Ruling Sign of ASC

dioskouris

Account Closed
I haven't been able to find any concise or generalised analysis on ASC ruler signs.I would think that the sign the ruler of the sign is in would colour the person's appearance somewhat. My ASC is Scorpio, Mars in Cancer, so do I behave somewhat Cancer-esque?

What got me to wondering was a Clint Eastwood movie. He is bad ***, looks it more than me I think. I think I it's because his Mars, his Ascendant ruler, is in Aries, while mine is in Cancer. Though I still get a lot of attention for being a scowl more than for my smiles. Eastwood and I share the same Sun, and both are Moons are in fire signs (he is Leo I am Aries).

I've always noticed that an artist's creation always appears to be like their ASC. For Eastwood this is the case.

dr. farr

For ME (that is, from my very eclectic astrological perspective) I look at the ascending sign, anything in the ascending sign, the decan the ascending degree is in, the duodenary the ascending degree is in, the monomoiria (planetary degree ruler) the ascending degree is in, and the planet and sign and dispositor of the sign, which the lord of the ascending sign is in.

So, for me, your ascendant would show a confluence of the influences of:
-Scorpio
-Pluto in Scorpio
-Saturn (asc degree monmoiria)
-Pisces (decan)
-Pisces again (duodenary)
-Mars (lord of ascendant sign Scorpio) as modified by its placement in Cancer
-Moon (modified by its placement in Aries), as dispositor of Scorpio lord Mars

dioskouris

Account Closed
Sorry if I may seem slightly sense in asking, but do I put all of that together? The ability to look at a bunch of aspects and form an impression is not a skill I've learnt yet.

greybeard

Get paper and pencil.

Write down what you think pertinent for each of the symbols listed.

Where you see traits repeated or in harmony you will find the more prominent traits; where there is contradiction, the same contradiction is present in the "personality" (or whatever you are using the Asc to study at the moment.) Each statement a symbol makes is true of itself, so that when you see a trait represented by different symbols, it grows stronger. All astrological symbols contain both a positive and a negative potential -- "good" and "bad" are often Siamese twins.

Last edited:

sworm09

I think that greaybeard hit the nail on the head.

Astrology is all about looking for indicators or "symptoms". Themes repeated over and over again will be more prominent and more certain.

For appearance you're going to want to look at a lot more than just the rising sign, though the rising sign is a great start.

You know to look at the Rising Sign because you know that the Ascendant represents the body of the native. Ok, that's step one.

You're also going to want to look at any planets in the 1st house, because they also represent the native's body.

Along those same lines look at signs intercepted in the first house.

You're going to want to look at the Asc ruler (use traditional rulerships for this if you want to be certain) and the sign that he/she is in. Note the physical characteristics that that planet indicates, and the physical characteristics of the sign that it's in. Also note aspects to the chart ruler.

Once you mix all of those significations together, you should have a pretty good idea of a physical appearance. For more information, check out John Gadbury's "Doctrine of Nativities". He gives a full guide on how to do this. You can find the book online for free in pdf format.

Flapjacks

For ME (that is, from my very eclectic astrological perspective) I look at the ascending sign, anything in the ascending sign, the decan the ascending degree is in, the duodenary the ascending degree is in, the monomoiria (planetary degree ruler) the ascending degree is in, and the planet and sign and dispositor of the sign, which the lord of the ascending sign is in.

So, for me, your ascendant would show a confluence of the influences of:
-Scorpio
-Pluto in Scorpio
-Saturn (asc degree monmoiria)
-Pisces (decan)
-Pisces again (duodenary)
-Mars (lord of ascendant sign Scorpio) as modified by its placement in Cancer
-Moon (modified by its placement in Aries), as dispositor of Scorpio lord Mars

Interesting the Moon in Aries, as Aries is also ruled by Mars. Perhaps this is why dio is interested in how badass Clint Eastwood is with his Aries Mars? :wink: Eastwood has Pluto in Cancer, too. So if take Pluto as lord of 1st (harder in these cases since it's an outer planet) then it's in Cancer for Eastwood, ruled by Moon, in Leo, the performer. For dio, Pluto is in it's own sign, so then to me the placement becomes really important, being in the 12th house which tends to sublimate the energy of the planet. This also goes with Dr. Farr's Pisces theme in decan and duodenary. That's how I'd look at it anyway.

I got an interesting result doing this method with my placement:

Ascending Sign: 7 Gem 23' 42"
Lord: Mercury, placed in Leo
Depositor of Mercury is Sun (Mercury combust, Rx, 3 deg orb, rising after Sun)
Planets in Gemini: Chiron (1st house)
Decan: Mercury
Duodenary: Gemini (I think, correct me if I'm wrong)
Monomoiria: Mercury

My house depositors all lead to Mercury, as well (Mercury in the 3rd house). Mercury is the most aspected planet.

Do I look like and express myself like a Gemini/Leo combo?

Short answer: Yes. Yes I do.

This might be a useful exercise: Look at what all such influences might seem to say, and think of an experience or event in your life that seems to play out those influences. I'm sure you'll find one if you think on it. It could shed light on the meaning of your placements and potential they reflect.

Last edited:

Zonark

Your Ascendant ruler in traditional (without planets beyond Saturn) would be Cancer in its fall.

Your Ascendant ruler with the planets beyond Saturn taken into account (as you should) is Pluto in Scorpio, retrograde.

The choice you have is between a fallen ascendant ruler and a dignified, albeit retrograde ascendant ruler. Choose the latter :cool:

On top of Mars' fall it is Diurnal. This is not where Mars wants to be, so Mars' influence over the Ascendant is very weak and behaving not like Mars at all. In whole signs Mars is in the 9th which adds no particular help to Mars yet does slight harm due to it being a day house (Mars prefers the night).

So Pluto is your Ascendant ruler, full stop because of its dignity in Scorpio. You can look at Mars for this but it is very complicated and unnecessary when Pluto is in dignity conjunct the Ascendant.

The Retrograde is the curious factor which requires thought and analysis to understand the effect of.