The opposite of "beseiged"

SagiCap

I know that planets/signifactors between the malefics are beseiged and in a very challenging place, but is there a term for planets between the benefics?

I recently saw a horary where Moon was sig in 12th Gem, though very closely sandwiched by Jupiter and Venus both. Is there any info on this?

Thanks!

Moog

I'm not sure about a specific western term, but in Vedic astrology there are two kinds of yogas called Kartari which apparently means 'scissors'

Enclosed by benefics = Shubha Kartari
Enclosed by malefics = Papa Kartari

Shubha and Papa mean auspicious and inauspicious respectively.

Last edited:

dr. farr

Personally I like the term "contained" or "containment", rather than other older terms, refering to this situation: however, I have come across the word "fortified" in reference to containment between 2 (functional) benefics, in some of the old literature.

(PS: the modern book "Planets in Containment", by Sandbach and Ballard, deals extensively with both + and - containment indications)

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Dr. Farr is right that originally the configuration was referred to as containment. This way you'd have a planet that was either contained by the malefics or contained by the benefics. Though, somewhere along the line some of the seven Hellenistic conditions of maltreatment and bonification sort of lost the part about bonification and many of the conditions were given (what I believe) were much cooler names. But, if we have to come up with a term to mean the opposite of besiegement, I'm going to vote for reinforcement, shelter, or protection.