Arabic Part of Fatality question

Lucius22

I was checking out my Arabic parts and I realized that my part of fatality/tragedy is at 5 degrees Leo in my 12 house conjunct my Asc at 6 degrees Leo. This doesn't look good... what do you guys think?

photon11111

Premium Member
I love your last comment.

The part of fortune is an Arabian point. I have found transits involving it are weak. Unless I am looking for the event, I don't notice it. I wouldn't concern myself. If you want to learn, watch the major transits to that point.

You didn't say what planets were use to find the point. I have found that there is a slight difference among astrologers as to the planets used.

JUPITERASC

I was checking out my Arabic parts and I realized that my part of fatality/tragedy is at 5 degrees Leo in my 12 house conjunct my Asc at 6 degrees Leo.
This doesn't look good... what do you guys think?
The Arabic Parts are particularly time-sensitive :smile:
so the time of birth needs to be reliably accurate
otherwise the Arabic Parts could be off by a few degrees

Should I be concerned or..?
Rather than jumping to conclusions, research your natal chart for accuracy
and since ours is an astrological learning forum
then also learn how Arabic parts are delineated
http://www.astro.com/astrology/in_fortune_e.htm

photon11111

Premium Member
Ancient astrology did not have the advantages we have. Modern measuring instruments such as watches, telescopes, etc changed the accuracy of placement of the planets. Whether a person uses sidereal or tropical makes a difference in location in the zodiac. Different methods of delineation were used, so different methods of prognostication were used. The Arabian parts are found by placing one planet on the ascendent and finding the location of another. The two together should represent the area of life experience the astrologer is looking for.

JUPITERASC

Ancient astrology did not have the advantages we have.
Not necessarily
Modern measuring instruments
such as watches, telescopes, etc changed the accuracy of placement of the planets.

Whether a person uses sidereal or tropical makes a difference in location in the zodiac.

Different methods of delineation were used, so different methods of prognostication were used.

The Arabian parts are found by placing one planet on the ascendent and finding the location of another.

The two together should represent the area of life experience the astrologer is looking for.
Ancient astrologers had the great advantage of clear unpolluted skies
that were not obscured by high rise blocks and/or skyscrapers :smile:

Ancient astrologers had the advantage of not only being astronomers but also of being mathematicians
and so
ancient astrologers were easily capable of using the complex maths skills necessary to create a natal chart

and had no need of today's computer-generated charts

without which many
(although not all)
of today's modern astrologers would be completely unable to function

furthermore
astrological software is not standardised
and differs,
dependent on the opinions of each software writer
furthermore
not all software is as accurate as many assume

As for accuracy of watches and timepieces
often watches are fast or slow
or have simply stopped functioning due to mechanical error

photon11111

Premium Member
Thank you. I will accept the premises that the naked eye with a clear sky can see the planets better than a telescope and that a sundial is more accurate than a watch.

JUPITERASC

Thank you. I will accept the premises that the naked eye with a clear sky can see the planets better than a telescope
Cities are so large, that often the skies are blocked with high-rise buildings, skyscrapers and other commercial buildings
so in that case neither naked eye nor a telescope can reveal the visible planets

consider also weather conditions ~ often clouds obscure the skies
so then even in rural locations neither naked eye nor a telescope can reveal the visible planets

In that case then
these days we can revert back to our astrological software
~ even if ironically the software writers vary regarding their creations of natal charts
and that a sundial is more accurate than a watch.
sundial is certainly 'more accurate than a watch' so far as the recording of local time

however
unless the climate is sunny on a regular basis
then cloudy skies and rainy days obscure the local time

so then watches can after all be useful
:smile:

Interestingly

Sundials tell "sun time". Clocks and watches tell "clock time".
Neither kind of time is intrinsically "better" than the other
- they are both useful and interesting for their separate purposes.
"Sun time" is anchored around the idea that when the sun reaches its highest point (when it crosses the meridian),
it is noon and, next day, when the sun again crosses the meridian, it will be noon again.
The time which has elapsed between successive noons is sometimes more and sometimes less than 24 hours of clock time.

In the middle months of the year, the length of the day is quite close to 24 hours,
but around 1 September the days are only some 23 hours, 59 minutes and 41 seconds long
while around Christmas, the days are 24 hours and 31 seconds long.

"Clock time" is anchored around the idea that each day is exactly 24 hours long.
This is not actually true, but it is obviously much more convenient to have a "mean sun"
which takes exactly 24 hours for each day, since it means that mechanical clocks and watches,
and, more recently, electronic ones
can be made to measure these exactly equal time intervals.

Obviously, these small differences in the lengths of "sun days" and "mean days"
build up to produce larger differences between "sun time" and "clock time".
These differences reach a peak of just over 14 minutes in mid-February
(when "sun time" is slow relative to "clock time")
and just over 16 minutes at the beginning of November
(when "sun time" is fast relative to "clock time").
There are also two minor peaks in mid-May
(when "sun time" is nearly 4 minutes fast)
and in late July (when sun time is just over 6 minutes slow)
(These minor peaks have the fortunate effect, in the Northern hemisphere,
that the differences are relatively minor during most of the months when there is a reasonable amount of sunshine).
The differences do not cumulate across the years,
because "clock time" has been arranged so that, over the course of a four year cycle including a leap year,
the two kinds of time very nearly come back to the same time they started.

(The "very nearly" is because "clock time" still has to be adjusted by not having a leap year at the turn of each century,
except when the year is exactly divisible by 400, so 1900 was not a leap year, but 2000 will be).
Even with this correction, we had an extra second added to "clock time" recently.
The reasons for these differences are discussed below,
followed by some information on what the differences are at given times of year.
If you want to see the actual values of sun time and clock time for your (or any other) location
we recommend Time Zone Master which is free and also has plenty of astronomical data as well
http://www.sundials.co.uk/equation.htm

Lucius22

Thanks for the reply guys. The site I used to calculate it was "Libracentre.com". The formula was ASC+Saturn-Sun.

Plus my birth time is accurate. :wink:

So the part of fatality's influence isn't strong? I'm new to the whole Arabic astrology stuff. I just saw that it was with my Asc and freaked.

If you guys want, I can post my chart. (If that'll help).

JUPITERASC

Thanks for the reply guys.
The site I used to calculate it was "Libracentre.com". The formula was ASC+Saturn-Sun.

Plus my birth time is accurate. :wink:

So the part of fatality's influence isn't strong?
I'm new to the whole Arabic astrology stuff.
I just saw that it was with my Asc and freaked.

If you guys want, I can post my chart. (If that'll help).

'....Dating from antiquity, the doctrine of the Arabic parts
has been virtually lost to Western astrological practice since the 17th century :smile:
In his book, Robert Zoller retrieves this valuable key to prediction
and provides a clear and simple guide to its practical application.

In the third section of the book, the author illustrates
the practical use of the parts in natal, horary, and mundane astrology.
His understanding of the parts and their place in a comprehensive interpretation of any horoscope
is presented with lucidity and insight ,
unraveling for the reader this fascinating and long-neglected astrological science.....'

THE ARABIC PARTS IN ASTROLOGY: A LOST KEY TO PREDICTION
http://www.amazon.com/The-Arabic-Parts-Astrology-Prediction/dp/0892812508

AL BIRUNI's LIST OF PARTS
COMPILED AND ANNOTATED BY DEBORAH HOULDING
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/alparts.html