When is the best time to wean my daughter from nursing?

Hello all. I have been nursing my daughter ever since she was born, I am ready to wean her from nursing now that she is 18 months old. When would be the best time to wean my daughter from nursing? Are there certain astrological aspects or transits that would help with this process? I don't want to go cold turkey. My daughter has a lot of fixed energy in her chart and her Taurus Moon loves to nurse. I am losing sleep and so worn out. I need help! haha. Any astrological insight on this would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I've attached her chart as well as her chart and current transits as of Feb 13 21. Update: I've also attached my natal chart as her mother.

Attachments

• 18 month old chart.jpg
    18 month old chart.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 34
  • current transits 2_13_21.jpg
    current transits 2_13_21.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 24
  • moms natal chart.jpg
    moms natal chart.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

blackbery

Hello there, I don't think this can be answered from an astrology perspective...& neither should it It's clear that your daughter is very, very sensitive & very attached to you, her mum with Venus conj Mercury Cancer & may need to be nursed longer that most babies....BUT only you alone can really know when the time is right. Can you make an app 't with a lactation consultant? I'm sure she can help as it's not easy being a nursing mother & they can give you some tips. There are wonderful lactation organizations that would welcome your concerns, if not where you live, online & with skype.

Good luck!

Hi blackbery, thank you for your response. You are right she is very attached to me and I think I have settled that I will nurse her till she is 24 months and if she stops on her own before then that would be great. Thank you, yes I know there are resources, my husband and I have taken a gentle approach and we don't have her cry it out alone in a room, instead she co-sleeps with us, so her waking up throughout the night to nurse really is our choice. I know parents make sacrifices for their children and this is one of them with the disruptive sleep, but I'm happy knowing this is so beneficial for her well being.

Osamenor

Staff member
If there's a useful astrological perspective to be had here, it would come from your chart. How are you, in general, about setting boundaries? Do you give too much of yourself away?

If you're ready to wean and finding yourself exhausted from nursing, it's time to wean. Maybe gradually, but not too soon to start the process. For the rest of your life, you're going to have to balance your daughter's needs with your own. Especially when she's small. Don't lose yourself and your own needs in the process.

And don't make the excuse that she has so much fixed energy she won't accept change. There will always be change in her life: weaning, toilet training, going to school, starting and ending phases, ultimately moving out. For a child like that, the important thing is to have a solid foundation that she can fall back on for fortification when she has to adapt. Nursing her for her first 18 months--and presumably you've also started her on solid food--gives her that foundation.

Thank you both for your replies.

Blackbery- Yes you are right she is very attached to me. I will likely end up nursing her till she is 24 months old. I will just have to work harder on trying to gradually wean her.

Osamenor- I have attached my chart. Do you have any advice based on seeing my chart? Yes I do feel I give much of myself to others. Would that be Venus in Virgo and Sun and Mercury in the 6th house?

Yes I already have a 4 year old as well, so I know it is about balancing my daughter's needs along with mine. I never said she won't accept change just that she has a lot of fixed energy that makes her more stubborn to change. She's already shown an interest in potty training, etc. Yes she eats solids as well as nurses.

Osamenor

Staff member
Yes I do feel I give much of myself to others. Would that be Venus in Virgo and Sun and Mercury in the 6th house?

First place I look is your big three: sun, moon, and rising signs. Libra typically wants to keep the peace. It's also the sun's detriment sign: sun in Libra has the marvelously tricky job of developing ego in a way that thoroughly balances self with other. That can in some cases lead to giving way too much, keeping the peace at all costs, even at cost to your own wellbeing.

Leo, your moon sign, is much better at holding its own, but Leo is also an extremely generous sign. It's a sign that wants to give. Sometimes Leo generosity results in giving away too much, especially if there's already an inclination elsewhere in the chart to give in/give way.

If you are a mother, moon indicates your emotional approach to mothering. It's also your emotional approach to nurturing in general. Leo moon needs to give generously to those she nurtures.

Taurus's archetypes include the generous earth mama with all her bounty. (And I note the resonances of Leo/Taurus in your chart and your daughter's!)

What the sixth house adds to this picture is an inclination to service. I expect you find it very, very meaningful to be of service, in some way. The shadow side of sixth house service is that it can turn to thankless drudgery. Sixth house is also the house of slaves.

So it's no wonder you want to keep nurturing your daughter with your milk, even as it's over draining you.

Thanks for your reply Osamenor. You are right on all of that and it is cool we both have Leo/Taurus energy! I do love being generous and sometimes I do overdo it, this is something I'm learning to improve, because yes with the 6th house planets when I do give so much I can feel there is an imbalance where I am the one always giving and not receiving. I think I will plan to nurse her till she is 24 months and then be done.

I am wondering though, when she has her first Mars return, do you think she would naturally want to wean herself and be more independent from me?

Osamenor

Staff member
I am wondering though, when she has her first Mars return, do you think she would naturally want to wean herself and be more independent from me?

All children get more independent around the time of their first Mars return. That's where the "terrible twos" comes from.

That doesn't mean you have to wait until then to wean. Children also get more independent when they learn to walk, but they don't wait until their Mars return to do that.