Moon + Saturn = Comedian

I think someone already tried to cover this before. But it is something that i'd been obsessed with. And that is, what are the fundamental elements that can be discovered in every (or almost all) natal chart of a funny person.

According to a lot of astrologers, Mercury, Jupiter and Venus are key ingredients to develop a "Charming" or "Likeable" personality. But if you think about it, there are a lot of people who are outgoing and friendly, but those are not the ones who are necessarily funny.

I believe there has to be conflict in the character of a particular individual, to create a funny persona. And the two energies i seem to consistently find in almost all natal charts of comedians are Capricorn and Cancer.

This two, working together, e.g. (Capricorn Moon, Moon and Saturn Conjuction, Saturn and Sun Conjuction, Moon and Sun, or any other varieties).

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense... If you first take the Moon (which btw, in spanish is pronounced "Luna", which is at the same time a derivative of "Lunaticus" a latin word used by Romans to describe how when the moon was closer to the earth, more people seem to lose their minds) aka "Lunatics".

And then you have Saturn. The superego, the timid, lonely cerebral who is self conscious, and doesn't get involved with emotions.

When you put the two of them together, the only way both of them can satisfy their own impulse, its through funny.

But how can funniness come from this?

If there's anything that can be said about this two energies, is that they want completely different things, and have completely different ways of asking for them.

The moon wants to call attention to herself, while Saturn is happy if you leave him alone.

The moon wants to connect with others on an emotional level, while Saturn doesn't want to get caught up on any emotional exchange.

The moon wants to behave like a child, Saturn wants to be an adult at all times.

So, how can this two energies function together, and at the same time, feel that they both accomplished what they desire?

The answer is compromise. The moon is allowed to play, but under Saturn conditions.

In any other form of creative entertainment e.g. (music, painting, drama, literature) you tend to connect to it on an emotional level. The musician shows vulnerability by opening himself emotionally through his work, the same goes for the painter, for the writer, and the actor.

But what is a joke, if you think about it? A way of getting attention (Moon), but in a way you don't expose yourself emotionally (Saturn), and distance yourself enough to get the job done, without the risk of getting people too close to see what you really feel and think.

That's why they call it a defence mechanism. And that's why there is no emotional attachement to a joke. It's all an intelectual process (Saturn), that gets to play (Moon) with words and ideas.

Of course, the moon (and perhaps Saturn), end up getting what they both want (i think), and thats the affection of others. But the medium they use to get it is in disguise, cause it would be too risky for them if they'd open up to others in a candid manner.

AppLeo

I've noticed this in a lot of comedians.

Saturn-Moon people are very funny.

Louis CK, which I personally think is funny as hell, has a tight square between Moon and Saturn.

I know. Its unbelievable.

According to my research 9 times out of 10 this elements can be found in every comedian's natal chart. Here is a list of some comedians with this configuration on their natal charts:

Late night talk show hosts:

Jack paar (Capricorn in the first house, with Saturn on Cancer at the descendant)

Steve Allen ( Capricorn sun in the first house, Moon on Sagittarius, with Jupiter conjunct Saturn on the 9th)

Johnny Carson (Capricorn Moon)

Dick Cavett ( Capricorn Moon and Capricorn ascendant)

Jay Leno ( Saturn conjunct Moon on the 7th)

David Letterman ( Capricorn Moon)

Conan o' brien (Moon conjunct Saturn on 6th)

Stand up and other varieties:

Larry david (Sun on Cancer, Capricorn Moon) (Perfect ;) )

John cleese ( Moon conjunct Saturn on the 8th)

Graham Chapman ( Capricorn ascendant and Capricorn Sun)

Michael Palin (Stellium of Moon, Saturn, Uranus, Mercury)

Louis CK (Capricorn Moon)

Mel Brooks ( Sun on Cancer, Moon on Aquarius which is Saturn's night ruler)

Carl Reiner (Capricorn Moon)

Woody Allen ( Moon and Saturn conjunction on the descendent)

Garry Shandling ( Moon in the first house on Aries, Saturn conjunct Mars in the 7th)

Marc Maron (Capricorn Moon)

Bob hope (Moon conjuct first house, Saturn at the descendant)

And there's tons more.

druex

I have a very tight Moon-Saturn conjunction in Aquarius/3rd House and all my close friends will probably agree that I'm funny, even when I'm not trying to be. Add all my dramatic Leo energy and its a party Lol. I can mimic people to a T and this is something I've read that 3rd House Moon people are really good at.

Wheez0r

To OP, if Saturn is the planet of hard knocks, perhaps those influenced would be responsible about being funny or comedians? If they have been bullied, they probably learn the thin line between what is funny and what is hurtful, even if they made fun of sensitive topics. Some that Mercury or Jupiter folk may miss or not care as much, coming off as rude or shallow?

Saturn-Moon people are very funny.
I hear them being described as sarcastic. Do you like sarcasm? Or is it about them being dead serious about things which others just shrug off?

Whoam1

I have a moon trine Saturn, that's in the 8th house and heavily aspects Pluto, Saturn also co-rules the AC with Pluto. Needless to say I'm a sarcastic **** and I make people giggle often on accident. My Mars Mercury aspect brings my inner thoughts out loud often without me realizing. Needless to say I'm glad I have the MC in libra (even if Pluto manages to rule it) to get me out of the **** i start with my mouth.

Chrysalis

I've got a witty dry sense of humor, and i've got moon sq saturn. My sarcasm is something to die for :lol:

Just checked out a UK comedians chart, who i find quite funny, due to his dry humor (Jack Dee) and he's got mercury sq saturn.

Gemini888

I've got a witty dry sense of humor, and i've got moon sq saturn. My sarcasm is something to die for :lol:

Just checked out a UK comedians chart, who i find quite funny, due to his dry humor (Jack Dee) and he's got mercury sq saturn.
Doesn't the UK already harbor a dry sense of humor? :biggrin:

Do you think it's also Gemini's doing?

Chrysalis

Doesn't the UK already harbor a dry sense of humor? :biggrin:
If you think UK's "dry" you've obviously never been here...its been raining non stop for the past week or so.
Do you think it's also Gemini's doing?

I did originally think that, but after reading this thread there may be more to it.

Just also looked at jim carreys chart and he's got sun conjunct saturn/3rd house.

Gemini888

I did originally think that, but after reading this thread there may be more to it.

Just also looked at jim carreys chart and he's got sun conjunct saturn/3rd house.
There's 3H involved. Do you think anything Gemini/3H related can be attributed to humor?

If you think UK's "dry" you've obviously never been here...its been raining non stop for the past week or so.
See, that's the proof :whistling:

Gemini888

Idk, mischievous maybe, good at wheeling and dealing, prankster. Im not sure if gemini is associated with actual humor, i thought that was more a sagg thing ? I could be wrong.
In my mind Gem is more of a standup comedian, and Sag is more Mr. Bean, poking fun using awkward situations. I would imagine a fire sign is more physical than air sign.

My Saturn squares Merc in Gem. I can crack up jokes in really dark situation, but mostly Saturn keeps my jokes innocent :biggrin:

Domna

I'm usually considered a funny sort of person. My biggest comedic gift is a brill sense of timing, along with deadpan delivery... plus not taking myself too seriously and a lacking brain-mouth filter. Pretty good when it comes to sarcasm too.

My 12th house Virgo Moon is only loosely square 3rd house Sag Saturn (7 degree orb), but I also have Mercury and Mars tightly conjunct Midheaven in Cancer and Neptune conjunct IC in Capricorn... so there is a very active Cancer/Capricorn axis. Sun in Gemini 9th house, opposite Saturn.

Gemini888

William Styron was a Gem Sun and Merc. Saturn and Moon trine and form a grand trine with Pluto. He also had 12H Jupiter. And guess what, he dedicated his life to writing depressing fictions, almost died of depression twice, and became the first person to talk openly about depression. I don't see much humor in his life.

So yeah, not all Gemini/3H people are comedians.

(But granted, Styron had too much water in his chart)