seems no help here or any1 to advice me out

ariesgurl

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents regarding the Gita...I have heard a few stories from the great book and they are indeed very powerful and thought provoking but I feel that more and more as I age and mature. When I was young I didn't really understand what was being taught because my life experience was limited. I don't think it is a matter of Indians not reading it but the issue is probably truly understanding it and applying it to everyday life as you guys have pointed out. I also want to point out that to most Indians the Gita isn't some book you just pick up and start reading. I was always taught that since it is the holy book it is something that must only be read while being clean and pure. Indians will understand what is meant by that. The book is to be respected and treated like it is God and we don't just relax with on the sofa like any other book out there. Probably another reason why most Indians don't read it. I have only been told stories from the book in a religious setting ie. during prayers.

I guess we could just pick up an English translated version from the library or bookstore but I think a lot of the book is lost in translation. Some phrases and words in Hindi/Sanskrit don't even exist in English language.

For me personally, there is nothing like listening to the teachings being told by a priest in a prayer like setting. I think that is when your mind is the most open and receptive to the ideas of the Gita.

IMHO

greybeard

That's nice if you understand Sanskrit. I don't.
I will satisfy myself with the morsels that fall from the table.

The whole point of the discussion, as far as I'm concerned, is that the Gita is a very concise and complete guide to healing the wounded soul. It is eminently practical.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, I think everything we come into contact with should be treated as holy, not just some book with the label "heart of God." Most of the Tenth chapter of the book is devoted to explaining this idea.

As far as "purification and cleanliness" go, you can perform all the ablutions and rituals under the Sun toward that end and still remain impure. The purification comes from living and practicing the teachings, not from ritual ablutions occasionally done, or flowers placed upon some altar.

I do not need or desire to be taught by some priest, or my parent... My journey must perforce be a solitary one. There is no way around that. I must therefore rely entirely on myself. We should remember the life of Gautama Buddha, who attained enlightenment only after he rejected all teachers and their disciplines, and set out on his own.

ariesgurl

That's nice if you understand Sanskrit. I don't.
I will satisfy myself with the morsels that fall from the table.

The whole point of the discussion, as far as I'm concerned, is that the Gita is a very concise and complete guide to healing the wounded soul. It is eminently practical.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, I think everything we come into contact with should be treated as holy, not just some book with the label "heart of God." Most of the Tenth chapter of the book is devoted to explaining this idea.

As far as "purification and cleanliness" go, you can perform all the ablutions and rituals under the Sun toward that end and still remain impure. The purification comes from living and practicing the teachings, not from ritual ablutions occasionally done, or flowers placed upon some altar.

I do not need or desire to be taught by some priest, or my parent... My journey must perforce be a solitary one. There is no way around that. I must therefore rely entirely on myself. We should remember the life of Gautama Buddha, who attained enlightenment only after he rejected all teachers and their disciplines, and set out on his own.

fair enough...just wanted to put an idea out there from the POV of an Indian person. People may not agree with our rituals and ablutions but that is all part our culture and religion and what we are taught.

Im not saying the Gita loses it value when translated but more wondering how much is lost in translation.

Everyone's journey is a solitary one but maybe because I am still young I prefer it being taught to me by someone who is supposed to be more enlightened through age or wisdom.

oh well, different strokes for different folks!

greybeard

Fair enough....I just wanted to put out the POV of an American person. People may not agree with my comments on rituals and ablutions, but that is what has come from life experience, an independent mind, and the testing -- and ultimate rejection -- of what I was taught.

I have worked as a professional translator (Spanish/English) and am keenly aware of the difficulties involved in translation. Juan Mascaro, whose translation I recommend to those of us who do not understand Sanskrit, was born to a Catalan family in Majorca. His mother tongue was Catalan, though he also spoke Spanish. In early youth he discovered the Gita, became enraptured of it, learned Sanskrit so he could have access to the original. He studied languages at Cambridge, and was a professor of English there, specializing in the Authorized Version of the Bible.

The London Times Literary Supplement said this of him on publication of his translation of the Gita: "The task of truly translating such a work is indeed formidable. The translator must possess at least three qualities. He must be an artist in words as well as a Sanskrit scholar, and above all, perhaps, he must be deeply sympathetic with the spirit of the original. Mascaro has succeeded so well because he possesses all these." I did not choose Mascaro's work because I read a review such as this one. I chose it because I studied several available translations and found it to be the most clear and understandable, and the one that I intutively felt best transmitted the spirit of the original.

Each person must choose the way that they follow according to their own nature. Again, the Gita itself tells us this (chapter 12, for example). We have the paths of Bhakti yoga, Jnana yoga, Karma yoga....all ultimately leading to surrender in love of the fruits of one's actions, upon which follows peace.

I sit quietly under some tree by the roadside. The sky is clear, the moon full. I take the Gita from my backpack and begin to read by moonlight. I have not purified myself through any ritual, but my mind is eager, my soul thirsty, my heart open. I am pure....

I read about "surrender in love of the fruits of one's actions." I contemplate the meaning of this, and reaching some understanding of it, resolve that I will henceforth live and act in that spirit. I will train myself toward that goal...I will hold that idea in consciousness as I live through each day.

Last edited:

greybeard

Goodness, Raymond...

"...I am afraid" in this context does not mean Aquarius is afraid of Vedic astrology. It amounts to an apology of sorts.

I might, for example, say "I am afraid I don't speak Hindi."

R

rishimanglesh

The Gita is teaching of following path of rightousness and it motivates a soul from transition from pt 2 to pt 1 out of 10 steps from above sutras.

Those whoever not reached to pt 2 will not understand Gita thus they are more conducive to follow wise men.

To reach pt 2, there is other worldly knowledge to be acquired first.

In case of current case, native expressed desire to satisfy his parents somehow with his capabilities which he has put above his success in enterprise. He does not says this to please them alone but as his duty towards his parents to serve them. The feeling of dharma comes from culture and Gita does not clearly tell us about dharma but talks about following dharma and various union by following it. Thus, Gita gives different interpretation to different context. It was different to Arjun,
different to Sanjay, Dhritrashtra or you and me as we have different dharma according to our existence.

My personal opinion is one should read gita once atleast even like a novel because it is a message which should be learnt before worshipped but it is even better learning with rituals or with wise because they could help us intergrate the message in our way of life .

Dear greybeard, we must also ponder on idea that why did krishna chose arjun for teachings why not duryodhan .. May be problem area was duryodhan who need to teached as our common sense tell us so. But truth is , mind should be receptive to understand wisdom.. and that is not true in all cases.

aquarius7000

Hi,
...As far as "purification and cleanliness" go, you can perform all the ablutions and rituals under the Sun toward that end and still remain impure. The purification comes from living and practicing the teachings, not from ritual ablutions occasionally done, or flowers placed upon some altar.
I think the point trying to be made, going back to Ariesgurl's post, is that, by bathing and cleaning oneself prior to reading The Gita (or a Holy scripture, we show respect towards Him. I do agree with that point, and try to follow it myself, too. I don't think that we can compare that with being internally pure- something for which some, perhaps actually most of us, can wait a whole lifetime. I also think that the point of personal hygiene before we touch a religious scripture also has to do with self-discipline; it has to do with renouncing the comfort of laziness and ease. It is also something viable, nothing not (easily) achievable. It is not the same as the somewhat harder task of being thorough in Sanskrit or Hindi first, before we can delve into His teachings through Gita.

:)AQ7

Last edited:

greybeard

The originator of this thread has made almost no comment.

And this is turning into a religious discussion.

The discussion should return to the plight of the young man.

He should be offered the opportunity to see that his failures in business, in love and marriage, his failure toward his parents....all resolves to a spiritual problem.

Because, from my point of view, the young man's crisis is essentially spiritual, I suggested he study and put into practice the teachings of the Gita. It is part of his cultural heritage, therefore appropriate to him. I am not interested -- in the case at hand -- in whether or not the book is divine, whether or not I should wash my hands before reading it. All I know is, from years of personal experience, that the book has the power to change a life.

The catch in all of this is that it takes time for such a change to take effect, and this young man is distraught, and severely so from all appearances, in the here and now. He has allowed himself to become caught in the maelstrom of despair before crying out for help, and it may be that no lifeline can pull him out of descent into the abyss.

He has developed a habitual dependency on others, and does not seem to understand or know how to take full responsibility for himself. He almost certainly believes that by continuing his habitual patterns of behavior things will change for him, which is an absurdity. And the conjunction of Saturn-Pluto suggests that any sort of change is extremely difficult.

What is the astrologer (psychiatrist, priest, business consultant) to do in such a case? The most immediate and practical solution would be to assist this young man in attaining some measure of success in his enterprises. I suggested that he try jewelry, and briefly described how he might go about it. I know that the method I described works, because I have done it myself.

Rajarshi

seems no help here or any1 to advice me out,i asked for way of my problem yesterday posted twice time but i didnt found single reply :crying:

10yrs back i faced huge loss and got into finacial problems,whenever i start anything i get into problems and cannot complete it....my finance condition is very much weak,even after working upto my strength but no improvment..sometime feel like to kill myself but i care for my parents which stops me from taking such step....i lost my love..and now marriage is also getting delayed....also now i feel to quit job so i can have peace inside and start my own business either into providing IT services or Sell online female cosmetic products or imitation jewellery...

Sir kindly guide me and show me path what will be good so i can keep my parents happy which will give relief to me ...

my details
Name Jaikumar
Place of birth Ulhasnagar
Time 04.00pm (Evening)
DOB 04/May/1983

Dear Jajkumar,

Will you please explain why/how did you face huge loss and which year?

Best wishes

Rajarshi

R

rishimanglesh

Well said. Although there is no harm in having well intended discussion but it is not good idea to hijack the thread of original poster. So, I wish good luck to Mr Jai Kumar and you should explore very practical advise you have received in here so far :smile:

friends4vjjk

Sorry to all members but as no internet connectvity at my area from 2-3days couldnt check thread but what ever you ppl mention will surely follow

He should be offered the opportunity to see that his failures in business, in love and marriage, his failure toward his parents....all resolves to a spiritual problem.

Because, from my point of view, the young man's crisis is essentially spiritual, I suggested he study and put into practice the teachings of the Gita. It is part of his cultural heritage, therefore appropriate to him. I am not interested -- in the case at hand -- in whether or not the book is divine, whether or not I should wash my hands before reading it. All I know is, from years of personal experience, that the book has the power to change a life.

The catch in all of this is that it takes time for such a change to take effect, and this young man is distraught, and severely so from all appearances, in the here and now. He has allowed himself to become caught in the maelstrom of despair before crying out for help, and it may be that no lifeline can pull him out of descent into the abyss.

He has developed a habitual dependency on others, and does not seem to understand or know how to take full responsibility for himself. He almost certainly believes that by continuing his habitual patterns of behavior things will change for him, which is an absurdity. And the conjunction of Saturn-Pluto suggests that any sort of change is extremely difficult.

What is the astrologer (psychiatrist, priest, business consultant) to do in such a case? The most immediate and practical solution would be to assist this young man in attaining some measure of success in his enterprises. I suggested that he try jewelry, and briefly described how he might go about it. I know that the method I described works, because I have done it myself.

friends4vjjk

Sure sir,

During 2000 i cleared my 12th my parents asked me to work and save ur income for education fee due to which i took break for year but during yr family financial conditions were low i hve give them my salaray..and i started working for one travel agency ....working overthere i came across some ppls who provide finance on some rate of interest round 5-10% ...then one my cousin came to trvel and he was in need of money he asked me to be gurantor and he will return amount after he goes to home....i borrowed around 20k at intrest of 8%-10% for him ....but he didnt returned and i was paying interest for him ...in between he was like ok i will send money....i couldnt pay total amt as it reached to somewere around 30-35k with intrest by yearend...

place i was working one junior guy ran away with account book ...so i didnt had account book with me and owner whom i paid 30-40k denied that i paid him..also these people whom i borrowed money were behind me...at same time customer who gave me advances for tkt booking said they paid me full amt as all things hppned at same time....i couldnt prove that i had not done any fraud ....my parents supported me and paid amt ..which my father borrowed as loan....and this way i had spent my 10yrs of recovering from debt...but i couldnt manage to study...my dream of bcoming enggneer shattered....

anyways but this thing made me learn many things who are really with me n who r not....but really whenever i start anything i face some other problems..and that thing is left inbetween..not at age of 30 i m with unstable carreer n financial stability not there...

Dear Jajkumar,

Will you please explain why/how did you face huge loss and which year?

Best wishes

Rajarshi

Last edited:

friends4vjjk

isir

i have got gita at home which i read 2-3chapters n i know its give answers to all question...n myself i have tried to get answer and path by placeing my self in arjuna's shoe and asking question to lord krishna and found path....but these problems sometimes are ssuch make u drag to worrinesss and make me weak

friends4vjjk

its true that when u read bhagwad gita it give realisation that Lord Krishna is with u

greybeard

The Bhagavad Gita is a "manual for healing the wounded soul," disguised as the story of a battle.

I told how I use it in a previous post. How you use it, if at all, is up to you. If you have a "wounded soul", and who among us does not, then it will profit you to assiduously study the book -- daily -- and as your understanding grows, put it into practice in your life.

The Bhagavad Gita speaks of "confusion of mind," and explains how to deal with it.

I once spent six months in an ashram in Mexico. I went there thinking that, finally, I would have the opportunity to sit at the feet of a guru and soak up spiritual wisdom. The morning of my arrival I was handed an ax and a saw, and directed to cut down and dispose of an entire citrus orchard. Following on that task, I spent the next three months or so crawling around in poison ivy, reconstructing a mile or two of fence that had been devastated in a hurricane. I never once sat at the feet of a guru. It was one of the most powerful spiritual experiences of my life. For one thing, I learned that the guru is superfluous.

Last edited: