Ambition and Vocation

Flapjacks

We talk a lot about how people's professions are shown in a chart, which combines with a person's interests and personality needs, their work and talents. But what in a chart indicates a lack of ambition in life?

I'm wondering if it would be a prominent Venus, or mutable planet dominance. Any ideas?

Iced8Ace

Hi,

This is a good question as I have been... somewhat apathetic about my future career and things I should care about for quite some time. I will attempt to sort you out.

I would definitely say mutuable influence or an unfocused Saturn. I have Pisces Saturn and it is no picnic as Saturn cannot preform it's proper functions through transcendental and higher spiritual matters. It is earthy and bound to mundane events, which I don't care about. Strong Pisces influence is a huge culprit for coming off as not ambitious. Hard aspects from tough planets to either the IC or MC can cause you to be held back. I.e Pluto hard aspect to the IC and MC can mean controlling parent, I've learned and can stifle your personal development.

Mutuable signs do not know what they want. I suffer from mutuable syndrome, (MS) in which I have a square from my Jupiter to other planets (Saturn, Moon, Mercury) and I abhor sitting still, yet I do not know what I want. Mutuable signs in a barrel.

waybread

I think there is more than one signature, and not everyone with the following will lack ambition:

1. Grand trines. Life goes OK for these people, whether they get that university degree or job application off on time. (A kite, combining the grand trine with two sextiles and an opposition has more initiative.)

2. Sun in an intercepted sign.

3. A lot of Pisces-- not just Saturn. Because at its best this sign deals with total acceptance of what is.

4. A lot of Gemini or prominent Uranus. Here the person has so many interests that it is hard to focus on one thing persistently. Solar Geminis can be the Peter Pan characters of the zodiac.

I don't think mutability per see is a problem, because a lot of jobs require adaptability and flexibility. (Call it trouble-shooting.)

Birch Dragon

Waybread really has a way of getting out a lot of excellent information in a very focused way, in short posts people can read.
Another great post!

I was going to say "Grand Trines!"
The Pisces, yes, I've seen that...
The Gemini comment: I have Gemini MC (and Gemini Saturn) and I can see your point a little bit in myself. I'm ambitious, but I do stifle myself by holding fourteen projects in my head at the same time and failing to focus on getting them accomplished, one at a time...

waybread

Thanks, BD-- you just made my day.

Gemini and Virgo are ruled by Mercury-- the perpetual youth and a very versatile character in mythology. Sometimes these signs are late bloomers, or maintain a perpetually youthful stance toward life. This might be the perpetual student, for example. The good attribute of these signs is that it's nice to appear youthful in middle age and to stay current with the prevailing youth culture; but it can mean that there is a Peter Pan and the Lost Boys quality to such people: remember Mary Martin singing, "I won't Grow Up" in the musical version of Peter Pan?

Flapjacks

Wow, nice observations.

I think Iced8Ace makes good points about Saturn, too. I didn't think of that.

I definitely fall in the Gemini/Mercury and Uranus category. I have 12 things going on at once, too and never get anything done! I have trouble focusing and developing a skill fully because I'm interested in everything and I need to constantly change focus or I get bored/disinterested. I have Gemini rising, Mercury in the 3rd house Leo, Virgo Venus and Aquarius MC, for start.

I think there is a distinction however between ambition and actual accomplishments. :whistling:

Calvinsmom

I sure understand this question and would love to chime in.

I am a cancer rising leo. Sun in 2nd, opposed Saturn in 8th. Uranus in 2nd, opposed Pisces moon in in 9th. Aries Jupier in 10th trine sun. Libra mars in 3rd conj. ic.

I struggled for most of my life, feeling trapped and unwanted at work. 4 years ago,
my life took a turn for the better when I began working from home as an inspirational health healer and therapeutic touch counselor. I have a cash based income and I report everything to the IRS. Prior to this, and I am now 51 yrs. old; the only steady job I ever held was 8 yrs. in the military.

I have horrible ADD and due to a severely horrendous upbringing in a chaotic, dysfunctional household I am a bit emotionally challenged. Working alone and seeing clientele who are respectful and caring is the only way I can function anymore. I don't know why, but the latter adult years have been far better for me emotionally. I never had a long term relationship before and now I am blessed with one, he literally walked thru my door as a client.

I am a big believer in the power of positive thinking and spiritual transcendence. Probably because of sun trine Jupiter, moon trine Neptune and pisces moon 9th house with cancer rising and pluto in 3rd. I am definitely perceptive and am a detective at heart.

Hope my post helps someone out there. To work for myself and be my own best friend has saved me in so many ways and I am so grateful.

Osamenor

Staff member
Interesting to see those aspects mentioned. And I have another observation: ambition is often situational. Someone could have terrific birth chart placements for ambition energy, but not appear ambitious because they're not in a career or educational situation that works for the placements they have. The same kinds of placements that make someone ambitious might sink them and leave them feeling completely unmotivated if they're not pursuing the right kind of career.

And then there's ambition that doesn't fit our society's current definition of ambition. I have a friend, for instance, who's never had a career because of his disabilities and history of substance abuse and personal instability. For money, he draws disability. But he's been a social justice activist for years, and he creates terrific art. In those ways, I'd say he's ambitious, although ambitious is probably the last thing most people would ever call him! I've never seen his birth chart, so I don't know what kinds of placements he has. Wonder what they'd indicate.

Zarathu

Account Closed
4. A lot of Gemini or prominent Uranus. Here the person has so many interests that it is hard to focus on one thing persistently. Solar Geminis can be the Peter Pan characters of the zodiac.

I don't think mutability per see is a problem, because a lot of jobs require adaptability and flexibility. (Call it trouble-shooting.)

This really depends on a lot of other things. I have an overwhelming mount of Gemini AND a very prominent Uranus, including a solar Gemini in my chart but was dogged in my ambition. But I also had a very strong and very high friction Saturn. Also, while astrology doesn't specifically measure IQ, a person with a very high IQ is capable of dealing with a large number of projects and do well in all of them, much the same way that a grand chess master moves from game to game playing a multiple of opponents of much inferior quality.

kailaniatsea

A lack of ambition can manifest out of many reasons, and it isn't always laziness. For example, a bigot may lack ambition because they stick to all that is familiar and go nowhere. A substance abuse may lack ambition because all that they want to do is use drugs. Having said this, I would observe some patterns (prominent Neptune, weak Mars, strong Venus and afflicted Mercury). These planets alone may not indicated lack of ambition. I knew a Pisces fella with Mars square Neptune and he lacked that drive. He was quite comfortable with the status quo and refused to change.

dexter

I sure understand this question and would love to chime in.

I am a cancer rising leo. Sun in 2nd, opposed Saturn in 8th. Uranus in 2nd, opposed Pisces moon in in 9th. Aries Jupier in 10th trine sun. Libra mars in 3rd conj. ic.

I struggled for most of my life, feeling trapped and unwanted at work. 4 years ago,
my life took a turn for the better when I began working from home as an inspirational health healer and therapeutic touch counselor. I have a cash based income and I report everything to the IRS. Prior to this, and I am now 51 yrs. old; the only steady job I ever held was 8 yrs. in the military.

I have horrible ADD and due to a severely horrendous upbringing in a chaotic, dysfunctional household I am a bit emotionally challenged. Working alone and seeing clientele who are respectful and caring is the only way I can function anymore. I don't know why, but the latter adult years have been far better for me emotionally. I never had a long term relationship before and now I am blessed with one, he literally walked thru my door as a client.

I am a big believer in the power of positive thinking and spiritual transcendence. Probably because of sun trine Jupiter, moon trine Neptune and pisces moon 9th house with cancer rising and pluto in 3rd. I am definitely perceptive and am a detective at heart.

Hope my post helps someone out there. To work for myself and be my own best friend has saved me in so many ways and I am so grateful.

HI, I feel the same unwanted at work, quit my job an I am wondering what to do now. Career and relatinships r suffering as I am quite challenged emotionally. I am single and wonder if I shd marry

can u see my chart n suggest something

Scorpio Asc, sun moon saturn in 1st house
jup, moon 4th house in Acqarius
Rahu in 5th house Pisces
ketu 11th house Virgo
Venus, Merc, Pluto in 12th house Libra
This is as per Vedic astrology

I am also had a horrible childhood n felt unwanted wherever I went.
pls revert

Bunraku

This really depends on a lot of other things. I have an overwhelming mount of Gemini AND a very prominent Uranus, including a solar Gemini in my chart but was dogged in my ambition. But I also had a very strong and very high friction Saturn. Also, while astrology doesn't specifically measure IQ, a person with a very high IQ is capable of dealing with a large number of projects and do well in all of them, much the same way that a grand chess master moves from game to game playing a multiple of opponents of much inferior quality.

What in a chart implies a high/exceptional IQ?
Also you believe that IQ can be inherited?

Jelena

Bunraku: it is scientifically proven that IQ is inherited. And in astrology signs of exceptional IQ is Conjuction of Mercury and Jupiter or Mercury and Uranus (Uranus is the Genious and Jupiter expands).

As for the topic. Badly placed Mars indicates lack of ambition. It has nothing to do with Saturn. Mars is the one that thrives and wants to move forwards. Saturn is static and grounded, wants to create a system, wants a discipline and order. Of course, these two have to work as a team. If you have strong Saturn and badly placed Mars it won't be easy for you to activate yourself. If you have strong Mars and badly placed Sa, you will be in action, but not the constructive one.