thread number one.

starlink

Yes, to a certain degree I must agree with I'mnotthere. I am a Pig, a fire Pig apparently, and sure, I have a lot of Scorpio in my chart (Moon and Ascendant) but I feel that the Pig belongs in the 12th house, Pisces in some way. (self sacrificing galore!!) and my daughter is a Rat and she is very very Arian. I guess we all have traits of the Western equivalent of our Eastern sign in us. The fact that the Chinese also added Wood as an element makes things entirely different from Western astrology in many ways. Everytime I compare the two, I see things I dont agree with. Take the Rooster for instance. My partner. Apparently Roosters are quite vain and my partner hardly looks at what he is wearing or how his hair is. They also seem to be a bit arrogant I once read. Cant see that in him either. he is a double Virgo. But I must admit, I never saw a Virgo like him. Totally chaotic. But he has the charming smile of a Virgo.(I think Linda Goodman wrote that).

C0rnholio

Rabbits/Cats are also known for self-sacrificing, not just Pigs. Pigs, IIRC, are known for self-indulgence and sensuality.

Perhaps the match between the Western and the Chinese horoscope is not exactly 1:1, and these matches do not show them in the same areas of psyche as the Western Zodiac signs do. If they did, then everyone born in the same year would act like all Scorpios or all Pisces. They do not. But what I found to be true is that people born in the same year share deep common beliefs and attitudes. They are not as instantly visible as the Western zodiac attitudes and beliefs. They are on a different level, more deeply rooted, IMO.

starlink

I was thinking, maybe our Moonsign corresponds more with the Chinese birth sign ?, because does the Moon not play a very important role in Chinese astrology and the Chinese New Year (starting around the first full Moon of the year or something like that)? Or maybe it is Vedic Astrology I'm confused with. I am a Chinese Pig and my Moon is in the 12th house, the Pisces house, sacrifices etc. But rulers Mars and Pluto are both in a fire sign which maybe brings it back to me beign a Fire Pig. Anyways, it could just be a coincidence that this is so in my chart, probably not so in others.

Last edited:

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Hi-I'm glad we have this new Board!. I'm a Wood horse. I noticed you are a horse too-Smiling steph-we could have guessed!.
I see a connection of sorts between my Chinese sign and western astrology-wood horse fits my Saturnian ruled chart quite well-Probably the mars in cap in h1 plays out the horse energy. I have a jupiter/Uranus conjunction too in my chart which can cause sudden startling events that frighten the horses!
Interestingly I love horses and have worked with them a few times in my life due to having a natural affinity.
A few years ago when I identified myself as a Chinese horse I wasn't a bit surprised.I am a very freedom loving person too and prefer to be outdoors surrounded by nature.
Cheers
Lilly

I was thinking, maybe our Moonsign corresponds more with the Chinese birth sign ?, because does the Moon not play a very important role in Chinese astrology and the Chinese New Year (starting around the first full Moon of the year or something like that)? Or maybe it is Vedic Astrology I'm confused with. I am a Chinese Pig and my Moon is in the 12th house, the Pisces house, sacrifices etc. But rulers Mars and Pluto are both in a fire sign which maybe brings it back to me beign a Fire Pig. Anyways, it could just be a coincidence that this is so in my chart, probably not so in others.

I couldn't agree with this idea more!

I am a Water Tiger (sizzle sizzle), but a Cancer Sun (7th house) w/ a 1st house Capricorn Moon and Capricorn Ascendant, plus Mars conjunct Moon and Ascendant. That sounds like one heck of a Water Tiger!

Mod!

C0rnholio

I was thinking, maybe our Moonsign corresponds more with the Chinese birth sign ?, because does the Moon not play a very important role in Chinese astrology and the Chinese New Year (starting around the first full Moon of the year or something like that)?

The Chinese year sign corresponds to the Jupiter sign at the beginning of the year. (I need to find the source for that, but it's in one of the links posted in this thread) The Jupiter's cycle is 12 years. The Chinese cycle starts with the Rat (Jupiter in Sagittarius) every 12 years. Here is a bit about the 12-year Jupiter cycles in the Western Astrology:
http://www.beverleebrown.com/CylesClassLessonTwo.html

Here is a cool Chinese calculator:
http://www.fourpillars.net/calculator.php

The Chinese month sign loosely corresponds to the Sun sign. The Chinese months do not start on the 21st, or the 1st though. But there are 12 Chinese months, and in my case my Sun in Leo corresponds to my Chinese month of a Monkey.

In my case my Moon in Sag corresponds to the Chinese day sign of the Rat. But those chinese day signs change every day, so the Moon cycle of 29 days has more than 2 cycles of the Chinese day signs. For most people there is no correlation. Same with the Ascendants, no correlation.

Looking at the bigger picture, Jupiter conjoins Saturn every ~60 years, which according to our site corresponds to the cycles of the economic and political evolution:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/dictionary/jupiter-cycle.php

Interestingly enough, the Chinese year elements also cycle every 60 years.

Last edited:

aquarius7000

Right, so I couldn't help delving a bit deeper into, at least, the very basics of the origins of Chinese Astrology and the differences between Chinese and Western.

On his Chinese Astrology page, Brian Lewis says:
The most startling difference between Chinese and Western astrology is the method or system the Chinese used to track the planets throughout the night sky.... The Western (Mesopotamian-Babylonian-Hellenistic-etc...) stellar positions are found by reference to the ecliptic, known to the Chinese as the Yellow Path, that is, an imaginary line through the heavens traced by the Sun.[2] This may seem like the same thing, but the Chinese locate heavenly bodies with respect to the celestial north pole and the celestial equator (called the Red Path by the Chinese) rather than with respect to the ecliptic (termed the Yellow Path).[1]

As a consequence of the two different observational systems, two kinds of astrological interpretation sprang up. In the West, astrology is based on the computations of movements of planetary bodies along the ecliptic, or zodiac. In Chinese astrology, the "lunar zodiac" has prime importance. In this the sky is divided into 28 segments, each one representing a day of the moon's path through the sky.[2] This leads us to the fact that in Chinese astrology there are many stars and constellations of importance to the Chinese astrology that are irrelevant in Western astrology.[2] This being said, a Western astronomer would have a hard time recognizing a star map produced by a Chinese astrologer, even though its the same sky!!...............
Brian Lewis also touches on the 'lunar mansion' concept used in Chinese Astrology. Towards the end of the page, he also suggests authors and books.

I am a Chinese Pig..
Sounds interesting, even like a confession.:biggrin:

zipu.gif

;)AQ7

smilingsteph

I was thinking, maybe our Moonsign corresponds more with the Chinese birth sign ?, .

This sounds like it could be plausible!
I find that my "horse" sign really is really like my sun sign.
However, my sun sign is in the 4th house of home, and the natural placement of the moon is in the 4th house.

When I feel safe, nurtured and comfortable is when my "horse" qualities are exemplified.

Interesting!

Northstar10

I was born in the year of the sheep or the goat in the element of Earth. There is sometimes confusion between whether the sign is actually a sheep or a goat. Sheepgoats are typically peaceful pacifists. It is the most yin of the signs. It is also a sign of the arts. I was also born in the month of the rabbit and the hour of the monkey. The hour sign is how people appear on a more moment to moment level. It's a little like the rising sign. The year sign is a little like the Western sun sign. It is more about the core of the life as a whole. And the month sign, like the western moon sign, seems to be about the more emotional passing of seasons. Not too sure though. I only know a little about it from Chinese Horoscopes by Lori Reid.

Somebody already showed the hour sign alignments. These are the alignments for the month signs:

January Rat
February Ox
March Tiger
April Rabbit
May Dragon
June Snake
July Horse
August Sheep
September Monkey
October Rooster
November Dog
December Pig

kaminari

This is great stuff. I'm a Metal Dog Scorpio. I read White's book a long time ago & learned a fair bit of this field. I am amazed at how much we resemble / act like our animal signs. I've always made mental notes of people & watch them carefully & take into account their signs. As a Dog, Monkeys can really cheer me up, but they're always playing jokes on me. They really like my encouraging nature. I love Tigers, cause like it is said, when a Tiger enters the room, all evil tries to escape. And as a Dog, I'm always barking at people when I see anything sinister. Snakes, like my mother, have a mesmerizing intelligence & they don't like it when I call them out on things. Horses are hard to keep up with. They all seem to want me as a companion, but I find them a bit arrogant & selfish at times. Yet they always seem to be in love & I find that sweet. Yeah, Roosters are proud. Rats always busy & collecting things. Oxen working hard hard hard. And stubborn !! Goats really sensitive & sweet. Cats / Rabbits sweet also with an animal nature that needs unleashing at times. Dragons born entertainers. Pigs really honest about their romantic liasons & desires & when we get together it's always about food.

I asked my friend how this ties to the planets. He said it was probably Jupiter. Mysterious stuff indeed.

Northstar10

I went to an online chinese astrology chart calculator that said I was born in the month of the dragon! Wassup with that? Oh, and apparently
Year= Ancestry
Month= Parents
Day= Self
Hour= Children

"Bah!" says the sheepgoat.

Earth Sign

This is the calculator I used to find all my signs:

http://www.chineseastrologyonline.com/chineseastrology.htm

But the "day" is called "you", does that mean the day sign is your sign, rather than the year sign? I am a Metal Horse year, Earth Ox month, Earth Rabbit day, and Wood Pig hour.

But I've heard that the chinese lunar sign is dependant on the year of conception rather than birth, so that would set most people a year back, and turn me into a Earth Snake. Hmm, that doesn't really fit any better than the Metal Horse, lol. :andy:

They link the Rat to Sagittarius? I don't see that at all! The Rat is supposed to be money-conscious, hardworking, determined, critical, practical, not very courageous, greedy, and a liar. Sagittarian's are terrible liars! The Rat sounds kind of like an Earth sign, or maybe like Cancer gone bad. Boy, I'm no fun at all, am I? :sideways: