How to graduate from Astrology 101

Moog

If you don't have enthusiasm for the subject, you're pretty much sunk as an astrologer.

Anything less than obsession, you might as well forget it.

JUPITERASC

If you don't have enthusiasm for the subject, you're pretty much sunk as an astrologer.

Anything less than obsession, you might as well forget it.
Just a basic interest is good as well - an interest in solving puzzles that are more than one-dimensional - you don't have to be 'obsessed' with astrology, although of course some could be! :smile:

Moog

Well sure, if you still want to be figuring it out 60 years down the line.

I see a lot of people coming along to this forum saying they've been into astrology for xx years, and they are just grasping basics.

I thought the point of this thread was getting people beyond the 101

You won't do that as a dabbler.

JUPITERASC

Well sure, if you still want to be figuring it out 60 years down the line
It's ok to 'figure it out' for 60 seconds, 60 minutes, 60 weeks, 60 months or even 60 years - there are no rules as to how long anyone wants to take to learn the subject

Although obviously if one needs or wants to have paying customers then its obviously best to master the subject well before 60 years have passed!! :smile:

However, it's a good recommendation for astrology that people find the subject so interesting that they have actually studied it for 60 years!!

I see a lot of people coming along to this forum saying they've been into astrology for xx years, and they are just grasping basics

That's their opinion of course and they are entitled to that... after all to a beginner, someone who has been learning astrology for a year would seem amazingly expert!!

And I have noticed though that many of the people on this forum who frequently say they are still finding out new things on astrology are in fact already pretty well informed on the subject - dr.farr for example

I thought the point of this thread was getting people beyond the 101

You won't do that as a dabbler.
The OP then needs to clarify as to what 'beyond the 101' means then :smile:

gen6k

books: these people have intimate one to one experience and generally have been studying for more than a few years. downsides are: too pop orientated to make money, one sided view (their natal), the intepretations are incommunicable for all situations. tedious and long winded.

its important to read your moon phase book or more pedantic topics as well. the moon is top 2 and people often miss how the phase alters the orientation.

online webpages: can range from very weak to precise but too general. it is hard for them to spell out any situation. its up to you to recreate and extend the direction. intepretations are too short and superficial at times.

forums: many different views and factors not possible in either books or webpages. intepretations are usually not full range and maybe filled with fragmented jargon.

youtube videos: usually good presentations of signs and houses if several are looked at. they concentrate on solar house which are speaking for all sun signs of that. good amount of technical content also available.

self-knowledge: this is important, but at first its too easy to lack proportion and project things. can learn the real intricacies of the self here then tell others.

real life or real life representations: you have to anchor it in actual situations that you've experienced. notice how every music video is an astrological archetype. think inside the consciousness of astrology.

signs are modes of consciousness tauruses think in everyday type practical situations and quietly contemplate in a semi negative fashion to make sure that its an appropriate movement. make sure you get astrology from all the views of the zodiac.

Moog

It's ok to 'figure it out' for 60 seconds, 60 minutes, 60 weeks, 60 months or even 60 years - there are no rules as to how long anyone wants to take to learn the subject

Although obviously if one needs or wants to have paying customers then its obviously best to master the subject well before 60 years have passed!! :smile:

However, it's a good recommendation for astrology that people find the subject so interesting that they have actually studied it for 60 years!!

That's their opinion of course and they are entitled to that... after all to a beginner, someone who has been learning astrology for a year would seem amazingly expert!!

And I have noticed though that many of the people on this forum who frequently say they are still finding out new things on astrology are in fact already pretty well informed on the subject - dr.farr for example

The OP then needs to clarify as to what 'beyond the 101' means then :smile:

Sure, whatever, I don't need things so precise to express a thought.

I think I made my point... you want to get good, invest.

You want to fiddle a bit, knock yourself out.

JUPITERASC

books: these people have intimate one to one experience and generally have been studying for more than a few years. downsides are: too pop orientated to make money, one sided view (their natal), the intepretations are incommunicable for all situations. tedious and long winded.

its important to read your moon phase book or more pedantic topics as well. the moon is top 2 and people often miss how the phase alters the orientation.

online webpages: can range from very weak to precise but too general. it is hard for them to spell out any situation. its up to you to recreate and extend the direction. intepretations are too short and superficial at times.

forums: many different views and factors not possible in either books or webpages. intepretations are usually not full range and maybe filled with fragmented jargon.

youtube videos: usually good presentations of signs and houses if several are looked at. they concentrate on solar house which are speaking for all sun signs of that. good amount of technical content also available.

self-knowledge: this is important, but at first its too easy to lack proportion and project things. can learn the real intricacies of the self here then tell others.

real life or real life representations: you have to anchor it in actual situations that you've experienced. notice how every music video is an astrological archetype. think inside the consciousness of astrology.

signs are modes of consciousness tauruses think in everyday type practical situations and quietly contemplate in a semi negative fashion to make sure that its an appropriate movement. make sure you get astrology from all the views of the zodiac.
Good advice :smile:

FarEastUranus

As far as interpretative precision is concerned, Moog is amazing! She's the only person who's interacted with me on this forum who pinpointed to me things to my sidereal chart that were consistently spot-on! I mean everything, no "your father was either absent or over-attentive", or "your career is either in arts or advertising/banking", that type of wishy-washy information.

I think she has nothing to prove here.

As a result, I have purchased the two Vedic astrology books she highly recommended through an Indian friend. I am waiting to hone my skills when I'm there.
http://magneticmoon.tumblr.com/post/29353286566/i-want-to-jyotish

Thank you Moog!

However, I think we can learn something from everybody. "Out of every three people who walk on the street, there's one from whom I can learn something from," thus said Confucius, one of the wisest man in Chinese history. I learned a lot about Western astrology through some forum members here, and I think they know who they are:)

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

As far as interpretative precision is concerned, Moog is amazing! She's the only person who's interacted with me on this forum who pinpointed to me things to my sidereal chart that were consistently spot-on! I mean everything, no "your father was either absent or over-attentive", or "your career is either in arts or advertising/banking", that type of wishy-washy information.

I think she has nothing to prove here.

As a result, I have purchased the two Vedic astrology books she highly recommended through an Indian friend. I am waiting to hone my skills when I'm there.
http://magneticmoon.tumblr.com/post/29353286566/i-want-to-jyotish

Thank you Moog!
Great news FarEastUranus!! And well done to Moog :smile:
However, I think we can learn something from everybody. "Out of every three people who walk on the street, there's one from whom I can learn something from," thus said Confucius, one of the wisest man in Chinese history. I learned a lot about Western astrology through some forum members here, and I think they know who they are:)

Moog

Thanks.

One day, when I really know what I'm doing, I hope I'll be able to do an even better job.

I'd also recommend Vault of the Heavens by Ernst Wilhelm. Been reading this one. It's got a lot in it.

Ryan Kurczak

I've been at this a long time, and still feel like I'm just scratching the surface.

It helps to really apply what you know to charts that you have for people that you already know stuff about. Then you get to see how it all works.

It helps to explore specific techniques and mathematical centered astrology, and not just intuition. Intuition is great, but you shouldn't need it for astrology. (It helps us when we don't understand the specifics fully. Yet it can make astrology more like reading Tarot.)

Understand the basics. Think about how the lord of one house might influence another house by being in that house.

Example, what would you imagine the lord of the 8th (death, transformation, etc.) might mean tenanting the 3rd house (of siblings)? Be sure to look for confluence. The more something is indicated the more certain you can be that it will occur.

Find a system you truly resonate with. Read all you can about it. Apply what you learn to as many charts as you have. Keep on studying.

Find a teacher that you resonate with, and go through charts with that teacher. Having an objective guide can be invaluable.

Moog's advice is also very good!

Claire19

The advanced folks here:

I am wondering if you feel that this forum is really helpful in improving your skills synthesizing charts, or is it mostly entertainment and escape, which of course has all of its validity?

Once we understand the basics of signs, houses, aspects, the Astrology 101 stuff, what I find the most difficult is to discern patterns and synthesize the bits and pieces into a coherent story that really resonate with the native's deepest concerns.

Besides it being a skill and a talent, a calling and a gift, what made you progress the most as an astrologer? What made you break through to advanced level? What were the "aha" moments?

Please share your most memorable experiences here so that we can learn from you!
As an astrologer for 30 years I can say that you need to analyse as many charts as you can. Celebrities and the well known is a good idea and of course a thorough knowledge of astrological principles to use. I use only major planets and major aspects and concentrate on the moons nodes as well. The fixed stars and asteroids are not valid in my opinion and now Pluto is out of the equation as well. You need to know your own chart backwards before you can even begin to analyse others.

Keep it as simple as possible and concentrate on major aspects only.

JUPITERASC

Astrologers use varying techniques, some modern, some ancient, some traditional :smile:
Being a Traditional Astrologer, I start with the Sect Ruler.

Granted, that doctrine is messed up because of poor understanding and mistranslations over the centuries,

but if you pick the Light of the Sect as Sect Ruler, then you have a 1-in-4 to 1-in-3 chance of being right.

You can increase the odds by eliminating Planets that are not in-Sect.

The Sect Ruler determines the Native's overall health and vitality, their resistance to diseases and illnesses, the chances of accidents and injuries, and the ability to recover for illness/disease, or injuries, and how fast that recovery takes place.

Everyone delineates charts differently,

I used to go House-to-House,

but now go Planet-to-Planet,

but starting with the 1st Sign, you'd delineate the Native's general physical appearance....

miquar

But how do we learn to synthesize?

Hi FarEastUranus. If you are still involved in this thread, then sorry I didn't notice this until the thread was resurrected recently.

I think that the idea of the astrological alphabet is very useful, because it makes it easier to spot themes in the chart. For example, if someone has Mars rising and two planets in Aries, then this is an emphasis on the '1st letter' - if they also have Sun conjunct Jupiter and a few planets in the 9th house, then they also have an emphasis on the 9th letter. So immediately you know that this person is a crusader at heart, because this is something that the signs of Aries and Sagittarius have in common.

Or if someone has an emphasis on both the 8th and 10th letters, then self-determination is going to be an issue, because finding a balanced approach to this issue is part of the Scorpio path and also the Capricorn path.