Should I hire someone I'm astrologically incompatible with?

Cr8tvScorp

Hello,

I joined this community in the hope to get some answers from astrology experts or people who have a breadth of experience to tap into. To date, in my life, the people who I'm 'supposed' to get along with, I do and those that I'm not terribly compatible with are a definite oil and water combination.

I'm presently running interviews to hire someone to work for me. I met this individual today who gave an excellent first impression and seemed quite experienced, most likely providing the skill sets required for the role. He said everything right, which isn't too hard to pull off if you're a people person and intuitive. He revealed in part of our conversation that he just had his birthday in early May which meant he was a Taurus Snake. I'm a Scorpio Horse and have never in my life been close to, or particularly liked snakes (no offense to any on here :smile:). When I read up on this sign this evening, everything he said from studying at chef's school to loving shopping, perfectly aligns with his sign's characteristics. I'm trying to remain objective but one of the qualities is laziness which hits my trigger point. If there's one thing I don't have tolerance for, it's someone who is slow or lazy.

Can anyone on here confirm if this is something to be wary about given our two sets of signs?

waybread

Depending on where you live (say, in the English-speaking world or northern Europe) you would be really in hot water if you work for a major employer and use astrology for your hiring decisions. It will probably have policies on hiring practices that don't include astrology. Plus-- astro-compatibility goes so much further than simple sun-sign astrology!!! You would kind of have to compare two charts in their entirety.

If you worry that this person might be "slow" or "lazy", why not phone one of his references to find out the truth about him? If he has the sun in Taurus but a lot of supplementary fire in his chart, he should be anything but.

Note that you really are hiring someone for a particular position. If it were me, I would compare the person's entire chart with the demands of the job. I figure that two mature adults can work out any personal differences. Plus, this person reports to you.

If it is your own company, oh well. I guess you can hire on any basis you wish.

Last edited:

Cr8tvScorp

Great feedback thanks. Yes I feel guilty even considering this to be a deciding option and certainly wouldn't explain to others that I remotely considered it. I do however want to ensure that both this individual and I are happy with the setup. I'm very professional and always try to find out what works best for everyone and comply to that but I've dealt with enough 'difficult' types in the workplace to know that it's ideal if avoided. I'm being very cautious on this.

Yes on a side note, it would be important to know rising signs, etc. as well as that plays a huge role.

waybread

Difficult people in the workplace can be a problem, but I think it would be rather rigid to suggest, "I don't get along with Taurus Snakes." This puts the onus on you as a manager, rather than on a hapless job applicant who just happens to have a sun-sign you don't like. If an employee has been difficult to work with, hopefully phoning his references would be a way to determine how he got along with his previous employer.

I don't know how much astrology you have studied, but most of us who have studied it would want to analyse both charts as wholes. Mercury indicates thought and communication; the moon indicates one's emotional nature; Mars, one's assertiveness, and so on. Then the 6th house relates to work and employment. The 10th house deals more with one's career as a vocation and public image.

The nature of your business or agency would also have astrological indicators.

Caro

another day another stereotype.

I dont agree that taureans are lazy.

Well not some of my family and close friends. (born c60's) They are really hard working and always on the go.one has a Phd another used to work 15+ hour days at a bank.

(they do have some aries planets).

(dont agree that librans are lazy either)

in any office/work situation I would have thought it good to have a mix of signs to keep things balanced.

Flowergirl

You would need to see the entire chart to make such a decision and that would mean knowing the applicant's birth time, which is inappropriate to ask for. :unsure: It is amazing how wrong Sun-sign astrology can be. Lots of people have a majority of characteristics that is opposite to their Sun sign or in conflict with it. Lots of people can't relate to the horoscopes you read in the magazines. Real astrology is much more complicated than that.

Also remember that when group effort is required, having people with different temperaments and expertise can be a huge benefit. As manager, you need to tap the best out of them.

All the best

waybread

Even without a correct birth time, you can get a fair bit off a birth date and location: just don't use houses for the employee. If you know your birth time, you can get a better sense of how his planets affect you.

Cr8tvScorp

I appreciate everyone's feedback, although some of it was unnecessarily hostile in my opinion. We made a hiring decision today that had nothing whatsoever to do with the astrological sign. In fact I advocated that we seriously consider this individual as I felt that the skills were strong and this person would be a cultural fit as well. One other had more experience in what we were seeking though.

I do agree that one has to really do a full analysis to get a better understanding of who someone is; however, truth be told, 8 times out of 10, when I meet someone I can predict their sign (including Chinese) based on their interests and behaviour patterns. We're not as 'unique' as people would like to believe.

And to respond to the comment about the 'Taurus' being lazy, it's typically shown in a subtle fashion - sometimes work, sometimes a lack of exercise, etc. but doesn't have to be a dominant trait and often is only in one specific area. I believe the snake can emphasize this trait though - less tenacity; whereas a Tiger or Rooster would balance that out more. Before you retaliate with arguments, think carefully about a Taurus you know and you'll understand these comments.

Kerrie

When I was hiring "way back when" I did go through applicants and choose compatible sun signs for me. I got a girl thats birthday was on the 2 March and mine was on the 3 March, well a few months later as transiting uranus crossed our Sun, she was driving during our lunch break and we happened to be in a car accident which turned my life upside down, but she never got any injuries and I think took over my job as I couldnt go back. So now I dont think I would base it exactly on the date but maybe compatible signs :)

My partner on the other hand is born on the 1 March (me dont forget is on the 3 March) this works out because whatever happens, it happens to us together.

My Moon is Taurus and no I have never been lazy in any of my jobs, I have had 2 bosses with Taurus sun signs and they have done really well for themselves careerwise. I think if you are going to judge on the sign for career, have a look at the 10th house and planets within, I have Saturn as my ruler.

It would be hard to ask for the time of birth when hiring though, good luck.

Ryan Kurczak

I do a lot of relationship compatibility and have done my fair share of assessments for businesses who wanted to check out a potential employee or business partner first.

From my experience, it depends on the specific planetary placements within each individual charts. While it may be true that generally speaking certain Sun Signs get along better on average, there are a host of other influence that are more important and cumulative in their effects in regards to compatibility.

There is also timing to be considered. Compatibility may be great, but if the individuals are not in mutually supportive times, it doesn't matter.

PS- I'm not sure why it would be wrong to ask a potential employee or business partner for their birth information. If the person explained why they were asking, and they consent, that should be OK.

Last edited:

Moog

A while back, I spoke to a person who was vehemently against astrology, and they raised the issue of using astrology to discriminate in job selection.

Other forms of discrimination are okay, like aptitude tests, or having or lacking certain qualifications, or not getting on with the selection comittee or interviewer.

Either a person is fit for the job and to fit into the company, or they aren't.

An interview is a way of determining this. And so is an astrological reading, assuming you know what you're looking for.

Last edited:

astrology02

Before I decided whether to stay at my current job or not I found out my boss' birthdate. We were astrologically compatible and have been successful when it comes to work together.

People do compatibility analysis for friends, family members , so why not for coworkers?

I agree with others who say you have to get the full picture first. To generalize based on sun sign could come back to haunt you in the future. A person may be a great friend or lover, but it's important to make sure it would be a good fit professionally.

waybread

I think astro-compatibility might be desirable for someone who is hiring a personal secretary, or right-hand man or woman. It can be helpful in such employment relationships to have someone who can intuit your needs and therefore work well without a lot of direction.

However, in most organizations there is a mission to fulfill, and possibly profits to make, a product to sell, share-holders to satisfy, clients to assist, and so on. So the purpose of the organization is generally other than having a team with a lot of personal compatibility with the boss. It's helpful if this is so, but if people are considerate and professional in their behaviour, they should create supportive workplace relationships anyway. They should be hired on the basis of their experience, skill-set, and probable contribution to the mission of the organization, not their sun-sign.

It is illegal in the US and Canada to discriminate in hiring practices on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, physical (dis)ability, sexual orientation, and marital status; even if the supervisor personally dislikes people different from himself. Probably it should be illegal to discriminate on the basis of an applicant's sun-sign, notably where the applicant has a lot to offer the organization.

Spica

As an interviewer for a position you have a clear responsibilty for assessing each applicant on their merits. As wonderful a tool astrology is for giving us insights into others and ourselves, it is not intended to weight your decision based on your own prejudices. Rather it is intended to guide & enlighten you with a wider knowledge of human characteristics so you can understand better who you are dealing with and so learn to tolerate a wider circle of people in your life. As a manager you should be challenging your own prejudices with the less provincial ethic of "live and let live so long as you do your job well".

And before judging him so negatively, remember astrology facilitates a two-way exchange. In your case as a Scorpio Horse you are magnetic, popular, disciplined and accomplished, persuasive and inspired, dedicated and fashionable. Being both independent and autonomous, you aim for a success in a world class way. You are seen as a strong-minded, sassy individual - a "can-do" person with immense personal power.

However, you have an attitude problem [no, this is not seen as an asset - this is a nice way of calling you PREJUDICIAL or perhaps BIGOT is a better fit]. Woe unto the employee who is not just as capable. A Scorpio Horse has no patience for lilly-livered laggards. You ride yourself hard and expect the same of your partners and employees.

This is a side of yourself you need to work on. I will admit that a Taurus Snake thinks he is pure sex on wheels and you would in fact feel both very tempted and intimidated at the same time by this guy who is basically a sleezy dirt-bag (well, speaking as a Leo Goat, I have observed that double Tauruses are anyway)! But, of course, this is an affront to your authority as a female boss.

But Dirt Bags have to eat too! If his resume and interview alone made him a top contender for this position, then he deserves a crack at the job. If not, forget him and go with the better choice.

Remember it is NOT his problem - just yours. You're a manager, so deal with it!! You're a grown woman and you know how to behave yourself around all types of men. So his personality type has irritated you from past experience - he may be the exception to the rule and turn out to be great guy.

Astrology is so complicated that some Taureans Snakes do not behave like dirt-bags. They can be decent great guys because of other positive astrological factors - a strong Saturn makes Taurus very conservative, down-to-earth and very responsible at work. Don't condemn the Snake side of him which might merge more in his private life - which is none of your business.

Give the applicant you finally choose a chance to prove themselves - one with a good resume deserves such a chance because his good efforts of the past deserve credit. His astrological type should have nothing to do with it.

Taureans as employees make great personal assistants and I don't mean that in a lascivious sense. If you have doubts about his ability to perform his work duties to your satisfaction, why not offer him the job on a trial basis. You will know after 4 weeks whether he can perform to your satisfaction AND that it's only his work performance that you are interested in.

Don't use astrology to indulge your prejudices. Challenge them and try to be a better person - that is part of the benefit of knowing astrology - it gives us a guide to what is wrong with us and why our relationships fail. But my advice as an experienced astrologer is never to treat a person as a type -that is our primitive prejudices talking. It is true that as astrolgers we DESCRIBE them as types to save time and to highlight a PATTERN of behaviour. But a good astrologer regards all people as individuals - and acknowledges that we all have the capacity to rise above the limitations of our horoscopes but can only do so with the tolerance, compassion and wisdom of others in our lives.

For it is by our inhumanity that we are born into a mess and make it even worse as the years unfold. And only by the grace of our humanity we can learn to rise above it to share a better life.

Spica

Last edited:

gen6k

Im a 3rd decan taurus snake and I can definetly keep up during work except I like to take longer breaks or break several rules.

As for early taurus that is more tied to aries so they are probably more "go-getterish" than me with that analytical snake thing you cant pin down.

i did hear that snakes like to work in solitude, i rather work in public but then i get in to trouble with women at work. so really its up to his qualifications and he'll leave if he cant do the job.

as for astrological compatibility yeah it does matter a lot, some bosses react differently or special towards certain people and i dont like special attention but i cant help getting it. some are supportive of what i do, and others are not and try to stifle what i do.

so it matters if practically you are supportive of what he does.

when it comes to actual synastry many things are going to matter in a subtle, moment to moment fashion. youre not going to for example be obsessed with each other romantically, but instead you might have certain ideas about each other that could lead to fights or maybe a stronger agreement (composite chart + 1.7 years maybe)

Last edited:

JasonLA

My sign is compatible with Taurus and Scorpio. I can see why they can have a little problem working together. Ironically, both of these signs are very royal and will work to death if committed.