Jobs Least Likely to be Taken Over by Robots

conspiracy theorist

There is heavy development in sexbots and bots that acr as surrogates for intimacy, especially with the things that the Japanese are researching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEzH40l-Dg8, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzzDLujpat4 for some examples. It's not a stretch to think that a proper bot could very well take over the stripper's and exotic dancer's roles, especially the latter as clothes can easily be bypassed.

It would be harder to out and out replace landscape gardeners as a lot of what they do can't just be converted to an algorithm, but there is software currently out that can replicate artistic conventions to create "new" works of art from already existing pieces and materials, so it's not out of the realm of technology to beautify. But seeing as how I am not following AI advancement nearly closely enough, I'm not sure how far researchers have come to resolving/pushing the limits of "robotic consciousness"

conspiracy theorist

Ah yes, then we have to bare in mind that the developers of AI have political and ideological motivations that would result in programming robots to take stances that will undermine such things as "sex worker robots who are being exploited by sexually crazed men". That article reminds me of Tay AI that was meant to learn the communication patterns of young internet users, but was loading with a bunch of memes and had nazi sensibilities within hours of it's launching. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/sites/tay-ai

conspiracy theorist

Jobs that involve creative interpretation might be harder for robots to replace. Anything that has procedures, conventional rules of thumb and is generally stable could be taken over by robots without too much trouble, at least with what I know of current AI. So while you have astrological software that can spit out a serviceable interpretation, it's not like professional astrologers have become obsolete. And I've not heard of any advancements that would replace the role of an attorney for example, and I'd think a robot would actually intimidate or turn off many people if put in such a role, due to the very controversial issues surrounding robots and ethics, and the fact that a jury might find a robotic attorney somewhat off-putting. If robots were put in a position to decide issues of law and justice, the society would have to be changed drastically, and there are many people who are wary of putting robots in such a position of power. as all the sci-fi and apocalyptic stories indicate. Also, any jobs that rely heavily on the human touch would be harder for the robotics to penetrate. Counselors and Theologians are fairly safe, I'd think.

Last edited:

david starling

Ah yes, then we have to bare in mind that the developers of AI have political and ideological motivations that would result in programming robots to take stances that will undermine such things as "sex worker robots who are being exploited by sexually crazed men". That article reminds me of Tay AI that was meant to learn the communication patterns of young internet users, but was loading with a bunch of memes and had nazi sensibilities within hours of it's launching. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/sites/tay-ai

Wait--robot Feminism?! What about marriage rights for robots? :andy:

david starling

Jobs that involve creative interpretation might be harder for robots to replace. Anything that has procedures, conventional rules of thumb and is generally stable could be taken over by robots without too much trouble, at least with what I know of current AI. So while you have astrological software that can spit out a serviceable interpretation, it's not like professional astrologers have become obsolete. And I've not heard of any advancements that would replace the role of an attorney for example, and I'd think a robot would actually intimidate or turn off many people if put in such a role, due to the very controversial issues surrounding robots and ethics, and the fact that a jury might find a robotic attorney somewhat off-putting. If robots were put in a position to decide issues of law and justice, the society would have to be changed drastically, and there are many people who are wary of putting robots in such a position of power. as all the sci-fi and apocalyptic stories indicate. Also, any jobs that rely heavily on the human touch would be harder for the robotics to penetrate. Counselors and Theologians are fairly safe, I'd think.

First will be manual labor robots that don't even have to look human. This is more from a Capitalistic, practical viewpoint. Creativity and evoking feelings are of a different order. CEO robots might actually be an improvement. Same with politicians. Unless they were hacked....

conspiracy theorist

First will be manual labor robots that don't even have to look human. This is more from a Capitalistic, practical viewpoint. Creativity and evoking feelings are of a different order. CEO robots might actually be an improvement. Same with politicians. Unless they were hacked....

Or built with values that could result in the same or worse leadership. How would you imagine a CEO robot being better than a human? It's not like we're at the point where robots are self-perpetuating - programmers have ideas of how the world should work and that would influence how the robot operates, especially if the robot is put in a position where it's making decisions that have wide ranging effects. Altruistic ideas might sound good on paper, but have dire consequences when implemented practically. They might be even worse than the supposedly instrumental values of Capitalism.

And with the jobs that have heavily creative and affective value, there is a market for that and robotics might never penetrate deeply into it, as there is actual physiological and psychological effects that occur when two humans interact.

david starling

That last point was well-stated.
CEOs have only one Capitalistic function: Making more money for the shareholders. So, if provided with up-to-date information, an AI could probably outperform a human. Also, it wouldn't need a huge salary or a golden parachute!

Last edited:

Blaze

Account Closed
I don't want any human losing their means of productivity to a robot. No matter how much more efficient a robot could/one day will be. Imagine the entire human race with nothing to do?

"Idle hands are the devils plaything" After all.

JUPITERASC

I don't want any human losing their means of productivity to a robot.

No matter how much more efficient a robot could/one day will be.
Imagine the entire human race with nothing to do?
"Idle hands are the devils plaything" After all.
plenty to do repairing malfuntioning robots :smile:

Blaze

Account Closed
"An entire species of Mechanics, Zrr! Look at those earthlings! 8.5 billion of em all! Think they could fix our ship?"

"Negative, Xrr, they would send one of their bots to do it for them. Those things creep me out"

"More so than your birth-test-tube, Zrr?"

"Shut up, Xrr"

CapAquaPis

In the future, humanity doesn't have to get a job to survive and pay their way, the government installs Basic Universal Income for all adults and/or dependants to ensure they will have money to buy things, pay taxes and save up for.

For people born from Jan 1, 1980-Dec 31, 2009: I think a full moon on New Years eve/day (Cancer moon opposite Capricorn sun) represents a group of people having a hard time finding a decent or living wage job. Capricorn is about work and science, Cancer is about struggle and obstacles...and the New Years full moon represents the beginning and end of a difficult time to be born.

IMO, humanity is trying to set up a virtually real heaven...but without a proper channel to get currency, it can turn into a living hell. Anyone born after 2010 is raised in a new millennia with different expectations in life when they're adults.

JUPITERASC

768x768-tired-of-mopping-and-want-a-robot-to-cleaning-How.jpg