Is An Asc Of 3 Degrees Too Soon To Tell?

jenluvsblackcat

Hello,

I read that early Asc below 3 degrees show that a chart is not meant to be read as of yet due to too many variables. Can a chart with a 3 degree Asc be read with accuracy?

Anachiel

Traditionally, it is a consideration to...well, consider before just jumping into the chart. It is said that less than 3 degrees (or 3 degrees itself is early). But, if it is 3 degrees and some odd minutes...perhaps. It is still something that jumps out to consider about the timing or prematurity or something similar about the matter. Perhaps something is just coming to light, beginning to be possible, but still quite in the early stages at this time.

Anachiel

Well, usually the matter will change itself in some way or some significant event will happen that renders the original question obsolete.

Generally, if you ask a question and get an early (or late) ASC, the matter is in some flux and will automatically change, taking the original matter/concern/idea with it as new circumstances are presented.

dr. farr

Prior to Guido Bonatti (13th century AD), the degree ascending made no difference to the early horary authors (eg al-Kindi, Sahl, al-Biruni), nor did (nor does to the present time) it make any difference in Vedic horary (prasna shastra) Since the 13th century and the great influence of Guido Bonatti the consideration of how many degrees ascend, has become important in standard Western horary dogma.

For me, influenced by the oldtime (real oldtime!) authors, and somewhat by Vedic thinking as well, I only draw the line if the ascendant is earlier than 1 degree (or later than 29 degrees)-seems to work well for me at least!

jenluvsblackcat

I find the flexibility of horary fascinating...I guess an adept astrologer can go with their gut first and foremost, and likely over time, astrologers made systems to decipher if a question was grounded enough for inspection. Likewise if you were going to get into a chart with a late ascendant, wouldn't you want to know what the chart was all about, and since it's a late ascendant, wouldn't it already confirm your suspicion? Sometimes confirmation about our own intuition is important.

I've had one chart on here where the ascendant was deemed too early (1 degree) and some folks said that the answer to the query was no - while others said it was too soon to tell.
They both could be right, seeing that the question I posed had no definitive amount of time ascribed to it... so the early ascendant was indicative of the nature of the question.

I think horary is a powerful tool and it continues to fascinate me.

Culpeper

Premium Member
From my reading of the Medieval astrologers, the considerations were developed to evaluate their client's questions. A querent might not know how to ask the question, or mean something else or it is just a frivolous question or is actually trying to trick the astrologer. If doing charts for your own questions (that was not recommended), I am sure that you are not trying to trick yourself, but some of those other things may apply. If you are an experienced astrologer you can use the considerations as part of the delineation. The 3 degrees seems like an arbitrary number to give a student. However, I have found that if considerations are present, the chart is often unreliable.

tikana

Hello,

I read that early Asc below 3 degrees show that a chart is not meant to be read as of yet due to too many variables. Can a chart with a 3 degree Asc be read with accuracy?

If you have something in 0 to 2.59 deg of whatever sign is asce in your natal/progressed chart, the chart is valid and 100% readable.

if you get a chart with 3.00- and up, read the chart.
If it is in in Fixed sign, it means that whatever changes happend which triggered you to ask a question, will be perm and long term.
If it is in cardinal, expect fast movement
if it is in mutable, expect fluctuation but pay attention to what the moon is doing UNLESS she rules the matter you asked about.

T

Alice McDermott

Prior to Guido Bonatti (13th century AD), the degree ascending made no difference to the early horary authors (eg al-Kindi, Sahl, al-Biruni), nor did (nor does to the present time) it make any difference in Vedic horary (prasna shastra) Since the 13th century and the great influence of Guido Bonatti the consideration of how many degrees ascend, has become important in standard Western horary dogma.

For me, influenced by the oldtime (real oldtime!) authors, and somewhat by Vedic thinking as well, I only draw the line if the ascendant is earlier than 1 degree (or later than 29 degrees)-seems to work well for me at least!

I agree with Dr. Farr as my own experience bears this out.

In addition, over the past few years I have been using duads and duad degrees extensively in horary and quite often the person asking the question has the duad of the horary Ascendant prominent as a zodiac sign in their natal chart - often to the degree. This often gives me a strong clue as to the motive behind the question. If you discard the first three degrees, then you are discarding the whole of the first duad and part of the second.

I have wondered if this stricture came about to allow for potential inaccuracy in calculating the chart, otherwise I haven't found any good reason for it.

Alice