Transits for opportunities/beginnings

Osamenor

Staff member
Are there certain kinds of transits that tend to show up when someone starts a new romantic relationship, or gets a new job, or sees a new opportunity appear?

My inspiration for this question is the many threads that get posted over on the Read My Chart board, where people want to know if they're going to find a boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse anytime soon, or get a job, or things like that. Common sense says that transits won't do the trick for you by themselves, you have to be out there looking... but if you are out there looking, are there transits that are especially good? Ruler of x house making a significant transit or being transited, or something like that?

Another question, really out of curiosity: what about new opportunities that turn up when you're not particularly looking for them? I've had that happen on more than one occasion. Finding love when I wasn't desperately looking for it, having a job opportunity come my way that I hadn't thought to want, getting adopted by a stray when I wasn't planning to get a pet, hearing about a new educational opportunity out of the blue that was just what I wanted but hadn't known to look for... all of those things have happened in my life, some more than once. Are there particular "lucky" transits linked to that kind of thing?

muchacho

Are there certain kinds of transits that tend to show up when someone starts a new romantic relationship, or gets a new job, or sees a new opportunity appear?
Yes, a lot of possible combinations, actually. It has to do with the houses that rule those areas of life and the house rulers and the planets that are significators for those areas of life. You could fill an entire book with those combinations. Generally speaking, Mars and Jupiter transits give a boost in energy and motivation, Saturn transits give the focus and determination to throw out useless stuff and get back to what actually matters. For new beginnings we would have to look for conjunctions.

My inspiration for this question is the many threads that get posted over on the Read My Chart board, where people want to know if they're going to find a boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse anytime soon, or get a job, or things like that. Common sense says that transits won't do the trick for you by themselves, you have to be out there looking... but if you are out there looking, are there transits that are especially good? Ruler of x house making a significant transit or being transited, or something like that?
Actually, the transits are just the last part of the (astrological) manifestation process. And keep in mind that the transits can only deliver what is promised in the birth chart. Also, the transiting planet has to actually be activated (Dasha in vedic) in order to deliver anything significant or else the transit will just go over with only little or no impact at all. Transits is the most complex and difficult area of astrology, there's so much to consider.

Another question, really out of curiosity: what about new opportunities that turn up when you're not particularly looking for them? I've had that happen on more than one occasion. Finding love when I wasn't desperately looking for it, having a job opportunity come my way that I hadn't thought to want, getting adopted by a stray when I wasn't planning to get a pet, hearing about a new educational opportunity out of the blue that was just what I wanted but hadn't known to look for... all of those things have happened in my life, some more than once. Are there particular "lucky" transits linked to that kind of thing?
Well, usually Jupiter transits get that reputation, things just falling into your lap. However, if you think in LOA terms, things just falling into your lap is actually how it is supposed to be - always, not just during beneficial transits. When you stop micromanaging your life and relax, your scope of perception will be larger and you'll be more sensitive to slight hints and indicators and so you'll notice more opportunities by default. Also, you'll be more in touch with your intuition which means superb timing, right time right place.

Last but not least, the power of your own mind is always a factor that has to be considered. It can turn not so beneficial transits into opportunities and beneficial transits into a disaster. There's no guarantee that a good transit delivers good results and a bad transit bad results, there are only probabilities. The more we are aware of where we put our attention and the more we make deliberate conscious choices the less those other (astrological) factors matter.

Osamenor

Staff member
Yes, a lot of possible combinations, actually. It has to do with the houses that rule those areas of life and the house rulers and the planets that are significators for those areas of life. You could fill an entire book with those combinations. Generally speaking, Mars and Jupiter transits give a boost in energy and motivation, Saturn transits give the focus and determination to throw out useless stuff and get back to what actually matters. For new beginnings we would have to look for conjunctions.
By conjunctions, do you mean any conjunction of planets? Is it more powerful if it's a planetary return?

Furthermore... and this is something I've been wondering about in general... all house rulers do not transit equally. The house with its cusp in Cancer gets transited by its ruler every month, and the moon transits everything in the natal chart every month. With that house, would transits to the natal moon be more meaningful than transits made by the moon?

On the other end, the Capricorn and Aquarius houses get very slow, drawn out transits of their ruler.

Well, usually Jupiter transits get that reputation, things just falling into your lap. However, if you think in LOA terms, things just falling into your lap is actually how it is supposed to be - always, not just during beneficial transits. When you stop micromanaging your life and relax, your scope of perception will be larger and you'll be more sensitive to slight hints and indicators and so you'll notice more opportunities by default. Also, you'll be more in touch with your intuition which means superb timing, right time right place.

Last but not least, the power of your own mind is always a factor that has to be considered. It can turn not so beneficial transits into opportunities and beneficial transits into a disaster. There's no guarantee that a good transit delivers good results and a bad transit bad results, there are only probabilities. The more we are aware of where we put our attention and the more we make deliberate conscious choices the less those other (astrological) factors matter.

Interesting. I've always said it's not the chart, it's what you do with it.

So, suppose I'm looking for a job and not having any luck. In addition to revisiting my job search techniques, which I should do regardless, would it be at all helpful to look at current transits? What kinds of transits should I look for, and how should I react?

muchacho

By conjunctions, do you mean any conjunction of planets? Is it more powerful if it's a planetary return?
Could be planets or sensitive points like the ASC. And the houses those planets rule get triggered as well.

Planetary returns are very powerful, although only the returns of Sun, Jupiter and Saturn really matter.

Furthermore... and this is something I've been wondering about in general... all house rulers do not transit equally. The house with its cusp in Cancer gets transited by its ruler every month, and the moon transits everything in the natal chart every month. With that house, would transits to the natal moon be more meaningful than transits made by the moon?

On the other end, the Capricorn and Aquarius houses get very slow, drawn out transits of their ruler.
In vedic astrology, you would mostly look at transits from the position of the natal Moon and not from the ASC, i.e. you would use the Moon sign/house as the 1st house. Looking at transits from the ASC is only the second best option, a sort of second opinion.

The transits of fast moving planets don't matter that much. Only the transits of the outer planets (beyond Mars plus nodes) really matter.

Interesting. I've always said it's not the chart, it's what you do with it.

So, suppose I'm looking for a job and not having any luck. In addition to revisiting my job search techniques, which I should do regardless, would it be at all helpful to look at current transits? What kinds of transits should I look for, and how should I react?

If you want to do it western style, then it's rather simple. You look at the planet ruling your 10th and planets transiting your 10th, and also Sun and Saturn which are the significators for career. Additionally you would also have to look at your ASC and chart ruler because in the 1st is a short version of your entire fate and the chart ruler sets the tone for the entire chart and therefore has a say too on all matters of life.

If you want to do it vedic style, then you would first have to look at what Dasha you are running, i.e what planets are currently active. Then you would determine strength and temporary nature of those planets. After you've done that you would have to look in what houses they are located in the natal chart and then what houses they are currently transiting. Only then you would look at the planet ruling the 10th and that from ASC, natal Moon, Sun, and the Dasha lords.

Additionally you would also look at transits from the planet that is ruling the 10th house in the D-9 chart and in the D-10 chart. And then you would also have to consider strength and nature of houses which determines how transits of individual planets are going to work out. It's called Ashtakavarga chart where there's a chart for every planet and a number from 0 to 8 for every house. The higher the score for a house, the better the results when the planet transits that house. So let's say your Jupiter is about to transit your 10th, the house of career and status. If your Jupiter gets more than 4 points in the 10th, then the Jupiter transit will give mostly positive results, less than 4 points mostly negative results.

So there's a lot to consider and synthesize. And there are a dozen additional rules and exceptions.

What you also have to keep in mind is that transits always work simultaneously on different levels of existence - mental, emotional and physical. So Mars transiting in a house where it delivers mostly negative results doesn't necessarily mean that you will get cuts and burns, it could just mean that you are mentally more agitated than usual or get into arguments more often. On what level of existence those transits show results depends largely on your moment to moment state of mind.

And from a LOA point of view, you should only do what lifts your spirits/raises your vibration because your world is only a reflection of your inner state of being. So if sending out resumes soothes you and give you a sense of accomplishment, then do it. If it causes stress and worry then don't do it because it's likely you go against your inner rhythm. It's worth distinguishing between clock time and natural time. Clock time may say that it's already 6 months since your last job interview, so there's reason for concern. Natural time may say this is a time of contemplation, not action, the action phase will start in 2 months, so nothing to worry here.

Astrology can help you identifying trends in terms of motivation or desires, your natural rhythm or unfolding of your path. Some people never thought of getting married but suddenly that's the only thing that's on their minds and they have no idea why. That's the influence of Dashas and transits. If you then follow that urge, that's a different story again and fully up to you. So as clever and awe-inspiring those astrological calculations may sound, it's always just about probabilities, never certainties.

Kitchy

Banned
Osa -

In my experiences - and this will sound odd to some folks - but 12th house in my experience, is the place to look for new beginnings. Where the planets in 12th - are searching and finding their way to 1st - whether it's by transit or progression. Everyone is looking to get out of dodge at some point in their life - personally, professionally or spiritually - they have come to understanding that their work is done in some chapter of their lives and they reach for the 1st house of infancy and rebirth into something new - the born-again desire that we all have in our life, call it cellular regeneration or sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I know this has been true for me - most of the new beginnings I have undertaken by choice or happenstance have originated in 12th house by transit or progression.

Osamenor

Staff member
If you want to do it western style, then it's rather simple. You look at the planet ruling your 10th and planets transiting your 10th, and also Sun and Saturn which are the significators for career. Additionally you would also have to look at your ASC and chart ruler because in the 1st is a short version of your entire fate and the chart ruler sets the tone for the entire chart and therefore has a say too on all matters of life.

And then, how do we allow for the different quality in planetary transits?

If one person has their MC in Cancer and another has theirs in Capricorn, the Cancer MC is going to have much shorter and more frequent transits of their tenth house ruler... but, from what you said, it sounds like the Capricorn MC would have more meaningful transits of theirs. Same could be said of rising signs.

I have an interesting situation with my MC ruler: MC is in Libra, and natal Venus is retrograde. It turned direct by progression about 7-8 years ago, but by then, it was almost conjunct my natal sun, which I think would make it combust by progression? (Venus is 17-ish degrees from the sun in my natal chart.) Because of the retrograde, and because it's placed in one of my biggest houses, my progressed Venus is staying in the same house (the eighth) for most of my life. So, there's not going to be much difference, at least by house and sign, in the progressions of my MC ruler, and it sounds like it's progressions that count if the ruler is an inner planet.

And when you say planets transiting the tenth... does that include the sun, Venus, and Mercury, which transit annually, and the moon, which transits monthly? By that light, I ought to have career emphasized specifically in the autumn months, when those planets are transiting that part of my chart. But in my experience, career happens, moves forward, or stagnates at any time of year. Same could be said for romance and the houses that rule that.

Osamenor

Staff member
Osa -

In my experiences - and this will sound odd to some folks - but 12th house in my experience, is the place to look for new beginnings. Where the planets in 12th - are searching and finding their way to 1st - whether it's by transit or progression. Everyone is looking to get out of dodge at some point in their life - personally, professionally or spiritually - they have come to understanding that their work is done in some chapter of their lives and they reach for the 1st house of infancy and rebirth into something new - the born-again desire that we all have in our life, call it cellular regeneration or sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I know this has been true for me - most of the new beginnings I have undertaken by choice or happenstance have originated in 12th house by transit or progression.

Interesting. I just tested that for myself, running some transit and progression charts for dates when a new beginning clearly happened. Some of those new beginnings didn't have any transits in my twelfth house, but two really major ones had one of the slower planets sitting right on my natal moon, which is just inside the twelfth house. I had the longest relationship I've been in start right when Pluto reached conjunction with my moon, and last winter, I started herbalism school with Saturn conjunct my moon (and progressed Mercury, which rules my ninth and sixth houses, stationing retrograde right on my natal MC) and Jupiter turning retrograde on the cusp of my ninth house.

Based on the schedule of the program, I'm going to finish right around the time Saturn reaches my AC.

Another out of the blue event I ran a chart for: I stumbled into a new job last fall. I don't remember the exact date I was offered the job, but I do remember my start date, because it was the last day of the month and therefore the last day of the pay period, which slightly complicated the record keeping and my first paycheck. On that day, I had that progressed Mercury (again, ruler of the sixth) stationing on my MC, and progressed moon had just entered my fifth house--and the job is working with children. I also had transiting Venus conjunct progressed Venus and transiting moon conjunct natal moon.

Last edited:

Kitchy

Banned
Interesting. I just tested that for myself, running some transit and progression charts for dates when a new beginning clearly happened. Some of those new beginnings didn't have any transits in my twelfth house, but two really major ones had one of the slower planets sitting right on my natal moon, which is just inside the twelfth house. I had the longest relationship I've been in start right when Pluto reached conjunction with my moon, and last winter, I started herbalism school with Saturn conjunct my moon (and progressed Mercury, which rules my ninth and sixth houses, stationing retrograde right on my natal MC) and Jupiter turning retrograde on the cusp of my ninth house.

Based on the schedule of the program, I'm going to finish right around the time Saturn reaches my AC.

Another out of the blue event I ran a chart for: I stumbled into a new job last fall. I don't remember the exact date I was offered the job, but I do remember my start date, because it was the last day of the month and therefore the last day of the pay period, which slightly complicated the record keeping and my first paycheck. On that day, I had that progressed Mercury (again, ruler of the sixth) stationing on my MC, and progressed moon had just entered my fifth house--and the job is working with children. I also had transiting Venus conjunct progressed Venus and transiting moon conjunct natal moon.

My thoughts are that while there is activity in 12th house - it is the source of dis-ease, so to speak, where the planets begin to get bottled up in desire/need for new expression.

My example - do you recall that horrid collusion of planets in Cancer around 2007 - Mars was direct and retro and direct for dog years at that time - and it stayed in my 12th for something like 6 months, and my 12th house is not large - 3' cancer to 3' leo - a normal size. It was at that time that I became so dissatisfied with many aspects of my life - that I just knew I had to do something different, reinvent myself, call it what you will - it was like all walls around me were closing in. I needed to bust loose - and once those 12th house planets moved / activated toward Asc - I initiated all kinds of change in my life: job, relocation, physical appearance - some kind of self-actualization happened to me in the 12th to prompt me to initiate change - which of course manifested in 1st house.

Also - around age 12-13 - while Saturn was in Cancer in my 12th house - I had previously been what you would call a "depressed child" or "sickly child" - up to that point, I had several hospitalizations and a chronic health condition that wouldn't go away. I can remember, even at that young age - thinking "am I going to be like this forever?" and (it might have been around time that Saturn opposed natal Saturn from 12th to 6th) I clearly remember thinking "no - this isn't who I'm supposed to be" and it was during that time that I went into jr. high school, became serious about "defining" myself and I got involved in social and sport activities which was the beginning of a new life for me once Saturn crossed my Asc. I see the 12th house as the place where change is initiated most in a person - be it through dissatisfaction or believing there is something more fulfilling on the other side.

Osamenor

Staff member
My thoughts are that while there is activity in 12th house - it is the source of dis-ease, so to speak, where the planets begin to get bottled up in desire/need for new expression.

My example - do you recall that horrid collusion of planets in Cancer around 2007 - Mars was direct and retro and direct for dog years at that time - and it stayed in my 12th for something like 6 months, and my 12th house is not large - 3' cancer to 3' leo - a normal size. It was at that time that I became so dissatisfied with many aspects of my life - that I just knew I had to do something different, reinvent myself, call it what you will - it was like all walls around me were closing in. I needed to bust loose - and once those 12th house planets moved / activated toward Asc - I initiated all kinds of change in my life: job, relocation, physical appearance - some kind of self-actualization happened to me in the 12th to prompt me to initiate change - which of course manifested in 1st house.

Also - around age 12-13 - while Saturn was in Cancer in my 12th house - I had previously been what you would call a "depressed child" or "sickly child" - up to that point, I had several hospitalizations and a chronic health condition that wouldn't go away. I can remember, even at that young age - thinking "am I going to be like this forever?" and (it might have been around time that Saturn opposed natal Saturn from 12th to 6th) I clearly remember thinking "no - this isn't who I'm supposed to be" and it was during that time that I went into jr. high school, became serious about "defining" myself and I got involved in social and sport activities which was the beginning of a new life for me once Saturn crossed my Asc. I see the 12th house as the place where change is initiated most in a person - be it through dissatisfaction or believing there is something more fulfilling on the other side.
Interesting.

The question I initially asked was more about what transits are linked with opportunities just coming our way. But what makes us make the decisions that cause us to either take advantage of opportunities or see them in the first place or maybe even create them is relevant, too.

It's interesting that you had such a clear transformative moment when Saturn transited your twelfth house at the beginning of your adolescence. I understand you're old enough to have had a second Saturn transit of that part of your chart... did you see a similar transformation then? It would have been 2004/2005-ish (I have natal Saturn in Cancer, and that's when I was Saturn return age, so).

Last time Saturn crossed my AC, I was a few months into eighth grade. There was no big transformation then. Some 8-9 months later, I started high school, and that was much more of a change. That was the chance to reinvent myself, since in high school, there were lots of people who didn't know me and didn't know anyone else who knew me, either, so I could be anyone for them.

Looking at the transits and progressions for when opportunities just came to me, what strikes me is that all of those charts have at least one conjunction of transiting Moon, Venus, or Mercury with either my natal or my progressed Moon, Venus, or Mercury (though not with itself unless it's the transiting version with the progressed version), and natal and/or progressed Mars occasionally comes into the Moon/Mercury/Venus picture via a conjunction or an aspect.

I just did one for the day I received an email about the herbalism school I'm going to now--that came right out of the blue, I had no idea that school existed up until then, and it was right before the application deadline. On that day, Mercury was transiting my natal moon, while transiting Venus was conjunct my progressed Mercury and sextile my natal sun and progressed Venus. Progressed moon, meanwhile, was squaring progressed Venus and quincunx progressed Mercury. A lot of Mercury in the picture makes sense when it's a communication, and Mercury rules my ninth house, too.

Kitchy

Banned
out of the blue stuff can be uranus to merc by transit - in terms of information, and those quinx can bring something to shake up the duldrums - but they don't promise delivery - although they get you thinking and maybe reinspired with merc/uranus quinx.

I went a layer beneath the 'opportunities' earlier - the opps come after the thought for something new - otherwise we would reject it if we were satisfied - and so my point was - where you are dissatisfied - to me, 12th house (and one could possibly stay that way for ever without change) is where the dissatisfaction gets sifted out and the 'reach' for 1st gets moved forward thru the 12th by transits.

But yeah - 1st house, Mars, Aries - usually when there are aspects to any of the 1st house players and/or any angle) there will be a shift forward that may seem like it comes out of the blue but usually it's something that needed to be discarded after those 12th house transits - the old one door opens another closes thing.

Osamenor

Staff member
out of the blue stuff can be uranus to merc by transit - in terms of information, and those quinx can bring something to shake up the duldrums - but they don't promise delivery - although they get you thinking and maybe reinspired with merc/uranus quinx.
Interesting. What I didn't mention is that, as my progressed Mercury stations retrograde on my MC, it's also conjunct natal Uranus, because I have a natal Uranus/MC conjunction... and my Uranus opposition is, while still about 5 degrees from exact, starting, as Uranus sits on my IC. So for a whole two or three years at least, I have a Uranus/Mercury theme going on. But things aren't coming out of the blue every day.

I've also discovered recently that by progression, Mercury will reach conjunction with natal Uranus/MC again when I'm at the age for Uranus return. If I'm still alive, it could be a very dynamic time. If I'm not, maybe that's when I'll become posthumously famous, for something with a Mercury/Uranus theme?

I went a layer beneath the 'opportunities' earlier - the opps come after the thought for something new - otherwise we would reject it if we were satisfied - and so my point was - where you are dissatisfied - to me, 12th house (and one could possibly stay that way for ever without change) is where the dissatisfaction gets sifted out and the 'reach' for 1st gets moved forward thru the 12th by transits.

But yeah - 1st house, Mars, Aries - usually when there are aspects to any of the 1st house players and/or any angle) there will be a shift forward that may seem like it comes out of the blue but usually it's something that needed to be discarded after those 12th house transits - the old one door opens another closes thing.

Hmmm... Saturn rules my first house, and several of those out of the blue events had at least some minor detail involving Saturn. If nothing else, the moon passed over my natal Saturn that day, or was transiting my first house.

In any case, all of these transits I'm going through right now (Uranus on IC and having its opposition, Saturn transiting through my twelfth house, progressed Mercury stationing retrograde) will take, or have taken, between many months and a couple of years to go through. After Saturn transits my twelfth, Jupiter is coming along, and Mars will zip past Saturn and transit my twelfth in the next month. Lots of twelfth house transiting, but I'm not feeling fed up with everything. Wanting some change, yes, and frustrated that it's not all happening faster, but I've also got some action going on.

Kitchy

Banned
The mobile affect - like John Bradshaw's family dynamic visual - when one planet is touched the ones that touch it are touched.

Significant changes / opportunities, call it whatever, usually come at the angles - the houses before the angles usually tell us where we're fed up. Often 12th house.

Osamenor

Staff member

Last time Saturn crossed my AC, I was a few months into eighth grade. There was no big transformation then. Some 8-9 months later, I started high school, and that was much more of a change. That was the chance to reinvent myself, since in high school, there were lots of people who didn't know me and didn't know anyone else who knew me, either, so I could be anyone for them.

Ah... and I just discovered this: when I started high school, Saturn was retrograding back toward my AC, still within orb of conjunction, and Uranus was approaching my AC. Social reinvention there?

muchacho

And then, how do we allow for the different quality in planetary transits?

If one person has their MC in Cancer and another has theirs in Capricorn, the Cancer MC is going to have much shorter and more frequent transits of their tenth house ruler... but, from what you said, it sounds like the Capricorn MC would have more meaningful transits of theirs. Same could be said of rising signs.

I have an interesting situation with my MC ruler: MC is in Libra, and natal Venus is retrograde. It turned direct by progression about 7-8 years ago, but by then, it was almost conjunct my natal sun, which I think would make it combust by progression? (Venus is 17-ish degrees from the sun in my natal chart.) Because of the retrograde, and because it's placed in one of my biggest houses, my progressed Venus is staying in the same house (the eighth) for most of my life. So, there's not going to be much difference, at least by house and sign, in the progressions of my MC ruler, and it sounds like it's progressions that count if the ruler is an inner planet.

And when you say planets transiting the tenth... does that include the sun, Venus, and Mercury, which transit annually, and the moon, which transits monthly? By that light, I ought to have career emphasized specifically in the autumn months, when those planets are transiting that part of my chart. But in my experience, career happens, moves forward, or stagnates at any time of year. Same could be said for romance and the houses that rule that.
Right, the houses that fall into cancer will have a rather volatile fate. However, the influence of fast moving planets is mostly of a psychological nature. But the Moon has a special role. The Moon influences all transits all the time just by the mere nature of its different phases. The waxing Moon is a positive force, the waning Moon is a negative force. Which means if let's say Jupiter is transiting your 10th then a waxing Moon will tilt results more into the positive direction and a waning Moon more into the negative direction.

Also, physical manifestations show up with a slight time lag. But the mental and emotional manifestations are usually instantly. And when planets transit a house they have to be within around 5 degrees of the most sensitive point of a house (aka cusp) in order to show obvious results. If they are much further away then you usually won't notice anything.

spock

Start with your perceptive comment, "Common sense says . . . you have to be out there looking." That's what a transit that's "good for" a given kind of development actually predicts, that in some sense you'll be "out there looking" (for that sort of outcome) more insistently than at other times. Transits don't indicate, symbolize, or predict events per se. Rather, a given kind of transit times a recurrent kind of motivation (or psychological drive since it's intrinsic rather than extrinsic) that sometimes is strong enough and/or interacts with circumstances in such a way that it results in a visible external event. Mars transiting conjunct, square, or opposite its natal place, for instance, tends to coincide with decisions or commitments that result in a change in your daily routine — where you go, how you get there, what you do, who you encounter and interact with, and how, how you move around in space and time. Some characteristic events: looking for a new job, or a job change at your current place of employment, rearranging or buying new furniture, changing the grocery store, department store, hardware store or bank we normally do business with, buying a car, starting an exercise regimen or diet plan, a new activity or a revision of an existing one, beginning or ending a relationship (or both). Don't have a lot of data, needless to say, but love affairs appear to begin and end with one of these Mars transits.

I like to think of age transits, a planet conjoining, squaring, or opposing its natal place, as primary and transits of that planet to other "planets" as secondary. When Mars transits the Nonagesimal*, or NG, we're less likely to put things off, more likely to overcome inertia and do something. Some action we take during one of these transits, that we don't notice or think much about at the time, will turn out to have been the beginning of an ongoing pattern of activity or involvement. You might want to break up with your boyfriend during a Mars-Mars transit but shy away from a confrontation, or you might want to ask your boss for a raise but lack the nerve. During the next Mars-Sun transit following that Mars-Mars transit you might find the courage to confront your boyfriend or ask for that raise. Keep in mind, though, that it's the impetus, not necessarily the outcome, that coincides with the transit. You might give notice to your landlord during a Mars-Mars transit but not actually obtain another apartment and start moving your things until several weeks later. You might get that raise but it won't necessarily go into effect immediately.

Change happens on different levels. A colleague turned professional as an astrologer as Saturn transited opening square his NG. That is, his sense of identity changed. He came to see himself as a professional astrologer. Within the longer period of the Saturn transit Mars squared its natal place. At that time he contacted the telephone company and arranged for an ad in the yellow pages as a consulting astrologer. That decision both reflected his changing self-image and manifested it at a more immediate level. Now he was taking calls, setting up appointments to meet with clients, doing charts in preparation for such meetings, and meeting with clients. Now he was doing the things a consulting astrologer does.

Marriage or the equivalent often begins or ends during a Saturn-Venus transit. At such times we feel a need, not necessarily consciously, for emotional and material security, and formalizing personal or financial relationships helps accomplish that. Mars transits will supply more specific timing than the months long period of the Saturn transit. If a marriage is rocky and one of the partners decides to separate, he or she will ordinarily do so during a Mars transit. If a couple decide to get married the instigator — it need not be the man, or the person who "pops the question" — will likely be experiencing Mars conjunct, square, or opposite its natal place. Again, it's the impetus, not the final outcome, that coincides with the transit(s). The couple might set a date six or more months in the future, by which time the Mars transit will have long since passed and the Saturn transit, too, might be out of orb. Not necessarily the ceremony itself but the commitment, and the manifestation of that commitment in the decision to get married, is what coincides with the transits.

*The Nonagesimal is the point on the ecliptic you were closest to at the moment of birth. It's where you personally are at in the zodiac. Both the ASC and DSC are by definition 90° from that point. They're aspect points to a factor — you! — rather than factors per se. The MC could be that personal point. Doubtless most astrologers will think so. It's the birthplace projected onto the ecliptic along the geographic meridian, rather than along the ecliptic meridian as with the NG. But I think the NG, not the MC, is relevant, and that the latter seems relevant mainly because it approximates the former. The ASC and DSC are on average 90° from the MC but always 90° from the NG.

Another question, really out of curiosity: what about new opportunities that turn up when you're not particularly looking for them? I've had that happen on more than one occasion. Finding love when I wasn't desperately looking for it, having a job opportunity come my way that I hadn't thought to want, getting adopted by a stray when I wasn't planning to get a pet, hearing about a new educational opportunity out of the blue that was just what I wanted but hadn't known to look for...all of those things have happened in my life, some more than once. Are there particular "lucky" transits linked to that kind of thing?
Finding love when you weren't desperately looking for it doesn't necessarily mean you weren't unconsciously looking for it, or coming across, during a given kind of transit, in a way that attracted someone else's attention. As for opportunities in general, they occur all the time, but we aren't all the time equally opportunistic, equally able to recognize opportunities and take advantage of them. Lots of things in life are random. Astrology doesn't predict or account for everything under the sun. It predicts where we're coming from and therefore what we cause to happen. It doesn't predict what happens that happens to intrigue or affect us, like a lightning strike near our house or the death (or birth) of a relative. It doesn't predict what happens to us, although we do sometimes elicit responses from others, such as when an aggressive dog bites you if it senses your fear, or when someone unexpectedly makes you a job offer because you're feeling (and expressing via body language) confidence during a Mars-Jupiter transit.

Note that in all instances I'm talking about hard-angle transits — conjunctions, squares, and oppositions. During hard-angle Mars-Mars transits, for instance, change occurs when latent dissatisfactions with our daily routine come to a head, when we feel like we have to do something. During trines we're satisfied, relatively comfotable with things as they are, inclined to make do. That's when we're least likely to want to change things. During hard-angle transits we tend to be dissatisfied, not so comfortable, and more inclined to do something about it.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Mars transiting conjunct, square, or opposite its natal place, for instance, tends to coincide with decisions or commitments that result in a change in your daily routine — where you go, how you get there, what you do, who you encounter and interact with, and how, how you move around in space and time. Some characteristic events: looking for a new job, or a job change at your current place of employment, rearranging or buying new furniture, changing the grocery store, department store, hardware store or bank we normally do business with, buying a car, starting an exercise regimen or diet plan, a new activity or a revision of an existing one, beginning or ending a relationship (or both). Don't have a lot of data, needless to say, but love affairs appear to begin and end with one of these Mars transits.
Interesting. That long relationship I mentioned... the day we met, I not only had Pluto sitting on my moon (and loosely square my Venus, which would mean loosely square his, too, because our Venuses were close together), I also had a Mars opposition to its natal position... and Jupiter conjunct natal Mars. For him, that would've meant Jupiter trine his natal Mars and Mars sextile natal Mars. When it ended, I didn't have a Mars opposition going on, but he did, and he was the one who left.

I've had repeated Mars oppositions in the past year, because natal Mars is in early Gemini, opposite where Mars has retrograded, so Mars passes that spot three times.

Astrology doesn't predict or account for everything under the sun. It predicts where we're coming from and therefore what we cause to happen. It doesn't predict what happens that happens to intrigue or affect us, like a lightning strike near our house or the death (or birth) of a relative. It doesn't predict what happens to us, although we do sometimes elicit responses from others, such as when an aggressive dog bites you if it senses your fear, or when someone unexpectedly makes you a job offer because you're feeling (and expressing via body language) confidence during a Mars-Jupiter transit.
Well, that unexpected job I got, I interviewed for as Mars was moving out of a trine with natal Jupiter and applying conjunction to transiting Jupiter (which was transiting natal Venus)... so there's that. But what about the opportunity coming along in the first place? How I wound up in that interview was pretty out of the blue. And what about it being a space available for me? If there had been lots of other people interviewing who were at least as qualified... and my sense is that there weren't... it wouldn't have been as likely that I would get it, confidence or no.

Osamenor

Staff member
The mobile affect - like John Bradshaw's family dynamic visual - when one planet is touched the ones that touch it are touched.
So if a planet is in an aspect that planet being touched by a transit activates the aspected planet, too. If it's a complex aspect--grand trine, t-square, grand cross, kite, etc.--that would activate the whole thing, wouldn't it? I would think there might also be a domino effect. If my sun gets hit by a transit, moon and Jupiter are activated because they're in grand trine with my sun, and then Jupiter's t-square would also be activated... I think?

Significant changes / opportunities, call it whatever, usually come at the angles - the houses before the angles usually tell us where we're fed up. Often 12th house.
Although, I would think which planets get transited where play a part, doesn't it? If I have a transit entering my twelfth house, it's hitting my moon. Wouldn't that be a different ball of wax than the same twelfth house transit happening to someone with an empty twelfth house, and different from a moon transit happening to someone with the moon in a different house?

Kitchy

Banned
So if a planet is in an aspect that planet being touched by a transit activates the aspected planet, too. If it's a complex aspect--grand trine, t-square, grand cross, kite, etc.--that would activate the whole thing, wouldn't it? I would think there might also be a domino effect. If my sun gets hit by a transit, moon and Jupiter are activated because they're in grand trine with my sun, and then Jupiter's t-square would also be activated... I think?

Although, I would think which planets get transited where play a part, doesn't it? If I have a transit entering my twelfth house, it's hitting my moon. Wouldn't that be a different ball of wax than the same twelfth house transit happening to someone with an empty twelfth house, and different from a moon transit happening to someone with the moon in a different house?

Absolutely! (then the dynamics of the stronger planets involved can be seen by whose running the show. A good example of this would be if a transit of Saturn aspected a kite-head Mars. Saturn is forced to deal with Mars before he gets any cooperation from the other 'harmonious' aspects it has within the kite's grand trine.

spock

Mars transiting conjunct, square, or opposite its natal place, for instance, tends to coincide with decisions or commitments that result in a change in your daily routine — where you go, how you get there, what you do, who you encounter and interact with, and how, how you move around in space and time. Some characteristic events: looking for a new job, or a job change at your current place of employment, rearranging or buying new furniture, changing the grocery store, department store, hardware store or bank we normally do business with, buying a car, starting an exercise regimen or diet plan, a new activity or a revision of an existing one, beginning or ending a relationship (or both). Don't have a lot of data, needless to say, but love affairs appear to begin and end with one of these Mars transits.
Interesting. That long relationship I mentioned... the day we met, I not only had Pluto sitting on my moon (and loosely square my Venus, which would mean loosely square his, too, because our Venuses were close together), I also had a Mars opposition to its natal position... and Jupiter conjunct natal Mars. For him, that would've meant Jupiter trine his natal Mars and Mars sextile natal Mars. When it ended, I didn't have a Mars opposition going on, but he did, and he was the one who left.

I've had repeated Mars oppositions in the past year, because natal Mars is in early Gemini, opposite where Mars has retrograded, so Mars passes that spot three times.
I doubt that the Pluto conjunction is relevant, even if Pluto has an astrological effect, about which I'm far from certain. I think Saturn squaring your Sun accounts for it being a long-term relationship. The Mars opposition would not account for the relationship lasting that long. It accounts for physical attraction, infatuation, the intense desire to be with that person. But if it were just a Mars-Mars relationship and nothing more it wouldn't have lasted more than two years, three at most. Jupiter conjunct Mars and square Mercury and Venus is probably also relevant. Jupiter transits coincide with new interests, hobbies, enthusiasms and friendships, things you enjoy doing and people you like to be with because you share common interests.

Astrology doesn't predict or account for everything under the sun. It predicts where we're coming from and therefore what we cause to happen. It doesn't predict what happens that happens to intrigue or affect us, like a lightning strike near our house or the death (or birth) of a relative. It doesn't predict what happens to us, although we do sometimes elicit responses from others, such as when an aggressive dog bites you if it senses your fear, or when someone unexpectedly makes you a job offer because you're feeling (and expressing via body language) confidence during a Mars-Jupiter transit.
Well, that unexpected job I got, I interviewed for as Mars was moving out of a trine with natal Jupiter and applying conjunction to transiting Jupiter (which was transiting natal Venus)... so there's that. But what about the opportunity coming along in the first place? How I wound up in that interview was pretty out of the blue. And what about it being a space available for me? If there had been lots of other people interviewing who were at least as qualified... and my sense is that there weren't... it wouldn't have been as likely that I would get it, confidence or no.
I can't say much without more complete information. Although you inadvertently muddied the water with one of your comments, I'm guessing that you interviewed for the job circa Sept. 22 or 23. Since you also say in one of your comments that your start date was the last day of the month, I'm guessing that would have been Sept. 30. But in what sense was your winding up in that interview out of the blue? Sometimes occurrences are happenstance. Astrology doesn't predict or account for everything that happens. It's possible that an opportunity just happened to occur at a time, Mars square Mars, when you were in a mindset in which you were likely to recognize and jump on it. But there's also the possibility that it wasn't as out of the blue as it seemed. With regards to the beginning of your long-term relationship, for instance, you say in one of your posts that a friend had been trying to set you up. So that meeting wasn't quite out of the blue. Transits indicate where we're coming from, and that not only determines what we do but also how we affect others. Sometimes we overtly cause things to happen. Sometimes the way we come across during a transit elicits reactions from others. Friends often have a pretty good idea who we might be attracted to. Your unexpected job opportunity might similarly have a non-magical, non-blind luck explanation. Ditto for finding out about the herbalism school. You said you got an email. From whom? Why did they send you that email? Was there a reason they (whoever sent the email) thought you might be interested?

That venture, by the way, strikes me as the kind of life-changing development characteristic of what Daniel Levinson, in Seasons of a Man's life, called the Mid-Life Transition. That transition runs from 38 to 43 or 44. It coincides with Uranus opposite Uranus and Neptune square Neptune. I've assumed, since the Uranus transit is the opposition and the Neptune transit the square, that they're probably about the same length. At the very least the former begins no later than age 40. You indicate in one of your posts that your Uranus opposition will be starting pretty soon — “I understand the average age for the Uranus opposition is 42-43.” In fact you're already in it, and your pursuing not just a new career but one that's a complete break with your previous job history is attributable to it. Saturn was squaring your Sun when you began this endeavor, which accounts for the career change per se. (Different cycles stand out in different people's lives. Saturn-Sun might stand out in yours.) Did you find out about this opportunity when Mars was transiting opposite natal Jupiter? You might experience further career developments, which similarly make sense in terms of your Uranus (and Neptune)-timed changes, when Saturn squares your birthplace (i.e., transits over the Asc) and later opposes its natal place.

One last thing. I like to check my theories against people's experiences whenever the opportunity arises. You mention on 7/31/16 that "I'm just going on two years of study," whereas if asked I would have guessed July 2014 with Jupiter square and Mars opposite natal Jupiter (although the Mars opposition in September following the Jupiter transit might also make sense). If you don't mind my asking, when did you begin your astrological studies? (Confirmations are nice, but counterexamples are often more informative.)

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
I doubt that the Pluto conjunction is relevant, even if Pluto has an astrological effect, about which I'm far from certain. I think Saturn squaring your Sun accounts for it being a long-term relationship. The Mars opposition would not account for the relationship lasting that long. It accounts for physical attraction, infatuation, the intense desire to be with that person. But if it were just a Mars-Mars relationship and nothing more it wouldn't have lasted more than two years, three at most. Jupiter conjunct Mars and square Mercury and Venus is probably also relevant. Jupiter transits coincide with new interests, hobbies, enthusiasms and friendships, things you enjoy doing and people you like to be with because you share common interests.
Interesting.

I can't say much without more complete information. Although you inadvertently muddied the water with one of your comments, I'm guessing that you interviewed for the job circa Sept. 22 or 23. Since you also say in one of your comments that your start date was the last day of the month, I'm guessing that would have been Sept. 30.
My start date was indeed September 30th. The interview date is close, although I think it was slightly earlier. I was offered the job in a phone call two days after the interview, and started about a week after the offer, once all the paperwork was done and processed.

I remember that when I went to fill out the paperwork, there was a Yom Kippur service going on nearby (several churches plus synagogue in the neighborhood). I just looked up the Jewish holidays for last year, and Yom Kippur fell on September 23rd. So the interview must've been a couple days earlier.
But in what sense was your winding up in that interview out of the blue?
I hadn't been actively job seeking, and while the job was in a field I had worked in previously, I thought I didn't want to go back. A family member of mine had worked for that organization, retired recently, but stayed in the loop and knew they were desperately seeking people and put the director in touch with me. She initiated the contact, not I. I felt I had to at least go through with the interview, and when I was offered the job, I didn't have enough else going on to be able to turn it down. So I accepted... and found that I liked it quite well after all.
With regards to the beginning of your long-term relationship, for instance, you say in one of your posts that a friend had been trying to set you up. So that meeting wasn't quite out of the blue.
True. I think I'm the only person involved who felt there was something out of the blue. After the relationship got underway, my boyfriend told me that he'd started noticing me several months before we actually met, and had a crush on me, and tried to talk to me, but I never really responded beyond a brief "hi." I don't remember that at all.

Then, after a few months of that, he went out with some of his friends, who also knew my friend, and they ran into her. She told me that she talked to him for half an hour and had a strong feeling that he was right for me. The interesting thing is, she and I had a rather difficult friendship: we were roommates initially (found each other through our college's roommate request board) and we were in constant conflict living together. When I moved out, we became better friends. Even then, though, it's not like we were together all the time and super close, we just got together now and then.

She called me after she met the guy and told me she'd met someone she thought I should meet, and who he was. After a month of us not getting together, she threw a party and invited both of us. That's when it started.

You said you got an email. From whom? Why did they send you that email? Was there a reason they (whoever sent the email) thought you might be interested?
It came from one of the herbalism school teachers, and I was on her mailing list, but that's the only emailing list email I ever got from her. Obviously, she doesn't send them out that often! I got on her mailing list because I was interested in herbalism, and she was a friend of a friend (I found her through a link on the mutual friend's website, but didn't get on her list until I'd met her in person, at an unrelated event). I signed up for the list thinking I'd contact her sooner or later and ask some questions about getting into herbalism, but I never did it.

So the email was not specifically for me personally, but it was an answer to the question I'd never asked.

That venture, by the way, strikes me as the kind of life-changing development characteristic of what Daniel Levinson, in Seasons of a Man's life, called the Mid-Life Transition. That transition runs from 38 to 43 or 44. It coincides with Uranus opposite Uranus and Neptune square Neptune. I've assumed, since the Uranus transit is the opposition and the Neptune transit the square, that they're probably about the same length. At the very least the former begins no later than age 40. You indicate in one of your posts that your Uranus opposition will be starting pretty soon — “I understand the average age for the Uranus opposition is 42-43.” In fact you're already in it, and your pursuing not just a new career but one that's a complete break with your previous job history is attributable to it. Saturn was squaring your Sun when you began this endeavor, which accounts for the career change per se.
Saturn was not squaring my sun when I started herbalism school. I have sun at 22 Leo; Saturn was at 14 Sag the day herbalism school began. When I got the email, Saturn was earlier in Sag, but well out of square with my sun. What Saturn was doing when I started this course was transiting my natal moon (15 Sag).

However, there's a detail I didn't include in this thread: I took a different herbalism course two years ago, a basic introductory course, with different teachers, and it just so happens that the teachers in my current herbalism school all studied with those teachers. I got into that one in a similar way: I'd been on a mailing list that had been pretty well dead, then there was suddenly an email sent out about this course being offered again (they'd offered it before, but not for several years)... and that happened when Saturn was squaring my sun.
(Different cycles stand out in different people's lives. Saturn-Sun might stand out in yours.) Did you find out about this opportunity when Mars was transiting opposite natal Jupiter?
Mars wasn't quite there yet. Natal Jupiter is in late Aries (on my IC), and Mars didn't reach my MC until right around Christmas. I got the email at the end of November, but I tend to think of it as December because I was so busy when it came in that I was unable to read my emails for a while. It was early December when I got around to it, mid December when I got the application in. During that time, Mars was transiting Libra, but not quite to my MC and opposition with Jupiter yet.
You might experience further career developments, which similarly make sense in terms of your Uranus (and Neptune)-timed changes, when Saturn squares your birthplace (i.e., transits over the Asc) and later opposes its natal place.
That also makes sense in terms of the track I'm on. I'll be watching for those transits and see what happens then!

One last thing. I like to check my theories against people's experiences whenever the opportunity arises. You mention on 7/31/16 that "I'm just going on two years of study," whereas if asked I would have guessed July 2014 with Jupiter square and Mars opposite natal Jupiter (although the Mars opposition in September following the Jupiter transit might also make sense). If you don't mind my asking, when did you begin your astrological studies? (Confirmations are nice, but counterexamples are often more informative.)
It was September. Your second guess is right. I don't remember precise dates, but I do remember that I started reading about astrology again and trying to actually apply it to my chart shortly after I had a solar return reading. My birthday is in mid August (about to happen again)! and I got the reading a few days to a week afterward, and picked up The Inner Sky, which I had read before without really being drawn into it, a week or two after that. This time, I was hooked.

The date that I have a record of is the date I joined this forum--October 4th, 2014--and I joined after maybe two or three weeks of reading astrology books and trying to puzzle out my chart on my own.