Disagreement over David Bowie's Rising Sign

Earth Sign

Howdy, all. I've become a little bit obsessed with once-and-for-all determining the Ascendant of David Bowie, for whom I have found two different birth time sources.

The first is Astrotheme.com, which I usually trust, and the site posted his birth time for 9:15am, setting his Ascendant at 9-something Aquarius.

http://www.astrotheme.com/portraits/3ynM6svhVDWB.htm

However, Librarising.com posted his birth time as 11:50pm, putting it at 10-something Libra. This website does make a lot of guesses, but it always tells you when it does.

http://www.librarising.com/astrology/celebs/davidbowie.html

Now, if I didn't have any leads on what his Ascendant might be, I might have guessed that he's a Scorpio Rising. I think his face has many of the qualities associated with the sign. His nose has an unusually aquiline, vaguely hooked profile, which is often associated with Scorpio. His eyes, never minding the condition, are very sharp and piercing. He seems to have that perpetual intensity linked with Scorpio rising people. Also, his focus on children, as reflected by many of his songs and the course of his life suggests a Family Dynamic sign, like Scorpio or Aries. I would be more hesitant to guess Aries, but it's not impossible. If he were a Scorpio Rising, though, it would most likely place his birth time far from the other times released.

Between the two sources, I would think it was Aquarius. He doesn't look a lot like the other Aquarius Rising people I've seen, but personality-wise it seems likely. I can't wrap my head around the idea of him being a Libra Rising. For one, aren't Libra's supposed to have, well... balanced features? His eyes, his formerly crooked teeth, and his over-all bizarre appearance doesn't suggest Libra to me at all. Other Libra Rising people I've seen have very soft, relaxed, graceful features that are more easily pretty than really striking.

I think it is likely that he would be an Air sign, though, despite my initial guess of Scorpio. All of the Air signs have a certain adaptability and swiftness, hence Bowie's "musical chameleon" thing, but it seems to manifest itself in different ways for each. Libra seems more likely to go with the flow and harmonize, blending itself with whatever comes along. Aquarius would more likely be a trail-blazer, and have no quarrels with changing everything all at once. Gemini would be more likely to dance from one project to the next and back again with sudden, but fleeting interest. Of these three personalities, I would believe Aquarius is most accurate. Bowie is always changing, but never blends in, and seldom goes back.

I'm not very good at doing the houses thing while guessing Ascendants, but for some reason I keep trying to find a heavy 5th house influence, I guess because of the children thing, but it doesn't seem suggested by any of the probable Rising Signs.

So, if anyone has any idea which one of the two sources cited is correct, or even close, or if you think neither are close, let me know.

images
images

images
images

Choco

I can easily see Bowie with an Aquarius rising. Using the Equal House system, this puts his sun, mars and mercury in the 12th house (thus his private nature); jupiter in scorpio in the tenth house/midheaven would give his public image scorpion overtones; and places leo on his 7th house of partnerships (his present wife, Iman, is a leo and as is their daughter). Leo also rules children. His ch-ch-ch-anges are most certainly indicated by venus in sagittarius in the 11th house (individual purpose in life, hopes, friends) opposing uranus in gemini in his 5th house (quirky uranus in changeable gemini indicates that he's easily bored and constantly searching for new ways to express his creativity, expand his horizons, etc).

:joyful:

Inconjunct

Save yourself any bother and go to the Astrodatabank here. They give the Rodden rating for each birth time, created by Lois Rodden to give an idea of the likely accuracy of the time given. The 9.15 birth time for Bowie has a Rodden rating of A which means: -

"Accurate: Data as quoted by the person, kin, friend, or associate. These data all come from someone's memory, family legend, or hearsay. The quote may be substantiated by a qualifying statement such as, "My grandfather wanted me to be born on his birthday and my mother said that I almost made it. I was born three minutes before midnight."

Sun in the 12th is a strong hint towards Bowie's development of a variety of personas - Ziggy, Thin White Duke - for which he became better known than for his "real" self and Uranus in the 5th is excellent for the kind of quirky unconventional creativity he represented throughout his career.

Last edited:

Ruka_5

Banned
Howdy, all. I've become a little bit obsessed with once-and-for-all determining the Ascendant of David Bowie, for whom I have found two different birth time sources.

The first is Astrotheme.com, which I usually trust, and the site posted his birth time for 9:15am, setting his Ascendant at 9-something Aquarius.

http://www.astrotheme.com/portraits/3ynM6svhVDWB.htm

However, Librarising.com posted his birth time as 11:50pm, putting it at 10-something Libra. This website does make a lot of guesses, but it always tells you when it does.

http://www.librarising.com/astrology/celebs/davidbowie.html

Now, if I didn't have any leads on what his Ascendant might be, I might have guessed that he's a Scorpio Rising. I think his face has many of the qualities associated with the sign. His nose has an unusually aquiline, vaguely hooked profile, which is often associated with Scorpio. His eyes, never minding the condition, are very sharp and piercing. He seems to have that perpetual intensity linked with Scorpio rising people. Also, his focus on children, as reflected by many of his songs and the course of his life suggests a Family Dynamic sign, like Scorpio or Aries. I would be more hesitant to guess Aries, but it's not impossible. If he were a Scorpio Rising, though, it would most likely place his birth time far from the other times released.

The data here has an A rating, so I think it's the most likely option unless Bowie comes forward himself and gives a different birth time...
http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Bowie,_David

Also, like you said, the Aquarius ascendant makes perfect sense, especially when you consider his whole Ziggy Stardust phase.

When you say you get Scorpio vibes from him, it's probably because you're picking up on Pluto conjunct his descendant. I've noticed that whenever people try and guess an ascendant based on physical appearance, nine times out of ten they end up picking up on prominent planets in the chart and confusing that with being their ascendant sign. Like how a lot of people assumed Michael Jackson was a Scorpio ascendant because of his eyes, when he was Pisces rising...with Pluto conjunct his Sun; or how I watched another astrologer insist Stevie Nicks was a Pisces ascendant based on her appearance and public persona, when she has Neptune conjunct her descendant. I think prominent planets influence physical appearance more than the actual rising sign and that the rising sign reflects more of the personality and general life experiences of the person.

Earth Sign

Thanks for the responses and input. I was beginning to forget I started this thread.

Memory isn't always the most accurate indicator. The main reason I questioned it is because I found two different sources, so it suddenly became suspicious. For all I know, the second birth time could be from Bowie himself! The Rodden rating doesn't really settle it, I don't think... though it's most reliable so far.

Ruka_5

Banned
Thanks for the responses and input. I was beginning to forget I started this thread.

Memory isn't always the most accurate indicator. The main reason I questioned it is because I found two different sources, so it suddenly became suspicious. For all I know, the second birth time could be from Bowie himself! The Rodden rating doesn't really settle it, I don't think... though it's most reliable so far.

Birth times are always up for debate unless you hear it directly from the person or you see a birth certificate. He could be Aqua or Libra or something else entirely, true. But the astro dot com site is known for being more accurate than most others, and honestly at first glance the Aqua Rising chart does seem to fit the little we as the public, know of him so I'm more inclined to go with that until I hear something different.

Rebel Uranian

Aquarius Rising. The Scorpio MC would be why he is really intense on stage and transforms himself to the public repeatedly, and the Aquarius AC is why he gets called strange often and writes a ton of songs about the future. He is not Scorpio during those moments when he's not projecting himself to the public from everything I've seen. The exact time might be wrong, but with equal house a variety of different times are available that yield similar results. Nothing else makes any sense, especially not Libra Rising. But being declared "world's most photogenic man" by a random royal person doesn't give much room for actually having a water sign ascendant, considering air signs are voted the best looking, and Aquarius AC alone (no Venus or anything making it better) is 2nd best.

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

The data here has an A rating, so I think it's the most likely option unless Bowie comes forward himself and gives a different birth time...

Happy to oblige. As David Bowie Himself, I verify 9:15 a.m. as my birth time. You may now continue with the fascination.

- D.B.

:p
(I think it is Aquarius rising - with all his unconventional personae and story lines...listened to the Outside album lately?)

Dunbar

I think I remember hearing that crooked teeth was a Saturn thing? Saturn on ASC maybe? Depending on what kind of aspects it makes?

My best friend is Libra ASC and he has crooked teeth.

AstroFrank

you seem too much focused on the ascendent sign, but a planet on a very close conjuction with the ascendant can be far more powerfull than the sign. the libra rising 10 degree falls right on neptune, ruler of piscis, which is the "Chameleon" of the zodiac, I think that is even more fitting to bowie, than aquarius, we all remember him as the chameleon of rock. aquarius fits well enough indeed, but neptune fits even better to him. on aquarius rising, his Midheaven falls on sagitarius and not scorpius, as been noted here. anyway, thats my opinion. i´m also dying for a more certain source. astrodatabank shows the aquarius, but also provides the other source, so it´s not certain.

*emma*

Banned
I emailed the owner of the librarising site to ask the source for the 11.50pm tob, they kindly replied with

The American Book of Charts *by Lois M Rodden
1980 edition, A and B data chart section

So now I am confused as the 9.15am time is Rodden A rated?

Those lightning stripes painted on him as ziggy are very aquarian looking to me.

There was another site with the 11.50pm shown and if I hear back, will post what they say

AstroFrank

Emma, Ziggy was very aquarian, but that was only one of bowies many phases, and neptune is the Chameleon, not aquarius, his chameleonic ability includes the aquarian as well as many others.. especially when you note that the ziggy´s phase was on the time uranus was on his ascendent, in case it was indeed libra.

Waki

because i --and millions others-- find him extremely handsome and sexy and so concerned if nor obsessed with his beauty (his incredible face on every album cover 30 of them, his elaborate haidress and dresses etc) I decided to look for a strong Venus. Knowing also that he is an artist and creator of beauty.
My second criteria was Uranus because not only of Ziggy but the whole sci-fi tone and his love for technology (pertnership with Brian Eno, internet heavy usage anc control) his ground breaking and innovative creativity --even if he was not the pionneer of avant-guarde, that was his field and he briught it to main stream many times.
The 9 am fits better. Venus is close to MC while the sun in 12th and aquarius is rising. Perfect.
Libra? He was polite and nice as a person but his art and appearance was not. There was a lot of provocation even in his beauty.
May he oblige from heaven again?

craft94

It was definitely Aquarius, and granted I'm not looking at his chart right now but wasn't his North Node Conjunct Uranus in Gemini? That would account for the whole chameleon thing. I don't think its Libra or anything else especially if its got a rodden rating of A but I do have to say people have a warped perception of Libra if they think a Libra placement means you can't make ART that's provocative - whaaaat??? I love being a Libra but you guys almost make me hate it :( Theres no doubt in my mind that Bowie is an Aquarius though especially since his other placements don't do as much to account for his wonderfully eccentric style.

Last edited: