living in Tent Cities in USA :smile:

But it is related Jupiter because many ARE living in tents and are homeless here, AND, many jobs(not one's people do not want) ARE being taken by people here illegally - hence it is a major problem and a contributing factor to this threads topic. How are people homeless? Mostly because they do not have jobs. Again, joblessness is related to the topic of tent cities/homelessness and undocumented immigrants are taking many jobs, hence people are forced into living this way. Again, I am not saying it's the only problem but IT IS a factor and California contributes a very high percentage to the US economy.

And I did read Twelthnights post, but I am certainly not going to be attacked. You seem to be ok with that for some reason. You should be asking her if she read mine because clearly she is only taking bits and pieces and latching onto this instead looking at the big picture of what is happening here.

Vista

Vista, if you would like to begin a separate thread in order to discuss immigration then do so.

However I remind you that the topic of discussion of this thread is Jobless in America - Tent Cities :smile:

Yes, that is a very good option but isn't California part of America?
icon10.gif
I think our posts are crossing. Anyway point taken, if Twelthnight isn't attacking she will not hear anything more from me either on this thread.

Mark

Vista: I think your feelings are so strong because, as you said yourself, you're living in the middle of the problem. When immersed in a problem, it becomes easy to forget that most states aren't having this problem. In fact, Northern California isn't even having this problem (at least nothing like Southern California). Here in Georgia, illegals are only easy to find at Home Depot. In fact, we've been suffering from not enough illegals! In Georgia and Florida, there was literally fruit left to rot in the fields last year because there weren't enough hands to pick them. It seems your side of the country is getting all the illegal immigrants for some reason.

Let's also remember that we have, more than once in America history, declared that all illegals immigrants in the country are legal citizens. The last time this was proposed, people acted like it was the end of the world. Most of them didn't know that we've already done this several times. Also, I have to disagree with the bit about how immigrants of the past had better attitudes than immigrants today. Remember what happened to all those red people that were here before whitie arrived? The original white immigrants to this land were some rather spiteful, greedy, and uncaring individuals.

Our major problem is that we don't have enough jobs. I agree. Where did those jobs go? To Taiwan, China, India, and even Mexico. How do you like that? Go to a car shop and read the manufacturer's label off of any replacement car part. Most of them are made or assembled in Mexico and shipped here because it's cheaper for the American business owner. I don't think we were cut off from our jobs by competition. We were sold out by our own American-born corporations.

Vista

Vista: I think your feelings are so strong because, as you said yourself, you're living in the middle of the problem. When immersed in a problem, it becomes easy to forget that most states aren't having this problem. In fact, Northern California isn't even having this problem (at least nothing like Southern California). Here in Georgia, illegals are only easy to find at Home Depot. In fact, we've been suffering from not enough illegals! In Georgia and Florida, there was literally fruit left to rot in the fields last year because there weren't enough hands to pick them. It seems your side of the country is getting all the illegal immigrants for some reason.

Let's also remember that we have, more than once in America history, declared that all illegals immigrants in the country are legal citizens. The last time this was proposed, people acted like it was the end of the world. Most of them didn't know that we've already done this several times. Also, I have to disagree with the bit about how immigrants of the past had better attitudes than immigrants today. Remember what happened to all those red people that were here before whitie arrived? The original white immigrants to this land were some rather spiteful, greedy, and uncaring individuals.

Our major problem is that we don't have enough jobs. I agree. Where did those jobs go? To Taiwan, China, India, and even Mexico. How do you like that? Go to a car shop and read the manufacturer's label off of any replacement car part. Most of them are made or assembled in Mexico and shipped here because it's cheaper for the American business owner. I don't think we were cut off from our jobs by competition. We were sold out by our own American-born corporations.

Hi Mark,
You have made some excellent points and many of which I agree with especially outsourcing of manufacturing. It's travesty for sure! But you have to remember, we have had more illegal immigration in the past decade than we have had in the past century leading up to this point we are at now. The numbers are staggering and largely coming from one population of people. But again, I did not say all but rather many are loyal to Mexico. It's evidence by their protests carrying their flags and teenagers pulling down the American flag and replacing it with the Mexican flag.These incidences are not uncommon. It's the animosity towards America and American culture(again not all but many) and the refusal to assimilate that is becoming a major problem. We have sub cultures popping up all over the country, here it's mostly Hispanic because it is where we are seeing most of the immigration.
But as Jupiter said, I think I will branch off and start my own thread. I would invite you to comment there if you would like to? Thanks for your comments.

Vista

Vista, your comments regarding Hispanic "anchor-babies" are inflammatory and because this thread does not concern immigration your comments are contrary to the topic of this thread. I can tell you that because I began this thread in order to draw attention to the plight of HOMELESS Americans who are now forced to live in Tent Cities because they have no other alternative.

You are not homeless. You are not living in a Tent City - if you were you would not have online access. You are unemployed, which is worrying and difficult for you and you have health problems as you have previously stated but nevertheless - you are one of the fortunate few who have support from a member of their family. twelthnight said

what twelthnight has said is simply in defence of the people you have accused of having "anchor-babies" Basically, twelthnight is entitled to her opinion and is correct to state that immigrants are people in bad situations who are just as likely to make a positive contribution to the society they are in. twelthnight lived in England herself as an immigrant on benefits before starting up her own business which she then passed on to another person in England who then was able to be self-supporting. twelthnight's valid point is that immigrants can make positive contributions to society - just as she did herself before returning to American :smile:

I understood that what she said, but Twelthnight is clearly not uneducated nor did she immigrate to England illegally. Also, England is not being invaded predominantly by one culture. This is not about legal immigration, this is ILLEGAL immigration, breaking the law, OUR laws. It seems your point is that we should turn a blind eye to the millions of illegal immigration taking place even though they are breaking our laws and straining our social services, although any other country in the world would deport because some contribute to society? What's the point of having immigration laws or borders? Are we going to pick and chose which cultures can stay and who cannot? That's what seems to be happening, the US turns a blind eye to Hispanic illegal immigration. Besides, why are they above the laws of this land? And yes, it's common knowledge that if you have a baby here in the United States you and your family can stay legally, hence the term "anchor baby." This is what has happened, it's common knowledge especially in Mexico, hence the large influx of young, Hsipanic woman having babies here. Perhaps you Twelthnight don't care for the derogatory reference, but essentially that is exactly what it is. Even some of our politicians speak of it in this term. It is what it is, why sugar coat? I suppose the good side is that they stay here legally.

I understood that what she said, but Twelthnight is clearly not uneducated nor did she immigrate to England illegally. Also, England is not being invaded predominantly by one culture. This is not about legal immigration, this is ILLEGAL immigration, breaking the law, OUR laws. It seems your point is that we should turn a blind eye to the millions of illegal immigration taking place even though they are breaking our laws and straining our social services, although any other country in the world would deport because some contribute to society? What's the point of having immigration laws or borders? Are we going to pick and chose which cultures can stay and who cannot? That's what seems to be happening, the US turns a blind eye to Hispanic illegal immigration. Besides, why are they above the laws of this land? And yes, it's common knowledge that if you have a baby here in the United States you and your family can stay legally, hence the term "anchor baby." This is what has happened, it's common knowledge especially in Mexico, hence the large influx of young, Hsipanic woman having babies here. Perhaps you Twelthnight don't care for the derogatory reference, but essentially that is exactly what it is. Even some of our politicians speak of it in this term. It is what it is, why sugar coat? I suppose the good side is that they stay here legally.

Just a minor point...modern Engalnd is wrestling with severe internal RAGE over their immigration issues. And I assure you there were many people who looked down on me due to my position. Some of those EXACT same people looked up to me when my business took off! :)

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

While all eyes are on Occupy Wall Street, a different kind of camp is also growing, driven by economic hardship in the United States. Tent City, a makeshift village in the woods of New Jersey, is home to ex-workers who can no longer make ends meet. Their numbers have doubled in the past year. But the neighboring town has had enough of living with a homeless camp in its midst -- and is using the courts to get rid of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAdCJBNpgW0

Homeless, unemployed and living in a Tent City in a New Jersey Forest :smile:

Last edited:

Vista

Vista did you read everything Mark said? I draw to your attention the following comment

That is a comment worth thinking over... after all, the original citizens of USA were the American Indians - it was "the home of the Brave" remember... the home of the American Brave. Where have the fifteen million plus American Indians gone? They were massacred in horrific genocidal wars and the few left are now are isolated in 'reservations' by the people who were originally immigrants :smile:

The major cause of unemployment and Tent Cities in America is precisely what Mark has said :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Again, that is yours and Marks opinion;
icon7.gif
it doesn't necessarily make it the only factor in what has happened to this country economically. It's one of several factors. Illegal immigration is a major problem and one of the top issues Americans want fixed. It's had a huge negative economic impact on many states that have received a large proportion of people coming here illegally.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you are suggesting that the horrible massacre of millions of American Indians hundred of years ago by European settlers has something to do with what is going on now and is primarily the reason why we should allow millions of people to come here illegally from Mexico? Aren't most who live on reservations because they want to be? The government has also tried to make up for what our forefathers have done by giving them land, free higher education, and not requiring them to pay taxes. What should we do for the misdeeds of others? Look at the history of any country throughout Europe and Asia, they have fought over land for thousands of years and millions have died because of it. Why is this relevant to what we are facing today as a Nation with illegal immigration primarily from Latin America? Do you really think we can continue to support the millions upon millions of a population of people who are primarily coming from a third world country? We can't sustain this at the rate it's been happening, it's not possible.

JUPITERASC

Again, that is yours and Marks opinion;
icon7.gif
it doesn't necessarily make it the only factor in what has happened to this country economically. It's one of several factors. .
We are discussing Joblessness leading to Homelessness specifically. :smile:
It comes down to the best interests of the average American being held hostage to the political atmosphere in this country that seems to reward those elected to help restructure the system for doing absolutely nothing of any benefit.

When the fringe elements of either party begin to set party platforms and shape (or block) legislation, the majority of us in the middle go unheard/unhelped. When a minority party (tea, anyone?) has the ability to prevent forward motion by refusing to compromise, we no longer have a democracy

kimbermoon

nice example JA,

I like David Icke he's always knocking the establishment and kabals etc.

4 stars for the movie Zeitgeist! finally people are starting to Wake Up, because they are being forced to...I would beware of David Icke however because his personal videos are but a surface disguise...he has also been accused of being part of the new world order and thus his 'nice spiritual guy' routine is not genuine...rather it is being used as a distraction...not looking for debate on this topic, I'm just saying....

On poverty...Canada was supposed to end child poverty by the year 2000...it has only gotten worse:

Have you ever had to walk a fair distance to get supplies from the grocery store and then stuggling to walk back home with it?...this incurred the necessity of having to make several trips a week for smaller amounts of necessities... this is especially difficult during heavy rain and snow...Have you ever had your power cut off because you had to use your small paycheck for necesssites [like food] and not pay the bill? Have you ever run out of food three days before payday? Have you ever subsisted on rice and fried bread while waiting for payday? have you had the heat turned off, or lived in a perfect breeding ground for mold? In such conditions, illness follows...Have you ever had to rely on food banks for a few necessities? Have you ever run out of toilet paper a day before payday? Have you ever skipped meals in order to feed your children? Have you ever had to live with just one or two sets of clothing? Have you ever had to do your laundry in the bath-tub due to lack of appliances?...that is tough work, let me tell you.Have you ever had to buy socks and underwear from the thrift stores? "have you ever had to build a bed out of a cardboard box"- Pink Dear mr.President. Ever had to use a public pay phone to make emergency calls? have you ever had to suffer more through colds and flus because you couldn't afford the medicines?

Have you ever been a single working dad with five young children and been forced to live in a tent all summer long? these are the many faces of being poor and indeed it is very hard work...the only concern is the struggle for survival...these are the hardships that normal people fail to consider when they have not experienced such adversity.

If you have never had to walk a mile in those moccasins please be more generous and understanding of the homeless and the street people...it all makes this 'tent city' movement all the more honorable where people are willing to give up all the comforts for a cause...please speak up for their cause without harsh judgment and support them against the authorities that want to tear them down and chase the people off...there is no righteousness in that and the governmental policing should be ASHAMED of their actions...

Vista

Ok, Twelthnight, Mark and Jupiter...off to my own thread. Please join in if you feel like contributing. Obviously we are on different spectrum's of what our beliefs are, but I like the different opinions of all even though is a passionate subject for many.

Vista

nice example JA,

I like David Icke he's always knocking the establishment and kabals etc.

4 stars for the movie Zeitgeist! finally people are starting to Wake Up, because they are being forced to...I would beware of David Icke however because his personal videos are but a surface disguise...he has also been accused of being part of the new world order and thus his 'nice spiritual guy' routine is not genuine...rather it is being used as a distraction...not looking for debate on this topic, I'm just saying....

On poverty...Canada was supposed to end child poverty by the year 2000...it has only gotten worse:

Have you ever had to walk a fair distance to get supplies from the grocery store and then stuggling to walk back home with it?...this incurred the necessity of having to make several trips a week for smaller amounts of necessities... this is especially difficult during heavy rain and snow...Have you ever had your power cut off because you had to use your small paycheck for necesssites [like food] and not pay the bill? Have you ever run out of food three days before payday? Have you ever subsisted on rice and fried bread while waiting for payday? have you had the heat turned off, or lived in a perfect breeding ground for mold? In such conditions, illness follows...Have you ever had to rely on food banks for a few necessities? Have you ever run out of toilet paper a day before payday? Have you ever skipped meals in order to feed your children? Have you ever had to live with just one or two sets of clothing? Have you ever had to do your laundry in the bath-tub due to lack of appliances?...that is tough work, let me tell you.Have you ever had to buy socks and underwear from the thrift stores? "have you ever had to build a bed out of a cardboard box"- Pink Dear mr.President. Ever had to use a public pay phone to make emergency calls? have you ever had to suffer more through colds and flus because you couldn't afford the medicines?

Have you ever been a single working dad with five young children and been forced to live in a tent all summer long? these are the many faces of being poor and indeed it is very hard work...the only concern is the struggle for survival...these are the hardships that normal people fail to consider when they have not experienced such adversity.

If you have never had to walk a mile in those moccasins please be more generous and understanding of the homeless and the street people...it all makes this 'tent city' movement all the more honorable where people are willing to give up all the comforts for a cause...please speak up for their cause without harsh judgment and support them against the authorities that want to tear them down and chase the people off...there is no righteousness in that and the governmental policing should be ASHAMED of their actions...

I have lost everything I have ever worked for, my job, my home, my life savings, my credit, my health, my car. I know what it's like to earn a great living and to now not even able to find a minimum wage job. So with so many American citizens facing such adverse conditions, why would we continue to allows millions of people come here illegally to drain our system more? I am starting my own thread, please feel free to comment. Thanks.

JUPITERASC

nice example JA, I like David Icke he's always knocking the establishment and kabals etc.

4 stars for the movie Zeitgeist! finally people are starting to Wake Up, because they are being forced to...

I would beware of David Icke however because his personal videos are but a surface disguise...he has also been accused of being part of the new world order and thus his 'nice spiritual guy' routine is not genuine...rather it is being used as a distraction...not looking for debate on this topic, I'm just saying....

Speaking of Zeitgeist http://vimeo.com/13726978 :smile:

American life not only accommodates billionaires living in modern-day palaces but also simultaneously includes the homeless who exist in utter desolation - clearly similar situations exist in Third World countries, but Americans are not Third World citizens... outsourcing of work to countries where labour is cheaper as tsmall has said and I quote
Regarding the lack of jobs here in the US, again in my opinion, we need to look at both our trade agreements, and the tax incentives given to corporations/companies who are able to ship their manufacturing, help desk, outsourcing, etc. to countries where labor is cheaper, leaving fewer and fewer jobs here in the US. This is why we have become a consumerist society...we aren't making much these days, and most of what we use is now being imported.
these actions result in a consumerist society only some of whom can afford to consume :smile:

Vista

To start your own thread Vista you would (if for instance you intend to begin a 'Hot Topic') click with your mouse on where it says 'Hot Topic Area' at the top of this page. Then scroll down the page until you find the words "NEW THREAD" written at the left. Click on that and then you can Title your new thread and begin posting. It makes no sense however to start a new thread on an already existent thread such as this one :smile:

I understand how to start a thread, which I just did. When I said "posted on the wrong thread," I meant to post my data on my own thread and since I had both windows open, I inadvertently posted it here instead. The site would not allow me to erase my post so that's why I wrote what I did.
icon10.gif

tsmall

Premium Member
I think it's in part due to complacency that has left so many people struggling with joblessness and homelessness. The political and economic structures we all rail against now were agreeable when most everyone's needs were being met. And that's the point--in our complacency we allowed this mess to happen. Now we see people being forced to do things they previously never would have imagined, like living in a tent while working a full time job for minimum wage because of the lack of affordable housing. When there's plenty, no one usually worries about what others are getting as long as their needs are being met. Now we see people looking at what resources are available, and trying to hoard them/allocate them based on his/her own determination of who is or is not worthy...rather than trying to discover where more resources might come from...

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I think it's in part due to complacency that has left so many people struggling with joblessness and homelessness. The political and economic structures we all rail against now were agreeable when most everyone's needs were being met. And that's the point--in our complacency we allowed this mess to happen. Now we see people being forced to do things they previously never would have imagined, like living in a tent while working a full time job for minimum wage because of the lack of affordable housing. When there's plenty, no one usually worries about what others are getting as long as their needs are being met. Now we see people looking at what resources are available, and trying to hoard them/allocate them based on his/her own determination of who is or is not worthy...rather than trying to discover where more resources might come from...

Exactly tsmall, when our needs are being met we are more relaxed and so perhaps as you say this resulted in a tendency to complacency which led to our not challenging the political and economic structures we used to find so agreeable when all was well with our own particular life - but which now are causing us to seriously reconsider their continued justification
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eRooYZJL-E

There are many kinds of revolutions—political, economic, industrial, scientific, artistic and so on. But no matter how external factors change, the world will never get better as long as people remain selfish and apathetic. As John F. Kennedy said, in 1963, “Our problems are man-made—therefore, they can be solved by man. And man can be as big as he wants.”

An inner change for the better in a single person is the essential first turn of the wheel in the process of making the human race stronger and wiser. This “human revolution” is, I believe, the most fundamental and most vital of all revolutions. This kind of revolution—an inner process of self-reformation—is completely bloodless and peaceful. In it everyone wins and there are no victims - Daisaku Ikeda
https://www.facebook.com/pages/We-the-people-say-NO-to-a-war-or-attack-on-Iran/181256718624628 :smile:

Last edited: