What does having Ruler of the Ascendant in the 12th house mean/indicate?

Astrology

My rising sign is Sagittarius, therefore that ruler is Jupiter, and Jupiter is in the 12th house based on my birth chart. Is this considered to be bad? Because to my knowledge, 12th house means Loss. Is my life destined to be a failure at the end? Also, 12th house indicates secrets/hiding secrets. What does that say about me as an individual? Based on my birth chart, do I have lots of Pisces qualities/traits/characteristics? Can anyone tell?

Attachments

• Birth Chart.jpg
    Birth Chart.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Birth Chart Table.pdf
    59.2 KB · Views: 36

Delano

No with Mars and Jupiter in the 12th. Your are probably fortunate. Things seem to find you. However if you cut corners you can have instant karma. So you have probably learned vey early on to be straight. You'll be the one kid to get caught in the gang.

The_Sundance_Kid

The 12th house doesn't just means loss. It can cover the whole world of the collective subconscious. That's all the undercurrents in the world that we can feel but don't always recognise or understand. Sometimes called the "zeitgeist". E.g. the inexplicable rush for toilet roll lol. With your Asc ruler in the 12th house it might suggest that you can reach into these feelings more than others as Jupiter is strong here in the sign it rules. And because it's Jupiter perhaps you can try and channel these feelings into something more constructive. Although it is hard to take a hands on approach to the 12th house - it is something that is usually learned over a long time and through feeling and compassion rather than confronted head on. Jupiter should be good at it (but is square Saturn which suggests some communication problems around your immediate circle and difficulty in creating structure / being proactive). Mars would struggle with this too, so I'd try and work on that. Mars here suggests you may pick up or others may pick up on undercurrents of anger or difficulty in self assertion.

I see the whole theme of communication as being quite prevalent in the chart. From Mercury in the 10th showing potential to be a good and diplomatic communicator in public to Saturn creating difficulties in private communications, to the strong 11th and 12th houses showing abilities to tap into collective thinking and groups and group values and work with them.

katydid

My rising sign is Sagittarius, therefore that ruler is Jupiter, and Jupiter is in the 12th house based on my birth chart. Is this considered to be bad? Because to my knowledge, 12th house means Loss. Is my life destined to be a failure at the end? Also, 12th house indicates secrets/hiding secrets. What does that say about me as an individual? Based on my birth chart, do I have lots of Pisces qualities/traits/characteristics? Can anyone tell?

In your case, having the ruler of the Asc in the 12th is a wonderful placement.

In many cases it could be a debilitating thing. Like if someone had Aries rising, and their Mars was in Pisces in the 12th. That wouldn't be a positive thing, in general.

But in your case, Jupiter is exalted in Sagittarius, and feels at home in the 12th.

So your chart ruler is in a very nice placement. You would be very good at imagining things, thinking theoretically, and being innovative.

Jupiter in the 12th has an expansive imagination which creates opportunities and solutions to world problems, if given opportunities to do so. :ninja:

Jupiter in the 12th understands the workings of the Cosmos. It is an expansive understanding of the UNIVERSE.

Jupiter in the 12th is often very lucky. It represents having a Guardian Angel that tries to help in times of need. It is Good Karma because of accrued positive actions in past incarnations.

Astrology

What you really enjoy doing for a living (Moon in H2) versus a more profitable career (Sun in H10) doing something you enjoy less. Not exactly a unique conflict. Have you noticed this playing out in your employment situation?

Yes, I've noticed this playing out in my employment situation. But which one is stronger in my birth chart? Sun in H10 or Moon in H2?

JUPITERASC

My rising sign is Sagittarius, therefore that ruler is Jupiter,
and Jupiter is in the 12th house based on my birth chart.
Is this considered to be bad?
Because to my knowledge, 12th house means Loss.
Is my life destined to be a failure at the end?
Also, 12th house indicates secrets/hiding secrets.
What does that say about me as an individual?
Based on my birth chart, do I have lots of Pisces qualities/traits/characteristics?
Can anyone tell?
That entirely depends on which astrologer you ask :smile:
because
astrologers do not all use the same house system
and so
for beginners
there is much mess and confusion in the area of the so-called "houses"

There are at least twenty or thirty different house systems
or means of dividing the so-called "birthchart"
into twelve segments of life activity.
Placidus is simply the default
many simply assume there is no other option

ASTROSEEK offers free online WHOLE SIGN HOUSES calculation at
https://horoscopes.astro-seek.com/traditional-astrology

In astrology, houses, mansions, or domains, represent general areas of life activity
and are the grounding areas or arenas of expression for planets.
Originally, the words "houses" and "signs" were interchangeable
A planet in the SIGN of Aries was also a planet in the HOUSE of Aries
so that in effect. there were no real houses as we know them today
and
the house location of a planet may change
DEPENDENT ON THE HOUSE SYSTEM CHOSEN

for example
Whole Sign House system ascendant sign
becomes the whole first house
and the other houses follow.
ASCENDANT POINT ITSELF can then fall anywhere in the first house
and
MIDHEAVEN POINT anywhere in the upper half of the chart.

The Whole Sign House system was used by the ancient Greeks
and the Hindus (who still use it today).
It is the oldest and simplest house system in existence
and immediately eliminates the awful mess astrologers have made
on the issue over the last 1300 years or so

Artificial divisions now known as houses
were attempts by early Greeks and Hindus
to measure strength "points" in the horoscope
which during 7th and 8th centuries AD were construed or confused
as means of dividing the birth chart.
The ascendant and midheaven degrees and their opposites, for example,
were definite power points or areas of intense focus
but not necessarily the beginnings of a house or quadrant.

i.e.
using WHOLE SIGNS your natal Sagittarius Jupiter is a First House Jupiter

david starling

Yes, I've noticed this playing out in my employment situation. But which one is stronger in my birth chart? Sun in H10 or Moon in H2?

10th House is strongest. But, you'll have a "hobby" you enjoy that will end up being a source of income. Maybe something you could write a book about that would become popular.

JUPITERASC

10th House is strongest.

That's misleading :smile:
The houses are not all equal in strength and power.

If a planet is located in an ANGULAR HOUSE
it is much more forceful in its effects
than it would be in a cadent house.

William Lilly writes:
'....The angles are most powerful
the succeedents are next in virtue
the cadents poor, and of little efficacy:
the succeedent houses follow the angles
the cadents come next after the succeedents.
In force and virtue they stand so in order:
1 10 7 4 11 5 9 3 2 8 6 12
The meaning whereof is this:
that two planets equally dignified
the one in the Ascendant
the other in the tenth house
you shall judge the planet in the Ascendant
somewhat of more power to effect what he is significator of
than he that is in the tenth:
do so in the rest as they stand in order
remembering that planets in angles
do more forcibly show their effects.......'

But, you'll have a "hobby" you enjoy
that will end up being a source of income.
Maybe something you could write a book about
that would become popular.
david starling uses WHOLE SIGN HOUSES by the way
after discovering information on Whole Sign on our forum

Angular, Succeedent, Cadent

HOUSES are defined as ANGULAR = 1st, 4th, 7th & 10th
SUCCEDENT = 2nd, 5th, 8th, & 11th
and

CADENT 3rd, 6th, 9th & 12th
as shown in the diagram below.

ang.gif

The_Sundance_Kid

So I have Capricorn traits the most in my birth chart?

No I don't think so. I think the 10th house / 2nd house thing is a bit of a distraction if you are asking specifically about your 12th house scenario.

You have two planets in the 12th house, Jupiter and Mars. Jupiter seems well suited there but I don't think Mars is. Usually when a planet is not at ease in a place it doesn't mean bad things will happen (I don't think one should use astrology for predicting or generalising about the future). I think it means you have to spend more time focusing and channeling that energy into something.

If you want to look at the 10th house then the sign over it is Libra which is ruled by Venus conjunct Pluto in Scorpio so you have to look at all of that together.

A lot of astrologers interpret a planet near the cusp of one house as belonging in the next - I generally view your sun as in the 11th house for this reason.

aquarius7000

Hi,

Firstly, if you are really interested in learning Astrology, you would do well to not look at any one thing in isolation and decide on that basis whether or not "your life is destroyed".

Your Jupiter is strong because it is in its own sign of Sag., where it feels comfortable. It is good to have a strong Jup because it rules your Asc/ First House.

That said, per trad. Astrology, the 12th house is considered the house of bad spirits, isolation, destitution and the like, which is why Saturn rejoices in this house, and that is best because the likes of Mars and Saturn are best placed in cadent houses, where they are least active. Btw, similarly Mars rejoices in the 6th house.

Jupiter, house wise, does best in the 11th house of Good spirits, where it expands one's good fortune especially through the help of others.

However, Jup is of a benevolent nature, so it will not harm you, if the rest of the chart supports it. This means one will need to look at how essentially your luminaries (Sun and Moon) are doing, how active Saturn and Mars are, for instance.

Hi Astrology

The principle of Jupiter is expansive, it enlarges ones ability to 'see' and intuitively understand as well as exercise efforts to enlarge one's experience in the areas (house, sign) that surround or are affected of Jupiter's traits.
The script of Sagittarius (higher knowledge, wisdom, a verve to experience freedom in the research of those things hidden, occult knowledge, interests in foreign espionage affairs which may or may not be connected to law (Sag. of the 9th house is in a hidden 12th house position to the house of law or judgement 10th), you could serve as research assistant to uncover ther finer statutes that involve research of many different types of study. It is not slight to make an easy description of the expansive quality of Jupiter in the 12th house.

Jupiter in the 12th house deals with foreign affairs, you may experience trials of learning experiences of physical sports venue, or you might find yourself expending more of your case outflow on gaming than having gain come your way in betting arenas in your life.

The natural houses of Sag. & Pisces certainly come into play and have much to do with the way you will experience the energies of Jupiter (dignified) in his own house and sign.

The control factor should be considered those things or areas in your life which you bring upon yourself. You have the ability to 'intuitively' know about the next ditch in the road ahead, that is, if you train yourself to be aware of you 'subconscious voice' warning you ahead of time. Jupiter in the 12th house sometimes makes for an effort of disengaging oneself (freedom at any cost) from dogma of one set example. Many irons in the fire in the pursuit of a perfect religion may find you facilitating in beliefs which will make for disillusioned karmic feelings, emotions creating depression.

The Father image is important, the expectations of the parental figure often are not met which causes the self to delve deeply into inner escapism, the individual finding refuge in his idealisms of just how one should view his Father in heaven, or the higher self. Consider the aspects of planets stemming form each house for these energies to appear. So you see it is not an easy effort to know how the great benefic will enlighten one (a better-best trait of Jupiter) within this house for it is 'deep' dark, and can be felt as an epiphany of wisdom of ones self at times.

Take care of the Square energy (depression) you might feel-Jupiter makes a square (obstacle related to the houses he is effective of) with Saturn within the 3rd H.C. (daily thinking patterns, siblings etc), the third house is considered the lower area of thought rather than the higher expression of 9th house realm.

Just a few undercurrents of some great good of Jup. the great ego, benefic.
Sincerely
Student of Astrology:wink: