Inconjunctions

byjove

Account Closed
Hi all, I just wanted to take a closer look at inconjunctions. I've always found it very difficult to comprehend exactly the interpretation of these aspects, though I've read a thousand times the idea behind them - incompatible energies.

What inconjunctions do you have? Do they play an important role?

Does anyone else have Uranus inconujunct ASC?

[moved to Aspects & configurations - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

R4VEN

byjove said:

Snap!!

How does this inconjunct affect you?

Since I also have Saturn inconjunct ASC (in Capricorn) the rebellious side of the Uranus inconjunct gets a regular workout.
I also believe that the sign on the ASC must influence how/what/why we express this.
For instance, I regularly rebel (Uranus) verbally (Ur in Gemini) against opposition, restriction & limitation (ASC in Cap.)

And do they play an important role? Of course.
The inconjuncts are like going to camp and having to share your room with someone with whom you have nothing in common - but you are still expected to get along somehow without much help or guidance from others. I once had a flat-mate like that. Nothing at all in common - no shared values, no common experiences, and we didn't much like one another - but we did share a similar sense of humour. By the end of that year we were (relatively to year's beginning) close friends.
That is, you're not expected to actually flow with an inconjunct, but it would help to be able to live in contentment with it....

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Hi-
I don't have any planets inconjunct myself, but my mother has 4 (including a yod),one of my children(person A) has one and another of my children (person B),has two, forming a yod.
Person A has mercury exactly inconjunct pluto, from h9 to h4.The word *bombastic* comes to mind here. Certainly adjustments need to be made to manner of self expression, and being prepossessed by wrong ideas, and maintaining a belligerent attitude.Mercury is also intercepted in the second house of self-worth, so perhaps the belligerence stems from a facade of being *right* as a cover for low self esteem.
Person B: has mercury inconjunct the north node.(h11 /H4 involved).Mercury rules the tenth in this case.This person has had enormous difficulty in finding the right work and has no idea what to do as an occupation.Its as if the life purpose is thwarted by an inability to find the right groove.Another possible meaning for this inconjunct is that the person has also lost a sibling through death-(Nnode in h4). For Person A, having pluto as part of an inconjunct in H 4 may also signify that loss.
A sibling of mine also has venus inconjunct the node (in H8) and she has lost her children.
Another of my siblings has jupiter inconjunct pluto.(h5-H12).The word *bully* comes to mind.She is estranged from her children also.
Inconjuncts are very difficult energies both to explain in a chart and to experience in the life. The houses and signs really do need to be also considered.
Cheers
Lillyjgc

freedomlover

R4VEN said:
Snap!!

Since I also have Saturn inconjunct ASC (in Capricorn) the rebellious side of the Uranus inconjunct gets a regular workout.
I also believe that the sign on the ASC must influence how/what/why we express this.
For instance, I regularly rebel (Uranus) verbally (Ur in Gemini) against opposition, restriction & limitation (ASC in Cap.)

The inconjuncts are like going to camp and having to share your room with someone with whom you have nothing in common - but you are still expected to get along somehow without much help or guidance from others. I once had a flat-mate like that. Nothing at all in common - no shared values, no common experiences, and we didn't much like one another - but we did share a similar sense of humour. By the end of that year we were (relatively to year's beginning) close friends.
That is, you're not expected to actually flow with an inconjunct, but it would help to be able to live in contentment with it..
That is an excellent description of inconjunct energy, Raven. I'll have to remember that one. Apparently my housemate and I are inconjunct.:p

FL

Last edited:

Polo

R4VEN said:
Snap!!

That is, you're not expected to actually flow with an inconjunct, but it would help to be able to live in contentment with it....

Hmm, that's a good description. Best one I've heard in a long time.

freedomlover

So, I go looking to see if I or anyone I know have inconjuncts to the Ascendant. Turns out... I do! My North Node in Gemini in the 5th is inconjunct my Ascendant with a little over 1 degree orb. I never noticed this before. Why does this say "inhibited self-expression to me?"

I have a good friend who has Mars in Cancer in the 7th inconjunct his Ascendant in Sagittarius, with a little over a 1 degree orb. He is constantly being berated by his mother, who is a religious zealot. They live in constant turmoil.

My housemate and I, ( the one I'm "inconjunct' with) has Chiron in Aquarius in the 5th exactly inconjunct his Ascendant in Virgo. Have no idea what this means, unless it's that he has problems with working unless he gets an audience for it? He also constantly says how he can't wait till his youngest son gets out of school (- plays "Mr. Mom"), because he feels stuck in an area he doesn't want to live in because of his taking care of children at home.

Those are my inconjunct stories.:eek:

FL

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

I love inconjunct stories, although the inconjunct aspects themselves are a different story! :rolleyes:

My natal chart contains two stelliums that square each other and form a series of inconjunct aspects to other planets that appear almost strategically placed to do so. If I count each of these aspects separately, rather than lumping together the aspects formed by planets conjunct each other within two degrees, I have seven inconjuncts, which touch every major planet except my natal Moon. These aspects form two yods, which I will not describe here; members have discussed yod configurations in other threads.

I am, therefore, intimately familiar with the energies of this aspect, and they are very much how R4VEN, lillyjgc, and freedomlover have described. However, I do not believe the energies are "inhibited" in the direct matter of a square or an opposition aspect; perhaps this is a manifestation of my combative Aries stellium, but when I think of the term "inhibited," I usually envision a situation in which one entity is actively restraining the progress of another.

An example just came to mind, a way in which I may be able to better explain the point I am attempting to make. Many months ago, I read an interpretation of a Mars-Pluto inconjunct aspect on the Astrology Weekly site that resonated strongly with me; it mentioned something to the effect that you may take on others' duties while being bitterly resentful of those duties. I believe the interpretation also suggested a certain suseptibility to manipulation, especially in those situations involving work. (I cannot recall the thread in which this was briefly mentioned and discussed, but bear in mind that the inconjunct aspect is associated with the sixth and eighth houses, which are respectively associated with daily work/health and other people's resources.)

This led me to insight of how I believe inconjunct aspects differ from squares and oppositions. Although the end results may be the same, I make a clear distinction between direct and indirect peer pressure. For example, I have repeatedly observed that I do not comply to direct orders or demands to perform an additional task that is not my responsibility to perform. This complies with most astrologers' opinions regarding typical behavior of an individual who possesses a first house Aries stellium. However, I have similarly observed how others can persuade or manipulate me to perform that same task if they disguise the demand as a request and appeal to my sense of duty and responsibility. In this example, the square/opposition represents the first approach, while the inconjunct represents the second. This may be a poor example, cluttered, perhaps, by other astrological factors in my natal chart, but I thought I'd share it.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

katydid

I have a strong and rather confusing inconjunction. I have Jupiter conjunct the asc. @ 21 Taurus, and that conjunction is inconjunct my Saturn/Neptune conjunction @ 22 Libra.

Before getting to the sense of confusion that it can sometimes cause me, I will say that it is nice that the dispositor of the whole shebang is my Venus in Sag, which is really well aspected, and is the midpoint of my sun/moon sextile. I truly believe that my Venus has helped to smooth out the asc/inconjunction aspect. It is helped me OWN all of it.

The Jupiter conjunct the asc in Taurus represents ABUNDANCE. It is also a strong desire for comfort and soothing, delicious sights, sounds and tastes. I recognize 'the finest things' in life, and sometimes am privileged enough to
enjoy them.
The Saturn/Neptune in the 6th follows a dis-similar theme. It is more about 'making due without' or being an asctetic , being a martyr. I can 'deny myself' and actually get a kick out of it. I can make something 'great' out of nothing.
It is also about my Spiritual beliefs[ Neptune], and fundamental principles,[Saturn]
that are put into action by my daily service to others.[the 6th] I was once a fairly strong advocate of the Church of Religious Science, and many of my Astrology clients were made through that affiliation. But it is also sometimes really super lucky circumstances that come through this conjunction, and often involving churches, or connections in religious networks etc. It is like a feeling of FATE, by being in the right place at the exact right time. To me, Saturn is 'time,' and Neptune is 'perfection' and this conjunction brings them together ' in a perfect storm of circumstances' sometimes.
However, sometimes I am too trusting, and too optimistic, or too 'dense' as my kids might say now that they are teens.
In my younger days, my Taurus asc was also involved in clothing/jewelry design and retail sales, and that part of my life and associations did not always mix well with my 'service' as an astrological counselor, and vice-versa. Those two worlds clashed aesthetically and spiritually and that often set off the inconjunction.

Arian Maverick

I don't want to stray too far from the topic of this thread, but many of the inconjunct aspects I described in my previous post involve a Saturn/Neptune conjunction, as well--the next one in the Saturn/Neptune cycle, the one that last occurred in the sign of Capricorn. Perhaps we can exchange personal messages sharing our experiences ;)

Arian Maverick

R4VEN

freedomlover said:
So, I go looking to see if I or anyone I know have inconjuncts to the Ascendant. Turns out... I do! My North Node in Gemini in the 5th is inconjunct my Ascendant with a little over 1 degree orb. I never noticed this before. Why does this say "inhibited self-expression to me?"

FL
FL, given your Cap ASC, then a NN in Gemini in 5th inconjunct would certainly be continually dampened by Capricorn inhibition and `being sensible'!

lillyjgc, your descriptions of inconjuncts to the north node - all really insightful and revealing - led me to checking out my north node, and I have a Mars-Neptune conj in Libra inconjunct my NN in Taurus in the 4th. Now, I had a sibling die in my teens, but there's no Mercury involved here. I haven't actually given myself time to figure this inconjunct out yet, having only just discovered it. But I do have tremendous difficulty in `reaching' my north node. I'm forever stuck in the trials and struggles of my Scorpio south node.

And another inconjunct story-with-a-twist...............
One of my older brothers has an unaspected duet (2 planets in relation to one another only, with no other connections to the rest of the chart) formed by Mars and Jupiter inconjunct (Mars in 11th, Jupiter in 6th) This is like having this inconjunction in neon lights. As a child he was like a balloon you blow up and then let go, and watch it spin around the room and bounce off the walls and the furniture. And he was so angry - all the time. When he got to 13 or 14 he discovered he was good at athletics, and so he was able to channel all that energy and focus it. As an adult he channeled this energy into his career - with great success - but he almost always had difficulties with other people - men usually - who seemed to pop up in his life and attempt to thwart him.

I'm wondering whether this `being attacked/thwarted by other men' is a characteristic of Mars-Jupiter inconjunct. One of my sons has this inconjunct as one side of his yod, and there is always some guy in his life trying to bring him down. Currently he has a man (whom he cannot escape - long story) who is working hard to shame him and also `bring him down'.

byjove

Account Closed
R4VEN said:
FL, given your Cap ASC, then a NN in Gemini in 5th inconjunct would certainly be continually dampened by Capricorn inhibition and `being sensible'!

lillyjgc, your descriptions of inconjuncts to the north node - all really insightful and revealing - led me to checking out my north node, and I have a Mars-Neptune conj in Libra inconjunct my NN in Taurus in the 4th. Now, I had a sibling die in my teens, but there's no Mercury involved here. I haven't actually given myself time to figure this inconjunct out yet, having only just discovered it. But I do have tremendous difficulty in `reaching' my north node. I'm forever stuck in the trials and struggles of my Scorpio south node.

And another inconjunct story-with-a-twist...............
One of my older brothers has an unaspected duet (2 planets in relation to one another only, with no other connections to the rest of the chart) formed by Mars and Jupiter inconjunct (Mars in 11th, Jupiter in 6th) This is like having this inconjunction in neon lights. As a child he was like a balloon you blow up and then let go, and watch it spin around the room and bounce off the walls and the furniture. And he was so angry - all the time. When he got to 13 or 14 he discovered he was good at athletics, and so he was able to channel all that energy and focus it. As an adult he channeled this energy into his career - with great success - but he almost always had difficulties with other people - men usually - who seemed to pop up in his life and attempt to thwart him.

I'm wondering whether this `being attacked/thwarted by other men' is a characteristic of Mars-Jupiter inconjunct. One of my sons has this inconjunct as one side of his yod, and there is always some guy in his life trying to bring him down. Currently he has a man (whom he cannot escape - long story) who is working hard to shame him and also `bring him down'.

Wow! Yep, that definitely sounds like a conflict with Mars/Jupiter, the Martian anger expanded by Jove. (No pointing at me). I'm not at all surprised that the energy was tamed through expression in sport, just right for these two planets' contact. I'm afraid I've just entered the dreaded astro-limbo-of-doom - uncertainty about birth time. It's not that the time in question is doubted, rather time zone. But this results in another inconjunction...nice thread here, nice mix of experiences, and I'm glad some secret inconjunctions you never knew you had are being revealed lol.

R4VEN

byjove said:
Wow! Yep, that definitely sounds like a conflict with Mars/Jupiter, the Martian anger expanded by Jove. (No pointing at me). I'm not at all surprised that the energy was tamed through expression in sport, just right for these two planets' contact. I'm afraid I've just entered the dreaded astro-limbo-of-doom - uncertainty about birth time. It's not that the time in question is doubted, rather time zone. But this results in another inconjunction...nice thread here, nice mix of experiences, and I'm glad some secret inconjunctions you never knew you had are being revealed lol.
Thank you, byjove, for starting this thread.

It has been truly enjoyable to investigate these pesky inconjuncts, and to hear about the experiences others have with them. I'm learning something new every day. :D

gaer

One comment:

Those who have planets spread out around the chart often have inconjuncts.

However, those of us who have planets that are clustered will have what I personally think is something that is very similar—semi-sextiles.

And sometimes we have both, if we use points. For instance, my Sun is almost exactly semi-sextile my AC, which of course also makes it inconjunct my DC. In this case I technically also have an inconjunct (again using a point), but I feel the principle is the same.

My Sun and AC are REALLY out of sync. :)

Claire19

byjove said:
Hi all, I just wanted to take a closer look at inconjunctions. I've always found it very difficult to comprehend exactly the interpretation of these aspects, though I've read a thousand times the idea behind them - incompatible energies.

[moved to Aspects & configurations - Moderator]

The word is inconjunct or quincunx.

Claire19

R4VEN said:
Thank you, byjove, for starting this thread.

It has been truly enjoyable to investigate these pesky inconjuncts, and to hear about the experiences others have with them. I'm learning something new every day. :D

Inconjuncts are pesky and irritating. They cant be reconciled but have to be lived with. They can cause chronic health problems because of the stress involved. I have saturn inconjunct ascendant in Pisces. I have chronic tinnitus as saturn conjuncts Mercury also. I think it is fluid from sinuses. It cant seem to be cured and has to be lived with. It is coming from the 6th house. As it is in Leo I have skin that freckles even with dark hair, which I hate but have to live with.

Claire19

Re: Inconjuncts

I wouldnt use inconjuncts with nodes, they are not a valid aspect according to many professional astrologers and I agree. Significant nodal aspects are tight orbs with conjunctions, oppositions and squares. :)

freedomlover

Claire19 said:
I wouldnt use inconjuncts with nodes, they are not a valid aspect according to many professional astrologers and I agree. Significant nodal aspects are tight orbs with conjunctions, oppositions and squares. :)
Not even when an inconjunct to a node gives valuable insight into one's issues that need healing?
What a pity. I found the knowledge of how the inconjunct from my Ascendant to my North Node was manifesting in my life to be a significant breakthrough for me.

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor

Claire19: You said
I wouldnt use inconjuncts with nodes, they are not a valid aspect according to many professional astrologers and I agree..

I use a small orb for them but yes I do use the node-for ALL aspects, even minor ones...I have never read that *they are not a valid aspect*. Please provide references to support your opinion.*Many professional astrologers*, you have said.It's news to me.Curiously, you have included an inconjunct to your ascendant-which is ALSO a point! Why one point and not another?
lillyjgc

Last edited:

gaer

I would say that it is logical to choose to use inconjuncts to points, or not to use them. According to your personal way of interpreting charts.

I don't see the logic in saying that using them to nodes (points) is not valid, but using them to the AC (another point) is valid.

I also don't see any reason why inconjuncts can't be reconciled, unless we assume that this is true of all difficult aspects.

EJ53

Banned
If I have an outer planet (say Pluto) on the Ascendant, what would be the difference (if any) between an inconjunction made by an inner planet (say Sun) at 150 degrees and at 210 degrees, moving in an anticlockwise direction around the zodiac?......I know that the first is a "lower quincunx" (corresponding to the sign of Virgo) and the second an "upper quincunx" (corresponding to the sign of Scorpio), but would that make a difference in the way the two planets relate to each other?......And, would anything change if the Ascendant was (say) Libra rather than Aries?

EJ:)

Last edited: