SUPREME COURT Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dead at 87

david starling

Barrett seems qualified and she'll probably have the votes in the Senate, possibly with Mike Pence having to break the tie. She'll have to answer for herself first in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee, where the Democrats will ask hardball questions.

It also seems to be the case that most (not all) of the SCOTUS justices who are appointed as conservatives become more liberal, once on the bench.

She'll be under a microscope when it comes to any religion-related decisions.

One Republican Senator claims he won't vote for her confirmation unless she actually pledges to vote to overturn Roe v Wade! He's obviously unclear on the concept of non-partisanship for Supreme Court Justices.

Last edited:

blackbery

Which Republican Senator said that?

What is the source?

She will ABSOLUTELY be confirmed by the Republican-held Senate, they have already stated this within one hour of her official appointment by the President.

Republicans assert sense of inevitability on Barrett’s confirmation
GOP senators are quickly rallying around Trump’s Supreme Court pick, with plans for a preelection vote despite Democratic opposition.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/26/supreme-court-confirmation-hearing-date-422039

btw, Judge Barrett has already said her personal objection to abortion will not super-cede legal precedent, she's not an 'activist'.

She'll be under a microscope when it comes to any religion-related decisions.

One Republican Senator claims he won't vote for her confirmation unless she actually pledges to vote to overturn Roe v Wade! He's obviously unclear on the concept of non-partisanship for Supreme Court Justices.

david starling

What is the source?

She will ABSOLUTELY be confirmed by the Republican-held Senate, they have already stated this within one hour of her official appointment by the President.

GOP senators are quickly rallying around Trump’s Supreme Court pick, with plans for a preelection vote despite Democratic opposition.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/26/supreme-court-confirmation-hearing-date-422039

btw, Judge Barrett has already said her personal objection to abortion will not super-cede legal precedent, she's not an 'activist'.

Well of course she had to SAY that. Now we'll see if she's a woman of her word. There's nothing in the rules that will hold her to it.

I'll look for the Senator's name who demanded she agree to help overturn Roe v Wade. I'm guessing he'll vote for her regardless.

blackbery

So it wasn't about Judge Barrett but just a general comment.

The Republicans are planning a very quick confirmation hearing & they hold the majority in the Senate & will achieve their goal.

Her words: Amy Coney Barrett on faith, precedent, abortion'

“I would decide cases according to rule of law, beginning to end, and in the rare circumstance that might ever arise — I can’t imagine one sitting here now — where I felt that I had some conscientious objection to the law, I would recuse. I would never impose my own personal convictions upon the law.

“A judge may never subvert the law or twist it in any way to match the judge’s convictions from whatever source they derive.”

Democrats have to accept that not every person agrees with them on every issue. If they could, they would ban, censor, reject, wipe away any form of opposition entirely. That's not a democracy but totalitarianism.:sick:

noun
a system of government that is centralized and dictatorial and requires complete subservience to the state.

Totalitarianism is a concept for a form of government or political system that prohibits opposition parties, restricts individual opposition to the state and its claims, and exercises an extremely high degree of control over public and private life.

It was Senator Josh Hawley, in late Aug. He said he won't vote for ANY nominee who won't openly declare against the Roe v Wade precedent.

david starling

The Republicans are planning a very quick confirmation hearing & they hold the majority in the Senate & will achieve their goal.

“I would decide cases according to rule of law, beginning to end, and in the rare circumstance that might ever arise — I can’t imagine one sitting here now — where I felt that I had some conscientious objection to the law, I would recuse. I would never impose my own personal convictions upon the law.

“A judge may never subvert the law or twist it in any way to match the judge’s convictions from whatever source they derive.”

Democrats have to accept that not every person agrees with them on every issue. If they could, they would ban, censor, reject, wipe away any form of opposition entirely. That's not a democracy but totalitarianism.:sick:

noun
a system of government that is centralized and dictatorial and requires complete subservience to the state.

Totalitarianism is a concept for a form of government or political system that prohibits opposition parties, restricts individual opposition to the state and its claims, and exercises an extremely high degree of control over public and private life.

She's included in his category of "any candidate". Since she's on record saying all of these reassuring things, it will be interesting to see if he votes for her.

JUPITERASC

What is the source?

Democrats have to accept that not every person agrees with them on every issue. If they could, they would ban, censor, reject, wipe away any form of opposition entirely.

That's not a democracy but totalitarianism.:sick:

noun

JUPITERASC

Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton
issued the following statement
in response to President Trump’s nomination
of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the United States Supreme Court:
...."What a brave, wonderful Supreme Court pick by President Trump! :smile:

President Trump has once again stood up for the U.S. Constitution
with his nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court..."

david starling

Well, I like what I've seen of Amy Barrett's chart, although there's no birthtime given. I think the Democrats should go ahead and vote to confirm her. You know, show her some love!

david starling

Actually, people said that about JFK. And probably about Justice Scalia. He was quite the conservative, but it was based on different grounds. Barrett clerked for him in the Supreme Court.

Well, I looked at her chart, although no birthtime given. I read about her decisions as a judge regarding abortion.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day: I actually believe Trump may have picked a good candidate for the Supreme Court! Wonder of wonders!

She makes Kavanaugh look like something that crawled out from under a rock.

I think the Democrats should vote to confirm her.

JUPITERASC

Well, I looked at her chart, although no birthtime given. I read about her decisions as a judge regarding abortion.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day: I actually believe Trump may have picked a good candidate for the Supreme Court! Wonder of wonders!

'....Judge Amy Coney Barretts record shows
that she will not only respect
but apply the U.S. Constitution
as written and intended by our Founding Fathers.
And it would be a wonderful milestone
that Judge Barrett would be
the first conservative woman member on the Supreme Court....' :smile:

JUDICIAL WATCH PRESIDENT - Tom Fitton

JUPITERASC

If God speaks to Amy,

and orders her to try to overturn Roe v Wade,

she'll have no choice but to obey, irregardless of what she says now.

all Americans should reject

the growing un-American campaign
by the radical left
to attack her family and oppose Justice Barrett
because of her religious faith.... :smile:

"....The U.S. Senate should move quickly to work with President Trump
to consider and approve Judge Barrett before Election Day.

There is not much radical liberals can do
to stop this excellent Supreme Court pick.
Leftist threats of violence and court-packing :smile:
should not slow the Senate one bit.
Judge Barrett cannot be confirmed soon enough...."

Tom Fitton

Well, I like what I've seen of Amy Barrett's chart, although there's no birthtime given. I think the Democrats should go ahead and vote to confirm her. You know, show her some love!

JUPITERASC

Joe Biden FINALLY gets fact checked even NPR called him out.

He proceeded to tell falsehood after falsehood regarding his career :smile:

and the Constitution.

Gov. Mike Huckabee explains why in this weeks Facts of the Matter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu6yNjRTg2w

"....Judge Amy Comey Barrett seems to be a full spectrum conservative
who is likely to be a force on the Supreme Court for years to come
This nomination is another great victory for constitutional government :smile:
and a blow to politicized decision-making on the Supreme Court.
Most Americans agree with Judge Barrett that
the Supreme Court should apply the law as it is written
and leave the legislating to the people’s elected representatives...."
Tom Fitton