View Single Post
Unread 05-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Senior Member, Educational board Editor

Re: Test

TRIPLICITIES

The following Article has been written by Joseph Ledzion.

Triplicities were used by the Hellenistic astrologers. Hellenistic astrology appears to be the most advanced form of astrology, requiring little intuition on the part of the Artist. It was developed 300 B.C.E. - 100 A.D. The technique was mostly lost by the time the Medieval period arrived, and thus to this present age, this form of rulership is lost to most.

Just as an overview, there are 5 forms of rulership for any Planet in the chart, and these 5 forms of rulership are based on its longitude (degree) in the Zodiac. Rulership shows the Essential Dignity of a planet. A planet in its dignities is obviously strengthened. Most people learning astrology are only aware of the 2 first forms of rulership, listed below:

Domicile, Exaltation, Triplicity (aka Trigon), Term, and Decan (aka Face).

These are the 5 modes of rulership. The phonetic of domicile is: dough-ma-sigh-el. Each one of these forms of rulership has a specific function in the horoscope. Today, we are looking at Triplicities.

Triplicities are used to determine how a person's life will favor. Will they experience success? Will life be difficult? These questions are the fundamental yearnings found within people's heart and souls, and Triplicities Lords are the fundamental rulers of the Elements. In order to assess the condition of a person's life (will they be King or a lowly bum?), the ancient authors Dorotheus and Valens tell us to begin by observing the Luminary in charge of the chart.

This is called Sect.

Understanding Sect is crucial!

It is simple to discover the Sect of any chart. If the Sun is below the horizon--the ascendant/descendant axis--then the Moon is the Luminary in charge of the chart. The sect is Nocturnal. Theoretically, this is because the light of the Sun is gone from view, and so it cannot perform. Thus, when the Sun is above the horizon, the Sun is the Luminary in charge of the chart, and the Sect is Diurnal (day). That's all that Sect is -- day or night.

You'll notice that the concept of Sect implies that there is an inherent division. There is. Which ever Luminary is in charge is the more powerful of the two, and directs the native's actions. This is a person's inner light, their wisdom and guiding voice, which gives the power to make decisions in life. The decisions made in life will based on the Sect of the chart, being either born from either the qualities of the Moon, or the Sun. Sect is based on the idea of masculinity and femininity, and giving a government to one of these instinctive principles.

There are corresponding planets which rule the Sect, as well, although it is not entirely pertinent that they be listed for the technique I am about to give in the discussion of Triplicities. Nevertheless, in order to finish the idea of Sect, it shall be understood that there are Ruling Planets of each Sect, and these planets carry out the decisions of the Luminary in charge, like servants. The Diurnal Sect, which is the Sun, uses Jupiter and Saturn to perform what is born from its inspiration. The Nocturnal Sect, which is the Moon, uses Venus and Mars to perform the duties it feels it needs.

And so, if you were born at nighttime, the Sun isn't quite as important as you might have otherwise thought!

Once Sect is understood, then the next thing to do is to look at the Triplicity Ruler of whatever Luminary is in charge. So we consult the chart below, which tells us this information. I apologize that there are 4 different systems given here.

Use Dorotheus, and don't even look at the others, simply because they have assigned different planets to what I am teaching here. I just couldn't find a good table; I don't mean to create confusion.

Triplicities Lords are assigned by each Element. That's what a Triplicity Lord is. All the Earth signs share a specific trio of Triplicity rulers, all the Water signs share a different trio own rulers, and so forth. Eventually you'll memorize this table. Mostly everyone uses Dorotheus, I assure you.

You'll notice that there is a Day ruler and a Night ruler for each triplicity, and there is also something called a participating ruler. Actually, I wouldn't even worry about the participating ruler until later. It's one of those things that you can ignore, and then come back to once you've got the basic technique wired. The participating ruler watches over everything, adds support. It's pretty simple.

So -- the most important ruler of the Triplicity Rulers, is the one that rules your Sect Luminary. If you are a day (diurnal) birth, then use the Day ruler, of the element your Luminary is in. If you are a nocturnal birth, then the use the Night ruler of the element your Luminary is in.

Now we're getting somewhere. So -- if you are a Diurnal Birth, it is best to have the Sun in a Fire sign. This is what the table says. If the Sun is in a Fire sign and well placed in the chart, then the first part of the life will be great. Hold that italic thought.

If you are a Nocturnal birth, you want to have the Moon in an Earth sign. This is what the Triplicity table says. Yes, it is interesting to note that Capricorn is the detriment of the Moon. And yet, regardless, if the moon is in Capricorn during a nocturnal birth, and it is well placed in the horoscope, the first part of the life will nevertheless be successful, although it will not be as emotionally rewarding, because the detriment is still not solved, regardless of triplicity.

Do you see what we're doing here?

We look to the Triplicity Ruler of the Luminary in Charge, and judge its condition. If it is well placed then life will be good.

What do we look for, when we want to know if the Triplicity Lord is in good shape? Generally it is obvious to the trained astrologer, but I shall go over these rules. Most importantly, we want the planet to be in an Angular House, because the Angles are where planets are the strongest. For a Diurnal Sect, the strength of the houses is as follows: the 1st, 10th, 11th, 7th then 9th. You want the Diurnal Triplicity Lords placed in these houses. These are the happy and fortunate places, and this applies in all of astrology. You can't go wrong here!

The next thing to consider in regards to the strength of the Triplicity Lord, is to notice if it is negatively aspected by the malefics (Saturn and Mars) or not. In any diurnal chart, negative aspects to Mars are particularly upsetting to the native, causing rash behavior and chaos. This is because Mars is out of Sect, and doesn't have any business upsetting the structure of the Diurnal Sect. For a nocturnal chart, when Saturn negatively aspects the Triplicity Lord, there are long delays, much sorrow and tribulations to be expected in the native's life. Again, this is because Saturn is of the opposite sect, and causes extreme misfortune when getting involved by negative aspect to the opposite sect.

Similarly, if the Triplicity Lord is placed in an unfortunate house, there will be misfortune. As well, it is not good when the Triplicity Lord is combust or retrograde. Yet this is obvious. Classically, combustion is considered the most destructive of all potential hinderances for a planet to experience, losing all its power to perform.

For a nocturnal chart, the order of the strength of the houses (I suspect) is the 1st, 4th, 2nd, 5th, and then 3rd.

This is how triplicity works, and it is very accurate. Allow me to use a personal example.

This is my chart. My Moon is in Scorpio, and I am a Nocturnal birth. Since Scorpio is a Water Sign, we know that Mars is the Triplicity Lord of my Luminary, and that Mars governs the first part of my life.

Now, looking at the condition of Mars, we will notice that we are dealing with a Malefic planet. Automatically, we see that the beginning of my life deals with hardship. Then, we will realize that Mars is in Taurus (detriment). Things aren't looking to good, are they? Next, we'll figure out that Mars is under the beams of the Sun, the worst possible hinderance. Yikes! And finally, we notice that Mars is placed on the IC, giving it is a very powerful influence, for the worse.

So Mars is in terrible shape, and because it is conjunct the IC, this influence is extremely overbearing. The IC is associated with "the window to the soul" and thus you can say that this window was blocked by warriors that I had to either kill, or be killed.

Indeed, as the Triplicity Lord suggests, the first part of my life was extremely difficult. A true battle ground. Everyday, I fought an extremely powerful force that tugged at my soul. Suicide was not out of the question, nor was sex at a young age (Mars and the IC are in the 5th Whole Sign House). This would continue for many years, until the next Triplicity Lord took over, which happens to be Venus. Venus is a much better Triplicity Lord than Mars!

So the first ruler is Mars, the second ruler is Venus.

Do you see?

This is because I was born at night, and so we start with the Night ruler of my Luminary, which is in a Water sign.

The second part of your life will be governed by the other Triplicity Lord.

This is why people's life's are able to turn around, for better or worse! The expression "from zero to hero" is definitely a Triplicity Lord type of statement, in the Hellenistic sense !

For fun, let's imagine that I was born with the Sun in Leo, right around noon. This is one of the most fortunate qualities to be found in a nativity! Why? Because the Sun is in its own sign (domicile) in Leo, and during the day, the Triplicity Lord for the Fire Signs is the Sun. The Sun is placed in the 10th house is a position of authority, giving the ability to command others and really be in charge. As long as there are no negative aspects to the Sun, I would be very happy and successful in life, extremely fortunate and strong, in a position to achieve much. What a guy I would be then!!

Now, here's where it gets interesting. How's the second Triplicity Lord? How's the second part of life looking?

Eventually, the first triplicity lord will stop shining, so to speak, and the second lord will take over. Now, this isn't the Participating Ruler. That planet just watches over everything, and gives support to the efforts. It's pretty simple to understand how, generally, the Participating Ruler can provide help and aid to the efforts of the Trigon Lord if it is well placed, or hinder if it is not well placed.

Admittedly, there is a technique for determining when the next Triplicity Lord takes over, but I will have to save that for another time, because I am not totally sure myself!

Regardless of that missing bit of information (sorry), once the other Triplicity Lord takes over, we similarly need to consider its "status." Sticking with our example of the Sun in Leo in the 10th house, the following ruler for the Fire Trigon is Jupiter.

Okay. For fun, let's make this 2nd half of this person's life diificult. Let's place Jupiter in the 12th house, the house of imprisonment. And let's place Saturn and Mars on either side of him. This is called besieging, and it is a very cruel concept, let alone in the 12th house.

Here we would have the story of a person who started off well in life, and later lost everything, and probably ended up in prison.

Perhaps the Sun in the 10th house created too much of a good thing, and they went overboard on the goodness of status and power. When the 2nd Trigon Lord took over, they became exposed, and were cornered, made into an example and locked away.

That's how the Hellenistic's used triplicities.
In terms of Medieval Horary, William Lilly, in Christian Astrology Book II, uses an interesting methodology regarding Triplicities in the following aphorism, regarding the query:

Whether a Lady have a Lover besides the Querent?

The master says,

"If either the Lord of the 7th or the Sun, be joined to the Lord of the Triplicity then Ascending, and the Sun separates from the Lord of the Ascendant, it seems that she has some friend that she loves besides the Querent."

And so Lilly implies that Triplicity may indicate another person is involved. Triplicity rulership, as we know, is not as powerful as domicile and exaltation rulers, which the querent is represented by in all instances. When in horary do we look to triplicity?

In this horary, the querent's lady is shown to be with a person other than the himself, demonstrated by the conjunction of the lady (she is shown by the Lord of the 7th) and her indicator of men (the Sun) to the Triplicity Lord of the Ascendant.

The domicile and exaltation of the Ascendant represent the querent. The Triplicity Lord of the Ascendant is not him, it is another person!

We of course look to the 1st house to show if the lady has another boyfriend, because it is the 7th from the 7th. But the domicile and exaltation rulers represent the Querent.

Thus, we use Triplicity to show another man.

For, a conjunction to the rulers of the Term and Face are not strong enough to indicate infidelity. Definitely not.

And so, in horary, Triplicity may serve to indicate another person other than the querent -- although this must be further shown in the horoscope, as such his aphorism states.

Here is a link to the discussion:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum...t=triplicities

Last edited by lillyjgc; 05-22-2009 at 11:23 AM.