Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Traditional Astrology

Traditional Astrology For discussions on Traditional Astrology only. (Note: Typically, traditional astrology is defined as using techniques developed prior to 1700 by astrologers from the Hellenistic, Persian, Hebrew, and Renaissance eras. In general, it relies on Ptolemaic aspects (sextile, trine, square, opposition and conjunction) though there may be some exceptions, and always excludes modern planets (Neptune, Uranus and Pluto,) as well as any asteroids. The focus is less on what would be considered modern psychological chart interpretation and more on prediction. Members who wish to explore a combination of traditional and modern ideas should feel free to start a new thread in an appropriate forum for further discussion.)

Unread 02-15-2014, 07:47 PM

Re: Lots = Pillars of Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by poyi View Post
RayAustin said:

I am using this on myself to see what comes up. My Moon in Capricorn, 5th house. Taurus is the 5th sign of Capricorn Moon. But I soon got very confused for the rest of the manual steps when "she" used the teaching chart. Anyone happy to explain to me further? This is a very useful tool so I really want to learn how to do it!!!!!!
I also can't figure out my exaltation sign

Unread 03-12-2014, 05:16 PM

Pars Vitae

Quote:
Originally Posted by theV View Post
can you tell me more about this part cause it conjunct my sun and venus
From Zoller's "Bonatti on Arabic Parts"

Pars Vitae
...And therefore, for this reason the part of life or pars vitae and its extraction ought to be considered, for by this the quality of the life of the native is determined and what kind of existence {esse} he will have...
...This part is taken by the day from Jupiter to Saturn and by night the reverse, and it is projected from the ascendant....
...This part is the significatrix of the natural life and signifies the condition {esse} of the body and its sustenance. If it is well disposed, it signifies length of life and its continuity, the safety of the body, and the vitality of the soul. If, however, it is impeded, it signifies paucity of life and the shortness of it and its evil quality with a multitude of diverse infirmities and with sorrow of soul and the sadness of it. This, therefore, will signify the quality of men in revolutions of the years both in nativities and in the world...
Unread 03-13-2014, 06:55 AM

Re: Pars Vitae

This was also given as such by much earlier authors, such as Abu Mashar (9th century), and as I remember, traces back to the Hellenist Lots (such as found in Paulus Alexandrianus in the 4th century)
Unread 05-13-2014, 12:10 PM

I think this is a great discussion and I am going to try and follow along with the various charts and more. However, I do need to clear one point up that is confusing me and that is the Lot of Basis. I read Mr Hand's description and this is what has caused my confusion I quote;
Begin Quote

Lot of Basis
Day or Night Lot = Asc. + PF - Sp
or Lot = Asc. + Sp - PF

Here however it is not day or night that determines the order of the formula. Instead we use whichever is the shorter arc. IF PF - Sp is more than 180 degrees, we use Sp - PF, and vice versa. Its position is always below the horizon or exactly on the Ascendant or Descendant because the Sp to PF arc can never be more than 180 degrees. This may have something to do with its signification because it is always below the earth like a foundation. Also as with Fortuna and Spirit, New Moons and Full Moons have special significance with this lot. At the New Moon all three lots are conjunct the Ascendant, and at the Full Moon, they are all conjunct the Descendant.

End Quote.
So with my reasoning this puts LOB at 13Gem42 in the 3rd house, ie below the horizon.
I am not saying that Hand is right and you are wrong I just want clarification before I continue my study.
see http://astro-app.com/get_chart.php?chart=145

Give it a go
Then you'll know
Unread 05-13-2014, 06:43 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by holisticweb View Post
I think this is a great discussion and I am going to try and follow along with the various charts and more. However, I do need to clear one point up that is confusing me and that is the Lot of Basis. I read Mr Hand's description and this is what has caused my confusion I quote;
Begin Quote

Lot of Basis
Day or Night Lot = Asc. + PF - Sp
or Lot = Asc. + Sp - PF

Here however it is not day or night that determines the order of the formula. Instead we use whichever is the shorter arc. IF PF - Sp is more than 180 degrees, we use Sp - PF, and vice versa. Its position is always below the horizon or exactly on the Ascendant or Descendant because the Sp to PF arc can never be more than 180 degrees. This may have something to do with its signification because it is always below the earth like a foundation. Also as with Fortuna and Spirit, New Moons and Full Moons have special significance with this lot. At the New Moon all three lots are conjunct the Ascendant, and at the Full Moon, they are all conjunct the Descendant.

End Quote.
So with my reasoning this puts LOB at 13Gem42 in the 3rd house, ie below the horizon.
I am not saying that Hand is right and you are wrong I just want clarification before I continue my study.
see http://astro-app.com/get_chart.php?chart=145

Hand is right. The Lot is used in Valens withFortune, Spirit and Exaltation and is always below the earth.
The Following User Says Thank You to Konrad For This Useful Post:
holisticweb (05-14-2014)
Unread 07-03-2014, 04:46 PM

Quick question about lots - do we count conjunction of two lots, namely lot of fortune and lot of marriage? If there are no planets involved I realize these are simply points not physical bodies thus no light, would a conjunction like this have any significance at all, beyond both lots having the same ruler?

Tags
fate, lots, pillars