Random Thoughts, strictly Text

david starling

https://www.scienceabc.com/sports/michael-phelps-height-arms-torso-arm-span-feet-swimming.html

Phelps's body is built specifically for swimming. His 'humongous set of feet is attached to extremely flexible ankles, which work like fins (similar to a shark)'. Further, 'it has been scientifically proven that his body produces only half the lactic acid that his rivals need to handle. This significantly reduces his recovery time.'

Interesting, right?

Yes, the physical equipment is optimal for swimming. But becoming a champion needs a driving factor, which is what the need to dominate is really about.

moonkat235

I might try work it out on my day off tomorrow, I’ve never done any midpoints before so I’ll be learning that too. I think Marilyn Monroe would be a very good example to attempt.

If you go to the extended charts on astro.com, Sections > Pullen/Astrolog > Chart Type: Aspect/Midpoint Grid, you can see your midpoints without having to do the hand calculations.

I don't know much about Marilyn Monroe, other than she has Neptune in the 1H like me. What about her fascinates you?

david starling

If you go to the extended charts on astro.com, Sections > Pullen/Astrolog > Chart Type: Aspect/Midpoint Grid, you can see your midpoints without having to do the hand calculations.

I don't know much about Marilyn Monroe, other than she has Neptune in the 1H like me. What about her fascinates you?

What Sign is your Neptune? Sounds like a spacey, spiritual nature. M.M. did seem to have that quality, come to think about it. Sort of ethereal.

moonkat235

Yes, the physical equipment is optimal for swimming. But becoming a champion needs a driving factor, which is what the need to dominate is really about.

Valid, there's definitely a deeper element to it than just physicality.

Can we define what Total Dominance is measuring, exactly? I'm sorry I get so caught up in definitions. lol Mostly, I wonder if TD is eminence/fame, high achievement in a field, maybe a psychological quality, or talent? As I'm writing this, it must be quite a combination of all these. lol

I was thinking of how when I was a kid, I used to watch youtube videos of child musical prodigies and interviews with them. When I went to a performance and interview by a 15 year old violin prodigy from Juliard Pre-College, she said she believed in the 10,000 hours concept. She'd put in a lot of hours, practicing, but she also explained how it was an inner drive.

In some ways, this inner drive to practice for 10-14 hours all day every day from a young age is obsessive and an adversity when it comes to normal peer relationships, etc. Marc Yu, a pianist, would wake up in the middle of the night, sneak downstairs and practice more. His mother was worried about his insomnia. Additionally, in his mind, he could relate any aspect of life to music. Everything was a metaphor for music.

In studies of high achievement in the workplace, an aspect that contributed to high levels of performance vs normal or low was that the individual thought about how to improve performance outside of work and would analyze and evaluate minute details of their job responsibilities and how to improve. I saw the study in one of my business classes and can't remember the title, but I found it interesting.

Edit: Sorry for the rambling lol

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
''In order to get over the ethical difficulties presented by the naive naturalism of many parts of those Scriptures, in the divine authority of which he firmly believed, Philo borrowed from the Stoics (who had been in like straits in respect of Greek mythology), that great Excalibur which they had forged with infinite pains and skill—the method of allegorical interpretation. This mighty 'two-handed engine at the door' of the theologian is warranted to make a speedy end of any and every moral or intellectual difficulty, by showing that, taken allegorically or, as it is otherwise said, 'poetically' or, 'in a spiritual sense,' the plainest words mean whatever a pious interpreter desires they should mean.'' - Thomas Henry Huxley, The Evolution Of Theology: An Anthropological Study

Theological evolution and modern morality of religious non-fundamentalists in a nutshell. :biggrin:

Last edited:

moonkat235

What Sign is your Neptune? Sounds like a spacey, spiritual nature. M.M. did seem to have that quality, come to think about it. Sort of ethereal.

I've got the generational Neptune-Uranus conjunction on my AC in Capricorn. Neptune is 3 degrees exact from my AC in the 1H and Uranus is around 3 degrees away from Neptune, also in 1H.

I've been told by coworkers, acquaintances and friends that they find me to be an enigma at first and then generally come to the conclusion that they've never met someone like me and probably never will again. lol I'm never sure if that's a positive thing or just neutral or like negative. haha

Ukpoohbear

I related to Marilyn instinctively from a young age because she’s a lost child basically. No nastiness or meanness, just lost underwater in her problems, with no roots.

Neptune in 1st house would really give a beautiful nature for everybody I imagine. Neptune is wonderful, but also not to be underestimated just because it’s not strident or bombastic like the other outers, and comes with its difficulties too obviously.

But it doesn’t lack combativeness either, Neptune can hide in plain sight and can really connect to the unseen, using the power of others against them.

Neptune is where fairies and mermaids and every mystical creature unites to dance away the night in the sea of lost,beautiful souls!

moonkat235

"....there's no success like failure, and failure's no success at all."-{Bob Dylan}

The willingness to fail is absolutely integral to one's continuing success. My professor used to tell the class, 'give yourself the license to fail'. I take that to mean, take risks. Don't be so averse to high stakes that you play it safe all the time. Playing it safe, at least to me, entails (but is not limited to) going with the popular opinion, thinking inside the box, etc.

To me, thinking inside the box is when you're interested in one field or one idea, and you limit yourself to receiving only information aligned with your field/idea/beliefs. For instance, Marc Yu, that musical prodigy, could see music in every aspect of life and I think that greatly contributed to his success. It might have downfalls, like, you're a hammer and everything's a nail, but it can also have high rewards. He thought outside the box and didn't limit himself to preconceived constraints and opinions of what 'music' is.

david starling

''In order to get over the ethical difficulties presented by the naive naturalism of many parts of those Scriptures, in the divine authority of which he firmly believed, Philo borrowed from the Stoics (who had been in like straits in respect of Greek mythology), that great Excalibur which they had forged with infinite pains and skill—the method of allegorical interpretation. This mighty 'two-handed engine at the door' of the theologian is warranted to make a speedy end of any and every moral or intellectual difficulty, by showing that, taken allegorically or, as it is otherwise said, 'poetically' or, 'in a spiritual sense,' the plainest words mean whatever a pious interpreter desires they should mean.'' - Thomas Henry Huxley, The Evolution Of Theology: An Anthropological Study

Theological evolution and modern morality of religious non-fundamentalists in a nutshell. :biggrin:

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen, philosophers and divines." -{Ralph Waldo Emerson}

moonkat235

Another example of thinking inside the box, imo, is when authors of say, fantasy, read exclusively fantasy novels. It's hard to make a meaningful and 'original' (whatever that means) plot and set of dynamic characters. I really feel like pushing the envelope of what it means to write in a certain genre is very cool.

I think authors who write meaningful pieces, go out into the world and fail and are rejected and really experience life, developing their own unique perspective along the way. A lot of research and experience should go into writing. When I was writing fantasy novels consistently, I would read a lot of nonfiction for inspiration: history, anthropology, grammar, music (I enjoyed reading movie scores especially), current events, pop physics, biology, etc. In hindsight, I think I drew inspiration from too limited a pool. I never wrote anything I'm particularly proud of, but I reserve the right to try again in the future. lol

Anyway, I think anyone who has a high level of success sees the world through the pattern of their interest, but I probably should investigate this thought more.

I'm really on a ramble today. Feel free to stop me any time! haha

moonkat235

I related to Marilyn instinctively from a young age because she’s a lost child basically. No nastiness or meanness, just lost underwater in her problems, with no roots.

Neptune in 1st house would really give a beautiful nature for everybody I imagine. Neptune is wonderful, but also not to be underestimated just because it’s not strident or bombastic like the other outers, and comes with its difficulties too obviously.

But it doesn’t lack combativeness either, Neptune can hide in plain sight and can really connect to the unseen, using the power of others against them.

Neptune is where fairies and mermaids and every mystical creature unites to dance away the night in the sea of lost,beautiful souls!

I do wonder if Neptune on my AC in 1H has anything to do with my unusual dissociative issues and ongoing identity confusion. lol

Edit: I was thinking of the lost child concept you gave at the beginning of this quote.

Last edited:

david starling

Another example of thinking inside the box, imo, is when authors of say, fantasy, read exclusively fantasy novels. It's hard to make a meaningful and 'original' (whatever that means) plot and set of dynamic characters. I really feel like pushing the envelope of what it means to write in a certain genre is very cool.

I think authors who write meaningful pieces, go out into the world and fail and are rejected and really experience life, developing their own unique perspective along the way. A lot of research and experience should go into writing. When I was writing fantasy novels consistently, I would read a lot of nonfiction for inspiration: history, anthropology, grammar, music (I enjoyed reading movie scores especially), current events, pop physics, biology, etc. In hindsight, I think I drew inspiration from too limited a pool. I never wrote anything I'm particularly proud of, but I reserve the right to try again in the future. lol

Anyway, I think anyone who has a high level of success sees the world through the pattern of their interest, but I probably should investigate this thought more.

I'm really on a ramble today. Feel free to stop me any time! haha

You're a published author?

moonkat235

The Harry Potter phenomenon affected an entire generation. It's not great fantasy [IMO], but the timing was impeccable.

Have you ever read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan? Fabulous. It's on that next level epic fantasy like Tolkien. It's actually fairly Tolkien-esque, but it goes so much deeper and the interweaving plots and dynamic characterization is inspirational to me. It's far better than Game of Thrones, imo.