Celibacy in traditional astrology

lostinstars

Hi,

Which planets and aspects are responsible for making a person celibate for a large part of life or the entire life not for spiritual development but to prevent the native from having a sexual life?

I feel a very strong Mercury as the chart ruler or a very dominant planet, very strong Saturn (need not be the chart ruler) and a badly dignified Venus are responsible for a forced celibate life.

I think Mercury alone can cause the damage without help from any other planet.

What do others think?

Thanks

SMB

Well....I am 45 now....and I havent had sex in my life so far....:surprised:

So,probably my chart will be the best example in this topic :biggrin:....also I am not into spirituality and stuff...If you want I can put up my chart here...However, I dont know which chart to put - Western;Vedic or any other....

lostinstars

Can you explain a little more what you see as the connection between mercury and celibacy?

My understanding came from personal experience as well subscribing to the archetypes of Jung. Mercury's archetype is Puer aeternus similar to Divine Child, living in endless fantasy world and refusing to take chances looking for perfection in opposite sex. I also feel Mercury is an androgynus god (not a strictly male god) contributing to fertility and orgies. A person with a very strong Mercury can be overtaken by voyeuristic fantasies showing less inclination to particpate in the sexual act itself. All these lead to involuntary celibacy.

I'm not getting any information on traditional astrology's perspective on celibacy.

Last edited:

moonkat235

Hi,

Which planets and aspects are responsible for making a person celibate for a large part of life or the entire life not for spiritual development but to prevent the native from having a sexual life?

I feel a very strong Mercury as the chart ruler or a very dominant planet, very strong Saturn (need not be the chart ruler) and a badly dignified Venus are responsible for a forced celibate life.

I think Mercury alone can cause the damage without help from any other planet.

What do others think?

Thanks

I have a debilitated Pisces Mercury (it's also conjunct Mars), but I'm curious about what you mean as badly dignified Venus.

I have a domiciled Venus in Taurus, but it's opposite Jupiter, which I think my friend said was Almuten Figuris under a certain trad method. I think he used a Ptolemaic method that determined Jupiter was my strongest planet.

I have my Saturn in Pisces conjunct Moon, but closely sextile Venus and Saturn is the ruler of my Capricorn AC.

I'm still young (age 25), but celibacy and avoidance of sexual intimacy is a very strong theme in my life.

Celibacy as a theme was imposed by my conservative protestant Christian upbringing and lots of sexually dysfunctional or traumatizing experiences as a young child.

Last edited:

moonkat235

Been lookin at my chart again. 7H ruler is Moon (conjunct Saturn in Pisces) and 5H ruler is Mercury conjunct the lesser malefic Mars (also in Pisces). Also ruler of the 8H is also Mercury. Idk if that paints a picture about those sorts of themes.

Venus in Taurus is conjunct the IC, so a very intimate and private area of the chart. My South Node is also exactly sextile Mars and I heard the South Node/Ketu can cause blockages, etc. so maybe that's also a contributing factor? Idk someone else chime in please!

[Deleted reference to posts in this thread that mentioned outer planets, because this is a strictly traditional thread and the outer planets posts have been deleted accordingly. - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Osamenor

Staff member
All,

This is a traditional astrology thread, on the Traditional Astrology board. Do not post in any thread on the Traditional board without reading the specific rules of this board. Several of you evidently have not read them, and have hijacked this thread with non-traditional posts. I've just deleted 14 posts mentioning outer planets and asteroids, and a response to this post:

If you want I can put up my chart here...However, I dont know which chart to put - Western;Vedic or any other....

... telling the asker to post their Vedic chart. Vedic charts do not belong on the Traditional Astrology board.

If you want to post about asteroids, outer planets, Vedic astrology, or anything else that isn't traditional Western astrology, take it to another part of the forum. This one is for traditional only.

No hijacking,
Osamenor

Osamenor

Staff member
Hi,

I have all three of those factors, and I have not been celibate all my life--in fact, I've had a long term relationship that was very intensely sexual from start to finish--but I've had long periods of celibacy. Seems to be an all or nothing proposition for me.

I think Venus in particular is something to look at. I was once at an astrology lecture where the speaker said she'd found, based on her experience with clients, that if a client had a Venus-ruled seventh house, and their Venus turned retrograde by progression, they would not be in a romantic relationship (and apparently celibate) for the entire retrograde by progression period, which is about 42 years.

But that's possible only if your DC is in Taurus or Libra and Venus was direct when you were born but went retrograde within however many days after your birth equals however many years old you are now. People born during Venus retrograde are not affected that way, people who don't have a Venus-ruled seventh house won't see much if any effect on their love or sex life due to progressed Venus changes in direction, and if your progressed Venus is never retrograde in your lifetime, it's a moot point.

And I don't know if it's universally true. That one astrologer claimed it was, but that was based on her experience, which of course didn't cover everyone in the world.

waybread

lostinstars, do you want to post your chart? It's hard to answer your question without seeing the entire chart. For example, a planet might look debilitated, but if it is in mutual reception with another planet or in an angular house, it can be strengthened.

The entire chart might help us to discuss whether you are by nature more private or even reclusive, for example, such that it is hard for you to meet potential love interests.

I find that Astrodienst (free) charts at www.astro.com are the easiest to read. On the chart construction page, you have the option of preparing a more traditional chart by turning off the trans-Saturn planets and inputting various ancient authorities' terms and faces. Placidus is the default house system but you can change it to whole signs if you prefer.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Hi,
Which planets and aspects are
responsible for making a person celibate
for a large part of life
or the entire life
not for spiritual development but
to prevent the native from having a sexual life?
'....Before consulting an astrologer, always keep in mind the fact that
“the stars IMPEL, they DO NOT COMPEL”.
This means that the stars and planets produce influences
but DO NOT force us to follow those influences....' :smile:
https://www.pressreader.com/india/hindustan-times-lucknow/20141117/281827167064166
I feel a very strong Mercury as the chart ruler
or a very dominant planet, very strong Saturn (need not be the chart ruler)
and a badly dignified Venus are responsible for
a forced celibate life.
interesting way to avoid acknowledging responsibility by blaming "the stars"
I think Mercury alone can cause the damage
without help from any other planet.
What do others think?
Thanks
a natal chart must be read as a whole
taking one planet in isolation is generalising
and
generalisation is fun
but unreliable

lostinstars

I have all three of those factors, and I have not been celibate all my life--in fact, I've had a long term relationship that was very intensely sexual from start to finish--but I've had long periods of celibacy. Seems to be an all or nothing proposition for me.

I think Venus in particular is something to look at. I was once at an astrology lecture where the speaker said she'd found, based on her experience with clients, that if a client had a Venus-ruled seventh house, and their Venus turned retrograde by progression, they would not be in a romantic relationship (and apparently celibate) for the entire retrograde by progression period, which is about 42 years.

But that's possible only if your DC is in Taurus or Libra and Venus was direct when you were born but went retrograde within however many days after your birth equals however many years old you are now. People born during Venus retrograde are not affected that way, people who don't have a Venus-ruled seventh house won't see much if any effect on their love or sex life due to progressed Venus changes in direction, and if your progressed Venus is never retrograde in your lifetime, it's a moot point.

And I don't know if it's universally true. That one astrologer claimed it was, but that was based on her experience, which of course didn't cover everyone in the world.

Thanks for the interesting insight on Venus. I made the post just to discuss what could cause celibacy according to traditional astrology and as you have all three conditions I listed clearly I'm mistaken.

Last edited:

lostinstars

lostinstars, do you want to post your chart? It's hard to answer your question without seeing the entire chart. For example, a planet might look debilitated, but if it is in mutual reception with another planet or in an angular house, it can be strengthened.

I could not find a way to show all the information including the calculation of almuten, dignities from astro.com. I made this post to discuss which planets could cause celibacy or forced celibacy for a native.

Like how Osamenor mentioned there could be some things which are not seen from a chart but contribute to celibacy. If you still want to see my chart, here it is.

Attachments

• newchart.jpg
    newchart.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 99

lostinstars

'....Before consulting an astrologer, always keep in mind the fact that
“the stars IMPEL, they DO NOT COMPEL”.
This means that the stars and planets produce influences
but DO NOT force us to follow those influences....' :smile:
https://www.pressreader.com/india/hindustan-times-lucknow/20141117/281827167064166

interesting way to avoid acknowledging responsibility by blaming "the stars"

a natal chart must be read as a whole
taking one planet in isolation is generalising
and
generalisation is fun
but unreliable

I think we discussed this in another long heated discussion with others, I do not know who said it but clearly the person is wrong from my perspective as I strongly find stars compel all the time. :biggrin:

I'm trying to understand the underlying reasons for celibacy from traditional astrology's perspective, nothing about taking responsibility or not.

Osamenor

Staff member
Lostinstars, check the ephemeris for the year you were born. Your DC is in Taurus, which makes Venus its ruler, and you were not born during a Venus retrograde. If Venus went retrograde within however many days after your birth equals however many years old you are now, you have Venus retrograde by progression, which would make the progressed Venus retrograde explanation a possibility. If it didn't, that can't be it.

However, you don't have a debilitated Venus. It's in domicile. Although it's in the twelfth house, at least in whole sign, the essential dignity it has from being in Libra should make it strong. It just may not be as accessible to you as it would be in an angular or even a succedent house. And it's got an aspect with Jupiter. No matter what kind of aspect it is, any aspect with a benefic is another strengthening factor. A trine would be even stronger, but a square still gives it some help. Same is true (I believe in both traditional and modern astrology) of aspects with a luminary, and your Venus is also square your Moon.

Last edited:

AJ Astrology

Thanks for the interesting insight on Venus. I made the post just to discuss what could cause celibacy according to traditional astrology and as you have all three conditions I listed clearly I'm mistaken.

Hi lostinstars,

That's because they're wrong.

Hi,

None.

It's the chart conditions, not the planets.

Your chart has Venus in the west. That is one of many conditions that may lead to celibacy, hermitage or delayed marriage.

Understand it is not Venus, it is the location and condition of Venus in your chart. Big difference.

That's an issue of contention between modern and traditional, especially when modern distorts and claims traditionals say Saturn in H7 means no marriage, even though no traditional astrologer has ever said that.

Saturn, under certain conditions in H7, can lead to no marriage. An Aquarian Saturn in H7 is going to get married, probably only once and lasting until death.

A Leo Saturn is hardly the same as an Aquarian Saturn.

You have a Virgo Venus in H8. That is the problem. Not Venus, not Virgo, not H8, but Virgo Venus in H8.

See how that works?

Since it's at 0 deg a lot of traditionals would consider it to be still in H7, but the signification is similar. It's an indicator of celibacy, hermitage or delayed marriage. You just have to read Dorotheus or Maternus or Ibn-Ezra.

The Sun's up in your chart, which is not good for Venus (or Mars) since she likes the night.

There are no aspects to your Venus.

Ruler Mercury is inconjunct in the adjacent H9 with Sun. Venus is not in aspect with Mars and would never perfect the square.

That's what you look at, the chart, not a specific planet.

I would say your Leo Sun/Mercury impacts your views since H9 is spiritual matters, philosophies, ideas, travel and such.

Osamenor

Staff member
Your chart has Venus in the west. That is one of many conditions that may lead to celibacy, hermitage or delayed marriage.

Understand it is not Venus, it is the location and condition of Venus in your chart. Big difference.

You have a Virgo Venus in H8. That is the problem. Not Venus, not Virgo, not H8, but Virgo Venus in H8.

I would say your Leo Sun/Mercury impacts your views since H9 is spiritual matters, philosophies, ideas, travel and such.
That doesn't describe lostinstars' chart. The one attached above has Venus in Libra in H12, Sun and Mercury in Virgo.

conspiracy theorist

Although modern statistical analysis applied to natal charts disqualify as "non-traditional" (but seeing as how I'm seeing not so strictly traditional techniques here it doesn't seem out of place) a study done on prostitutes saw Virgo Venus being statistically significant for the set. This was using the astrodatabank. For comparison Taurus and Libra Venus were low in frequency.

In theory, essential dignity shows quintessence, angularity shows frequency/volume. There are indications in the tradition that topical and/or angular placement of planets is telling of what befalls a person, more so than which sign the planet happens to be in.

Celibacy or anything in life happens for different reasons for different people. In OPs case, I see that the temperament of the chart is melancholic-choleric (the least sociable temperamental combination) and the combination of the "loudness" of Saturn (planet of solitude, contemplation, cloistered study, retreat, somber personality) and the "quietness" of Venus (love relationships, social life, lightheartedness, charm) are all mutually reinforcing factors. Venus does not regard the ascendant, and is located in the house of loss/exile. Ruler of the ascendant is on the heart of the Scorpion.

The chart suggests a personality that is intense, harsh, demanding, somber, inclined to solitude/deep contemplation, combative, intimidating and unsociable. Social contacts aren't made easily because personality is not naturally friendly or interested in ingratiating self with others. More inclined to keep own counsel, and in extreme cases might be misanthropic.

Aspects provide more detail, but I won't go into them. Important to note that all factors reinforce each other in this case, so that I am not saying that a Venus in the 12th sign will always incline to celibacy, or any other single factor. For a counter example, take the chart of Donald Trump. Say what you will about him, but his chart is another example of having Venus in the 12th sign, and by the accounts of those who he knew in childhood, as well as all the 3 wives and many children that is easily provable, he did not lack for female attention.